TO FILL ELHEIAL'THILLN - THE DEBATE OF 67

Gemini

js9hjA-K3fza4sR7FYu42CO4EXDYzGOncV7Runn2k6_hKSRikxL6TDJXtkEzgLOxj-t6t_Gdal2IQQVu2Vd5nygEhp_BOluqukaPIcRQqLqm4HIgp1KBIrj4VuajZlNYvItUTp9g

MYWKZpn3CGMrZrTcqtkKM5D-9YxDp6gQVJRl0DagCDfjI4c9HH4LK-P7EMDMu60kVxv8T6aKPkW2uB_Z3hJoR5_L1uFVTTQVDdbbHsJuOzAUgwGHK-Ng4z0Upv4DXTbXY0IZY8va

Courthouse

{Art by M-Wojtala}

To debate, tradition and silver

An Announcement to the Silver State of Haelun’or

As Issued from the office of the Maheral

3rd of The First Seed, Year 67 of the Second Age

If there were to be a choice, I would say remove power from the council. Do not let them have any more. It is simply too dangerous, and a repeat of what occurred under that Sohaer may lead to our race's utter extermination. We all know there are barbarians who would be glad to see it done. 

- Malaurir Lucion Sullas

BLESSED CITIZENRY OF THE SILVER STATE OF HAELUN’OR,

Our blessed bastion is as strong as it weakest link, thus progress must always be safeguarded. As we have many times before, the time has come to choose which citizens we wish to be responsible for directing the future of our people. The labors they face will be great, and they will not prevail without a true will to further Maehr'sae Hiylun'ehya. 

All those that have nominated themselves for the seats of Okariran shall debate, show the citizens why they are worthy of such a seat. These debates may include topics relating to the duties of a certain Okarir to the current political climate of Haelun’or to Maehr’sae Hiylun’ehya. 

Good luck Mali’thill, may the odds be ever in your favor. 

The vacant position alongside their respected candidates are as follows:

Okarir’maehr

Leithedir An'asul & Elarhil Sullas & Tiuthwyn Visaj

Okarir’san

A’eollaja Ello’janna-Valwynn & Arasdir Miravaris

Okarir’nor

Pamphilos Hyptos & April Valwynn

Okarir’hiylun

Kolvar Trafina-Valwynn & Rune of Ahad

Signed, 

Maheral Elesia Elervathar

On behalf of elHeial’thilln,

Laurir Usamea An’asul

AY'LARIHEI

AY'MAHERAL ELESIA ELERVATHAR

MAEHR’SAE HIYLUN’EHYA

MYWKZpn3CGMrZrTcqtkKM5D-9YxDp6gQVJRl0DagCDfjI4c9HH4LK-P7EMDMu60kVxv8T6aKPkW2uB_Z3hJoR5_L1uFVTTQVDdbbHsJuOzAUgwGHK-Ng4z0Upv4DXTbXY0IZY8va

PJTMekjgMfJhwB0JIMmGKcnF4Cr_tBoDHLoskepTeoXf-0yv9HeJ0f_1Tk7C01KjQtnj-0nVXVLunNP35wzE4KZ21hpMTnOe5wEI-dIMmQuNvwb3UC8D2FwfzA45IO9JagV-rtoz

[!] As the missive was posted, the Laurir would speak the contents of the missive within the citadel, filled with Mali and lessers alike. Candidates seemed to be busy with going through their notes, socializing among the citizens. 

“First, we begin the debate between the Okarir’maehr candidates. I advise the citizens to remain quiet and send all question to me on a paper via the courier that stands by the entrance.” Usamea would speak, inviting the candidates to the dais. 

Spoiler

Please do not comment unless you are a candidate. If you have any questions to the candidates, please direct them to me aka the moderator of this debate (send me a discord PM with all the questions or a message on the forums!) It's just to keep things simple, organized, and so forth. 

To keep things simple, each candidate gets one opening statement, one question (two if more than two candidates), and one rebuttal (two rebuttals if more than two candidates), answering questions from the citizens has no limit.  Question from the citizens have to be directed to all candidates so candidate-specific questions will not be allowed. 

Also, I will comment on this post when we move from one okarir seat to another so do not comment before I declare the debate open for the specific okarir seat you have nominated yourself for!

Lastly, this debate is happening in the citadel of Haelun'or meaning it can be considered metagaming if you comment on this on a character who would not have a reason to be in the citadel. I will also request moderation to hide all comments that break the IRP rules of this debate (aka commenting unless you're a candidate).

Leithedir An'asul would make his way to the dais in the Silver Citadel first out of the Okarir'maehr candidates, where he would look out amongst the gathered mali'thill populace that arrived for the debate. Those looking back at him at his scarred face would hopefully be put to ease when he would offer a warm smile to them in reply. Inside, he knows this is a real chance at bringing change to not only the elHeial'thilln, which has had vacated seats for too long, and the Silver State, of which all Mali'thill reside, but also to bring change to one of the places it matters most, the Eternal Library- one of the most important institutions for Mali in all of Almaris. He would rest his arms by his side, as he awaited for the rest of the Okarir'maehr candidates to come to the dais.

Elarhil Sullas took to the dais following Leithedir An'asul. The clacking of boot heels against the marble floor resonated throughout the Citadel, and it was clear the young elf was confident in his stride, poised with an upright posture and lifted chin. Facing the assemblage of Mali'aheral he smiled warmly and gave a single nod, signalling his keenness, for the long-awaited debates were about to begin.

Finally, Tiuthwyn stepped onto the stage - garbed in the whites and reds of elcihi, and a pale blue cloak to match the color language of their culture. The expression of that child of silver was devoid of her usual cheerfulness, replaced by a cool gaze between the pair already on the dais, then out towards the debate moderator. She stepped into position on the stage, then gave Usamea a nod.

“I welcome you candidates, Haelun’or sees you and recognises you all as eligible candidates for the position of Okarir’maehr. I would like to invite you to start with your opening statements, each candidate having their turn. You may begin in the order you arrived to the dais.” Usamea, the moderator of the debate spoke, a cup of Starbox coffee presented before her. The elfess would sip the delicious caramel macchiato as she began to take notes.

Leithedir would peer out at the masses, looking at the Mali of varying ages and varying experiences. He would clear his throat before speaking, "We are Mali of logic and reason, of the arcane and the sciences, of the known and the unknown. Larihei pioneered our endeavors into these vast terrtories, and it is for that we are different from our cousins. With this.. destiny.. that we've been put on the path on, it is important that while we as Mali'thill are equals, we require those who will rise above and do their part for Maehr’sae Hiylun'ehya." he pauses for a moment, licking his exposed, cracked lips.

"There is a fierce urgency in the Silver State.. for our knowledge in the Eternal Library to be maintained.. and for our youth to learn of our past and the ways of the world, so that we may progress further. It is with this urgency that we on this dais are here to do our duty as Mali'thill to serve our home. For us, not only is this an opportunity for our future, but it is a service to Maehr’sae Hiylun'ehya and all Mali'thill who follow it. With that, it is I, Leithedir An'asul, who hopes to take the mantle of Okarir'maehr." he would conclude his opening statement at that, rubbing the edged point of his right ear as he awaited the opening statements of the others on the dais.

“Ahern ito nae’leh Leithedir,” Elarhil’s head pivoted from the prior speaker to the people. “For those of you who are familiar with me, ayla nae osulier. For those of you otherwise, I excitedly greet you on this momentous day in history, where before you will rise many fine and willing Mali’aheral - a display of spirit, wit and dedication to the State,” His hands intertwined in front of him.

“My name is Elarhil Sullas. It is one I wear proudly for the Sullas tallonii’s great contributions through time. Today I offer you further,” Pausing, Elarhil surveyed the audience, then with a twinkle resumed. “The Okarir’maehr is charged with upholding a significant part of the Maehr’sae Hiylun’ehya. The knowledge that helps us advance. The Eternal Library - our beautiful bastion - shall flourish once again, with no queries being put on the shelf any longer, no dust settling over our knowledge. I hope it is I who can create this future,” He proclaimed, taking a small step back after the statement was concluded. 

"Ahernan," Tiuthwyn echoed, a slight step taken forward as she faced the crowd. "Karin'ayla, mal'onn, larionn'ehya Larihei'leh. I am Tiuthwyn, of elTalonnii Visaj - but many of you may better know me as Tiuthwyn Harriel, for when I first returned to elcihi I did not wish to rely upon my blood to gain rank and recognition. For a Valah decade I served as the Okarir'maehr - every book on its shelf was placed there first by me, its directory organized, the list of Maheralan first updated again. I can speak with confidence when I boast that I was the most successful Okarir'maehr since Illyara Valarieth, if only in that the library was expanded and refined in my tenure rather than left vacant and still." She paused, offering finally a thin smile to the crowd. "I have always sought progress - maehr'sae - and pushed those around me to pursue their interests to the benefit of the State, and enabled those that sought it to find the knowledge they needed. My record before my resignation was spotless - and I would not seek this position again without being ready to keep it spotless." The white-clad elf dipped her head to the crowd, then, and stepped back into her original position.

”Ahern Ito nae’leh candidates, your speeches were all Impeccable” The moderator stated, looking around as the ever so interested crowd followed the debate from the gallery “I would now like to invite you all to ask questions from one another, each candidate is given one question and one rebuttal. Please ask the questions from both candidates on your turn. Mr An’asul, you may go first, then Sullas and Visaj. Rebuttals may be given once everyone has asked their inquiries.” Usamea elected, the girlboss sipping her Starbox™️ caramel macchiato. 

Leithedir would look over to his fellow candidates. He did not agree with the idea of candidates asking questions to their 'opponents' in an attempt to slander them with a rebuttal given that they were all equals serving a common purpose, when compared to the Valah who will slander for political gain. Thus, he would ask innocuous questions:

The An'asul would focus on Elarhil Sullas first, the youngest of the candidates, before beginning to speak, "Elarhil, I was quite impressed by the restoration of elUhieran. It certainly shows leadership capabilities and I applaud you for that. However, my possible concern lies in whether your age or leadership of the elUhieran may overwhelm you or make you less effective for the position of Okarir'maehr. Do you think that your age may affect how effective you would be in the position of Okarir'maehr where you will be handling knowledge, some from before your own lifetime? Further, do you believe that leading elUhieran may cause you to have less time for the position of Okarir'maehr, and if so how would you accomodate for that?" he would leave an airy pause before turning to the Visaj.

Out of all the candidates, he was most mind-boggled for a good question to ask Tiuthwyn, but he would try his best regardless, "Tiuthwyn, you are very likely the best Mali for the position. However, I must ask. You served as Okarir'maehr for quite a long time, but you decided to resign, what was the reasoning for why you resigned?" he'd hum to himself. Thankfully, his lips were not as cracked anymore so he didn't feel the need to lick them again.

Elarhil Sullas bowed his head in acknowledgement of Leithedir’s inquiries and asked his next, “I will ask you both the same questions, and they are simple ones that I’m sure you have prepared. What is it you will you introduce to Haelun’or that you feel is lacking, in the name of progress, and how do you intend you implement such? For instance - my own was seeing as I did how Mali’aheral youth were not given much support from the Haelun’orian government, myself finding mentoring almost exclusively in individuals when I first returned years ago, I took initiative reviving Eluhieran. I aim to see it successful as an extension of the Eternal Library. Is there something you personally feel is most strongly demanded within Elcihi’thilln?”

"To each of you, I too ask the same question; what is your resume in regards to actually teaching maehr'sae hiylun'ehya or spreading progress? Not," she paused, glancing to Elarhil, "In terms of affairs enacted within the year, but in terms of your long-term histories - we all know how oft plans fall through or are abandoned half-finished in elcihi. I have heard winding ideas and tertiary attachments, but would like to know what qualifies you for a position on the Council itself, ne as a Tilruir."

Tiuthwyn looked between the two, then, and answered - Leithedir first.

"I resigned, simply, because there were a few relatively capable subordinates at the time that I believed could handle the Eternal Library without me, and I wished to pursue research opportunities abroad, without the...ah, not just burden, but the responsibilities, that came with staying a member of the council. After all, I would ne wish to undertake a project I could not uphold to the best of my ability."

Another pause, and then to Elarhil - likely wishing to complete both questions at once to move the pace along;

"And on your point, my first objective would be to establish a research post in the unclaimed beach we yet own, to the south of the voidal tear. There, we could learn how to prevent such a disaster from occurring again. I would also seek to improve our teachings on purity and maehr'sae hiylun'ehya through lessons in elcihi and in the field, perhaps even abroad - as my youthful colleague here has so graciously pointed out, the oem'ii are not always properly taught our values, nor our reasons and commitments. As we have seen, this has led to disastrous diplomatic incidents abroad where a better-educated generation may have erred on the side of cordiality."

"For those of you that have read my recently published guide in the Eternal Library, or those that have allowed me to engage you in discussion, you might have a more clear understanding of what I espouse whenever I am able."

The An'asul would ponder Elarhil's question for a moment, it was a predicted question but did not expect it to come so soon, "We, as Mali'thill, pride ourselves on our abundance of knowledge and our collected pieces of written works; whether it be Valah poetry, ancient history, guides, and so forth. There is so much more that we have not yet uncovered and stored in the Eternal Library because we have not been proactive enough in recent times to seek it out. It is important that this is corrected, or else we may see a gap of history missing from the Eternal Library that could have otherwise been learnt from for future generations. Expeditions and learning from foreign scholars are two examples of the many ways that we could be proactively seeking out knowledge. I also believe that returning to our roots in our scholarly ways is what is most demanded in elCihi'thilln.. after all.. isn't that part of the reason why we are here, lliran?" he'd end his answer for Elarhil's question with a brief joke before moving onto the Tiuthwyn's question.

He would look to the Visaj before looking out to the audience, "In terms of teaching and spreading maehr'sae hiylun'ehya, I have admittedly not done as much as I would have hoped. However, it is something that I intend to work on and correct. I plan on publishing a collection of essays on topics that I feel are most important at the time, last year I published an essay about 'thill'iyat'.. that was quite well-received by Mali in elCihi'thilln and abroad.. even in the Ebonwood Principatus where their 'saneyir' Minuvas Melphaestus wrote me a letter about it. For an Okarir'maehr, I think that it is important for a scholar who has an aptitude and is passionate towards collecting, organising, and writing about scholarly topics to hold the position - and I believe in that way, it makes me qualified.. not as qualified as you perhaps, but still.. qualified." the scar on his cheek would contort as he smiled.

Elarhil disjoined his hands, extending one out to the An'asul firstly, "Leithedir, I appreciate that balancing workload between Okarir’maehr and Eluhieran Leader is valid concern, it is something I have taken into consideration myself. This is why Eluhieran has multiple figureheads. I am not the sole leader, between myself and others the responsibility of Eluhieran can be fulfilled. I do not think my age is an unyielding blockade - more like a closed gate - an obstacle to be overcame. Our current Maheral Elesia Elervathar, blessed be, entered her role at a young age much near to mine. Her haelun, Maheral Iaria Elervathar, was the youngest in history. They are testimony that age does not define capability. My age is opportunity," He allowed the words to linger. "As for time, there is no shortage of it, for we are Mali. The most eternal and enduring of beings. All of us would be handling knowledge older and of course newer," His gaze flickered over to the side of the onlookers nearest Leithedir, then as the Sullas swivelled to Tiuthwyn, it looked to her side of the seating briefly also.

"Tiuthwyn, my contributions to the state besides Eluhieran extend through Elsillumiran, serving in The Magelight Inn, sharing works from the Eternal Library through public readings and visiting other places to enlighten even lessers, have been recognised by Elmaheral herself. I see that you want to be provided trust in my loyalty and devotion to the state from this knowledge. Remember that current action is very important - my readiness is paramount. Unfortunately, I do not see that Leithedir’s history outshines mine. Yours is commendable, Tiuthwyn, but what have you done as of late? I have foot in both. See that a new face brings new life to the library," He drew in a shallow breath. A small smile spread over his visage as he wrapped up, "I do agree that a research post set up beside the voidal taint is a marayla idea. I would be happy to post one there."

“And so it is concluded. The citizens at this time have not delivered any questions to me so we may move forward! Okarir’maehr candidates, you may take a seat by the back of the dais” Usamea would state as she browsed for a clear page on her notebook “I would like to invite the Okarir’san candidates to the front! A’eollaja Ello’janna-Valwynn and Arasdir Miravaris! You are both seen and recognised as eligible candidates for the position of Okarir’san. I would like you both begin with your opening statements, A’eollaja may go first” The moderator fell silent as the candidates walked to the front, gazing at the duo as they went. 

Spoiler

And at this time we’re hitting a little pause due to time zones and the human body’s requirements for sleep. We’ll continue in the morning once everyone wakes up!