Bring Back Fast Travels

6xdestroyer

Bring Back Fast Travels  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fast Travels Be Brought Back

• Yes (I touch grass)
    • No (I never touch grass and spend all day running on roads on minecraft)

Fast travels opened up much of the map and encouraged new cultures to develop. Lets be real there are not enough people on this server to hold active vassal or sub-settlements without fast travels. People are lazy and do not want to spend 5 minutes running somewhere, let alone 15 minutes.

Let nations do it for vassals to capitals, everyone benefits (for my bandit friends main roads to capitals would still be run normally dont worry I'd not deny you your villainy :D )

We have the ability to do so and the know-how. Whats stopping us?

@Heero@itdontmatta@HogoBojo@ScreamingDingo

There's always fun and interesting ways to implement such things in a way that it isn't NPC'd, let us stray away from the flaw that Auction houses, shops and banks have, that being there's nobody there, it is an NPC interaction at best, an ATM at worst.

Seriously. I am tired of riding around aimlessly looking for players. It already sucks all of the fun out of the server knowing that most people are roleplaying in their little private gardens, but at the very least it would be nice to be able to bounce between hubs instantaneously until I find a mildly active city square or tavern

You could fix like 70% of the server's issues just by having fast travels with a floating text blurb that says "4 people are roleplaying here ..." That way I don't have to guess where people are roleplaying or ask the funniest people in the world in global OOC

Disagree- we already have a ferry system and if complete fast travel was allowed, the only people using the roads would be bandits and raiders.

if you want to get somewhere quickly, get a horse.

11 minutes ago, Moribundity said:

Disagree- we already have a ferry system and if complete fast travel was allowed, the only people using the roads would be bandits and raiders.

This is already the case. Most people have a castle/grove/village/city they roleplay in and rarely leave. The current system just makes it obnoxious for someone new or unconnected to find opportunities to roleplay.

11 minutes ago, Moribundity said:

if you want to get somewhere quickly, get a horse.

I don't meet anyone on the roads anyway. "Just get a horse" people ride past me at 45 miles per hour before I have a chance to say hail. Most people are looking for a setting where they won't get ambushed by inbred C.H.U.D.s if they stay put for too long, road RP is effectively nonexistent.

I just... want a better map. My soulstone is fine. I'd be content reverting the horsespeed back down if we kept horse whistles. I just want a better map. I really enjoyed travelling by foot on Arcas, it wasn't a hassle to get from place to place. Make the roads speedy again everywhere, whatever, just... a better map. Please WT work on the next map, work with the community on it, and make it a good one.

And interesting point made above. Yes. Remove AH.

The walk to nations from the hubs isn't that long, it's the nations fault if they have 100 vassals far away from each other, not ours.

1 hour ago, DistantCryprid said:

There's always fun and interesting ways to implement such things in a way that it isn't NPC'd, let us stray away from the flaw that Auction houses, shops and banks have, that being there's nobody there, it is an NPC interaction at best, an ATM at worst.

You know you can already make bank as a traveling salesman/RP shopkeeper. Last map I made way more by taking custom orders than I made from a well-placed shop or an auctionhouse transaction. As much as I would love for staff to get rid of my competition, so many people complain about shops and I meet so few shopkeepers that I am almost sure the complaint is "I wish other people would do this for me"

If every town had a decent general store proprietor to talk to people would stop using the vending machine plugin entirely. People naturally want fun, interesting interactions and it's usually way better to order something at a fair price from the merchant's guild than buy it at a markup from a carpetshop. The only reason the whole carpet economy hasn't been totally supplanted by a more efficiently-managed merchant company is because nobody has tried to make one yet.

I don't see what this has to do with fast travels though. The AH (which will be nuked soon inshallah) and shops exist mostly for player convenience, fast travels solve a problem with the design of the map. Almaris has lots of obnoxious downtime between settlements and I'm almost certain that it's a factor in our low player retention. It also limits the kind of RP you can actually do.

10 minutes ago, Basil Moroul said:

The walk to nations from the hubs isn't that long, it's the nations fault if they have 100 vassals far away from each other, not ours.

I have no sway over who Haense gives a castle to. Why must I, a hypothetical newly-joined Haense player, bear the burden of searching aimlessly in the frozen tundra for players? Because my overlords wanted neither to stop giving each other new minecraft castles, nor to connect their castles to some sort of transit system?

1 hour ago, Lionbileti said:

how about you bring yourself some *******.

But on another note I agree, this map is rather large and it will dissuade noobs from staying on the server, as their first experience is rather bland having to go from empty city to empty city, the worse is when the gates are constantly closed. 

this especially due to the fact that many new players aren't properly informed on what a soulstone is, how to use it, or how to even bind it to a place, and thus are stuck thinking they need to MCly run everywhere until someone informs them of this magical teleportation device

the other day I had to tediously explain a soulstone to and how to use it to a new player who didn't even know what it was even though they had been playing for a couple of days or maybe a few weeks at that point

same thing also applies to horse whistles as far as the "new player experience" goes