Lore Change - Racial Updates

squakhawk

6 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

So you're fine with 12 year old orcs FTBing cuz they at the age of maturity at 12 yuh?

Did you ignore the line that said "Orcs: Get physically full grown at 12 but their age of maturity is 18" or.

11 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

So you're fine with 12 year old orcs FTBing cuz they at the age of maturity at 12 yuh?

Try reading the rest of my post buddy. Physically grown =/= Age of maturity. There are no races that should be FTBing with ages of maturity less than 18. 18 should be the minimum for FTB. I'll reiterate the bit about the Orcs specifically for you.

Orcs: Get physically fully-grown at 12 but their age of maturity is 18. 

They are not mentally mature until 18. I could not have been more specific, I literally colour-coded it for you.

Whatever aging lore stuff happens with accelerations or decelerations, rules-wise, boils down to Age Of Maturity = <Number>, which should at minimum for all races be 18. Doesn't matter if there's a race that only physically matures quicker or only mentally matures quicker, you can have a big box with a number equal to or greater than 18 as Age Of Maturity and if that is ever broken by player FTB, that's counted as enabling.

Edited by func_Soap

5 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

I know these numbers aren't perfect, but just to give you a rough idea, how much love goes into LOTC...

Oh I know, I was on staff at one point believe it or not.  But my statement still stands in regards to this post, instead of working with the communities to find something that worked they simply dumbed down the lore to make it easier for them despite the opinions of the players. 

This also isn't helping the growing rift between staff and players, knowing those in the upper echelon can just come and in take stuff from us without as much as a DM to their respective leaders.

Just now, TakeMeT0TheFae said:

Oh I know, I was on staff at one point believe it or not.  But my statement still stands in regards to this post, instead of working with the communities to find something that worked they simply dumbed down the lore to make it easier for them despite the opinions of the players. 

This also isn't helping the growing rift between staff and players, knowing those in the upper echelon can just come and in take stuff from us without as much as a DM to their respective leaders.

No, if the rift is growing (you're the first one I've heard to say that, besides the typical 10 forum screechers who never contribute anyways and just complain) -  it's because certain people in our community act like staff aren't players. Because people don't want to get involved, don't want to help with our chores and then staff members simply take the quickest route. People think LOTC is some kind of a service from a company (Tythus LTD lmao) instead of seeing it as what it is: A community.

(Not directed at you btw.)

19 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

<Snip>

There's at least 2 communities here who feel entirely divorced from lore now. There's at least 2 communities which have had a fundamental restructuring to the age progression of our characters and the culture that sprouts from that age progression changed without any communication of it. It's a bombshell to drop onto 2 niche communities that, especially for the Halflings, have rendered children adults over-night. The entire point of soft-shelving lore is to gradually phase in changes to support some level of continuity of lore, but that's impossible to bridge in this instance. A 2/3rds grown child is now an adult.

For individual characters, that's coming-of-age celebrations that can't be RPed, or it's generations compressed down into smaller age ranges. It's wanting to RP a child but being forced to RP an adult. Timelines can't just be Thanos snapped into different circumstances without fracturing those continuities.

For the Halfling community it's a cultural earthquake as a lot of the opinions regarding the other races are suddenly rendered invalid. It's a large chunk of the dogma that's supported the culture for years being removed. It's actively destructive to the Halflings.

And we weren't contacted regarding it. And it's only happening because it's too difficult to moderate take number of years and divide by two.

It's comparable to if, because of language difficulties, English was the only IRL language allowed to be used IRP. English-speaking moderation won't know what's a slur and what isn't, so let's only allow English. Say goodbye to the foundational chunks of most human cultures, because it's just too difficult! What's the Russian version of the N-word? What's the Arabic version of the F-word? The most active Highlander and Farfolk groups aren't allowed to use their distinct languages anymore.

Edited by func_Soap

8 minutes ago, func_Soap said:

It's comparable to if, because of language difficulties, English was the only IRL language allowed to be used IRP. English-speaking moderation won't know what's a slur and what isn't, so let's only allow English. Say goodbye to the foundational chunks of most human cultures, because it's just too difficult!

Nobody is using this anyways. I have NEVER seen in my entire like someone using a different language irp outside of memes. Most just go around using the obvious words everyone know from different languages. "Vyr" "Merci" "Cheri" "Ja". So it gives you the vibe. You're overly dramatic here, I'm sorry.

If your cultural is so defined by the coming-of-ages celebration from LOTR, it's no issue, you can easily celebrate it at 33. There is NOTHING stopping you. The only thing prevented is, that you can **** hobbit children. And that is good. Nothing is damaging your roleplay. If you wanna keep playing a kid - just set the age lower again, no one will care.

"halfling children are actually of age now and allowed to get married"

31630652_latest(1).thumb.jpeg.6be54945349258306545c4b34864f21e.jpeg

why dont you take a seat?

23 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

If your cultural is so defined by the coming-of-ages celebration from LOTR, it's no issue, you can easily celebrate it at 33. There is NOTHING stopping you. The only thing prevented is, that you can **** hobbit children. And that is good. Nothing is damaging your roleplay. If you wanna keep playing a kid - just set the age lower again, no one will care.

"Nein" and "niet" are as simple as "divide your age by 2."

And the whole problem with the Elf thing was that they physically and mentally mature at 18 but are only culturally mature at 50. By making Halflings mature at 18 but encouraging us to continue to culturally celebrate maturity at 33, all you've done is make it legal for people to predate on culturally pre-mature people.

If a halfling is older than 18 but younger than 33, they're considered by the rules to be an adult but by culture to be a child. This grey area has been ADDED by the rules change. This grey area is the PROBLEM with the old Elf lore.

The only problem BEFORE the rules change for Halflings was that staff didn't want to enforce the lore.

So now we've been given an unwanted "fix" without being informed ahead of time to a problem we didn't have that has widened the risk and will require greater moderation to ensure it isn't abused. Why is it a good thing that Halflings will now face the same problem Elves did before this fix?

For Halflings before: "wtf that's a child, they're younger than 33!"
For Halflings now: "well they're a grown-up but still a child??? They're older than 18 but younger than 33????? Is that alright????????"

Thanks for the Elf problem. This update has unfixed it.

We consider Halflings age 18-32 to be children IRP. These rules allow people to FTB with those Halflings. This is a step backwards.

Edited by func_Soap

22 minutes ago, func_Soap said:

"Nein" and "niet" are as simple as "divide your age by 2."

And the whole problem with the Elf thing was that they physically and mentally mature at 18 but are only culturally mature at 50. By making Halflings mature at 18 but encouraging us to continue to culturally celebrate maturity at 33, all you've done is make it legal for people to predate on culturally pre-mature people.

If a halfling is older than 18 but younger than 33, they're considered by the rules to be an adult but by culture to be a child. This grey area has been ADDED by the rules change. This grey area is the PROBLEM with the old Elf lore.

The only problem BEFORE the rules change for Halflings was that staff didn't want to enforce the lore.

So now we've been given an unwanted "fix" without being informed ahead of time to a problem we didn't have that has widened the risk and will require greater moderation to ensure it isn't abused. Why is it a good thing that Halflings will now face the same problem Elves did before this fix?

For Halflings before: "wtf that's a child."
For Halflings now: "well they're a grown-up but still a child???"

Thanks for the Elf problem. This update has unfixed it.

Just take a deep breath and read the post again, I won't say anything more. Non of what you've said is true. Take a deep breath. Halflings stop being children at 18. That fixes it.

THE DE-FLAMIZATION HAS BEGUN

1 hour ago, func_Soap said:

Try reading the rest of my post buddy. Physically grown =/= Age of maturity. There are no races that should be FTBing with ages of maturity less than 18. 18 should be the minimum for FTB. I'll reiterate the bit about the Orcs specifically for you.

Orcs: Get physically fully-grown at 12 but their age of maturity is 18. 

They are not mentally mature until 18. I could not have been more specific, I literally colour-coded it for you.

Whatever aging lore stuff happens with accelerations or decelerations, rules-wise, boils down to Age Of Maturity = <Number>, which should at minimum for all races be 18. Doesn't matter if there's a race that only physically matures quicker or only mentally matures quicker, you can have a big box with a number equal to or greater than 18 as Age Of Maturity and if that is ever broken by player FTB, that's counted as enabling.

sorry didnt see that part

i just think it's the premise of it being a bit weird (seeing fully grown 12 year olds going ooga booga child rp until theyre 18) sort of vibe

dont think the lore post rlly changes their irp perspective either. if 12 being the age of maturity irp was a thing, just keep it a thing as part of culture, as long as people avoid swinging their ding-dongs around and dont get caught slacking

this pst doesnt really force anyone into doing anything cus half the server doesnt rp aging properly anyways

I can see why the ST don't normally retcon lore anymore. 

Also, the difference between a 90 year old human dating a 18 year old human, vs a 90 year old elf dating a 18 year old elf is that the age of 18 for humans is both the physical and cultural age of maturation. For elves the physical age of maturation may be 18, but the elves hold a stricter cultural maturation age of 50. Elves below 50 are still considered children. This makes sense when your race is borderline immortal, as the standard in that cultural for someone who is mentally an adult is way higher.

An issue i've found is how do you quantify this physical and cultural maturation distinction in a situation where you have a 90 year old human and an 18 year old elf. Technically a 18 year old elf isn't mentally different from an 18 year old human, and so culturally from the human perspective this relationship is valid. But under Elven cultural standards and the new cultural maturation rule seemingly no elven RPer could rp romance/child-reearing unless they are at least 50. So which standard would predominate? 

Lastly, from a policy wise what is the age of consent now for elves? Seemingly at first it was 18, but then with the new cultural update it became 50 as it is the cultural age of maturation. Now it's 18 again? Or does the cultural standard still apply?

Edited by Booklight12

Good changes. I hope folks understand in time that these changes are important to protecting minors online and not giving sick f***s an avenue to get their jollies off with child characters. Good work, staff.

GUYS THEY JUST SAID TWINS ARENT POSSIBLE!! U CAN STILL HAVE A BATCH OF 3+ CHILDREN AT ONCE WITHOUT DYING!!!!11!!