[✗] [Alchemy] Daily Utility Potions

Quavinir_Twiceborn

As alchemy spreads, and new minds find it, so to do the new minds find new mixtures, decoctions, and other such things to create and use. While many seek to find means with alchemy to slay their enemies, or shore up one’s own defenses, the potions and alchemical recipes found below were developed by more kind, gentle minds, or atleast ostensibly so, to make the lives of those around them better.

VTe1Luk.png

3UOjJ6g.png

Golden Salve

[Tier 2][Rare*]

Golden Salve, a light golden yellow- to vivid lemon yellow wax substance, was created from experiments intended to create an instant wound stabilizer (hence its incorrect name as a ‘salve’), though in truth was found useless at the task. However, further experiments with the substance yielded fantastic results for the preservation of perishable food for later consumption. Though despite the attempts of the salve’s horned creator, the salve itself is not edible, or atleast not advisably edible.

Commonly mixed with fragrant herbs to give it a pleasant smell, Golden Salve is among the few alchemical recipes that are both non-combative, yet easily utilized in one’s daily life.

Recipe:

▲︎ Base: Water

△︎ A handful of aurum dust x1

△︎ Mundane | Rigidity  x1

△︎ Mundane | Curtailment x3

△︎ Mundane | Order x1

Effects:

Spoiler

When used to seal a vessel, as one would with sealing wax, any contained perishable foodstuffs will be kept from rotting, growing mold, decaying, or otherwise being rendered less edible indefinitely, so long as the container remains sealed. Once unsealed, the foodstuffs will begin to decay or rot as they would normally, until the vessel is resealed with Golden Salve. This can be used to preserve any foodstuff from plants, to meats, to fish, and otherwise.It notably has no effect on the preservation of a limb to be re-attached, nor any effect on anything magical or otherwise. The only facet it necessarily preserves is an item’s edibility.

Golden salve otherwise acts as a standard wax with no beneficial or adverse effects otherwise. It may be used for stamps and seals, candles, and anything else standard wax may be used for with no issue.

One measure of Golden Salve counts as one gallon of the wax.

Redlines:

Spoiler

-The item has no effect on the preservation of magical effects or substances, such as genus in blood or the time limit to reattach a limb or any similar preservation mechanics, nor does it have any effect on the temperature of the contained foodstuffs. All it does is keep foodstuffs and drink from going bad.

-This item does not require an ST signature, nor does any item sealed with Golden Salve require an ST signature.

-*Though the recipe is classified as ‘rare’ any alchemist of tier 2 or above who obtains an item of Golden Salve itself, or an item with Golden Salve on it, is able to reverse engineer the recipe, and make more for themselves with no issue.

VTe1Luk.png

3xYvLOo.png

Energy Potion

[Tier 1][Common]

The Energy Potion, created by an alchemist who wished he could work for days on end, is a simple, bright green, effervescent potion that glows softly. When drank, it fills the imbiber with an intense energy, helping them to stay awake when they otherwise wouldn't.

A notably bitter, and acrid potion, it is not uncommon for it to be flavored extensively with substances such as coconut sap and anise to lessen the unpleasant flavor.

Recipe:
▲︎ Base: King’s Ivy Tincture

△︎ Mundane | Vigour 2x

△︎ Mundane | Instability 1x

△︎ Mundane | Light 1x

△︎ Mundane | Endurance 1x

Creation:

First, a full measure of King’s Ivy flowers must be dissolved in vinegar or alcohol.

Next, the vigour, and instability symbols must be added and stirred in, and left to settle.

Finally, the light and endurance symbols will be mixed in. Once this is done, the liquid should become effervescent, and begin to glow lightly.

Effects:

Spoiler

When imbibed, it will fill the user with an intense energy, akin to a caffeine high, for the next 18 narrative hours. During this time the imbiber will feel little to no fatigue from exertion, and are unable to go to sleep. Upon 18 hours elapsing, the imbiber will become extremely tired, and within an hour of the potion wearing off, will inevitably crash, and fall into a deep slumber. This slumber, while caused from the crash, is not magical in nature, and the imbiber can be woken up from it at any time, however, they will be tired until they have slept a total of 10 narrative hours to remove the tiredness. *However, the crash may be induced early through any form of  significant wound, injury, or poisoning, that would have the capability to cause shock. Hence, a significant cut or stab, breaking or fracturing a bone, minor blunt force trauma to the head, etc, would cause one to immediately become tired, and if not intentionally resting within the next few minutes, will promptly loose consciosness.

It should be noted the potion does not grant one additional strength or constitution, all it does is make one not feel tired. Additionally, it does not remove the physiological  symptoms of exertion and stress, it simply allows one to not be tired from exertion.

Attempting a 2nd dose of the potion, either during the effect-time, or during the crash, will have no effect. One must have the duration of the potion, and the sleep-time of the crash fully elapse before another dose of the potion may take effect.

One may have a full dose of this potion be as condensed as 4 fluid ounces, or diluted in as much as 18 ounces of liquid. However, even if it is mixed with other things, it shall always remain glowing, effervescent, and bright green.  

Redlines:

Spoiler

-This potion has no effect on tiredness caused through magical casting, or from magical means, potions, or spells; Such as frost oil causing torpor to those cut with such. 

-Additionally, this potion shall not cause someone casting to not be tired from their casting. 

-This potion necessitates the entirety to be drunk to have an effect. One cannot drink half of it, and have half the effect.

-This potion does not require an ST signature.

-*The 'crash' may be induced whilst under the effect of the potion with any significant injury, anything more than what would be considered a 'nick' with a blunt or slashing weapon, or should the user break or fracture a bone. This is added as specifically the energy potion is not intended to be a combat buff. It is intended for non-combative purposes.

VTe1Luk.png

2mMX9pu.png

Liquid Ice
[Tier 2][Common]

Initially made in an attempt to combat various fire breathing beasts,the created liquid in the end had little combative uses. The potion of Liquid Ice is simply that, a glowing, sparkly light blue liquid which is freezing cold, yet remains liquid, commonly coating its bottle its contained within with a thin layer of frost.

Recipe:

▲︎ Base: Seawater

△︎ Water | Freezing 2x
△︎ Water | Cold 2x

△︎ Mundane | Grace 4x

Effects: 

Spoiler

The potion’s use is just as its name ascribes, it is a freezing cold liquid. Consistently remaining at around 3 degrees fahrenheit. It has no effect when drunk, causing a frigid feeling as it goes down one’s gullet, but becoming nullified the moment it reaches the stomach and mixed with one’s stomach acids. If one were to boil it over a fire, it would slowly heat, before boiling and evaporating as any other water, but most reasonable temperatures (anything below 250 degrees fharenheit) will have no effect on the liquid. 

Many times either put into small vessels and dropped into liquid as ice cubes, poured into hot furnaces to immediately lower their temperature or simply bottled and kept in small insulated boxes to cool other drinks, liquid ice is simply as it is, ice but liquid. However, it itself will never freeze, and it is possible to saturate items within liquid ice for a long period of time to lower their temperature to freezing, in a manner similar to if it was surrounded by a layer of packed ice.

When thrown or tossed, it would have the same effects as tossing ice-water onto someone, and little more.

One measure of this potion constitutes one half gallon, though a single potion item may intentionally hold less. 

Redlines:

Spoiler

-Liquid ice cannot be treated onto clothing or similar for an athin-like effect. 

-Liquid ice is cold, though is not necessarily fire resistant, only so far as being as fire resistant as water of a similar temperature.

-This potion does not require an ST signature.

VTe1Luk.png

Purpose:

I will aim to be brief, as  I tend to ramble in these sections. There are many many many potions on LOTC, yet I struggle to find potions that may be utilized in the daily life of the alchemist, or others which the potions are shared with. Most are combat focussed, or heavily situational. These are intended to be utilitarian potions with much less situational uses, and the capabilities to be used in the daily life of characters on LOTC.

As for the individual purpose for the choice of each of these potions-

Golden Salve:

Spoiler

Golden Salve was made moreso in frustration of certain things existing ingame. Wet preservation of any sort've meat or egg-based product wasn't really viable until well into the pre-modern era, and certainly wouldnt be possible in the techlock of LOTC, however, things such as canned sardines and meats, gravies, etc, have been made and simply allowed because its such an insignificant thing to really get on people about. Rather than making a tirade on how much canned goods shouldnt exist on LOTC, I thought it better to write in a viable means FOR such to exist in some form, for it is clear atleast a few members of the playerbase want such. That said, I did my best to make it unique and interesting, and able to be utilized in fun ways.

Energy Potion:

Spoiler

This is probably a bit less specifically helpful to a specific part of the playerbase, but one of the biggest staples of fantasy media is stamina potions. From Elder Scrolls, to Zelda to even Dark Souls to a lesser extent, and I found it somewhat silly we didnt have such. However, given the loopholey world of LOTC, such would have to be properly balanced, and carefully redlined to not allow it to interfere or nullify systems outside of itself.

Liquid Ice:

Spoiler

This is another one made in a bit of frustration. As of current, the world of LOTC does have means for refridgeration, freezing things, etc, however, it means are mainly through magic, or /Athin/. Athin is an ST signed herb that requires an ST signed item for whatever its applied to. However, many on LOTC simply want it for passive cooling, or refrigeration, or otherwise, hence necessitating them to go through ST to have what in essence is simply a slice-of-life item allowed. I think this is silly, and I think making a playersigned alternative with much easier balancing and less combat use to be a significant improvement.

Citations:

Potion images from "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword".

energy potion seems a bit overpowered when coupled with melee combat of any kind as it states "little to no fatigue" would effect them for 18 narrative hours. personally if someone handed me this i'd be using it in combat to have unstoppable energy. i'd make it ST-signed if it stays that way

ice water bottle seems incredibly useless but ig it could cool food

gold salve is alright

21 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

energy potion seems a bit overpowered when coupled with melee combat of any kind as it states "little to no fatigue" would effect them for 18 narrative hours. personally if someone handed me this i'd be using it in combat to have unstoppable energy. i'd make it ST-signed if it stays that way

ice water bottle seems incredibly useless but ig it could cool food

gold salve is alright

While initially I may agree, its intent is moreso for labor or workaholics forcing themselves to stay up at night, a story I saw massively in my previous line of IRL work, (seeing people buy 6 5 hour energies, and slam them all down at once to deal with the day) and admittedly I've yet to see exertion or tiredness have an application in combat RP or ever really be brought up, especially since most CRP sessions happen in what would be only a few minutes or so narrative time, and the time-told reasons for lack of exertion such as 'shock' or 'adrenaline' or 'Im just very angry'. Though it may be prudent to write in something as to discourage combat use. I'll probably edit it to address said concern.

You'd be surprised how much people would use athin or even thanhium for stuff like refrigerators, and allll that needs ST signatures. General temperature control with a low capacity to be abuseable is something I feel LOTC could use, especially with something better defined and more consistent.

Golden Salve was the first thought up of the trio so its a bit more tight.

idk, i've been in crps where it'd be very very good to use in application- did a dungeon crawl st event months back that took a total of 18 hours of rp/crp to complete, and recently some others half as long. i'm not sure how to make it not good in combat, or maybe it should be good with an ST signature- perhaps make two quantities, a 20ml flask and a larger bottle that can be consumed for different effects; non-combat and combat. it's just hard to argue it can't be used in combat, soldiers irl drink energy drinks before heading out just about every time when available

liquid ice is fine tho yea, just felt like cramming raw athins in a chest would have the same result, but a bottle is a lil more flavorful so thats fair

Potion of Pedialyte 

On 12/8/2021 at 5:00 AM, Ryloth said:

energy potion seems a bit overpowered when coupled with melee combat of any kind as it states "little to no fatigue" would effect them for 18 narrative hours.

>people emoting fatigue in melee combat

energy potion is literally no different than ye old mana potion. neither should be allowed considering that they're just bland, undefined power boosts.

15 hours ago, IsaaKc said:

>people emoting fatigue in melee combat

energy potion is literally no different than ye old mana potion. neither should be allowed considering that they're just bland, undefined power boosts.

Red Bull gives you wings.

This lore has been denied. Self Denied.