[Shelved][✓] [Alchemy] Infernal Alchemy Ammendments

Foreword: 
Due to the relatively small scale of these ammendments and length of this piece, this submission will not be obeying any specific format. It is to serve predominantly as a short list of changes to be edited into the pre-existing Infernal Alchemy lore, this post itself to be discarded, hidden or otherwise forgotten upon its acceptance. 

Rokodra

I wish to amend the following line from currently accepted Infernal Alchemy lore, reading: 

"It is bizarrely chilled to the touch and can even cause skin to go numb if held or touched for longer than a minute for non-inferis; mortals who wear rokodra armor often layer leather beneath"

And the associated from currently accepted Infernal Alchemy lore, reading:

"Rokodra will numb skin to the point of uselessness after one minute of physical touch. In this regard Rokodra is useless without sufficient protection of leather or thicker materials between it and skin."

The intent behind the 'leather or thicker materials' used as a layer of separation between the skin-numbing metal and the wearer was carried over from Rokodra's first mention in lore - the Gifts of the Red Prince piece from 2018 - with the intent of adding a whimsical, niche and cumbersome means for select Naztherak to use a metal otherwise written as 'forbidden' to descendants thanks to its demonic origin.

Unfortunately, due to the most-effective-tactics-available (META) mindset of many players, the intent behind this caveat has been long since forgotten with the wide spread of Infernal Alchemy. It is soon to be a reality in the server that everyone with the minas to buy a suit of rokodra armour described as having a leather interior lining has already or soon will become completely and totally immune to fire, without much thought for the moral implications of wearing a metal solely forged by sacrificing people and animals to demonic overlords. An issue further compounded by the reality that the likes of Fire Evokers, Alchemical Explosives, Heralds of Azdromoth and Azdrazi are effectively made inert against anyone and everyone with the foresight to carry a named MC item.

Therefore, I would propose the following line be edited to replace the aforementioned effects quotation:

"It is bizarrely chilled to the touch and can even cause skin to go numb if held or touched for longer than a minute for all but Inferi and Naztherak (T3 and up), to whom their native metal feels blood-warm and comforting to hold, alongside any creatures with an inborn immunity or resistance to extreme cold. This is only circumvented by the likes of wooden boards backing shields, or wooden grips on Rokodra blades which - whilst still always cold to the touch - will suffice in thwarting the numbing effects of this cursed metal."

Therefore, I would propose the following line be edited to replace the aforementioned redline quotation:

"Rokodra will numb descendant skin to the point of uselessness after one minute of physical touch. In this regard Rokodra is useless without a degree of seperation from wood or other solid materials, making it far too restrictive to be worn as armour."

Siegsmund's Candles

I wish to omit any mention or requirement for "Witchwax" and/or "Witchtallow" from the creation process of Siegsmund's/ Sigismund's Candles, using "Lard" as a substitute. As helpfully highlighted to me by @Zhulik a few weeks ago in a voice chat, thanks to their re-write into Infernal Alchemy from their original lore - Siegsmund's Incence/ Siegsmund's Candles in 2019 - the origin of the piece (as well as my personally intended usage of it) became muddled with the new addition of Witchtallow to the recipe. 

To state plainly, the candles - invented by canonist priests and marked men from days of yore, intended to be burned in churches and other hallowed places to ward away evil spirits - have since lost their place in any moral applications since the recipe was changed. And consequentially the item has all but vanished from roleplay usage since this change. The main reason for this being that what was once intended as a strange, ritualistic recipe involving descendant remains and a myriad of herbs now explicitly requires users to paint a pentagram in blood, decorate it with demonic symols and perform human or animal sacrifices to obtain one of its key components. 

Given the already limited actual uses for Siegsmund's Candles, this requirement casting aside the moral implications also renders the item not worth the work. Something which coupled with the occultist methods required of the new recipe and the subsequent lack of 'narrative worth' has crippled the recipe, and I would like to see rectified. 

I'm unsure if I'm able to post here, but I am wondering how the Rokodra change will effect undead personas. Every person I've seen wearing Rokodra is some form of undead mystic or a siliti - would this change effect their ability to wear it as well or would their undead/blood-bag nature make them immune?

Edited by Letharian

33 minutes ago, Letharian said:

I'm unsure if I'm able to post here, but I am wondering how the Rokodra change will effect undead personas. Every person I've seen wearing Rokodra is some form of undead mystic or a siliti - would this change effect their ability to wear it as well or would their undead/blood-bag nature make them immune?

Undead creatures do not feel cold, usually due to a lack of functioning nerves. Siliti are also explicitly written to be resistant to cold and able to use rokodra in their own separate lore. Mystics however (not Wights) that are descendants will no longer be able to wear rokodra armour.

A big part of the point behind this amendment as stated above is to keep the associations of a quite literally demonic metal with occult users, and not your average billy-joe inkeeper who wants to dress in fireproof armour without much regard for the behind such. The idea being if someone is seen running around in armour made from a metal known to be from Hell, your immediate association can and should be 'they're an inhuman monster' and not 'they're a fireman'.

Amazing +1

5 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

An issue further compounded by the reality that the likes of Fire Evokers, Alchemical Explosives, Heralds of Azdromoth and Azdrazi are effectively made inert against anyone and everyone with the foresight to carry a named MC item.

quite true, simply yes

5 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Rokodra will numb descendant skin to the point of uselessness after one minute of physical touch.

not that i will because my character hates rokodra but can cat_man, w0nk, ratman, and monke wear it, or can at least cat_man, monke, and ratman wear it due to fur

also what about vargs

17 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

also what about vargs

stfu i better not see any armor plated furries running around unless its a decorated talysman or some claws

56 minutes ago, Jentos said:

stfu i better not see any armor plated furries running around unless its a decorated talysman or some claws

sa'vi i say

On 12/10/2021 at 9:56 PM, Ryloth said:

can at least cat_man, monke, and ratman wear it due to fur

After mulling it over I'd say no on the essential basis that if thick leather and furs are (with this amendment) not sufficient to be worn atop someone's skin to make rokodra viable, creatures who's skin is thick leather and fur would actually have one less layer of separation and would still be subject to the numbing cold after sufficient exposure. 

Out of curiosity, can the Tawkin cold-blood/wtever mutation (I'm unsure if it still exists) be used to circumvent the defects wearing/touching Rokodra poses?

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.