Acolyte's Thesis - The Nobility and Religion

Totalitarianism_

THESIS DE OFFICIIS RELIGIOSORUM NOBILIUM

Thesis on the Religious Duties of the Nobility

Written and compiled by

qrHgJHyZwDIqMShUc852GiWtC1GJ17b5Tx5UDF-eY9nKhfngZcf_Ra-Wrgq5Rum7wy4UvfDtmlXBWOR5Ae7xjklnTV0GLeHGCGvmjKWz1Jy9OL3Kwp5L0SnyhMoG0UZGGWQrOHaE

ACOLYTE FERDINAND OF ALSTION,

ON THIS DATE

7 SE 1858

-

Dedicated to His Holiness Everardus VI,

For restoring the unity and dignity of the Church,

the purpose for which I now choose to take up the cloth.

THE RELIGIOUS DUTIES OF THE NOBILITY

or 

The Responsibility of the Nobility to Remain Faithful

“There can be no laxity in faith for any reason, not war nor peace, not wealth nor poverty. The Lord lasts through all adversities, for He is their source and their remedy—without Him, they are uncured.”

-Scroll of Spirit 2:13-14

The Church of the Canon has for many centuries been allowed to thrive under the patronage of pious noblemen. Individuals such as Carr Colborn of Carrenhall, who was later canonized as Saint Carolus of Carrenhall for his deep devotion to the church. In addition, the privilege of the nobility to oversee subjects of their domains provides the unique opportunity to influence the religious thinking of their subjects.

The individuals whose examples have stood as a model of faith have become legendary, with many having been canonized in the years and decades following their deaths. Individuals such as Saint Otto of Vanderfell, Blessed Emperor John II, Saint Henry of Alban, and Blessed King Robert of Haense, to name a few. It is because of the influence these individuals had over their subjects, whether directly or indirectly, that established them as models of the perfect canonist nobleman.

The privileges of the nobility are many, but stewardship over their laymen is one of the most valuable. The influence the nobility has over their denizens provides the unique opportunity for them to present themselves as examples of piety.

---

DONATION TO CHARITABLE CAUSES

or 

Donation to Avoid the Desire of Material Wealth

“So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of my Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not desire the wealth of this world, nor the wealth of others, but the wealth of the spirit.”

-Scroll of Virtue 2:10

In the Scrolls, God tells us not to seek the wealth of the world, but the wealth of virtue. This was taken to heart by such pious men as Saint Carolus of Carrenhall and Saint Tylos of Kalden, whose vast treasuries were devoted to the charitable words of the church. However, when God says to not desire the wealth of the world, he does not simply mean to give worldly possessions to the needy. God also requires that we provide the needy with something much more valuable than coin—faith.

When we give our material wealth away, we are accepting that it is less valuable than something. To a good canonist that ‘something’ more valuable than material wealth is faith. It is the duty of the faithful to spread the word of God to those who are poor of religious wealth.

With that being said, there is the question of what to do with such material wealth, as many noblemen possess in vast treasuries. For centuries, there have been a few possible answers—donation to the church so they may feed and clothe the poor, and to finance the construction of churches and monuments. Both are very noble acts, which not only bring glory to God and His church, but to the family that devotes their material wealth to such noble things.

---

SENDING CHILDREN TO THE PRIESTHOOD

or 

Sending Noble Children to Take Religious Orders

“For I have ordered your station and birth, and I have established the order of things. And you shall not envy the lives of others, for all virtuous paths are equal in My eyes, and all shall be rewarded not according to their station, but their virtue.”

-Scroll of Virtue 6:6-7

For many centuries there has been the tradition to send children of noble families to the church, with many men of prestigious birth rising to high ranks within the clergy. Most choose to enter the church because of a strong connection to the faith or because their families wish to prevent them from plotting to take power from their elder kin. However, sending children to the clergy can also have the more practical purpose of furthering a noble family’s image of being good canonists.

The original purpose of sending sons into the clergy is often stated as a way to prevent a son from plotting against his elder brother by having him sent into the clergy. However, this practice also serves a spiritual value. As examples of piety and devotion, the nobility has a duty to show their devotion to the principles of humility, devotion, and fidelity by sending one of their own to be subsumed into these ways. This is personified in the individuals that would take up the cloth and influence the church in some of the most pivitol periods of its existence.

One of the most memorable cases of a son of prestigious birth being sent into the clergy would be Prince Robert of Marna, who later succeeded his brother as Emperor Robert II following his assassination, and who was later dubbed ‘the Monk’ both for his religious upbringing and his failure to maintain the imperial throne. Another example would be Prince Charles of Furnestock, perhaps the most famous and controversial nobleman to ascend to the position of high pontiff in recent centuries, ascending as Daniel III. 

There are also examples of noblemen who join the clergy that are eventually canonized following their deaths, such as Saint Alexander of Furnestock and Saint Catherine of Felsen. Following the decrees of High Pontiff Everard VI allowing women to serve as priests, Princess Katerina of Haense took up the vocation of the cloth, and has since been popularly dubbed ‘Father Katerina.

((credit to Yoppl for the format))

To the devout Brother Ferdinand, @Totalitarianism_

Your writings on the role of nobility in the Faith show a deep understanding of a Canonist's duty and the history of our Faith. I am glad to approve this Thesis. Please find myself or another Clergyperson of some authority to be ordained, and begin your journey in our Holy Mother Church.

GOD bless,

Francis Cardinal Albarosa

-Al2y_tes4m2-mW7CyHL_dlr7cT68WvaMEuV9mUEvqyNueWUCFHrxTXLV1j13_xjc0IbduFLJ3nDBccqavXb6Qr9Ax1LMTajWu6AgRwcMQ7lcgmU7otuXk5srylSBDdKblfA37E9