A Purge of the Past

MutatedPotato

I would like to start off by saying that this is not exactly a "farewell."

Or, rather, it is a farewell, but in a different sense. It is a farewell to the past. A new beginning. A fresh start with a clean slate. I am going to be starting completely over with my characters, and in doing this, I will be wiping the old ones. Clearing the shelves. I tried, I really did to pick up where I left off with them and continue their stories. I truly felt there was still so much that could have been done with them, but I simply do not feel a connection to them anymore. I feel as though my hiatus drove off my motivation to finish their legacies. So, unfortunately, their stories must draw to an end. 

It pains me to feel as though I wasted people's time, energy, and efforts in my attempts to get these characters re-integrated into society. However, I would like everyone that has every interacted with me or my characters to know that I am extremely grateful for you. You have contributed so much to this grand and fascinating experience, and I hope you will find interest with the new characters I come up with. I am deeply apologetic for suddenly disappearing for over seven months with little to no contact with most of you. I see now that mental health is no joke. Please, if you ever find yourself struggling, or see someone else struggling, reach out.

With all that said, I suppose it is time to move onto the specifics of the purge. The who and how.  I'll go in order of age, oldest to youngest, starting with Ivette Taylor. This is my first time doing a post, so please be patient with me.

IVETTE TAYLOR

Ivette Taylor was joined by her son, Aldigar Buckfort, for the evening. They had spent the day baking an assortment of delights. Well, Aldigar had at least, as Ivette instructed from her seat. Her cough seemed to be quite bad that day, but she merely blamed it on allergies each time Aldigar asked. Fed up, the son got a feather duster and began cleaning for his mother. However, not to anyone's suprise, the eighty-something-year-old's home was spotless. Before he could question her again on the lie, Ivette had broken out into another fit. That was when the lad decided it was best for his mother to rest for the night. He helped her into bed, tucking her in, and holding her hand. Strangely enough, he felt something pushing him to say goodbye. And so he did. She whispered to him as she said goodbye back...

When Ivette did not stir at first light, Aldigar knew his mother finally had peace.

Aldigar wept as he remembered what she had whispered. Ivette had given him instructions. Under her pillow was a key to the box at the end of the bed. The box held several short letters, each addressed to everyone closest to Ivette. Aldigar could only cry harder reading his before delivering the rest.

Dearest Eugeo de Astrea,

Spoiler

"I regret not informing you of my feelings prior to my passing. As I am writing this, I am aware of how you feel towards me. Or, rather, how you felt toward me that day on the dock when you professed you love. Do not think I have forgotten. No, it swells in my mind every night before I slumber. You are the first thing I think of when I wake. Dearest Eugeo, my affections are all for you. I, Ivette Taylor, love and adore you for all that you are. I only wish this had happened much earlier in life, and not when our bones were as frail and crunchy as fallen leaves. Perhaps in another life, we will meet when we're younger. Or, if we are truly lucky, we shall be elves. Hundreds upon hundreds of years together. If you can stand all the sweets, that is."

Dear Buckfort Children,

Spoiler

"You may not have been my children by blood, but you were my children by heart. I prayed for your well being, day and night. Each of you have the blood of a man that I still see as a strong, proud, and powerful individual. You have the power to craft nations, but also the ability to destroy them. Please, stick together. Build together. The trials ahead will be tough, but as long as you are true, there is no obstacle that will truly block your paths."

MATILDA BUCKFORT

Much like her brother, the Buckfort lass was too stubborn to back down from an adventure, despite the risk. However, today was simply a bad day. A stormy day on the waters. Perhaps one could blame her age. Her old joints made her move slowly. She couldn't reach a rowboat in time, nor swim well enough to be rescued. Or maybe it was the ship's crew (OOC: NPC crew). Perhaps they were moving too slowly in getting the ship turned around. Perhaps they were selfish for leaving an old lady to drown. The only confirmed information was that seventy-something-year-old Matilda sunk that day. 

Two letters were delivered to her wife by a surviving crewmate.

To My Spectacular, Amazing, Beautiful, Gorgeous, Perfect, Wonderful, Splendid Wife,

Spoiler

"I hate that you're receiving this letter. It means I'm dead. Goddamn it! 

My dearest,

I apologize for not spending more time with you. I wish I had. I wish I could have made the most of every moment I was by your side. Every second I was with you was pure delight. You brought me nothing but the greatest gift in life; joy. I wish we could have had a family. Maybe even adopted a bear like Aldigar. To me, you are nothing but perfect in every way. I know you foresaw outliving me, but I hope you do not allow it to bring you sorrow. Instead, celebrate my life. All I want is for you to be happy, my love. Go out and be so. Please.

P.S.

Throw William's letter on his grave so her can read it, please."

Dear Brother,

Spoiler

(OOC: The letter was written sloppily. The ink was partially smudged and dark, as if the writer was angry while writing.)

"WILLIAM, YOU ****IN' ****!

NO ONE TOLD YOU TO GO DYING ON US!

EVERYONE'S MISSING YOU AND ****!

IT'S VERY SAD!

I MISS YOU!

YOUR LAD MISSES YOU!

YOU ****ER

WHATEVER.

(OOC: The bottom of the parchment had a few spots where it appeared to have gotten... wet? There was some blank space, and in the bottom corner was a time note.)

I love you, brother."

ALDIGAR BUCKFORT

The firstborn Buckfort sat alone in his home. He could only blankly stare at the wall as his thoughts engulfed him. His father was gone, and he was no where to be found during his death. His mother has just died. His siblings were strangers to him. He had no family. If he had just been there... could he have prevented this? He drunk himself into a stupor, chugging bottles of alcohol until he simply could not see straight. He needed to feel numb, but it only made his thoughts louder and angrier. Aldigar stood, punching the wall. He felt a breaking, but through his swaying eyesight, he could not tell if it was the wall or his hand. He drew his first away from the wall as the adrenaline began to fade from him. He touched his fingertips to the wall, feeling an indent. Looks like he hand done damage.

Until he felt the pain in his hand.

Looks like it was a mixture of both.

He held his fist as he stumbled out of his home. He made it through the front door, but then encountered every drunk man's nightmare. Stairs. He went to take a step, but ended up plummeting down them. That was where he broke his second bone. His neck. 

To The Remaining Buckforts,

Spoiler

I am truly sorry it took me so long to gather the courage to write to you all.

You are all so much stronger than me. Much more accomplished, I'm sure. However, we cannot continue being strangers to one another. We may not all still share the name, but we were once all united under the common Buckfort name. We are family, like it or not. Half or not. Elf or not. We need to be here for one another, as one. To build each other up.

Please, do your brother this favor. Be a family.

Eugeo de Astrea was vigilant has his own vision contorts with a pang of melancholy as he scans through his letter, pensive as he silently sobbed and relinquishes the memories he shared with the Buckfort across the centuries. 

She marked her legacy with certainty, and will live on through her children....he hoped. 

Alarcanis read the note with a frown, giving the second letter a glance at. After staring for what seems hours, she picked up both letters and put them into her pocket before getting up from her desk and leaving.