ENCHIRIDION PECCATI - The Handbook of Sin

Sander

ENCHIRIDION PECCATI
Handbook of Sin
qjk2_GiKLTgD-dexZGsQglBNMnke4ozZk-NhzDoDNUE08JMAWYh01EXMeMK_oKi26AOdgB6c_lmuNuq5d97k7_KyOovKrQgv95KuhXtG3G-4kMEJFzu50efh6dnCbjDaZp6xhSkE

"Gluttony”

I write this book out of a desire to provide a useful tool for my brethren, clergy and laity alike, to better protect themselves from the vices of sin, recognize sin in others, and be able to correctly identify sins. While my Enchiridion Peccati aims to give an as full as possible compilation of all trespasses and vices considered sins within the Church, I shall not dare claim it to be perfect or GOD’s word, merely that of one of his humble servants. The sins in the Enchiridion are divided into what I deem sins against Faith, Virtue and Morality. Within these categories they are not arranged in any way such as severity, for the severity of one’s sin is for GOD alone to judge.

Laudetur Dominus,
Father Clemens of Karosgrad

Peccat contra Fidem - Sins against Faith

The category Peccat contra Fidem includes acts that are considered sins in general targeted against the Lord GOD and the Holy Church of the Canon that exists by His Word. Thus, sins against (the) Faith. The nature of these sins is based on going against the Canticle of Faith in the Scroll of Virtue.

Blasphemy 

The sin of speaking profanely or sacrilegiously about the Canonist Faith. This sin is based on Canticle of Faith: 8, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not blaspheme My Word, nor any thing that is holy.”

Heresy
The sin of holding beliefs that contradict Church doctrine. This sin is based on Canticle of Faith: 7, “And so I shall guide you in a theater of virtue, and the virtuous shall not live except by My Word.”

Apostasy
T
he sin of abandoning or refusing the Canonist Faith. This is not the same as heathenry, which in of itself is not a sin, but a heathen can be guilty of Apostasy. It is only when one has the choice to convert to the Canonist Faith and purposefully rejects it, or was priorly a Canonist and abandoned his faith, that this person is guilty of Apostasy.

Sacrilege
T
he sin of violating or misusing that which is sacred. Sacrilege is a direct insult to God and the Church, and often goes paired with sins like Blasphemy, Heresy or Iconoclasm. Like Blasphemy, it is based on Canticle of Faith: 8.

Atheism
T
he sin of believing there is no God. Atheism goes further than sins like Heresy or Incredulity, in that it not only rejects the true Lord, God, but religion in general. To believe such is simply foolish as it is plainly false. This sin is based on Canticle of Faith: 6, “And I have given you life: I am your father, and the father of all things.”

Incredulity
T
he sin of refusing to believe the Word of the Lord as truth. Those who doubt the legitimacy of the Word of the Lord and its sanctity are guilty of this sin. The sin of Incredulity is based on Canticle of Faith: 9, “I am the Lord God without peer, and My Word is the holy word, and My path is the virtuous path, and all the blessings of the Virtue shall fall before the righteous who tread it.”

Iconoclasm
T
he sin of destroying religious icons. Iconoclasm is a form of Sacrilege, similar to Blasphemy. Where Blasphemy is a verbal way of insulting and dishonoring God and the Church, Iconoclasm is a physical way of doing such, often with more lasting effects either in the form of damaged church property, or religious art and relics being forever destroyed and lost.

Schism
T
he sin of dividing the Holy Church of the Canon. By dividing the Church through a schism, one not only challenges God’s power, but seeks also to put up a peer to his vicar and representative, the High Pontiff. This goes directly against verse 3 of all the Canticles; “I am the Lord GOD without peer.”

Peccat contra Virtutem - Sins against Virtue

The category Peccat contra Virtutem includes acts that are considered sins because they are opposites of  or go against the Virtues described in the Scroll of Virtue that was bestowed upon Horen by the Lord God. If we are to live by these virtues, then that means that that which goes against them is sinful.

Greed
T
he sin of general insatiability and the desire for more than one needs. The sin of Greed goes against the Canticle of Charity from the Scroll of Virtue, being one of the opposites of Charity together with the sin of Avarice which is often used as a synonym for Greed. Specifically, it goes against Canticle of Charity: 10, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of my Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not desire the wealth of this world, nor the wealth of others, but the wealth of the spirit.” Urguan and his dwarven descendants were cursed with the sin of Greed by Iblees.

Avarice
T
he sin of monetary insatiability and the uncontrolled desire for accruing wealth. The sin of Avarice goes against the Canticle of Charity from the Scroll of Virtue, being one of the opposites of Charity together with the sin of Greed which is often used as a synonym for Avarice. Specifically, it goes against Canticle of Charity: 10, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of my Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not desire the wealth of this world, nor the wealth of others, but the wealth of the spirit.”

Gluttony
T
he sin of an insatiable appetite and the uncontrolled desire for food and drink. The sin of Gluttony goes both against the Canticle of Charity and the Canticle of Temperance from the Scroll of Virtue, specifically Canticle of Temperance: 8, “And you shall take them carefully, and shall not become a creature of worldly indulgence as the beasts of the earth.”

Lust
T
he sin of sexual insatiability or setting one’s heart upon a thing and longing for it. The sin of Lust goes against the Canticle of Temperance from the Scroll of Virtue, specifically against Canticle of Temperance: 8, “And you shall take them carefully, and shall not become a creature of worldly indulgence as the beasts of the earth.” and Canticle of Temperance: 9, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not lie with your kin, nor those of other tribes, and none shall lie together but in holy union.”

Sloth
T
he sin of habitual disinclination to exertion, laziness and omission. The sin of Sloth goes directly against the Canticle of Diligence from the Scroll of Virtue, being the direct opposite of that virtue, and specifically against Canticle of Diligence 8: “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not be idle, nor forget your duties in favor of sloth.”

Wrath
T
he sin of uncontrolled anger or hatred and the desire for vengeance. The sin of Wrath goes against the Canticle of Patience from the Scroll of Virtue, specifically against Canticle of Patience 9: “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not raise a hand in wrath, nor in envy, nor in any kind of sin.” Krug and his orcish descendants were cursed with the sin of Wrath by Iblees.

Envy
T
he sin of desiring or coveting others or that which others possess. The sin of Envy goes against the Canticle of Patience from the Scroll of Virtue, specifically against Canticle of Patience 9: “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not raise a hand in wrath, nor in envy, nor in any kind of sin.” Additionally one might argue it goes against the Canticle of Fidelity.

Infidelity
T
he sin of general unfaithfulness and disloyalty. The sin of Infidelity goes directly against the Canticle of Fidelity from the Scroll of Virtue, being the direct opposite of that virtue, and specifically against Canticle of Fidelity: 8, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall keep fast to your word and station, and aspire not to greatness among men, but to My glory.”

Pride
T
he sin of dangerously corrupt selfishness and believing oneself better than others. The sin of Pride goes against the Canticle of Humility and the Canticle of Fidelity from the Scroll of Virtue, specifically against Canticle of Humility: 8, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall keep fast to your word and station, and aspire not to greatness among men, but to My glory.”

Vanity
T
he sin of excessive belief in one’s own abilities or attractiveness, narcissism. The sin of Vanity goes against the Canticle of Humility, specifically against Canticle of Humility: 8, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall keep fast to your word and station, and aspire not to greatness among men, but to My glory.”

Peccat contra Mores - Sins against Morality

The category Peccat contra Mores includes acts that are considered sins against morality, either because they indirectly go against the morals set up by the virtues in the Scroll of Virtue, or because they are stated to be sinful in other parts of the Holy Scrolls.

Harreny
T
he sin of interbreeding between races. The sin of Harreny is named after one of the three sons in flesh of Horen, that being Harren. As can be read in the Scroll of Gospel, the sinful Harren wed an elven lady, even though Horen’s Virtue forbade it. Indeed the sin of Harreny goes directly against Canticle of Temperance: 9, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not lie with your kin, nor those of other tribes, and none shall lie together but in holy union.”

Kruggery
T
he sin of kinslaying; the murder of one of kin. The sin of Kruggery is named after one of the four brothers descendant from the First Coupling, that being Krug. As can be read in the Scroll of Gospel, Krug, beset with Wrath, went and murdered his brother and his sister in law, the virtuous Horen and Julia. Kinslaying, or Kruggery, can be found in Book of Scattering: 18, “Thus it was that Krug the Warrior became Krug the Kinslayer, and his face and the faces of his people bore the tusks of beasts, and they were marked for their sin.”

Saulicy
T
he sin of spreading and encouraging sinful deeds. The sin of Saulicy is named after the man Saul, who spoke with Iblees and was tempted by the Denier’s iniquity and was sent by him upon Horen’s people to spread this sin, as can be read in the Scroll of Gospel. Saul’s sin left many of these people corrupted and unclean, making the sin of Saulicy one not to be taken lightly.

Perjury
T
he sin of swearing a false oath on the Lord or breaking an oath sworn on the Lord. The sin of Perjury, often also used as a legal term in secular courts, goes against Canticle of Faith: 8, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not blaspheme My Word, nor any thing that is holy”. The Lord’s name is holy, and swearing an oath on him means breaking this oath is a sin.

Sorcery
T
he sin of using magic for personal power and gain and unknowingly that of Iblees. The sin of Sorcery goes against the Epistle to the Magi, from the Scroll of Spirit. Here we read in Epistle to the Magi: 5, “But you reserve your gift for your own power, and your own gain, and unknowingly, the gain of Iblees.” And further down we find in Epistle to the Magi: 13, “This is the sin of envying GOD, a desire which cannot be attained, and the deepest blasphemy.”

Necromancy
T
he sin of practising dark arts and magics. Those guilty of the sin of Necromancy, who practise the dark arts and magics, are similar to those guilty of the sin of Sorcery as they seek to possess powers alike to that of the Lord God through these arts and magics. We can read however in the Scroll of Spirit, specifically in Epistle to the Magi: 8 & 9, “The Lord is the Lord GOD without peer, but you seek power alike to his, and even power equal. 9 This is a selfish and impossible sin, for there is no power alike to GOD.” Furthermore, those guilty of Necromancy, Necromancers, have time and again proven to be direct servants of Iblees the Denier.

Murder
T
he sin of killing another person. Throughout the Holy Scrolls that form the Canon of our Church, we find instances of people who are guilty of the sin of Murder and are punished for this heinous crime, this affront to God. We are all part of God’s creation, for as we read in Canticle of Faith: 6, “And I have given you life: I am your father, and the father of all things.” By killing another person we destroy part of God’s holy work, and make ourselves guilty of the sin of Murder.

Adultery
T
he sin of being unfaithful to one’s partner in marriage. The sin of Adultery goes against the example set forth by the Lord through the wedding of the virtuous Horen and Julia as well as Adultery being a grave example of the sin of Lust.

Divorce
T
he sin of terminating a marriage without Pontifical annulment. Divorce is considered sinful as a marriage is never meant to be broken, as set forth by the Lord’s examples. Matrimony is a Holy bond that shall last for all eternity, thus the only way to terminate a marriage is to have the High Pontiff, Vicar of God, decree the matrimony to be annulled and not to have taken place in the eyes of the Lord, granted there is legitimate reason to do such. Any other means of terminating a marriage, like divorce, is therefore sinful.

Fornication
T
he sin of sexual intercourse between two unwedded people. The sin of Fornication goes against Canticle of Temperance: 9, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not lie with your kin, nor those of other tribes, and none shall lie together but in holy union.”

Incest
T
he sin of sexual intercourse between two people of close kin. The sin of Incest goes directly against Canticle of Temperance: 9, “So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not lie with your kin, nor those of other tribes, and none shall lie together but in holy union.”

Sodomy
T
he sin of sexual deviancy; any intimacy not between man and woman. The sin of Sodomy goes against the love granted to us by the Lord God, as we read in Canticle of Temperance: 5, “And as I made for you the worldly pleasures, so too have I made the pleasures of the spirit, and the love of the husband and wife.” It states here clearly that such love pertaining to the worldly pleasures, this being carnal love, is only to take place between husband and wife: man and woman.

Theft
T
he sin of taking from someone else that which is not rightfully yours to take. The act of Theft stems from the sins of Greed, Avarice and Envy, thus making this act sinful.

Ingratitude
T
he sin of not accepting or appreciating charity or charitable deeds. By not accepting or not appreciating charity, you take from the charitable person the opportunity to enact the Virtue of Charity. Thus by the act of Ingratitude, you work against the Virtues prescribed by the Lord God, making this act sinful.

Acedia
T
he sin of moral sloth, carelessness and negligence of virtue, torpor. The act of Acedia is not just an example of the sin of Sloth, but also means abstaining from other Virtues, that which is morally right and what the Lord God would want us to do, making this act sinful.

Calumny
T
he sin of slander and spreading lies about others. The act of Calumny, the desire to speak ill of fellow sons of the Lord God, has to stem from one of the Sins against Virtue. Be it envy, pride, wrath or else, one of these sins is the core motivation for the act of Calumny, thus making this act sinful.

Simony
T
he sin of trafficking for money in spiritual things, roles and services. The act of Simony is a serious offense to God and Church. Not only is it a grave consequence of the sin of Avarice, it betrays that which is Holy and the pleasures of the spirit in favor of the worldly pleasures.

Usury
T
he sin of making immoral monetary loans that unfairly enrich the lender. The act of Usury is a direct consequence of the sin of Avarice. Instead of being charitable like the Lord God would wish us to be, we seek unfair monetary gain at the expense of our fellow descendants, thus making this act sinful.

Father Stor finishes reading, nodding to himself "Now this I shall put in the Nu Loc Library!"

Edited by Lojo613