An Exile's Musings in Hanseti-Ruska

UnusualBrit

An Exile’s Musings in Hanseti-Ruska

Gildroc Goldhand sat in his small apartment in the royal city of Karosgrad, in the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, bent over a small table. A journal was laid on the desk, scattered papers piled up beside him from his Ambassadorial work that had occupied him for the past few months. With a content expression, he set his pen to the journal and wrote out his thoughts.

‘From my recent time spent in the city of Karosgrad (three months at this point), I have found myself quite impressed by the customs and society of the Hanseti-Ruskan peoples, and most notably their sense of independence from the Imperial Domination from their neighbouring Southern Brethen. A state of nature that has existed for centuries at this point. A firm hierarchy is in place, where nobles rule over the commoners in great families of nobility; much like the clans of Urguan (with the elder and commoner clans) except the norm is blood relations and not adoption to a clan. These noble families (or clans in my peoples estimation) are shared by all other Umri nations. 

Their practice of democracy too, is shared by our own nation, though while we elect our Grand-King the title of ‘King of Hanseti-Ruska’ is hereditary. I stress my belief that our method is superior, but it has served it’s purpose for our erstwhile allies to the North for many hundreds of years. The Hanseti-Ruskan’s practice a different application of democracy, through the election of public officials to their ‘Duma’ (a sort of Legislative body). These officials may be commoner, or noble with two different positions to be elected to, with a Lord Speaker presiding over  meetings. 

Unlike with our own, the Grand-Council of Urguan, where members of the council are not elected but granted seats depending on their office or status as a clan leader of an elder clan. Furthermore, in this Duma only members may propose legislation though I find the process of voting in Legislation much speedier, with meetings held anually instead of bi-annualy with our Grand-Councils. (and such I will relay to the Lord Chancellor at the next opportunity.) Thus it is my solemn belief, that the Grand-Kingdom has a lot to learn from the practices of the Hanseti-Ruskan Duma. 

I have found the Hanseti-Ruskan people themselves to be good folk, hardy and loyal; much like dwarfs. If ever war is to come to the lands of Urguan as it fear it may in these coming months, the peoples of Hanseti-Ruska can be trusted to come to our aid. Therefore I stress that it is essential the ancient alliance that has existed for nigh on fifty years at this point is preserved, and in my capacity as Ambassador to Haense I will do what I can to do so.’

With that, he set the pen aside, and extinguished the lamp beside him. 

((OOC: This is a private Journal, and if ever published, would be after Gildroc Goldhand’s death.))