[Completed]DISCUSSION: THANHIUM'S STRENGTH !

ronin_champloo

Hello, I wanted to gather the community’s thoughts on something that’s been on mine – and various other people’s minds – for some time, being that of Thanhium’s current strength.

So far, its strengths are:

- It is stronger than steel, far more stronger than any open material right now save for Blue-Steel and Carbarum; materials that are currently impossible to get.

- Frostbite. It can effectively disarm someone with just a cut, being able to give someone a cold from a stab and more worst scenarios lead to permanent amputation, wounds are granted Frostbite which lead to limbs being ‘impossible’ to move for an undefined amount of time, leading to PGing of its already powerful effects.

- Thanhic-Poisoning. Injuring a mage with this not only grants the associated injuries above, but also stops them from casting for an undefined amount of time.

- You are able to tank spells with Thanhium to a certain amount, however at times does it cleave through spells like butter.

Rather the list, right ? This doesn’t account for its rarity and gatekept nature due to how Thanhic-Forging is locked knowledge. Now, I wouldn’t really take note of this due to how it’s a way of making sure that it isn’t spread too far – granted as it’s a powerful metal, keeping it in check and rare is a good idea. 

To give a more indepth view of how strong it is, allow me to show you this.

t41Uy1wo1C7z136aEYzW540YAIvqW06c1zQFiy0oX2VCjM7LUa1eVHWcFd-fyrkMsIwApUscEOPaqzK73_Hae06VpFLKm5FYGIgrpEz3LkSbXPB8iQ-maa0eRg1HcOPPDhLZTrFC

This is me asking the effects of Thanhium upon a person should they get cut by it.

TvX8KCqxCXBOIXtq-BU70NK1aKVGB4oTB9UFuEJFO57nlb3dwBn-Ai3GT9d5vtla5KxvtqXHTPdqOw92vOxRqOVvsOJ6H3HY4-uGRNtF-wv6w36HmkuzomPJnhX5Cu3Xs1S_pLuO

Nonetheless, due to how communities are currently run, what mostly happens is there is one specific Thanhic-Forger, and the rest just feed them materials and he pumps out weapons for his group. There isn’t anything wrong with this since it’s how most people would do things, but due to it – the ability to keep Thanhium in check is now disrupted, granted that everyone and a lot of people have Thanhic-Steel weapons now; where in CRP, you are more likely to run into it than Lunarite at this point. 

It has made CRP encounters dull, boring and the same where one party tries extremely hard to cut someone so they could list out the effects in OOC. At that point, should it be the first move, then it just goes to PVP instead as starting combat with Thanhic-Posioning is unwinnable. Not the most fun way to go about combat, isn’t it ?

Granted, there is a few specific way to defend yourself from Thanhium:

- Wear armor

- Use Nephilim Dragonsflame on it for two continued emotes.

- Use Arcanium

The first defense is something that’s applicable for everything else, not just Thanhium, but combat in general. Nephilim’s Dragonsflame can only be accessed by Nephilim – and even then, it uses their Inner Flame which slowly drives them to a PK should they expend themselves entirely of it, furthermore it lasts only a few emotes meaning that to avoid their weapon shattering; they only need to defend themselves or use a shield for that set of time. Arcanium is a nice way to defend yourself from it, but like Thanhium – it suffers from being gatekept, furthermore it requires a Voidal Mage to make it.

So tell me, I’d like to know from all parts of the community; the CAs, the mundane folk, the PVP crowd, magic-circles, etc. What are your thoughts on it. Does it need a nerf, is it fine, or do you agree with its writer?

2i5KNZKJGPPEJUV2isLKwM5UvfA_xzKkcJVnA35rGYur48l4swMCraSLCytS_h0btTCaDrC8HYuHJpGok_nQbmDcue6exo_qrWDxM7b7PubP_N9pnOCLztXPXLqF87_Hq1EZOlQC

(Thank you to Mr 'Tom' RiftBlade for allowing me to use the screenshots in this!)

who needs thanhium when you have

Steel longsword

I agree fundamentally that it's OP. I would just remove the numbing/frostbite effects when it manages to cut a target. The entire shtick is that it's an Anti-Mage weapon so I'm content to let it absorb spells and disable the flows of mana akin to Auric Oil.

I have a potentially terrible take though: BUFF other materials. It would allow for more variety in weapon choice.

For instance, low density Boomsteel is basically just an expensive blasting potion, medium density is weaker than steel and can only produce flame for 6 emotes and high density is just budget bluesteel/carbarum. I would just increase the overall fire time on the weapon to provide fire aesthetic and use in crp.

Lunarite could receive a massive buff by taking on the properties of Aurum while having the strength of steel.

Azhl is completely worthless IMO as it bends easily and doesn't even inflict azhl anemia during the combat encounter. I would make it so Azhl takes on the limb disabling aspect of Thanhium during CRP.

Ultimately I believe that strong materials/weapons are a core part of any fantasy world and really I wish there were more 'special' things on LOTC. As far as spit-balling ideas goes, a nerf isn't the right direction. Rather, I think the correct solution is actually rarity. I've suggested a couple times that Thanhium ought to be a t5 matieral, (not event-locked but rather more limited in its mining.) Additionally, I've also seen it suggested that there ought to be a proper feat made for thanhic smithing. I've given a lot of thought to this personally and ultimately I'm inclined to agree, not so much because of how common it is, but because of the sheer number of people that try to metagame it.

I fundamentally believe the biggest issue here is oversupply. As the wise spoon says, one group feeds materials into their smith, which is the natural way things are done. The biggest issue here is that it's possible to get upwards of six thanhic crystals from a single node harvest. That's enough for a forge, and four weapons which quite frankly is too much. 

The other suggestion I've heard given out by many ST themselves is buffing thanhium whilst also giving it some hinderance that makes it very punishing to use. Personally I don't think this is a very good solution because I firmly believe every piece of lore on LOTC that remains accepted should be actively used. Nerfing something to the point that no body wants to use it is poor game design, because at that point there's no reason for it to exist in the first place.

actual factual

especially what letharian said

As someone who has had to deal with 'I approach you with my thanhium axe' several times, I firmly believe that the main issue of it is simply over-saturation (considering I have seen literal squads of people run around with them).

If I personally where to fix thanhium, I would do the following:

1- reduce the amount that can be garnered from a node(?).
2- make it impossible to use if someone has a magic (regardless of what the magic is, specially since if it uses 'mana'). There should be no reason why a mage, paladin, housemage, herald, azdrazi, mystic, bloodmage, etc, should carry out a metal that acts as a direct opposite to what they need to use to use their magic (being mana). Whenever a caster casts a spell or are connected to their source of magic, the metal on their person should simply melt. (in the case of an azdrazi it should probably just melt almost instantly, same as if it wherein the hands of a Voidstalker). ((additional note: redline thanhium should not be a material that can be put into a pocket or translocated in general due to some weird deep lore of how translo works).
3. uhh... honestly you could just lessen how disastrous the frostbite is + maybe decrease the durability on it from being stronger than steel (I always thought it was as strong as steel) to be less than it.

But as stated by Orlanth, the main issue is over-saturation, with the second issue in my personal opinion is the fact that there are magics/CA groups that shouldn't even be around thanhium in the first place that are using it.

Just reduce thanhium availability/supply, or lower ingots per node. It’s a cool item in concept to mana flow, but its seen way too commonly around. I wouldn’t be opposed to tweaking some of it’s properties either.

material girl mindset destroyed crp

1 hour ago, King_Kunuk said:

2- make it impossible to use if someone has a magic (regardless of what the magic is, specially since if it uses 'mana'). There should be no reason why a paladin should carry out a metal that acts as a direct opposite to what they need to use to use their magic (being mana). 

So I can beat the **** out of voidal mages, duh.