Appointment of the Prevailer

Xarkly

The Duke of Vidaus stirred from a slumber, from where the moon glimmered light into his chambers - it must be the crack of midnight, so he thought. He had never slept full nights, even from his childhood. Hence, the retired Marshal took to his study and paused in his meander at a particular sight. The stamp of His Royal Majesty lingered upon a letter, at the dead centre of his desk, causing the eyebrows of the Ser to crumple in curiosity.

An eyeglass was pressed over his eye as he unveiled the letter and read its contents. May you show our enemies the error of their ways, Prevailer. An angst smirk spread across his lips at that, was he too old? No no, he was in his prime, he told himself. May you return peace to our lands, and cast off the shadow of tyranny. Oho, I shall see to that. But alas May you exemplify what it means to be Haeseni. This one stuck with him for minutes. He even pressed a cigar between his lips in the meanwhile. He had always wanted to be a man of duty and purpose. One that would be looked up to when he lived no more. The exemplary Haeseni man.

So as he rose from his study, Ailred found himself enraptured both by patriotism and a determined urge - to serve a final time perhaps. He signed the lorraine across his chest, uttering to the skies, his eye cast to the ceiling and to the heavens above,  "They can kill me, but they canniet do me any real harm."

"The Koengzem is hurt by truth put to power, it would seem. I am not the one who summoned the Duma to discuss how to remove the Church from the heart of my government, largely considered a discussion on how to neuter the influence of faith on the decisions of its own body politik.

These are not accusations, these are edicts proclaimed by the mouth of this King. Nor is my nation that beckons to fight alongside Pagans in the defense of their assaults on Canonist Priests. These are not fabricated incidents, they are truths.  Unlike the remainder of the hyperbole in this missive - we do believe the Field Marshall to be a worthy combatant leader, and we shall not underestimate his abilities. 

Are they ashamed of being opportunists? This is the make of all nations - to advance the cause of ones own people; I do not hide or lie about it, but I shall certainly call it out when it is so naked and so blatantly wrapped in the language of a sovereign. I was not born into my position like the good King, I had to earn where I am - and it very clearly shows.

I wish them an honorable fight; I'll not send the King such distasteful letters as his own people write me in their gnashing anger to be called out for their crimes and heathen behavior. An old Oyashiman mentor told me that anger is often a mask for fear.

Nor will I sit idly by if I see his people being tortured or denied last rights, I shall ensure they are treated fairly as a decent gentlemen and canonist should do. I shall not forget the mockery the King paid upon Princess Josephine, who wished only to discuss why you marched a guard force on an Imperial peer, because he had discovered some ancient elven blood in your line. You were not sitting so idle then. But my memory is long good King, and though I do not hold grudges like a Dwarf - I have certainly not forgotten the mistreatment you showed such a noble soul.

You will never find me celebrating the torture of my enemy or competitor; for I have a shred of dignity and dedication to the term 'Canonist'. I wish the King were not so idle in punishing his citizens for celebrating the death of others, and rejoicing in pagan torture. I shall need to confess my sins and perhaps his as well at the confessional this eve!

I pray the Kongzem return peacefully to their home; not in caskets draped with Haense flags, as they are want to do should they meet the marching wave of Imperial forces and that this incident will once again be put behind us, towards a united and common Canondom and Humanity that stands with each other to destiny. "

Remarks to an Elven attendant in frustration "Valah are so fickle, they will all kill each other over the most short-term slights. Where did we lead them wrong?"

Spoiler

THE PREVAILER LOOOOOOOOOOOL

"A strong commander to lead strong troops" nodded Ernst Barclay, who had already witnessed the Prevailer's skill during the friendly skirmishes between Freimark and Haense some years prior.

47 minutes ago, Minuvas said:

"The Koengzem is hurt by truth put to power, it would seem. I am not the one who summoned the Duma to discuss how to remove the Church from the heart of my government, largely considered a discussion on how to neuter the influence of faith on the decisions of its own body politik.

"I do not think you got my letter before otherwise you would have seen that I encouraged you to read the letter again, it's about facilitating the church in Haense. And if you had read the transcript I gave you as well you would see that is was most certainly not 'largely considered a discussion on how to neuter the influence of faith'.

Despite your misunderstanding, again, I'm starting to think you're not only rash but a bit a soft in the head as well. I'm not sure someone who caused a schism through 'bad advice' can be considered a very good Canonist so I think I'll listen to the Pontiff you tried to depose over you; a failed schismatic."

47 minutes ago, Minuvas said:

I wish them an honorable fight; I'll not send the King such distasteful letters as his own people write me in their gnashing anger to be called out for their crimes and heathen behavior. 

"The letters were not distasteful just because they said you were wrong. Most did not even mention that it was a show in itself how far your nation had fallen that you were allowed to retain your position despite nearly causing the death of Everard VI if the Haeseni men and women had not been there."

The Lord Speaker's eyes linger over the 'crimes and heathen behaviour' part, lips curling into an amused grin.

"Those in glass houses should not throw stones. It is not my sovereign who is excommunicated and yet I still follow blindly."

55 minutes ago, Minuvas said:

Nor is my nation that beckons to fight alongside Pagans in the defense of their assaults on Canonist Priests.

Fiodor Cardinal Allobrogum, who had been present during the events that had sparked the initial war against Philip II, wondered when the Orenians would finally drop the false claim that the Urguanites had attacked any clergymen to begin with. "Probably never" He told himself, going back to praying thereafter.

Ivan var Ruthern had a plethora of papers stacked 'pon his desk within Kositz. He had read most of them, wondering aloud to himself. "The defensive alliance, at least formally, was signed niet 3 months ago." He continues to glance over the papers, shrugging his shoulders at that, "they put it on paper that it was to oppose the 'tyrannical' rule of Oren, though we had heard rumour on the wind that this would be the case long before it was formal. I suppose, if there is a means there will be found a way. Can't say I look forward to fighting my Kin from the North, though when the day comes where we do meet in battle, I pray they would give me a quick death, just as I would give the same to them." Ivan utters, figuring that the time for glancing over words on paper was over. He brought the copies to his hearth and threw them on, watching as they curled, blackened and then turned to ash. Surely, the smell of wood burning, the sounds of fire and the crackling of wood, would be things he will become unfortunately accustomed too over the next few years.

3 hours ago, Shmeepicus said:

Ivan var Ruthern had a plethora of papers stacked 'pon his desk within Kositz. He had read most of them, wondering aloud to himself. "The defensive alliance, at least formally, was signed niet 3 months ago." He continues to glance over the papers, shrugging his shoulders at that, 

“Haense has had a pact with the Dwarves for years by this point,” Moliana rambled on to a poor Dobrovian worker as she helped him pick weeds growing along the pathways of the town.  With her tangents, however, he was beginning to prefer working alone for his peace of mind. “Though they only just reaffirmed their treaty with this newly published pact.  Is it the triumphant- no, tritium- wait, it’s called tri-something, it’ll come to me in a moment.  Anyways, so Haense is-. . .”

Ear plugs would soon be invented in Dobrov.

4 hours ago, Shmeepicus said:

Ivan var Ruthern had a plethora of papers stacked 'pon his desk within Kositz. He had read most of them, wondering aloud to himself. "The defensive alliance, at least formally, was signed niet 3 months ago." He continues to glance over the papers, shrugging his shoulders at that, "they put it on paper that it was to oppose the 'tyrannical' rule of Oren, though we had heard rumour on the wind that this would be the case long before it was formal. I suppose, if there is a means there will be found a way. Can't say I look forward to fighting my Kin from the North, though when the day comes where we do meet in battle, I pray they would give me a quick death, just as I would give the same to them." Ivan utters, figuring that the time for glancing over words on paper was over. He brought the copies to his hearth and threw them on, watching as they curled, blackened and then turned to ash. Surely, the smell of wood burning, the sounds of fire and the crackling of wood, would be things he will become unfortunately accustomed too over the next few years.

Maxim remembers the day he was made to guard the Duma Hall by chance, as its assembly renewed the defensive alliance with Urguan months prior to the ultimatum sent by the Emperor of Oren - he groans, unwilling to go any further as he is reminded of how stiff his legs were for having stood for so long. He wonders why the Orenians think this was some sort of ploy, when the Hall was open to the public. The thoughts are shaken away as he simply marks the Orenian concerns as poor attempts to grasp some sort of moral superiority. 

Sucking in his grand belly to fit into his old armour, the old Koeng, Heinrik Karl, grimaced as he realised his armour needed to get expanded on his waist and fronz. Nonetheless the elder displayed a set of yellow teeth that shined like the greyhair that was sprouting on his neckbeard and side burns "At last, I get to see the battelfield along side my dwed friends." he expressed while patting his trusted warhammer Crow's Beak, in his hands.