Lets talk about -1's

JoshBright

I have been seeing many many many people insult, belittle, or show disdain for others in the comments of staff applications as of recent. Well, I may not be a moderator I feel it is highly inappropriate to drag RP actions into Staff applications. I understand some people are very upset because of the war and some handle grief or loss better than others. However, let's not insult people for the sake of insulting them.

If you have a valid and constructive criticism of a person you should be free to share that and give a negative one. However, if your criticism boils down to "they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time", "they were really mean to me one so they shouldn't be staff!" or "they killed me in rp once, grrrr" perhaps that is best kept to yourself. Now if you have a valid reason for giving someone criticism and it is constructive i believe you should be allowed to express that openly and honestly, for example if a player was contently mean, toxic or targeting you, you should be allowed to express that much in a way that makes the criticism valid and people want to listen, but just going "grrr they mean!" and giving and -1. Honestly makes the criticism feel like a complete joke. 

I was told that giving a -1 ontop a report was this huge and massive deal, however from how it has been treated recently, it just seems like a complete joke. Make love, not war. Lets try to be better towards eachother :)

-JoshBright

-1, toxic player I hate them grrrr super evil do not let them be staff they beat me up on mineman once

Just now, NotEvilAtAll said:

-1, toxic player I hate them grrrr super evil do not let them be staff they beat me up on mineman once

ok that funny lmao

My -1 had nothing to do with his irp actions but by his ooc ones. (assuming K-rusader) I also hold no hate to him, but he shouldn't be staff.

5 minutes ago, Dogged said:

My -1 had nothing to do with his irp actions but by his ooc ones. (assuming K-rusader) I also hold no hate to him, but he shouldn't be staff.

Well I will be the first to admit some of the comments on k-rusaders report were not really the best, it has been happening on a lot of report recently, so this post was a general perspective and not focused on just one report. (over all no, i did not have your comment in mind when i had this)

2 minutes ago, rukio said:

Orenian moment

not quite sure I get this? 

Spoiler

rukio moment 

2 minutes ago, JoshBright said:

Well I will be the first to admit some of the comments on k-rusaders report were not really the best, it has been happening on a lot of report recently, so this post was a general perspective and not focused on just one report. (over all no, i did not have your comment in mind when i had this)

JoshBright..... I am sorry, but like really?

22 minutes ago, JoshBright said:

they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time

Spoiler

if you want to have a civil talk about all of this don't fret to msg me on discord, Dogged#8148

When I was on CT and they had us looking at people's apps and interviews to vote to add them to the team (popularity contest style), I honestly never even looked at Staff Apps in full. I checked the +1s and -1s to see the general opinion if I didnt already know them. If there were an overwhelming amount of -1s from a bunch of different people, I would defiantly take it into consideration. +1s are generally given by friends and through begging so I hardly looked at them

UPDATE: I had a good convo w/joshbright. I think making more constructive comments would be beneficial to our community instead of this +-1 spam.

Forums should have the option to downvote posts if accounts are able to upvote posts.

As for -1 on staff apps it is necessary for players to be able to give criticism on other players and if it really just boils down to mud slinging then the moderation team that looks at the staff app will likely be able to realize that aswell.

people who apply to mod or any staff team open themselves up to criticism and backlash, -1s are taken into consideration and evaluated as long as they provide a valid point and aren't just "-1 lol" tier replies 

so yeah if someone goes, "they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time" that's pretty much going to be ignored

unless the person reviewing the staff apps is desperate to fill their roster

edit: slorbin also hit the nail on the head too. there have been some genuinely disgusting fkn people on staff, so people who get -1'd by a plethora of players don't get it for no reason or because people do it out of spite

+1s mean nothing when it comes to staff applications except to boost egos because people like to spam their own applications in every discord they have access to telling people to +1 with a comment to get it on trending. More often than not, people comply with these because they're friends with the person and not because they actually think they'd be a good fit for the team despite saying something along the lines of 'blah blah blah, good skills in blah blah'. I've seen numerous people give a +1 reply to a staff app but will upvote every -1s on the same app, likely out of fear of being ostracised or peer pressure if they openly made their own -1 comment. If there are -1s on a staff app and a lot of upvotes on it, that's how you know that there's something there. I personally haven't seen any -1s that mention RP except to use it as context to someone's OOC behaviour about a situation. It is how it is.

-1's are needed. Some players are genuine, human garbage, the absolute plagued of the crop, and some people don't know that, let alone the moderation team.

Whoever has mass -1's is probably hated for good damn reason. Not just the odd one or two dislikers in RP but pages of -1's.

Something to take away from this is maybe focus more on the critiscism/positive feedback in +/-1s. This is a much better way to identify what skills someone struggles or excels at.