IS IT ME, OR WARS DON'T FEEL THE SAME?

MadOne

Long story short from what im reading from this word vomit?

Stop Molly-coddling the playerbase and let consequences happen

Its not just the war environment, though thats a large part of it. all the new rules, the constant rebalancing, shelving and nerfing of CA's, etc.

Its all because people can't stand losing, and the staff refuse to put their foot down and recognize that this is one of the few cases where "catering to the playerbase" is actually detrimental, of course people are going to say they want measures that make them lose less!

the problem is if theres no losers, theres no winners either.

stories are driven by conflict, and the new policies suck all conflict out of our stories

Edited by LordCrowe
typos

1 hour ago, argonian said:

yeah ok but telanir who never plays has determined that people would stop playing and the server would die if their shitty ******* nations got ganked

despite the fact that dozens of nations have risen and fallen without that happening

but he knows best

war server aint gonna run regardless tho so it is what it is

I agree with this 100%, I’ve been playing since the early 5th Empire and I’ve never witnessed a whole player base quitting and never returning after they had been conquered. If anything, the eras of balkanization following the fall of empires were the time in which the server, or at the very least Human roleplay, was at it’s most active.

LoTC was never supposed to be like a certain server that shall not be named. We were never supposed to live in tea party-riddled cities where the fear of total conquest was nonexistent and “slice of life” roleplay reigned supreme, the whole purpose of this server is in it’s name “Lord of the Craft” — we were once a place where anyone, and I mean anyone, could become the Lord of the Craft if they had a sizable rally behind them, as briefly mentioned by MadOne. Sadly this place has become a shell of it’s former self.

Edited by Marquesa_

Yeah, I guess you're right. It does feel weird to have this war be a bunch of 12v10 fights every few days on the roads over some tiles that won't really matter at all besides flex and forum karma. This intensity of fighting was what would happen without any war declared at all back in earlier LOTC.

Creative forces are held back by staff because once something gets built anywhere on Almaris, it's not ever gonna get destroyed in roleplay. Destructive forces are also held back because if something gets destroyed, it's incredibly difficult to rebuild the community again. It's the rabbit hole we've fallen too far into that forces everything into a long-term status quo that can't get disrupted. The recent war rule changes have slightly pushed out of that hole, but it'll take a lot more before the server can be considered truly dynamic.

I hope that LOTC gets a map that'll look dramatically different towards its end relative to its beginning before I grow tired of the server and move onto other things in life.

we live in a society

tfw   person not fighting in war and who's  nation has not been raided during this  war complains  about lack of war.

36 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. It does feel weird to have this war be a bunch of 12v10 fights every few days on the roads over some tiles that won't really matter at all besides flex and forum karma.

To be fair, the Dwarves taking tile 91 means:

3 rather large vassal estates need to be moved, the pasting of which has been expensive for some and is wasted

Basically free banditry. Free control of the land from the East Hub ---> Providence. Constant banditry allowed, no cooldown, no need to stop, if an Orenian force enters to prevent it, win or lose, there's a cooldown and their numbers are limited.

It's generally a very strategic tile to take, tbh, so the consequences are still quite substantial if it's exploited.

Otherwise yeah. Completely agree with all else.

4 minutes ago, MailC3p said:

tfw   person not fighting in war and who's  nation has not been raided during this  war complains  about lack of war.

Lack of war in comparison to W2E etc, my dear Mail. And it's not just about 'lack of war', read the rest! He makes some v nice points :)

Banditry is fun unless you're just trying to get from A to B and suddenly Bob the Bandit shows up and demands 1000 minas

It has to be done to a good standard 

And besides, people nowadays just speed past at 1000000 mph on horses. Unless you set up a roadblock (For which you'd need perms without making a modern) You're not robbing horse people

This post is correct. And as someone who used to play back then I can relate to this and understand the frustration.

However people nowadays are more sensitive about their mineman nation falling so you know..... Hayho Hayho off to plan another mindless ball and soiree I go.

7 minutes ago, Nathaniel Calding said:

Banditry is fun unless you're just trying to get from A to B and suddenly Bob the Bandit shows up and demands 1000 minas

And besides, people nowadays just speed past at 1000000 mph on horses. Unless you set up a roadblock (For which you'd need perms without making a modern) You're not robbing horse people

you can  easily bandit people on horses  with a copy pasted emote

4 minutes ago, MailC3p said:

you can  easily bandit people on horses  with a copy pasted emote

I really hope this is sarcasm. You're an ISA officer and you should know that low-effort copy paste halting emotes are against the rules.

47 minutes ago, Nathaniel Calding said:

Clearly you've never sat at a boat built roadblock

I’ll keep this short as it’s 6am.

The players who create the most activity, roleplay, etc are not the PvP goons and nation leadership who jump around the square. Removing nations by way of war, does not align to slice of life roleplayers and they do leave in droves when these things happen, have happened in the past. It also makes wars extremely toxic, especially when the war for example is rooted within race. 

I would agree with you that it stagnates roleplay, there is no progression without consequential war. This was always my case when me and @Telanir discussed this topic, but in reality - this is the kicker - the slice of life roleplayers vote, pay the bills, and create a roleplay atmosphere. You remove them from the equation due to toxic clicking wars, you can see why we are where we are now.

I may not like it, but I definitely understand it.