[✗] [Magic Invention Lore] Void Crystals and The Rejuvenator

Luxury

The Halls of Creation buzzed with magi frantic in their research. Theory and debate echoed throughout the Guild, as it’s eldest members set about pioneering the cure to the blighted lands at their doorstep. Each solution seemed to uncover problems tenfold, as new concepts were tested and thrown out. Two ancient minds of The Mage’s Guild, centuries along in their practice, came to settle on two iterations of one coherent idea.

“I hope to rectify the taint with assistance of those around me, from druids, shamans and other void magi I've come to the conclusion that to begin we must start with how the void works...” - Evo’lur Tartarus, on the nature of Voidal Taint

The Void Crystal
A handheld Focus crystal that has been embedded with the essence of both Void and Creation, and thus aptly named for its function. This anomalous stone is, in essence, a product of artificery incited by the need to curb the devastation of magical disaster. The Void Crystal is an altered form of the Focus crystal, having been touched by the spellcraft of a master Alterationist.

1fsUioJ2ugHjcl_zZ8fadDWXSpbRVnJc2RqnLF24mAz3q249A3HYQlVk_KngibRPPyj_-MMXtXFHhtK-TOQpDriVfZD0W_bze4jv3sTyrof6no-2OO9LbOuSSuu0dBd6CMvInBpE

Creation:
Alterationists at the height of their craft may cast a greater Imbuement spell upon a Focus Crystal, shifting it’s core function. Focus Crystals are known for their ability to allow casters to channel the Void with great tact; As such, these artificers have found that intricately applying their artform could create an inverse effect. Effectively, the layers of Mana are articulated in such a way that these Void Crystals act as a one way vacuum for Voidal Energy. The potency of the effects necessitates creation in the presence of a Mana Obelisk.

Effects:
Focus crystals are commonly used as conductors of magical energy, and the advent of the Void Crystal introduces the inverse. These eldritch stones were found to be able to intake a large swathe of Voidal Energy and keep it within its crystalized bearing for transport and safekeeping. Primarily colored by the Aura of the Mage who has imbued the spell, the Void Crystal is sequentially darkened to the deepest hues and the darkest tints of said Aura once it has expunged an area of Voidal Taint for the first time. Minor taint from excess spell casting darkens the Crystal to a lesser extent. The Crystal’s effects may be used to contain smaller bouts of Voidal energy that has seeped into the Material realm. The active effect occurs gradually over several emotes wherein the afflicted plot of land, in a 4x4 radius, slowly returns to its natural state. Void Crystals will not restore the life of fauna, yet it frees the area from the Voidal influence so that nature may take hold again over time. Passively, the Crystals will soak in taint radiated from a handful of spell casts in a radius around them, functionally a 10x10 area surrounding the stone. The power dedicated to the metaphysical vacuum is what prevents the mass of energy from escaping prematurely and as such this energy cannot be reused, controlled, or manipulated while trapped in the crystalline form. The only safe way to dispel the contained Voidal energy is through the Rejuvenator, or other applicable methods such as Druidic Blight Healing. Should the Crystal suffer a direct blow, the energy will release and latch onto the surroundings once again. 

Redlines:
-Primarily for player events and narrative functions, users must be in cooperation with ST to implement full use of this invention.
-Structurally identical to Focus Crystals
-May not be used to refuel one’s mana
-RO permission is required to spread Void taint from a broken Crystal, using void associated blocks.
-The size of the Void Crystal dictates the amount of Voidal energies it can intake; A palm sized gem can soak in Voidal taint of 4 spells or house voidal taint within a 4x4 area of land. Each foot in length allots a growth of 1, up to 8 spells and an 8x8 area of land.
-The Void Crystal does not stop, cease or prevent the function of void magic. Rather it ‘soaks’ up the taint caused by it.
-The Crystals are enchantable, but will surrender any of the above utilities rendering them as a simple aesthetic option.
-The Imbuement spell from Voidal Artificery lore is required to create Void Crystals..
-Requires ST Signing.

“In times of great unbalance, we magi must rise from our libraries to restore peace to the Material realm. When the few err, it reflects on us all…”  - Archmage Eliza on the fall of Ando Alur

The Rejuvenator
An otherworldly spire tirelessly redesigned as an inverse functioning Mana Obelisk. Comparable to the effects observed in the original invention’s infancy, where to the detriment of nearby life, Mana was drawn indiscriminately from its surroundings. This effect was soon replaced by the far safer utilization of naturally emitted Aura, and summarily forgotten. The Rejuvenator rekindles this ability in a far more involved and responsible manner. This spire seeks to make repairs to the foundational wellspring of Mana that comprises the Material Realm, as it suffers from Magical folly.

h_ZNLvAxRU89htJqysbav9ISnrz-7x6BagWvJhDEoS73JIa29JP_31oAJfhvVNo7IuaqHk4-PB5khLpz0rpG7Jy5db8SMo4W0cs7YTr-wtWaAA2czj5q33RadjdQBR3NCTy4Kxfo

A Rejuvenator enduring decades after calamity, amidst the restored woodlands.

Creation:
Rejuvenators are similar in design to Obelisks in that cheaper materials will suffice for the casing around the core, with a magically conductive capstone. The core material is strictly fused Void Crystals, manipulated into a pointed cylinder over a narrative week. Given the purpose of this structure, it will not  be found within the safe confines of an artificery lab, but in the field amidst the fallout of a disaster. As such, the necessary materials will often need to be carted across vast distances and the creators may need to place themselves at great risk to build a Rejuvenator. At least one enchanter and two other magi, all at mastery in their given archetypes, are required for the initial fueling of a Rejuvenator. Multiple magi may be integrated in this fueling to bolster the regional effect.

Effects:
The Rejuvenator carries a similar active effect to early Mana Obelisks that is explicitly adverse to locations where Mana is in undesirable excess. When erected and prepared by assembled masters of Voidal magic the Rejuvenator begins to rapidly pump the surroundings of Voidal energy and Mana. Distinctly, however, instead of storing these otherworldly ichors this inventive spire will channel them back into the boundary between realms to repair holes in the sheet fabric of reality. In any case, as the device functions, the land is freed from Voidal influence so that nature may take hold again. Once the Rejuvenator fulfills its task of repairing dimensional damage caused by Void Magic, it may be deactivated and left as a monument to the tragedy that transpired or it may be removed without consequence. If left to rest, however, it will maintain it’s ability to passively intake Voidal taint from all spellcasts and expel it out of the Material realm in a 30x30 radius.

Redlines:
-Primarily for story events and narrative functions, users must be in cooperation with ST to see the full usage of this invention.
-Structurally identical to Mana Obelisks
-Stationary
-Given the restrictive nature and narrow function, at least (three) master magi will suffice for initial activation; An Enchanter and two others to offer active mana. 
-Activating the Rejuvenator will naturally cause a noticeable disturbance in the Void afflicted area that may draw attention. E.g. effects emoted in /s, or via broadcast.
-Void taint is not stored within the Rejuvenator rather actively repurposed to make repairs on the damaged veil, if destroyed it will have no adverse effects.
-The Rejuvenator does not stop, cease or prevent the function of void magic. Rather it channels the taint caused by it back into the Void.
-With ST discretion, the effective range will start at one narrative mile, following an incline of plus one per assisting T5 Void Mage.
-Requires ST Signing.

On Voidal Artificery and Rifts
Voidal  Artificers may combine their advanced understanding of both the Material realm and Arcane Magic to enchant the Crystals or the Rejuvenator with the ability to channel their Imbuement spells into Voidal Tears; This is one sure option to close and seal the tears so that they need not be destroyed and subsequently detonated. Likewise, these creations are indispensable for cleaning up the scarring caused by these same tears.

Redlines:
-The amount of void crystals required to seal a voidal tear or stop its detonation is dictated by ST and size of the rift if applicable.

Purpose
I felt that Mages needed a creative way to interact with current and future Voidal Taint narratives. It’s important that we’re not having our characters amble around clueless of our own consequences. The arcane community should have an option to approach responsibility too and not leave deity users feeling as though they are just janitors for crazy mages.

Spoiler

The recent obelisk lore used ALL of the good concept images for such a structure It was hard to find a unique representation.

Credits:
FadedQuartz- Ideas, Conception
E__V__O- Ideas, Conception

Citations:
Voidal Artificery Lore
https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/197733-✓-voidal-feat-voidal-artificery/
Focus Crystal Lore
https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/191688-✓-world-lore-focus-crystals/
Mana Obelisk Lore
https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/197307-✓-mana-obelisks/

Accept this

Edited by _Sheylo_

i made the co creator addicted to crystals, i am sorry this happened ST.

Based, the idea of a crystal that eats away at mana instead of producing it so cool

"Finalleh, Tae bligh' lan's ca' be cured" Glod remarks, as he walks through the blight within Ando Alur: "Bu how wi' Tay deal wit' Tae void crysta' in tae regun? Not take mentio' Ter red crysta'

It's a pretty straightforward function. I think it makes sense to have a way to remove Voidal Taint, but it should have uses beyond closing tears and the like. I'm not a fan of lore being drafted strictly to counter something with no further use or practicality.

I understand the gist of this, and I find that we agree that there should be multiple functions written into a piece of lore. This is why I maintained that these stones can be used for enchanting and aesthetic purposes. This piece is introducing an entirely unfamiliar concept to the community- someone mentioned it previously 'eco mages'. Environmentally conscious mages. This piece holds potential to cause a social pivot on the climate of magic on the server.

I wanted to keep that concept pure for it's introduction. It could be that additional uses are written in later, but I did not wish to bog this piece down for the moment as it is here primarily to serve a function in the story narrative.

Also, perhaps shift your perspective away from 'countering' or this-vs-that , and more towards 'working in conjunction with'.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, IsaaKc said:

It's a pretty straightforward function. I think it makes sense to have a way to remove Voidal Taint, but it should have uses beyond closing tears and the like. I'm not a fan of lore being drafted strictly to counter something with no further use or practicality.

It is known that the chaotic potential that radiates from tears warps mana around it. Voidal 'essence' or 'energy', which is more so an excess of pure creative power being forced to find a 'logical' form to hold onto on the summarily 'logic based' material realm, is what is causing outlandish changes to appearance. It was written that way to encompass this, without just including all of the exact metaphysics of magic lore on an invention post.

10 hours ago, Booklight12 said:

When "Voidal energy" is used in this post, what exactly is it referencing?

3 minutes ago, Luxury said:

I understand the gist of this, and I find that we agree that there should be multiple functions written into a piece of lore. This is why I maintained that these stones can be used for enchanting and aesthetic purposes. This piece is

introducing an entirely unfamiliar concept to the community- someone mentioned it previously 'eco mages'. Environmentally conscious mages. Socially, this piece holds potential to cause a social pivot on the climate of magic on the server.

I wanted to keep that concept pure for it's introduction. It could be that additional uses are written in later, but I did not wish to bog this piece down for the moment as it is here primarily to serve a function in the story narrative.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, IsaaKc said:

Added on, the 'Void Crystal' part of the lore has a semi multi function. It is able to use as described or able to be enchanted, it has a cost factor however. It is mentioned here:

On 12/29/2021 at 10:58 AM, Luxury said:

-The Crystals are enchantable, but will surrender any of the above utilities rendering them as a simple aesthetic option.

It isn't anything more glamous and doesn't provide any extra benefit over the use magegold. As Luxury stated, this is a significant development for voidal magic if approved as it has several other functions already. More can be added later if others with a creative mind wish to tackle it. 

I find this to be a solid addition to the overall concept of voidal magics. It serves a unique purpose and would be a vital tool to any character using voidal magic. That being said, it is in no way an overpowered addition. +1

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.