TO FILL ELHEIAL'THILLN - THE DEBATE OF 67

Gemini

The icy elfess strode her way towards the podium, a large, flowing dress of vibrant silks and fine designs of silver embroidered to her clothing. a deep red of the color of state, in combination of her pale marble skin. She stood proud at the podium, disciplined posture, and her same, placid gaze that showed a defined lack of fear, concern, and worry as she addressed the masses in suit. "To the great mali of my country, my peers, my neighbors, my family and friends, lend me your ears. I am A'eollaja elTalonni Ello'janna-nor-Valwynn, or simple A'eollaja Valwynn. To the people whom know less of me, I am a deeply concerned scholar, who has long dedicated over a hundred valah years to the pure pursuit of knowledge, to the recognition, understanding, and befriending of our neighbors and distant partners. Many can attest to my dedication of this pursuit of teaching within the eternal college to give the youth and elders alike the knowledge I have gathered over a century. For the past few decades now, I have returned home with concern, and a deep patriotism to help rekindle Haelun'or's establishment with is neighbors and foreign trade partners. I believe I, armed with the deep understanding of the foreign world, and connections I have made across decades am most suited for the venerated position of Okarir'san." She spoke, lithe fingers clasped to the edges of her podium as she spoke once more. "I have made very promising measures to the nation and its people, and unlike most trade-politicians, I /can/ guarantee my claims within five valah-years. I have dedicated much of my life to the people of the Mali world and the pursuit of knowledge. I have nearly laid down my life for the councilor Okarir'mali for the security of this nation, and would be willing to trade my eternal immortality for the security and peace of our nation for our children's children, to secure a world of foreign policy that will see a thriving, prosperous Haelun'or, eternal." With such a bold proclamation of her intentions to the state, she clasped her hands together beneath her deep, red robes.

The young high elf elegantly promenaded from his seat to the dias, his verdant gaze scrutinizing the crowd yet his countenance bearing a stalwart, amicable smile. Once he would reach the podium, the elf fiddled with  and readjusted the golden aiguillletes which adorned his militaristic coat, making certain they were presentable and only halting once his opponent began her speech, clasping his hands together at the small of his back and listening intently and with patience, his brows furrowing and his head recoiling ever so slightly in response to her more bold points.

"Sirame ito kae'leh, nae oroment." He'd offer in a solemn manner, one hand lifted over to his chest and his head inclining in a slight bow to A'eollaja, his attention thereafter turned towards the crowd, his smile ever-present. "An introduction, I deem, is in order for me too, albeit few in Elcihi'thilln have not learnt my name. I am Arasdir Miravaris." He would offer, a second bow of his head ensuing, although now directed at the crowd. "Although the works of Malaurir Lucion Sullas have a place in my heart and although I like to carry at times a copy of Fi'haelun's tale by Malaurir Visaj, I am not bold enough to claim the title of scholar. Ne." He'd pause, shifting his weight from boot to boot as he allowed a brief shroud of silence to befall the Silver Citadel. "I met once an amicable musin - one who tried to sell me an animii, claiming tomes and libraries can only hold so much knowledge and are so pervious to flame and decay. Of course, non-sense for the most part, though, inadvertedly, this rodent creature offered insight unlike any other: It is us, mali, whose perpetuity makes us books with endless chapters. Even a valah's short-lived story has its value." Arasdir oncemore paused, a bright smile radiating from his lips and a gloved hand rising so as to readjust his circlet. "I am no bookworm, ne, but if peoples were tomes, I have indulged in no small part in reading. A testament to my claims is my already vast number of aquintances inside the cihi, but the walls of the Blessed Bastion have proved no impediment whatsoever: from boldly and, perhaps stupidly socializing with the citizens of Elvenesse of recent, to befriending the Father Circle's druii. Even in the Orenian Empire, I have had the pleasure of meeting friendly faces. The Blessed Office of Elokarir'san is no door. It is not a necessity. Any mali'thill can wearily step outside our ivory gates and spread the good word of our teachings in pursuit of our betterment. I have, for so long as my Talonnii allowed, done just that. This position would merely offer me a chance to coordinate with and to better represent Elheial'thilln's own interests."

With that, the high elf ended his speech, signaling such through a bow of his head and wide smile, grateful to those who listened!

“Once again we witness competent candidates, a shame only one may take upon themselves the mantle of elOkarir’san.” The Laurir cleared her throat before she began to speak “As with the precious candidates, you may now ask questions from one another however you may respond before you ask your question. Mr Miravaris may go first and Ms Valwynn after that. I would also like to invite the citizens to forward me any questions they might have to the blessed candidates.” Usamea looked around to the gallery, gazing upon the citizens to see whether anyone would be intrigued to wish for more insight. 

The Miravaris rocked back and forth on his heels a single time, resting his hands on the lectern infront of him. He turned his head so as to adress A'eollaja, a polite smile ever plastered to his lips.

"Miss Valwynn - you speak fondly of scholarly endeavours more befit of Elokarir'maher's Office. I ask that you pre-emptively forgive my possible ignorance and rudeness, though while no doubt lingers that you may be an accomplished scholar, your lack of renown within Elcihi does arise a question mark regarding your claims of vast connections and great contributions." He'd offer an apologetic smile, dismissing his own monologue with a wave of his hand. "Tillune - I digress. My question would be : Why the office of Elokarir'san, when you are more qualified for that of 'maehr? Did the seeming lack of opponents seem more enticing?"

The elfess patiently and quietly listened to both his statement, and question, her silver masked face kept sealed as her icy gaze fell upon her opponent, but no less was kept firm of her opposition and ever minute thing and statement made by him. "To rebuttal, your claim of lacking renown is ill founded. I have indeed studied, read, written, and labored over the tomes of not only the eternal college, but across the entirety of libraries across the continent much of our own addressing the city, our history, culture, and the previous diplomatic ventures and gathers, as so recorded by the office of the Mahers of the past. While you may not consider yourself a bookworm and actively promote to doubt books it seems, I see it as essential to understanding the diplomatic failures of the past to progress forwards. Such examples being the failure at Oshima clan. I do not understand your connotations as to not have someone academically bright and diplomatically suave to discuss diplomacy with our neighbors, being not so a bookworm as you claimed, if 'friendship' and wit is enough to drag us out of the mess some have made." She spoke, turning her head towards her opponent directly, her lithe, pale fingers raising upwards as she proposed. "For you, I have few questions. Your statement has shown me personally what you are and what you offer. You promise nothing to the people of Elcihi, no plans, no promises, no desires to do anything of worth with your office beyond what you do now. You show me with such an argument, that you actively only 'want' the status, rather than the pledge. You actively claim that since you're doing 'your work so well' already, that you're on this podium with no good reason besides 'I want it', not only showing me your character but disrespect of what this office is about. You have no resume of diplomatic action, no plans for the future, and no goals for our nation. You simply believe because you're 'friendly' enough, you deserve the badge. Diplomacy is more complicated than 'making friends'." She monologed on, all while her one, singular hand gestured in the air as she spoke. "So then, If I must ask you a single question, if not none it is this--since you think you do not 'need' this office to do 'your work'', then explain to me simply--Do you intend to lead this nation's foreign affairs on your wit alone?"

Edited by Havsbris_

The elf drummed his gloved fingers idly on the lectern, grimancing and furrowing his brows with distaste as he listened. Only when A'eollaja was done would he clear his throat, readopting his amicable smile as best he could, his hands returning themselves to his back.

"I had come into our Blessed Citadel expecting much more tact and sportmanship from an opponent." He'd admit, peering about the crowd in near disbelief, drawing in a heavy breath. "You have shamelessly twisted my words to bear no semblance of what I said, Miss A'eollaja - I specifically stated that out of the long and senseless speech of the musin, I was able to find some wisdom in what he said regarding an immortal's being ability to store knowledge and experiences. To claim such discredits books is a rather impressive feat of mental acrobatics, especially when I specifically stated that not to be the case." The high elf paused, bobbing his head from side to side. "I never quite did say a mind polished by scholarly endeavours is unfit for the office of Elokarir'san, nor that knowing the history of Mali'thill Diplomacy is obsolete, despite your rather anecdotal example. Therein lays a quite blatant and ungraceful strawman fallacy, ill-move which could be overlooked, had it been the only one of its kind. Personal incredulity is a second, quite clearly - as, ti, I've found that amongst many things, presenting a foreigner with amicability can indeed do wonders, though such will not apply to the more savage and bizzarre, where wit is indeed a weapon to be employed in improvising and earning their trust and friendship."

The elf only shot a brief glance to the moderator, as the elfess fails to follow the rules of the debate, though brings no attention to such and merely continues his rebuttle. "To quoque, I believe is what elvalahan use to refer to answering criticism by ignoring it and rather turning it on the accuser in a rather unsavoury manner. My promises were made rather clear in my nomination - yet hypocrisy is employed here in order to attack one's person rather than one's arguments. While I have made clear what my on-going pursuits are in the realm of diplomacy, your words are empty and merely keep mentioning the same 'will do a good job because I have many aquintances'." The elf shook his head, rather baffled all in all by the barrage of attempted fallacies, his smile down-turning ever so slightly and his brows furrowing. "You put rather distasteful words in my mouth which are a polar opposite of what I say, in an attempt to throw onto me the things you are guilty of, fail to answer the question given to you as the rules demand and break the rules once more by asking several questions in return, none of which quite a testament to your good-will. I specifically spoke of the Okarir'san office not being a necessity in any sense of the word for a mali'thill to represent their Motherland abroad and stated that I have already been engaging in this, though with this position one could far better represent our interests than a mere citizen ever could. You however, clearly demand this position before doing any work, which is... rather ironic considering your outrageous accusations and the fact you applied for it merely because it was open, despite it not being fit for your talents."

The elf paused, taking a few moments to ponder her last question, his verdant gaze scanning through those present in the Silver Citadel.

"I intend to employ an arsenal of things, Miss Valwynn - out of which a cordial approach is in the vanguard. Had my wit alone been able to carry this Blessed State forward, I would, though I am not that gifted. I intend to offer to the Office of Elokarir'san the same dedication I've offered to Haelun'or thus far, stepping onto the geo-political scene armed with the same proactivity, amicability and starry-eyes which I approached Elcihi'thiln with."

“Oh Larihei what a spectacle! This is truly the nature of us Mali’thill, forever partaking in seasonal depre… debate, I mean debate!The elven female stood up from her seat, awkwardly correcting herself before speaking  “And as such it shall continue, I have received a question from our beloved Mr Evo’lur Tartarus and it reads

Both candidates here show no formal resume or prior diplomatic skill, as i'm sure lady Usamea knows it is a difficult task having a short term themselves. How would both candidates offer diplomatic security to not have further war raged on the people of this city? I myself, as with my daughter don't have much insurance on either canditate. I do understand as lady Usamea addressed a discussion has happened with Ebonwood, evident in the embassy which shows improvement of relations that they've been able to aqcuire with the aid of the Okarir'mali aiding in diplomatic assurance. That brings the second question on how would you differ from this tactic or will you follow in lady Usamea’s lead

— “Oh now, rather kind words “ Usamea would pause as she read the paper —  in offering mali'thil to bridge relations to nations?’ “ She would continue her speech, taking a small sip of whatever beverage was presented before her by the sponsors of this debate “Ms Valwynn if you may!” The Laurir would tell

"Because your approach to demean me as 'lacking renown' was not out of favor and against civilly hrm?" She commented solely on his actions and complaints towards her tone, all of which retained its quality of placid, docile calmness that defined the elfess' personality, before she resumed her retort as matter of factly towards the crowd. "Not only has my opponent shown a degree lack of self-composure as to spend most of his time lamenting on how he feels personally, he has decided to instead dig himself into a hole of misclaims, and self-conflicting half truths, that often define his character. This--sort of weakness has bred for weak diplomats who run at the first sign of conflict and therein seek praise from the people about their moral superiority. They pretend to be above this, yet were the catalyst to such." She dusted off her shoulder, both hands moving to grip the podium, as to directly speak to the crowd headfirst and front. "I have, for one, actively pushed out progressive politics in my resume. I have aided the Okarir'mali in her deliberations in ebonwood, which has bared fruit in its labors towards out nation, and similarly so gained the aid and support through the work of other nations." She proceeded to turn to her opponent once more. "You may present my cases as tact and twisting, but they did come from your lips, ne? Not even two rebuttals prior. I simply expanded your already made statements for the matter of letting our most blessed citizens understand your own tact and stick-built arguments." She labored further as to discuss, "I do not bring accusations, but merely the own words that came from your mouth. If you so as feel threatened by your own words coming back as to warn you, then how do you intend to be the face of foreign affairs? Your resume is empty, you've brought ne victories to our shores, and claim victory over simple claims any of us could make as simple as 'I talk with many people'. We can continue this squabble for days on end as you so seem to argue your points into oblivion to wherein they hold no strength but the sticks they're built on, but I'll be the first to address the questions of the sumana Evo'lur." She turned towards him, as to listening careful to his questions and laden points. "To respond to your first notion, my resume as you spoke, is ne formal, physical, nor record based. While its easy for me to make promises of plans and ideas, I can guarantee this nation with results. The acts in ebonwood with the Okarir'mali, I claim assistance towards. While small, its only a taste what results I actively prove I guarantee. I can promise this nation within under five valah years, I will be able to secure peace of our time. A bold claim, but unlike my opponent I have results across the continent. As per your secondary question--I intend fully to see, advise, and grow our relationships personally across nations, but maintain my post in Haelun'or as well. I intend a mixture, of both the tactics of showing our neighbors the trust, and care to send myself to their arms and understanding the threats of such possibilities; and towards the strategy of working closely with the Okarir'tir towards pursuing the nations intentions of expansion or kindness with less friendly neighbors through protective agents of Haelun'or to make such statements of intent."

"Untasteful, manic-induced inane babble. Each and every argument you bring is laced with weak venom, you respond to every bit of criticism by ignoring it and instead attempting to accuse me of that which you are guilty of. You appeal to ad hominem repeatedly and make barrage upon barrage of baseless claims, hoping to overwhelm me with so much non-sense to address. You break every single rule the moderator has set into place to keep this civil and diminish this blessed tradition to something more akin to infantile valah squabbling on a playground." The elf offered a heavy sigh, allowing his eyes to fall shut for a moment as he drew in a heavy breath. "Your words, much like your promises, are empty and made to look appealing. You make accusations which mean absolutely nothing and fight armies upon armies of strawman arguments of your own making, keeping them vague enough to seem witty to an untrained eye. Ne, these fictional words did not come from my own mouth, they came from your own, as I am certain you are aware, or too delusional to be. You lack renown which you claim to bear, that is not a deameaning statement, but a fact of the matter - the blessed citizenry, in no small part, has no idea who you are, despite these claims of a wide web of acquaintances. Similarly, your accompishments are something you contradict yourself on, as you both claim to lack any and, in the same monologue make reference to a single vague instance where, for all we know, you perhaps held Elokarir'mali's luggage for her - boasting that as if you are one constantly bringing victories to our shores." 

The elf shook his head, an appalled look overtaking his countenance as he readjusted his silver headpiece, turning his attention to the moderator, now ready to adress Evo'lur's question. "I intend to continue the pursuits which Elokarir'mali so impeccably performed in the lack of an Okarir'san, working towards the possibility of more embassies, restoring a form of Elemyumiran so as to tend to them and serve Elcihi'thilln's interests outside of our borders. A matter in the forefront of needing to be addressed is the Voidal Taint, in regards to which I have already made progress in bettering our relations with the druii - after that, other mali settlements come, as I've already begun to pursue. Though this shall depend on the will of Elheial'thilln. The tactic employed shall be no different from the one I preach - mere cordiality and eloquence, offers which may suit their needs, mutually beneficial trade, an embassy - if they so please. To pretend diplomacy is not an art of improvisation and to make it seem as if every foreign state or cihi can be approached in the same manner is ignorant - ehya, in regards to the war, guised as a curious traveller,  I risked my life visiting both Elvenesse and Fenn in the past, hoping to take weary, slow steps towards peace."

“And as such, the debate between elOkarir’san candidates shall be declared ended! I offer you my gratitude for the very entertaining debate, candidates! You may go take a seat by the end of the dais” The An’asul babbled what she could, her mouth filled with popcorn that was mushy from all the tea she was drinking. A truly horrendous thing to witness “I would like to invite our next candidates for the position of Okarir’nor! Welcome Mr Pamphilos Hyptos and Ms April Viradi…ah pardon, Ms April Valwynn! You may begin with your opening statements and as always, ladies come first as Larihei intended! Ms April Valwynn the floor is yours!

A mali'thill with rather short stature, yet overwhelming confidence therein made her way to the podium. While the 'thill's blonde tresses were styled in a neat waved curls, she donned an overwhelmingly plain getup; light blue fabric waving as she walked, clasped together by simple golden designs. Despite this, the candidate, the Valwynn, the Viradiraar, held up confident stride and a cheery expression. She turned quickly with precision, like soldier at salute. Grey eyes scanned the masses, before the young 'aheral spoke. "To the great citizenry, the mali'thill of Haelun'or - my talonnii, my neighbors, my lliran, my kin, I am April Valwynn - Viradiraar. To those who are in aid of more introduction, I am a mali'thill who has resided within the state for many decades now, and have spent a great amount of my adult life serving the state." A proud expression would cast upon the girl's features as she noted this. "From scholar of the stars and skies, to tilruir'mali for three okarir's, to sillumir, to head doctor, to a simple citizen and back again, I have done it all - I have been there for Haelun'or, and now I strive to be there for you, the citizenry of Haelun'or, as your Okarir'nor. Before a sillumir, before my past positions as tilruir'mali, I am a scholar - a scholar with an eye for everything, especially mathematics. Mathematics and science - someone that has the nerve to do the Okarir'nor's main work before its additional duties - it is me, who has said eye, and is willing to work hard for our good nation and uphold Larihei's ideas" she concluded her opening statements, offering a nod to those present, stance simple.

Striding before the Podium, the beautiful Mali'thill, tall, tan, and blonde a sharp contrast against the opponent of this debate. He wore a pure white chiton and a light blue himation wrapped around his form and held in his left hand which he held at an idle crook. A bronze leafed laurel on his head marks his position already amongst the state. He smiled brightly, a joyful expression that he shares freely with the audience! 

"Dearest Mali'thill, the beautiful denizens of our most storied and blessed Motherland, our most beloved Citizenry; and all of those histories still represented. It is for you I stand here, and face such valiant adversary! It is for you I strike forth to deliver vast victories and for you I offer plainly the spoils of most blessed bounty! It is for you I represent our city-state, great Haelun'or well. For those who have not spent time out in the air amongst the city, I am Pamphilos of the Hyptos. 

He yet smiled the sun's smile. The tanned Mali stood on the debate floor addressing the most beautiful of audiences, those Haelun'oric peoples. 

"We are blessed people. I do come forth today before you all to offer examples as to this in my statements and wish for my debate to carry forth the feeling and intent. We are granted multiple infinitude of blessing and opportunity from the land, sea, and health. From these conceptions and realities I wish to extol a few of my own virtues and aspects, and like my opponent, and every Mali'thill with a silver soul, I am multifaceted!

I am a learned 'Thill. One who has spent much time not just engaged with the lessons offered by the tomes of our most venerated ancient establishments, but the lessons of life and being! True is it that I am a philosopher. A 'thill studied in the many lessons of Larihei, but I am also a sailor, a warrior, a poet, and a practiced and shrewd friend of those beyond our cihi, gaining much privilege for her even in other lands and people's. 

I offer my perspectives so others may partake of them. To progress with our blessings, to seek to refine them and accomplish great perfections, and to take more blessings, more privileges. This is a right of every Mali'thill. Through such base lessons of our silver philosophies, I have lead Mali of all walks of life to pursue our most basic lesson to it's fullness of meaning and intent.

Health and progress! Ay'Larihei! Ay'Haelun'or Ay' our silver Citystate!" 

With that, his practice of oration and speaking is flexed. He lets the moderator take it from there. 

Edited by SteppeNomad

”As always the candidates are ever so competent! It is within my pleasure to now invite the citizens to forward me any questions! Next the candidates will ask a question from one another and then rebut. Mr Hyptos may go first this time.” Usamea the moderator took the lead, explaining how the debate shall move onwards.

"Ahernan!" Spoke the Hyptos. A bright elf with a twinkle in his eye! Turning to face his opponent, he speaks to her in a tone audible throughout the chamber 

"We all have heard of your accreditations in the field of scholarly study, math, and the studies of our astrological bodies who have much of an effect on our own life in El'cihi'thillin, and I commend you in your written works, yet these things seem to be your focus in your nomination for this position! In your nomination you spoke much of 'regular taxation' yet is this field not already governed by our most generous master of coin? You tell of the scarcity of our blessed silvered soils, and of the creation of subregions and lands beyond our isle." The Hyptos gesticulates as he speaks, accentuating his words for all to see! "Tell to us your vision of our gracious Motherland's future, where your five year plan lands us!"

A mellow expression was casted upon the Valwynn's features as her opponent spoke, pale hands gently clasped together at the front. "Within El'Heila'Thillin" started she as soon as the Hyptos concluded "There are several different positions that pertain to different subtopics that Haelun'or runs upon. It is my most personal opinion that el'Okarir'akaln should strictly stick to the finance and economy of our nation, and our el'Okarir'nor to the taxation and stewarding duties, for while these positions are intertwined, they are still within separate realms - pinning taxation all on our Okarir'akaln simply isn't fair to her." A pause, before she pressed "Why, what did you think you would be doing otherwise as Okarir'nor?" 

A shrewd sounding cough emitted from the girl's lips, before she quickly came to cover it up with her elbow. "scuse me. We've a large island, and while our silver city is beautiful and prosperous, I believe we as mali'thill have a right and a duty to use all of what we are given - after we take it back from the void, that is. Mr. Hyptos, within your campaign, you say much of the beautification of the island and the city - if ne taxes and stewarding, what else would you do as Okarir'nor? Similarly, can you back up any of your prior accomplishments as Tilruir'mali or as a scholar?"