[PK POST]: A Warrior's Death : Absolon de Astrea

YaBoyJay_

gGthqMVcjYV7XvxKqGBMyr2MlFYW5V_hkvsJbTVUQD_AC01g3yFfOvB5jW3PE6_pTNnlCNx3_3z0diX1DmUe6Cb3dXYuPNFBv8eRf0TyOXc6pXKkn7RXorXKHEn5q7OvKlATVDq2

A Warrior’s Death
Absolon de Astrea

Oh, the sweet bliss of retirement, one that Absolon sought out in his thirty plus years of service in leading Elysium’s military force. Though it was always the man’s true calling.
After being a Head Ranger of the ranger’s of Elysium, the Marshal of Norland for a short time, and eventually the Lord Commander once Elysium gained its independence, he was doomed. Doomed to live a life that he both loved and hated, a place where the highs were the highest but the lows were unbearably low. Constantly bound by his addiction to military life.
As he got older, the idleness got to him after a short amount of time. The retirement he’d thought would be good ended up a retirement to a mind that eventually turned to madness.

Sitting there as his bones grew older to the point where he could barely move, his arms unable to hold a sword right, his knees so old that he needed a cane everywhere he went. The idleness forced him not to think about war but rather the loneliness he was feeling. The life he had failed to build because he was so focused on the military. He started to think about his wife passing, his daughter passing, his son being a mercenary. He eventually realized that he had none of his kin left, and only a few remnants of family members who couldn’t take his thoughts away from it.

War, that’s what it was, but what was it for? He had found that it was all for Elysium, though it never managed to fill the void in his heart after retirement, the feeling of having no one close to you was all too much to bear. Eventually he had set his own mind. He would die a Warrior’s death, and fall to not old age, but a death of fighting for what he always fought for. What use was he?: he thought. Laying there and dying of old age? Or taking the fight to them?

One day, the opportunity finally arose.

“Bandits! Bandits outside the gates! Three of them!” A woman had called out.

Absolon sat in his usual place in the tavern, drinking his days away. He looked around, not a guard in sight.

“Eh’ll take care of it.” He arose, unsheathing his sword. All the while knowing he would die.

Quickly, he walked outside the gates, ignoring the bell which would’ve called tons of guards there. He was met with three bandits. Absolon’s old form rose as he dropped his cane, raising his sword that had been so damaged from war it was unrecognizable to be Ursine’s Vengeance: The sword he’d used to gut plenty of men on the battlefield.

He made quick work of two of them, quickly slashing them across their body, though they weren’t dead yet. The last bandit to see him was simply too quick, Absolon’s old body unable to catch the parry he would’ve been able to had he been younger.

A dagger slashing through his chest, as he pulled the last bandit’s form into him, Absolon stabbed the bandit with Ursine’s vengeance, all the while looking into his eyes as he watched his life leave him. The other two bandits stabbed Absolon in the back while this was going on. All of their wounds were fatal, though they all weren’t dead yet. Absolon fell to the ground with three daggers impaled into him, alongside the bandits who he had bested, though he had been bested too.

He looked to the sky as the rain started to pour. A smile formed on his face as his life flashed before his eyes, he remembered the crucial parts he had forgotten from being so focused on the army. He saw his wife, Lola, his two daughters: Penny and Amicia, ready to accept him with open arms. He idly reached into the sky, gripping for them as tears fell from his eyes. Maybe this was the key to being happy, being reunited with his kids and wife.

A moment of innocence came from the bandits, as they all knew they were on their last breath too.

“Was it all worth it?” The bandit who first stabbed him asked, probably in his own version of life passing before his eyes.

“....Yes” Absolon answered. Though he didn’t know if it was directed to him. Happy after defending Elysium and his real sister Azriel one last time. After a few fatal minutes, his arm fell to the ground, his smile faded, and his tears dried as life slowly left his eyes. Along with the bandits he had bested.

Christopher de Astrea, Absolon's son-in-law, was sitting within his dark study within the Elysian Palace. He hadn't left in a multitude of months- years, even. He grew paler in the dim candlelight as the news of Absolon's death reached him. He breathed outwardly, closing his eyes and muttering beneath his breath, "Everyvun Ich have known... gone... soon there vill be nothing left..." His breath hitched in his murmurings, "...Ich just hope that day will come long after Ich am gone... Absolon... such a grand figure... may he rest peacefully in t'e Seven Skies... if such a peace exists." He closed his eyes once more, continuing to wallow in his grief.

Kosher Daesmon heard the news while in the tavern in Fenn. He went outside, raising a shot of whiskey towards the skies. “A warriors death for a true hero. How the mighty fall to keep their people safe. Van’ayla Llir.” He would down the shot, remembering the old man.

The moment Amethyst had gotten word of her brother in arms death, her heart cried. Her youngest was asleep on her lap, as she had a nightmare not minutes before word had spread. Amethyst did her best to hide her tears until her child was asleep. Once she was, tears streamed down her cheeks as she began to sob. She grew with so many, yet she will watch so many fall and pass. "Absolon...you and other lead me through my early years of the military.  You trained my son who leads today, rest well. You deserve it after all theses years. Yak yak yak" Her words fall soft as her sobs continue through the night.

In fire she was born, and to Fire she was beholden. A Keeper remembered well the valiant de Astrea, that Absolon, from her time spent upon that loathsome mortal coil. From beyond the grasp of the Allfather she crossed her arms, appearing as some vague apparition in the corner of her Barrowlord's gaze. A faceless mask was all she was known by to the remnant living, but even that charred visage dipped its head to the passing of the warrior. She looked to the one whom she was bound, and uttered henceforth a singular inquiry - the most she'd spoken in decades.

"Inerrant is the path of which we walk - we fall, we rise, we fight... do others come back, or are they doomed to never again glimpse that which they have fought for?

I wish that upon our realization of the Age of Fire, that I never more need bear witness to the passing of mortal lives."

Togrim sat in his room, contemplating now. he had now started to know how it felt to lose friends, to lose those close to him, but he continued to press on. he had to act, for them. "ill see you later old friend, it might have been your time....but i will make sure your legacy lives on, rest well"

Edited by Northtitan

Amicia smiled as her father finally found his way into the Seven Skies.

"Papa - you're finally home now. I've missed you so."

Aech Amberace stares at the letter he recieved, utterly dumbfounded. "Wait... No, he didn't... I just saw..." The letter flutters to the ground as the holder attempts to catch his tears before they hit the ground, his face buried in his hands. It had to be a mistake, not Absolon, this is some typo right? "I saw him just yesterday... and he was... fine... right?" They mumble, wiping at their face. But alas, he knew it to be true. The man's declining health was clear to see... But hey, he had a good run. The best run she'd seen. She smiles at the memories, but her smile quickly fades as a realization dawns. "Oh god... Azzie isn't going to take this well..." She whispers, wiping the last tears from her face. And so she makes her way down under the city to a certain friend's home, preparing herself with a conversation she never thought she would have... 

"What?" Aobh had been caught off guard- she had just seen Absolon a couple of Saint's Days prior, alive. By that night she was packed once more, departing from the Spire in Elysium for another solo expedition up into the frozen lands near Norland. Upon reaching where the Elysium guard's tower had once stood she'd give pause, signing the Lorraine. "Enjoy the afterlife with your oem'ii old llir." With that the Paladin continued off into the wild solitude to reflect. 

"OI!" The Old De Astrean Said to her as she fought in the Battlefield of old crossroads "OI LOOK OUT YE STUNNED STOMP!" he Shouted as she was tackled to the ground by a Imperial State Soldier, though upon the Orenians face, was the sword almost came down, impaled by Ursin's vengeance only to drop to the floor next to her. Frisket looked up at Absolon, a friend, and a leader at the time who led the rangers charge with Norland during the tenth Nordling war he pivoted at a 180 degrees as his hand was swinging his Blade gutting a another bucket soldier and cleaving his ribs, only to place his hand on the middle dull side of his blade, stunning a soldier with the but of the sword and dropping the hilt on his head. he turn to Frisket who stared stunned in the floor. almost impressed: "WE ARE LEAVING LASS, E'LL TAY CA'E OF YER ARSE, PROMISED ELLANORE TO GET A'LL HOME SAFE!" as he outstretched a hand to Frisket, As the other rangers retreated form the fight along side their Norlandic Allies, as the Orenians chased them back to the snowy mountains.

Yet it was just a dream, or memory, as frisket woke in the office table of her room, as the clock in her bedroom struck, she looked upon it frowning at how early it was still. "These stupid dreams become vivid every time I sleep...." Just as she said she got up from her chair and put her long cotton cloak as she walked around the house, she went into the library area in the lower levels, to read upon the recorded books from historians, then dropped it at the sharp pain of her missing arm, as she attempted to flip the page with mere air, she picked it up only to find a missive on the messenger bird, she went and unwrapped it, as one of her eyes have reported something, her hands shook and her knees bent, as if kneeling to a dark evil that shook her to the core, a fear of negligence and un-profound disbelief, Elysium has lost its Final.....best she stared Unto the flag of the Vanari as she prayed to the all father for her safety and the safety of others, as she knows the time to find the strength and be strong is over, and the time is nie.....

"Mardita sea, I need a ******* arm, and is AHORA!" she mentioned with a sobbing expression as tears fell once again "I will soldier on, My friend....."

“...Dig the Cloaked graves

Yay, fore' they fall

Dig the Cloaked graves

Graves long, wide, and deep

And if Goliaths

Sayeth their peace

The ashes of men

Earn their release…”

Sinsio sings to himself as he lazily glides through the forest, sipping generously from his flask. Countless times he has sung the hymn of the Rangers, Helm of Elys, in honor of comrades fallen. This was the hardest death since Matilda’s. He choked at the thought. So many sisters and brothers lost to war, monsters, politics...

Absolon was the finest Ranger this world has ever known. He was the epitome of everything a Ranger was, could be, and ever will be. He was brave and tenacious, stalwart and dangerous. He was kind and loyal to his friends and the greatest nightmare to his foes. He was the best of Elysium and did everything in his power to build and protect the city and everyone in its walls.

Not only was he the best the world had to offer, he was Sinsio’s first and oldest friend in Almaris. 

Sinsio finished the song as he stumbled on, drunker than normal, his eyes red and glossy as he felt more lonely in this world than he had since his migration to Almaris. He slumped back against a tree and hugged his knees as tears silently rolled down his cheeks.

Sinsio's favorite memories flooded his mind. Sparring sessions, rowdy nights at the tavern full of drinking games and singing and laughter, Absolon with his family, the hundreds of times Absolon called him a blueberry, fighting alongside him as they yelled insults and compliments to each other in the midst of battles unnecessarily just because it was fun to play with danger. He allowed a small smile to cross his face at these thoughts.

Sinsio sighed thinking of the hardships Absolon had endured in his long life. He was sad to never see his friend again, but happy that he could finally rest. A little jealous even. Absolon truly earned the sleep of the dead, the rest a Ranger only earns in the afterlife.

"Sleep easy, you one-eyed bastard," he said with a sad smile as he poured out his drink to soak into the ground. He wiped away the tears and rose, climbing up onto a rock haphazardly and looked out across the forest. He took in a deep breath and screamed "YAK YAK YAK!" 

He chuckled to himself. "You're probably laughing now, you big idiot. I'm going to miss you. Until we meet again when the sun sets for me, my old friend."

Edited by Sonico_fate

Lola would look up from the book she had been enjoying so splendidly, a calm demeanor replaced by an expression of surprise, and peace. "Ah, I thought I told you not to block with your face, Ab." She smiled and got up to greet her husband. "I missed you sorely... Things were starting to get boring around here."

-=-=-=-=-

Zylia held the letter in her scarred hands, brows furrowed as she held back a nearly overflowing well of tears. This was a letter she had received many times in her extended lifespan, but to see the name of the man she worked alongside and fought with for many years truly caused her great grief. "Absolon... The Seven Skies'll sureleh receive ye as a 'ero, walk well, my good friend." She muttered solemnly, to no one but herself, as the morbid thought that she would outlive her human companions swirled in a thundering cloud behind her stony, amber eyes. She continued on, her heart forever a little heavier with the memory of Absolon etched deep within. She would miss her friend. 

Azriel dropped the letter with shaking hands, the paper drifting through the air to eventually rest on the floor. She held his precious last gift tight in her arms as she rocked back and forth. A broken sob escaped her as she wrestled with an onslaught of emotions. She had just seen him, hugged him, laughed with him. Why... why was he gone? How could such a good person be taken so soon? Their last meeting wasn't supposed to be the last time they would see each other.  They were supposed to laugh together again, to hug each other again, to be together again. He wasn't supposed to leave her. 

More broken sobs followed the first as tears flowed down her cheeks. She didn't bother to wipe them away, they would be replaced soon anyways. She couldn't help but sit there wondering if he was looking down upon her, continuing to protect her. She fought to get out words, but she could do it, for him. "I love you Absy. Thank you for being such a wonderful brother to me. You and the memories we made together will stay forever in my heart." She paused for a moment, letting the truth of the next part set in, before continuing on. "My heart may be broken, and it certainly isn't perfect, but a large part of it belongs to you." She knew she would never forget about him, but there was a heavy weight on her shoulders. Sheo has been missing for decades, she barely speaks to Aech anymore, Eugeo is always busy, and Lucius is always almost dying. She had just lost the closest, and most important person to her. How could she carry on alone? Who was going to protect her and support her? Who was going to love her in the way only the best of older brothers can? How could she carry on without her brother? How could she live alone?

Eventually, when she had no more tears to cry, she weakly got up with a fiery resolve in her eyes. She would protect Elysium, and herself, just like Absolon. She was going to make her brother proud. For now however, she needed time. Time to process, and time to plan, but most importantly, time to both remember and grieve. She took a deep breath, hugging herself tight. "Goodnight brother. You can rest now."

Alona Heartstring Vanari sits down in the forge, the very one where she last saw Absolon and had made a cane with a raven alongside her husband, Togrim. She begins to remember all the fun chaotic times whenever around him. Having many celebratory moments in the old Elysium keep yelling YAK YAK YAK. A smile comes across her face as she recalled her last mission under him, but would soon fade slightly away as she cried

"You will be missed deary. But your lessons forever live on with the keep you help build from ground up. And Elysium as a whole. kae'leh sil ito nae." She says as she gazes down towards her very first, ranger helmet.

A certain dame of onyx tresses and a piercing gaze glanced the missive; something in her expression faltered at the sight, and she couldn't help but approach, fingers tracing those profound etchings. 

"..Ah," she'd whisper, breath catching and hitching in her throat. "Seems it all caught up to you, didn't it?"

Before any other sorrow could be expressed in front of such a crowd, that bustling street- she swept away and ducked throughout each cloaked figure, each powdered dame, and stalked off towards her humble abode.