The Nauzica Brigade | Alstionites

seannie

THE BOOK OF NAUZICA

AFY7UmswBX6KG5Xh5IGWzhi2kILpwqnUN9hMnF9_GZV2nSp5aBTu4fZS78EV4sET9oKni7Y8SoC4piKkmAmc_PqcjgoahWBaE-xkMvuxPOi1deINQ3dzAKMHvQEmI_NoLhQo2uwh

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I. Preamble

II. Rise and Fall of the Nauzica

III. Duties and Payment

IV. Enlistment

P R E A M B L E

Introduction

QYuV-5IG6ydEJLnDZ-6Ye-tiRnVJV3WcG3ZxyITLyvKjU0B7ca8fvd1OCUHf-VrtFFvrD5Mdqt6NHfKvmP5VrYGKCpe2N-S9Ztuvbfw5XxeLbwet-bM8jk4AwsCYEQdrpuziOazi The Nauzica Brigade, once regarded as the penultimate authority on the security of Emperors past, has since seen a lengthy period of hibernation. The Brigade has been ever changing with complications of time, along with the exigencies of their patrons; this military corps is more charged in history than one would imagine from its present appearance, presently bearing remarkable similarities from its inception as an auxiliary force of the Horosid armies of Aeldin - a mercenary force as it once were in that faraway continent, all those years ago. 

The Brigade’s mission ultimately remains that which it was in the days of the Horen Empire. The protection of the Prince of Alstion and his immediate family, and the relentless pursuance of its primary and secondary objectives. However, operational standards of this level come with hefty budgeting needs, and coin is a fickle matter, hence, at the recommendation of Maxim the Nauzican, the Brigade has offered itself as sellswords in this modern iteration. Only time will tell what will be made of the Nauzica Brigade. 

C H A P T E R  1

The Rise and Fall of the Nauzica

“True gold does not fear the test of fires.”

Thomas Wettlock upon his mount to the Nauzican John Montney, before the great flames of Seahelm.

T H E   R I S E

QYuV-5IG6ydEJLnDZ-6Ye-tiRnVJV3WcG3ZxyITLyvKjU0B7ca8fvd1OCUHf-VrtFFvrD5Mdqt6NHfKvmP5VrYGKCpe2N-S9Ztuvbfw5XxeLbwet-bM8jk4AwsCYEQdrpuziOazi The Nauzica Brigade were formed in Agathor, Aeldin, in 1487 at the dispensation of Governor Benda Chivay in the Prefecture of Nauzica. Comprised of two-hundred archers, one-hundred men-at-arms, and two dozen demi-lancers, the Nauzica Brigade positioned themselves as a company-for-hire under the watchful eye of the young Prince of Alstion Charles Henry Horen, later known as the ‘Old-Pretender Polycarp’. After challenging the Emperor of Aeldin’s throne the Nauzica were roundly defeated at the Battle of Ronda in 1499. Its present-day sigil, fourteen skulls on a black field, remembers those fallen comrades in that uprising. 

The Brigade dwindled over the next thirty years to be a minor retinue in service of the Old-Pretender Polycarp, but was given a new lease on life after his son, John Frederick, reclaimed the throne of the Holy Orenian Empire in 1526. Under the command of Vulpes Roke, the Brigade asserted its place as the bodyguard of the Emperor. After Roke’s death, the Nauzica shuffled through a number of chiefs, but soon lost its relevance and was shelved at the tail-end of Emperor John’s reign. 

Despite attempts to reform the Empire at the Diet of Saltstone, the Empire fractured when in 1557 the island of Avar threw off their allegiance to John II. Its expansive standing army confronted the Empire’s levy system in a series of poor skirmishes. It was clear that the military needed change, and the Nauzica Brigade was once again revitalised and executed with great success at the Battle of Dogger Bay, where the promising Michael Sunfield, later captain, spearheaded an assault on enemy lines. A number of rebels were captured and executed, and a direct attack on Felsen averted. The Brigade earned distinction after again breaking through lines at Seahelm in 1559, where trapped Rurkid commanders put up a little resistance. The siege won, a frenzied looting broke out amongst the levy-army whilst the Nauzica were put under orders to set the city alight, which carried out ruthlessly. The 1559 sacking was a watershed moment for the Brigade, who were under intense scrutiny by the peers of the realm, and their victory was memorialised in tapestries at the palace in Johannesburg some years later.

D E C L I N E

The Brigades fortunes wavered and waned through the reign of John III, who coordinated its integration into the order of Alstion, and later in 1579 the Imperial Legion. This centralised form of command brought a series of quick victories to the Empire. On the eve of John’s death, the Empire made up the vast majority of the continent of Axios. But these reforms may have proven fatal. John III died by an assassin’s hand at the height of his power, and John IV after him died in similar fashion not one year after his father.

The succeeding reign of Philip I saw the Empire engulfed in civil war, and its collapse was not helped by the turning of the Nauzica’s 7th Captain, Philip Louis, to the rebel banners. Nevertheless, those loyal to the Brigade fought to the death, and were eventually decimated late in 1595 by Philip’s hand at the explosion of Johannesburg. With the Empire gone and the imperial line in disarray, any loyalist remnants dissipated into the mountains and swamps.

The Nauzican never reached the peak that they had enjoyed at Seahelm midway through the 16th century. The formation of the Sixth Empire was the nadir of Oren’s fortunes. Successive failings in leadership culminated in the abdication of Peter II, the loss in the War of the Beards, and the death of the child-Emperor John VI at the hands of Arpad of Vilacz in the 1638 coup d’etat of Adelburg. Alongside ending Johannian rule, the coup was the death-knell of an already crippled and exhausted Nauzica, with its number wiped out entirely.

Despite having a notable reformation in 1700 under the reign of Augustus I, Emperor of Man, the Nauzica, its military and cultural legacy, has remained dormant. Two years after Augustus’ abdication, the then Emperor Antonius disbanded the small guard in favour of the infamous Dragon Knights.

ac959eea4b0a10529631844d6b04e83f.png

“Rosencrantz, where are my legions?!”

King Arn of Aesterwald ranting after his defeat at Milvian Bridge

B A T T L E S

The Nauzica has had countless engagements throughout the years. The vast majority of these are in the record of the internal archives of the Brigade, the most notable of which are listed here.

1487 — The Sack of Caer Mant
The inaugural major battle of the Nauzica Brigade, the Sack of Caer Mant was where the Hexer School of the Griffin’s uprising was quelled on behalf of Governor Benda Chivay. The stronghold of Caer Mant was devastated through siegeworks, with the Nauzican Brigade assuming the vanguard and thrashing the host of seditious Marked Men in a bloody assault. The legendary duel between Prince Charles and Hexer Hieronymous of Lex is recorded in the song The Half-Hand Hexer, recounting Charles’ feat in maiming the Hexer against considerable odds.

1499 — The Battle of Ronda
At the hamlet of Ronda, the Nauzican Brigade suffered an emasculating defeat at the hands of Emperor Audemar. Commanded by ver de Linde, the Brigade attempted to ford the Rond river at the stroke of dusk in an attempt of ambushing Audemar’s own camp and capturing the Aeldinic emperor. Their feint was uncovered by forward sentries, who promptly stirred the armies from their slumber and apprehended the Nauzican skirmishers in pitched conflict. The battle ended in gristly defeat as an entire contingent of the brigade were massacred.

1559 — The Sack of Seahelm
The Nauzica Brigade played an instrumental role in the swift victory at Seahelm. Captain Drevin de Sarkozy was charged with leading the imperial vanguard into the city. Nauzicans served with distinction as they decimated the enemy force in a fierce blitz, leaving only stragglers in their wake.

F O R M E R   C A P T A I N S

The captains of Nauzica are listed below, those esteemed men entrusted with the leadership of the prestigious brigade.

1st Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Charles Henry Horen, Prince of Alstion
2nd Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Vulpes Roke
3rd Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser John Godfrey Horen, King of Vandoria
4th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Drevin de Sarkozy
5th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Michael Hightower

6th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Alexander Horen 

7th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Edwyn Harwyn
8th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Philip Louis Horen-Marna, Duke of Marna

9th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Owein aep Cynan

10th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Phillip Marshall

11th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Stefan Morovic

12th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Maxim Attenlund

N O T A B L E   P A T R O N S 

The Nauzica Brigade has always been in service to a greater purpose, from its rise in Vailor following the Horen Restoration, to the modern restoration in Almaris. The overwhelming majority of these iterations have been under the personal command of the Holy Orenian Emperor.

Charles Henry ‘the Old-Pretender Polycarp’ of the House of Horen-Alstion

Holy Orenian Emperor John Frederick ‘the Relentless’ of the House of Horen-Alstion

Holy Orenian Emperor John Owyn ‘the Lion’ of the House of Horen-Alstion

Holy Orenian Emperor Philip Frederick ‘the Defiant’ of the House of Horen-Alstion

Holy Orenian Empire Peter Sigismuind ‘the Troubadour’ of the House of Horen-Alstion

Emperor of Man Augustus of the House Horen-Pertinax

Holy Orenian Emperor Alexander Leopold of the House de Joannes

xmicyNvQKiRlDc3Qcn4MAr2wOUxtzlhPLCGLCxU7e8HjfnkFzZ8Q8i7YkFfN2GvEO46b6GjtoJQ46h7Z1Tm-b89wNYNlPA9KuzltzQQbUgnP-V51plQG4YOyvqwd-5asfJZPPU1z

46_t2wkBVR6VYER0Un-z3RcXMpF2UjtXL9YHn5fEhnQb5GVhN279eLJeLOKU7UfR8fqFNMILPRq9wMZQG6v9NT-x8MxLBtMXjZAXywzMPY5fcshf51Fola2Ol1f7gItfGUKyweZY

T6_G7neI_ps_gwT8B9gZ9bIsbOAZsOw4a7Cr3gPXCYRBdDToviH8N3G1XcVgT1csVD2BD4C4cmghsqli61e6PqWNh57ZLwUbnt4btsvFu6MF92uglXrt06AtXw1O56xlKC0JHMiu

c6urXtWdi23Z0o2QX8QP4ANB9WRzJE5fnE-RUKjqpv1vzlRtPctSRpnhT8pJapfyq2-JctCctZPVyfa4DH2rlXSijk6wvpIAiv4MdJX035TdF6jnxzYlIARTUDuYpYL5mUa3_wkw

The arms of the Nauzica Patrons, Johannian-Present

“A handful of men, inured to war, proceed to certain victory, while on the contrary, numerous armies of raw and undisciplined troops are but multitudes of men dragged to the slaughter.”

Ser Vulpes Roke, whilst educating a young Albert de Falstaff in the halls of Anpalais. 

C H A P T E R  2

Duties and Payment

“If only… I had paid them more...”

Vibius de Sola while being killed by his mutineering soldiers

QYuV-5IG6ydEJLnDZ-6Ye-tiRnVJV3WcG3ZxyITLyvKjU0B7ca8fvd1OCUHf-VrtFFvrD5Mdqt6NHfKvmP5VrYGKCpe2N-S9Ztuvbfw5XxeLbwet-bM8jk4AwsCYEQdrpuziOazi The Brigade is primarily a bodyguard to and personal retinue of the Prince of Alstion and his immediate family. Those enlisted should expect the privilege of guarding and serving the House Alstion, as well as fighting its campaigns and sharing in its victories. Even so, the Nauzica has returned to its roots as a limited mercenary task force. If approved by the Prince, the Captain of the Brigade may exchange money or goods for its services in combat. This helps fund the soldiers' lodgings, arms, and awards.

The Brigade will correspondingly house, feed, and arm all soldiers regardless of rank or social status, as well as maintain appropriate conditions according to blood and pedigree. Additionally, those who have served eight years are entitled to a supplementary parcel of land within the realm of the House Alstion.

Brigadiers are offered a share of a contract’s reward upon completion, the amount at the discretion of the Captain and circumstances provided. Monetary payments are paid by the House Alstion typically through specially received merits and medals awarded by the Captain. Most decorations see monetary reward, and the base form of payment for soldiers. Brigadiers are encouraged to perform and strive for these medals, rewarding positive actions and loyalty to the Alstion’s at large.

M E D A L S

Star of Saint Lothar, for those who performed a miraculous action in battle to save the unit from dire circumstances, the highest of Nauzican awards. 200minas.

Embroidered Cross of Saint Felder, a golden cross embroidered with various gems for those who performed extreme acts of heroism in accomplishment of a military goal or objective. 100minas.

Ruby Bracer, an engraved ruby medallion awarded to soldiers for drawing first blood in an engagement. 50minas.

Tears of Saint Daniel, a silver bracelet engraved with a depiction of enemy fortifications, awarded to the first 

soldier to charge. 30minas.

Saint Andrik’s Sword, a metal brooch in the shape of a blade awarded for each individual kill acquired by a Nauzican during battle. 20minas.

4aa290180636670af3c587419a22d8e1.png

“Do as you are told.”

Emperor John I to Ser Baldwin the Black after ruling for the death of Sergius de Bar

C H A P T E R  3

Enlistment

QYuV-5IG6ydEJLnDZ-6Ye-tiRnVJV3WcG3ZxyITLyvKjU0B7ca8fvd1OCUHf-VrtFFvrD5Mdqt6NHfKvmP5VrYGKCpe2N-S9Ztuvbfw5XxeLbwet-bM8jk4AwsCYEQdrpuziOazi What once defined the Nauzica as a gentlemen’s corp, occupied by the fine aristocracy of the past, is now instead reduced to small retinue under the Prince of Alstion. Resultantly, the Brigade has gone through considerable structural changes, from the consolidation of ranks to drastic alterations of its core identity. Nevertheless, certain expectations of discipline and decorum are still expected to be maintained, as the Nauzica are primarily responsible for the protection of the Alstion family.

In order to be inducted into the Nauzica Brigade, one must be handpicked directly by the Captain of the Brigade. Inductees are chosen from across Almaris and generally must have some experience in warfare on record, be of above-average skill, having prowess with a blade and numerous other weapons.

Upon enlisting, the Nauzica must swear the oath as quoted.

“I swear to be true to our Patron, and not to maintain silence about any evil that I may know which is being contemplated against them. I swear that I will obey my commander and aid my fellow brothers. I swear to cast off any traitor be it friend or foe in honour of our Patron and Captain. I swear this before God and men. I bid farewell to my former life and grace my newest with my shield and blade; stalwart and ever vigilant for humanity. This oath I give of my own free and independent will. 

There follows points of contact for further enquiry:

Captain of the Nauzica Brigade - Maxim the Nauzican @seannie

Commander of the Nauzica Brigade - Patronus Leopold Johannes Alstion, Count of Yves @cruzazul

VNpQ7XJ0t-dV0sVXAbNT68MvsjOGSFH6potVjw3SOtWLO-PY97YtyhWKwFEmyd-YKKQzYFEWJh8qBoe9dVraK1B_ckmX3kjuLqzbV80AVfoP8qq8voqB3-EaUpxGTM01aUF9NSO4

"The Nauzica Brigade serving the dwarves? What sort of historic revisionism is this one? The Nauzican Brigadiers precisely died valiantly right next to their Emperor Philip I Horen when the Grand Kingdom of Urguan besieged the Imperial City of Johannesburg in the Isles of Axios!" remarked an imperial historian by the name of Sir Charles Galbraith.

"This is so embarrassing...this is not the Nauzica Brigade...This is just the personal guard of a pretender to the Imperial Throne, and there is nothing special in that. The current military of the Holy Orenian Empire shall always be the Imperial State Army!"

Ferdinand of Alstion smiled a wide smile, partially due to a massive jaw from generations of inbreeding, but also because of his excitement for the renewed Nauzica Brigade.