((Just give the weapon RPly, not OOCly))

Unwillingly

I’m sure a lot of players have heard this phrase once or twice while entering a city. You’re trying to get inside, a guard enters the gatehouse, and you go through the usual process. They then ask, RPly, that you relinquish your weapons, followed by a blurb somewhere that says,

((Just give the weapon RPly and not OOCly))

This, in short, entails that you emote giving your RP weapon to the guard while the item remains in your inventory OOCly.  It’s quick, simple, easy, and allows communities to turn themselves into a padded room.

This is dumb,

But a lot of unnamed places do it,

Even though the person who RPly surrenders their weapon would still be within their full right to emote being in possession of the item. 

adN5nfY6fkjWUOYqirymfXqKo5Yy43RR-uRbGcnV9T2nHg25y1VRQuh6wA_2V4fgFZjzocKmaPfeNHfDZkc3TY3umU2XwVkO-Yn5oqLdPsS7orgGPOIY7RxZIF7dNhmHhQlJesvj

This function of ((just give the weapon RPly and not OOCly)) allows settlements/nations to fully bypass a process that could never be efficiently monitored or tracked if you take even a second to think about it. How do the guards know whose weapon belongs to who? What stops people from simply lying and instead stealing someone else’s weapon? What if there’s no guards present to return someone’s weapon to them upon leaving?

Pretty much none of those questions could be answered without some complicated and ridiculous process to justify it, so that’s why many places simply rely on taking the weapon RPly, while allowing the player to MCly keep their weapon.

However,

If you, as a community, cannot effectively monitor a process you are willingly choosing to enforce, then you should be subject to the consequences that come with it, such as players choosing to go elsewhere under the impression that they very well may not get their weapon back, or that they will be wholly unable to defend themselves if they’re attacked.

A player's made-up, self-convenient rule doesn't override a rule that's been in practice for years at this point, so you don't have ground to complain when someone chooses to take advantage of it.

“But does that mean we also interpret MCly punching someone or sprint jumping as admissible in RP too?”

No because we all know none of those have any bearing on RP and are harmless in comparison to one’s inventory. We all know that if you get MCly punched it doesn’t mean you’re getting RPly punched, because that would be ridiculous, unless you’re trying to be a rule-lawyer.

Please stop, it's silly.

Spoiler

I want to take a second to clarify that this post isn’t meant to attack the mods or the rules, but rather to criticize this process that some nations are prone to doing as a whole.

The only point in which the mods should be subject to criticism is the case when this rule is blatantly ignored in favor of the community who claimed they should not be within possession of a weapon they never even MCly took.

This is why I just give the guards my pickaxe and not my tanglefoot, thanhic estoc, meteorite hammer, 7 paladin relics, MArt, genetically modified murder hound, or my 5 will o' bottles and blasting potions which I will use to commit terrorist acts within the city.

works every time...

1 minute ago, monkeypoacher said:

what the **** are you talking about

If u somehow have never seen certain nations do this then it sounds like a u problem at that point

19 minutes ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

If u somehow have never seen certain nations do this then it sounds like a u problem at that point

I have, I just don't see the issue? Any reasonably well-managed town on Almaris realistically would disarm you at the gates. Crossbow violence is an epidemic. If you want to toss someone your items instead of just RPly agreeing that some of them have been removed from your person and sent to hammerspace that's your prerogative. If you want to smuggle weapons into a town you should do it in RP instead of telling people that they can't guard their towns in a certain way.

If anything, I think the /search command is really game-y and doesn't represent how a guy would be able to search me for weapons through 4 feet of iron bar reinforced concrete and voidal-proof glass, but that's apparently not the issue you have

4 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

I have, I just don't see the issue? Any reasonably well-managed town on Almaris realistically would disarm you at the gates. Crossbow violence is an epidemic. If you want to toss someone your items instead of just RPly agreeing that some of them have been removed from your person and sent to hammerspace that's your prerogative. If you want to smuggle weapons into a town you should do it in RP instead of telling people that they can't guard their towns in a certain way.

If anything, I think the /search command is really game-y and doesn't represent how a guy would be able to search me from weapons through 4 feet of iron bar reinforced concrete and voidal-proof glass, but that's apparently not the issue you have

Yeah they would disarm you but I'm pointing out that it's not something that people can actually monitor effectively, because there is literally zero way to keep track of it without some over-the-top process, so people instead tend to make up their own rules to bypass having to actually put any effort into enforcing their city's safety without having to worry about losing out on activity

I also don't get why you'd say "just do it in RP" but then justify people making up a rule for their own convenience, shouldn't the responsibility fall on the gatekeepers to figure out a process in RP that they can effectively enforce? 

1 minute ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

Yeah they would disarm you but I'm pointing out that it's not something that people can actually monitor effectively, because there is literally zero way to keep track of it without some over-the-top process, so people instead tend to make up their own rules to bypass having to actually put any effort into enforcing their city's safety without having to lose out on activity

From my understanding moderators have claimed if they RP'ly put stuff in a chest as you described and you have screenshot evidence of such they cannot use said items in RP. You can RP hiding weapons, trinkets, tools which can be easily moved on from.

Then again, could be wrong. Just what was described to me.

5 minutes ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

Yeah they would disarm you but I'm pointing out that it's not something that people can actually monitor effectively, because there is literally zero way to keep track of it without some over-the-top process, so people instead tend to make up their own rules to bypass having to actually put any effort into enforcing their city's safety without having to worry about losing out on activity

Yeah, I know it doesn't make perfect sense in RP. But most things don't on this server. Yes, it breaks a footnote rule, but so do a lot of staff verdicts. It's just such an incredibly silly thing to tell players they can't do - I can't be nice to someone and not take their items when I disarm them? 

I could also keep track of people's weapons with chests and signs, it's just the inconvenience of both of us having to be on at the same time - which is not an issue of RP enforcement - that makes this untenable. I have no idea if I'm going to have to log off in 20 minutes when the guy wants to leave. But I could also just build a "weapons locker" adjacent to the gatehouse that players could publicly access, do /cprivate myname theirname, and then let them pick it up on the way out. It's a solvable issue, people just found the path of least resistance.

When I tried to roleplay a corrupt city watchman and relieve magic roleplayers of their special enchanted contraband I was faced with players who would get so apoplectic about their special carbarum-lunarite-diamond alloy swords being taken off their person that I was basically forced to say "okay just don't RP having it buddy" to get them to stop chimping out OOCly. So there's that, too. What you're complaining about is just a convenient workaround that you do not have to participate in. You can always give your items away.

8 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

If you want to smuggle weapons into a town you should do it in RP instead of telling people that they can't guard their towns in a certain way.

I’d be all for smuggling rp but kinda impossible to do w/ zero ways to get into a 300000 foot walled city that has been optimized to keep people out even when it looks like shit forcing you to the front gate

kinda impossible to do smuggling rp if city leads care more about dollhouse than injecting another aspect of narrative I.e. crime into their settlements !!

-Break-

i concur with this purely cause i think it’s lazy, and any ((ooc chat)) in my rp infuriates me, plus make guards work I had to do it when I was a proud noob!!!

11 minutes ago, space warlord organ trader said:

I’d be all for smuggling rp but kinda impossible to do w/ zero ways to get into a 300000 foot walled city that has been optimized to keep people out even when it looks like shit forcing you to the front gate

kinda impossible to do smuggling rp if city leads care more about dollhouse than injecting another aspect of narrative I.e. crime into their settlements !!

This is an entirely separate issue!!!

Also lying to the guard works like 70% of the time just tell them you're unarmed and watch as Elysium roleplayers are terrified of confrontation

This a verified stupid forum post. If you get disarmed at the gate by some guard who takes your items, then it happens, oh well, that's Roleplay get over it. I don't understand why we're up in arms over being disarmed at a city gate when its been happening for years, or guards just don't let you in when you have weapons. 

By all means, give me your weapons and items. You likely won't get them back if I end up having to log off while you are still in the city.
If you have such a problem with it, go find an open gate city.

id agree but admins can’t even roll my inventory back after it was wiped, only response i’ve gotten was “**** that sucks dude”. how am i supposed to trust players to give stuff back when admins can’t even give me my stuff back