[Player Event] Riddles amidst Rumors

Xx_BloodStalk_xX

This event is no longer open, but the post will stay here in case someone would like to go back and read it. 

[!]
One might've seen a slithering shadow against the moon's light, or perhaps a hard breeze against a calm morning. Nonetheless, rumors had begun to spread across Almaris, to those willing to listen in.

━━━━━━━━┛ 回 ┗━━━━━━━━

A Short Introduction to Jizo, a Japanese Bodhisattva - Kokoro Media

"Karin'ayla," An elf brings up her quiver, practicing archery with the rest of her kin. "Did you hear? There are rumors going around that people are making some pilgrimage." After hitting a target dead-center, their brother offers her a glance. "A pilgrimage? Of what sorts, llir?" They asked, nocking an arrow upon their bowstring.
Sparks illuminated the boiling forge as the dwarf slammed his hammer against glowing iron, looking to his apprentice who held it in place with worn tongs. "T'ey say t'ey be goin' t'a a forest full o' t'ese statues an' gates an' t'like, see?" The barrel of oil nearby soon exhausted a plume of scorching steam as a newly forged blade found its place within. "Enlighten'en-ment. Seems like an' ol' scam t'me, hmph!"
"Enlightenment?" A man placed his mug onto the table, leaning in closer as he heard his fellow gatekeeper speak of these strange rumors. "Aye." The gatekeeper nodded. "I heard that it was treasure you win! If you're chosen by the spirits, they'll come to you during the night and sneak it underneath your curtains, aye? That's why there were so many men riding off to that Yong Ping place yesterday."
"Riddlez, hrm?" The orc released a bout of laughter before ripping his tusks into the drumstick he held. "Me nub need riddlez tu win power. Be fer weak lil' twiggiez. Hrm.. but what be teez riddlez?" He said this quietly, spitting out bits of charred meat. 

(Leave your discord within your message so I can contact you if you are chosen for the event) 

Write a forum post responding to this roleplaying your character making their journey to one of the statues within a forest nearby Yong Ping and offering your answers to the following riddles, whether it be written on slabs, leaves or parchment. If you like magic, this is the event for you. No OOC hints will be given, so if you message me I won't be responding. Do your best to answer the riddles, even if you don't think you can, good luck! 

It seems that the original riddles have been malformed in their travels, now just sounding like lines of gibberish.

You see the rainbow bridge after it rains cats and dogs. How much sugar do you need to survive the winter?
 Your neighbor is working on his farm. It caught him off guard, that space that smelled of seared steak. Why did he bleed?
 It took me too long to realize that the ceiling hadn't been painted to look like the sky. The clouds offered the cool scent of mint. What do they whisper?
 Cotton is often used in a noble's clothes, but they forget to close the door. Memory, memory, memory. What's green and slid through?
 On the morrow come the four horsemen, forlorn and depressed, they each bring barrels stained with a rose petal's hue. Why did they arrive at dawn?

Elimar wakes up in a cold sweat, recalling talking rhinos and bright lights. Surely a dream, he thought.

One to silently listen to the rumors behind layers of cloth and wool, the woman traversed the hills. She seemed to recognize the place as spoken of in rumors, within the cities, thick and thin with people residing. 

A sharp pair of shears rested at her hip, the large form of the mali tumbled down through old ruins, dodging cracking or broken stones. Finally then, rusting goggles gleaming faintly with darkened lenses coming to face what she had only glanced over many a time.

For the first statue's riddle, was pinned with a hefty stone on a piece of parchment, as were all of them.

"As much sugar as it takes for a treat every day. It is hard work to cross the bridge and survive winter."

For the second, she sat a time. Thinking, and idly scribing within some different journal, for some other journey unrelated.

"He bled because the farmer had most likely mistakenly injured himself while working on his butchering tools. Cleaning old blades that have been doused in blood always smells like seared steak."

Third, the woman turned to look at the sky herself; finding some humor in this section of riddle. Maybe the sky was different than she'd always thought. Or not. Who would ever really know?

"The clouds whisper for the death of mushrooms. After all, mint is not kind to them. It chokes them to death, leaving a fresh scent in the air. Then again, if it were not painted to look like the sky, who could really know?"

Fourth, the woman did take a piece of cotton from her ear, always used as some makeshift earplug. She scoffed, then, with not a mina to her name to justify having the material. Maybe the person she'd received them from was rich?

"A snake. Most often pictured as green, and sneaky, within children's storybooks. A snake can disguise itself as someone unwelcome, a spy, sneaking into a noble's home unannounced. The strike of a snake upon a noble's life would certainly leave an unpleasant memory."

For last and yet not least, the fifth riddle she stared upon. It felt like some butchered story she once read, long passed. She wouldn't ever remember it, anyway, though squinted at some of the wording with poor eyes through thick bottlecap lenses.

"The poor four horsemen had to leave early, for they set off yesterday if it was 'morrow'. They were probably not happy to leave so early with heavy barrels on their backs. They arrived at dawn, because it took them a day to get there. Morning to morning, dawn to dawn. There was also wine in the barrels, colored of roses. They were likely not allowed to drink the wine. How sad."

Content with her answers, however butchered they may be, she'd smear a bit of a raspberry candy's powder in the shape of an 'A' upon the bottom of each note, for her own recognition of them. And then the woman set off. Distantly, the clatter of crashing wood and stone sounded as she fell through the floor of some ruins. (bloom#3047)

A figure of enigma, a concocter of puzzles who stalked the world made his way to view the source of these rumours. Clicking and fiddling with a strange device in his hands he developed code after code, twitching as they formed in his mind. 

He thought not to reply, for it was not his place - merely spectating the craftsmanship and dedication on these here riddles, and noting the cleverness of their unknowable maker.

" There's a mind. "

An elf in his late 50s wakes up and rolls out of bed, he looks at the notes on his walls before climbing down the ladder. Getting dressed and tying up his long fluffy hair he’d grabbed his bag as he headed out the door. Waving to those on the stresses of Yong ping. Picking up a notebook and charcoal pencil from his flower shop in the square. He also picked up his walking stick to help him on this trip. The once feral elf would head out the gates and to the forest, only to see if the rumors were true.

ghnxrLVrq0AUWaKLWZUQ9nn1kYIct3XEgLFrIqqbxUcuwAvdvLnn4cXiyg8ZLtySaQ6jODli1quqzn-P5B7kVtvWE-3hRvVOAZ-m90pmH_q81f0cEanDl4ECQD2BfnBIlfhWI9N4

Having walked almost the full day as night started to set, he found what he was looking for, He smiled to the statue “I’ve been out here for a while” he said with a small chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck “Mind if I take a seat?” he waited for a little bit before taking a seat next to it, hoping it didn’t mind him being there.  Kin then opened his book and start to write down what he thought were the answers. 

vyrCWp0_8TggwDXArmf0C4aYtYblxR5Aw2BGExvltcYzGzYBBWb-xNBSA_K7vY_a4ED4zYdGZsZULW13Pzqcg-rZvLDKwxjxjHn1ksLGkQbWkbzEqrpFd9R-xYHgxlb2zTqn2RVw

A1) “You'll see rainbows sometimes after a really bad storm, or folks will say it’s something you’ll cross after you die. You don’t need sugar to survive, You need warmth in the winter” he wrote down careful not to smudge the charcoal 

A2) “Lighting caught him off guard, it’s the smell of burning cattle as the barn caught fire. He could have had his flesh burnt trying to save them and it made his skin blister and bleed. Might not even be his blood but the cows” he wrote down thinking of the time he saw lightning strike causing a fire to happen. His ears twitched as he reached into his bag pulling out a lantern so he could see, lighting it with a match. 

A3) “The roof had fallen down around him. Sometimes burning wood will smell a bit minty like pine. Whisper of fire spread?” he looked around to see the forest taking in a deep breath letting it out. A smile on his face, he felt at peace. 

A4) “Coin maybe? Seeing as the nobles have to buy the clothes? You’ll have to buy more coal for a fire if you leave the door open. Could also be deals for coins made out in the open or slid under the door?” He scratched his head at that one, knowing if it was right or not. Least he was trying to go off the rumors

A5) “Saddened by the end of days, They each have a barrel of wine and drank themselves silly throughout the night. Only to come back home at dawn with a hangover.”  After hours of raking his brain he ripped out the notebook pages and left them at the statue. Giving a small bow after picking up the used match stick he placed it back in his bag. Picking up the lantern he used it to guide his way back to the road. Making his way to Yong ping for a warm meal and rest. 

Wr_pe6NRsmYwrwK14FKvo7hgCr32DXKlt99KuR9S9NENDB5JPIGBRR7FGC6wvr1DIbmomHJvPtyaI-_4e9jz3ZuD6nYhbYbOUC4LjcVaj5B37zsdNp_0XQVXmDx7ZkOzK9KgBKAC

Spoiler

My discord is Anime_Wolf#0080 (Discord picked the numbers and I just made it my brand) 

I made the borders

Link used for the picture are here 

Forst

Step by step, in armor clad. The elf makes his way through the forest. With each crack of a stick underneath the metal boots, he looks around. Bright the moon shines upon the elf his journey. Mumbling a few soft words as he searches the woods.

"By the Creator... did I really travel this far for nothing?"

His brows furrow up, unable to locate any of the riddles. Letting a long defeated sigh escape as he sits himself upon a nearby rock. Hand lifted up to his chin, resting his head. So he falls in thought, the night passing into day. And as the sun creeps over the hills, a beam of light lands upon the statue far away. A laugh escapes from the elf, along with a shake of his head. Amused and relieved as his travel did have a reason after all. It was then he took out a book. Going by each statue and riddle on the bright sunny day. Writting them all down before sitting upon that lonely rock again. Starting to solve it one by one.

"Rainbow bridge... cats and dogs. How much sugar do you need to survive the winter? Is this even a riddle..."

After what felt likes years of thinking, the elf writes down underneath the first riddle his answer. "It is not sugar one needs to survive the winter, it is the warmth of fire. One will not survive the cold on sugar alone."

So he carries on to the next. Debating for a moment but for a much shorter time. Writting his answer with a sigh. "The flames caught him off guard. The smell of seared steak was but his cows in the flames. But it was not he who bleeds, or the cows, it was his heart that bled. Bled from the pain of losing all his cows."

So he carries on to the third question. Humming lightly, starting to find amusement in the riddles themself and the journey there. "He had not realised it was the the roof that had collapsed and it was the sky he saw. The whisper of the cloud was the wind, blowing into the building with the collapsed roof."

Slowly he nods a few times writting down his answers. Looking over each again, satisfied with what it turned into. It was then he wrote down the next riddle along with the answer under it. "The green snake crawls into the house of the nobles. But it was not a literal snake, it was a spy or a revolutionair perhaps. Seeking to shed blood upon the noble cotton, painting it red."

Gazing over the lands from his rock, the forlorn lands moving with the wind. A sigh escapes, finally writting down the last riddle and hopefully, the answer. "The horsemen traveled far out to the tavern, returning in the morning after a night of drinking. Carrying barrels of wine."

And so, the young scholar makes his way from the rock to the statue. Tucking the notebook underneath one of the rocks. Out of the elements of the world, it remaining there unharmed until one might find it. 

Spoiler

Suprisingly fun to brainstorm about. Really enjoyable post.

NLThomas#4337

A wood elf stared, intrigued by the lines of what seemed to be nothing but gibberish, her fingers traced them gently - each word and each sentence with a Cheshire widened grin upon her face. Her lips coiled back, withdrawing her own parchment in tow. As she wrote out quite vaguely the answers she thought them to be, all the while a childlike laughter escaped her. "Ay, Sugar for winter? depends on the recipe! A farmer caught off guard? lad probably fell asleep at the butcher table and made himself bleed. In my experience, a cloud doesn't whisper, it sings proudly in the wind - they are not the quiet type. Nobles are far to blind sighted by their garbs, they prolly didn't notice that the cotton they had brought in probably had a snake held within, unaware of the poor fella - it probably slithered in looking for shelter. Ay, four horsemen all carrying barrels of what I can only assume to be wine? Well they left at morrow and arrived at dawn - probably had a few drinks along the way, lazy buggers." 

Satisfied with her cheekish remarks, Edjo placed the parchment back where the riddles lie for the owner to find it upon their return. A snort and a chuckle escaped her for she knew it'd be more fun to be coy than to be serious.

Spoiler

UnderratedGoblin#7932 (100% i adore this concept so much even if im bad at them)

A Masked 'Fenn would ride into the forests of Yong Ping, dismounting his horse as he lets out a deep exhale. He would withdraw some papers from his pack before tying up the horse by a nearby tree and setting up camp - He expected to be here for a few days. Upon discovering the messages the Seer would get to work, writing out each of the sentences hundreds of times, rearranging them in countless forms completely disfiguring the already jumbled riddles.

He would draw his hands over his tired eyes, groaning as nothing seems to line up. Again and again each route tried to solve the riddles until the 'Fenn comes to the simple conclusion - There is no right answer.

He visits the first statue and would leave his own note alongside the others "As much as the sun provides" he would write on the note. Then making his way towards the second statue, taking his time at this statue the 'Fenn would think some extra moments before finally putting pen to paper "It was his time". Varan decided to take a break after this note was written.

After the small rest he came upon the third, his brows furrowing as each made less sense then the last. He would shake his head, less confident in this answer though eventually he would write "Whatever is carried upon the winds". He was quick with the fourth, scribbling down "Snake" before quickly moving on to the final statue, not wanting to think about the previous. "Their job was done" he would leave the final note before slamming his book shut - simply wanting to get away from the area and finally set his mind to something that wouldn't drive him insane.

He would mount his horse and be on his way back to his homely cave in the Vale.

Spoiler

Callum#9575 I hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal i hate u cal

He heard.  He listened.  He'd heed... but never would he overstep a boundary.  Not on the boundaries of a stranger, at least, and never to eavesdrop more than he could hear from a brisk walk by.  Though—that was all he needed.

The man finding a moment amongst the morning, kept at his pace atop his horse, letting the cool winds peddle him forward as he strode towards where he'd yet to explore.  To himself, he was no one.  Not anyone of importance, nor someone having been long in the field of adventure... but this was one adventure he'd take—for himself—just like all the times before.

One striding underneath the canopy of leaves, scattered in kisses of sun-lit warmth—the calmness of morning embracing his mind as he did.  And he'd never lie about it—about the love he felt underneath every days' morning.

Though, it was about time Tonu found himself here— amongst the boundaries of a rumored statue he'd sought.

"Alright, boy."  The man slid off his horse, briskly giving them a gentle, brushing, pet.  Letting them loose to do whatever they'd like, albeit, met with a thump.

Onu, the rather spunky horse of his, settling atop the cool morning dew of the grass's.

The young man giving a plyful huff, situating their backpack and bow, but now faced towards the statue a few feet away.  
"Now..."  He gave a sigh, calming himself.  "Apologies for coming unannounced— but I'll be respectful of this space!"  The farfolk moved closer, all-the-while reaching into his pack.  The man's hand holding onto a bamboo box.  "I promise I will."  He added to his statement, placing the box at the foot of the statue.

Of course he'd be the one talking to the air—  the thought was his and his alone.  Though, the man falling back from the structure— his hand nearing his head, and giving a small dip of a bow.  The young man giving himself a moment, letting himself settle before approaching the engraved text.  Reading it.

"Gods—"  Tonu took a couple steps back again.  "—I'm not much of a riddle person, unfortunately."  He gave a humored huff, a laugh, but awkward.  It was awkward.  It always is.  Heh.

The man standing there for a moment, letting his body lean as he looked the text over and over—the kisses of light warming his shortened hair, his pigmented skin in turn; all-the-while he remained idle in front of the statue.  Thinking.  Well— for a bit, anyways.

Tonu grasping his journal and a cleaned and reinforced feather, dipping it in the watered pigment of crushed petals before etching the riddles into it.  Thus, falling back to his horse in time.  "Excuse me, bub—"  He sat against his horses back, crossing his legs as he got comfortable— and all to the horror of his horse; giving annoyed neighs and grunts before just having to deal with the man's playful jests.

And now... he'd take a moment to think.  Reflecting.

"You see the Rainbow Bridge after it rains cats and dogs.  How much sugar do you need for the winter?"

The man's thought extended longer and longer, trying to piece together whatever he could... but alas—  "Why sugar???"  He slouched further down against Onu's back, giving a huff.  The man staring into his journal more, wretched in though before rubbing his nape.  "Maybe...  Ugh..."  He sighed, thinking longer.  Just thinking.  Thinking...  Taking a moment longer— letting himself go.  He wouldn't need to be too harsh on himself— at least— just not too harsh when it comes to thinking.  The man puffed up his cheeks, giving a rejuvenating slap to his face as he settled into attention.  "Alright!"  He heaved himself back up, straightening his posture before relaxing back against his horse again.  The man's stylist at the ready.  Though, turning his attention to the statue in his view.  "I'll try this—"  He straightened up.  "—but I don't want any punishments for getting these wrong— alright!"  The man's star deepened on the statue, but alas— committing his thoughts to paper.

[!] Tonu's answer to the first riddle/ [!]
"Not a lot—"  He started with, quill moving atop the paper after a moment. " —enough for me to be happy and content, at least.  For sugar is nice, pricey at times, but even less than a fourth of a pound would work for me."  He scribbled off, scratching his head as he read it over again and again.  He finished, making sure it was legible, but giving a relaxed breath afterwards.

That had been... nice, actually.

He smiled.  The man's hand etching another response beneath the second riddle he copied down, dropping his smile as he began in thought again.

"Your neighbor is working on his farm.  It caught him off guard, that space that smelled of seared steak.  Why did he bleed?"

[!] Tonu's answer to the second riddle. [!]

"My, the, neighbor began to bleed because he was in a panicking animal's attempt to escape."  He paused, committing himself to another moment of thought before continuing.  "—The animal, panicked from being near the flames—flames that caused the seared steak scent—was then caused to flee and thus injured the neighbor that way."  The man winced— unsure, somehow content though, but moving on.

Tonu taking another moment, reading the third riddle to himself... then leaning more into his horse's back.  Again, the man would think—his head faced upwards to the canopy of leaves.  The breeze around continuously dancing around him, keeping its flow as it moved amongst the leaves.  Settling once more.  The winds calm, then again, their dance began.  The man giving a huff, heaving back up into a proper posture before shaking off any mental exhaustion.  He embraced the breeze, liking its flow and feeling as it danced through his hair and graced his skin.  He began to write.

"It took me too long to realize that the ceiling hadn't been painted to look like the sky.  The clouds offered the cool scent of mint.  What do they whisper?"

[!] Tonu's answer to the third riddle. [!]
"The clouds whisper playful things.  The clouds' scent of mint a trait of their nature, playful, chaotic, and creative."  He wrote.  "—Mischievous, at times, too."  The man smiled.  Content with the answer.

"Cotton is often used in a noble's clothes, but they forget to close the door.  Memory, memory, memory.  What's green and slid through?"

[!] Tonu's answer to the fourth riddle.  [!]
The man came to shiver as he seemed to think of an answer.
"A grasshopper slid through."  Tonu shivered again, only giving a brief pause in his writing before beginning once more.  "The grasshopper creating many memories of chaos with the noble, as that noble tries their best to rid themselves of the creature.  Terrorized, or annoyed, by it."

"Ewww—"  The farfolk shivered all over his body again.  Though, giving himself a moment to cleanse his thoughts of the answer.  Thus, moving to the next riddle.

"On the morrow come the four horsemen, forlorn and depressed, they each bring barrels stained with a red petals hue.  Why did they arrive at dawn?"

[!] Tonu's answer to the fifth riddle.  [!]

"The four horsemen arrived at dawn because they were finishing off their job beforehand."  Tonu gave an audible sound— unsure of what he's writing.  "The horsemen feeling down with the job they'd been given, but finishing it before dawn—thus arriving at dawn after they did."  The man huffed, still unsure, but rising from his seated position; his horse giving a rather pleased grunt as he did.

Tonu giving a sigh, shaking as he came to rip the papers out from his... precious... journal.
  The young man going to read each answer to the statue, proof-reading them all-the-while.

The man giving a nod, signing each page in the corner.  

"—Tonu."  —as it was written.

The man picking up his offering of a bamboo box of food, placing the pages below it with the box just acting as a weight to keep them there.  Tonu giving another sigh, a smile, and then a bow.

"Apologies for coming unannounced— again."  He rose back up with a small smile, heading off to his horse again... and soon— the two went backwards on the tracks they had trekked.  The man giving a wave as he left, a playful jest, but one he felt like doing nonetheless.

Tonu, satisifed, beginning back for his home.  Yong Ping.

The man giving Onu a well deserved snack and brushing as they went along.  "Thanks, bud."

Spoiler

my discord's "Kudos_Metro#5563"!  If anythings weird— sorry!  This is gonna be my first post on the forums besides my whitelist one— but I thought I might as well just start here!  ( Hope whoever reads this enjoys because I surely loved writing it! :D )

0P1PpzP0bWCHfVgSVZ-I9mv084AICNcQdUwAEVMVUAvaiZIArYzzT3A42vZAchQvOCvWyn3Gq2teBJC_-eEIyfRpMdgzqAwvp8LcBfn_eS4J_5wACwW5sD8XM6hSDaDFfP0kt050

━━━━┛ 回 ┗━━━━━

Through the lands of the North, a woman carried on through cantankerous frost and snow, overcoming treacherous paths and lanes - each and every one of them worse than the other. Yet her childish determination peeved the stone beneath and before she could reap some awareness, the lands of the forsaken East - Yong Ping - were bordered on. 

Statues landed within the woman’s eye, a beady and teetering pupil which sought to oversee the esplanade further ahead; one of many, yet last to the rest. 

Her ears twitched and so certainly was her presence stuck with many riddles. 

In the bounds of her grasp were then forced crumbling friezes of stone, agglomerated in a prominence of pebbles.

Each riddle present became embodied in stone, their responses crudely carved on the said. 

You see the rainbow bridge after it rains cats and dogs. How much sugar do you need to survive the winter?

As much needed in order to muffle the harsher environment, with hallucinations and sweet, sweet candy.

Your neighbor is working on his farm. It caught him off guard, that space that smelled of seared steak. Why did he bleed?

Because he is a sloppy butcher. At the time of slaughtering part of his animals, the machete in both his hands failed to deliver a final strike, and the animal remitted back out of anguish and fear. 

It took me too long to realize that the ceiling hadn't been painted to look like the sky. The clouds offered the cool scent of mint. What do they whisper?

The sky is painted, it cannot whisper anything beyond culminations of falsehood.

Cotton is often used in a noble's clothes, but they forget to close the door. Memory, memory, memory. What's green and slid through?

Their greed, or nasal goo.

On the morrow come the four horsemen, forlorn and depressed, they each bring barrels stained with a rose petal's hue. Why did they arrive at dawn?

They arrived at dawn because they were expected to, after a planned robbery at plain midnight in which a tavern was ransack by the four horsemen. Yet it didn’t go as planned and instead a carnage was involved. Men but these four died, and they took upon one barrel each as compensation for the failed strategy.

Spoiler

you have my discord 💅 idk why the column thing is pushed to the left nor can i figure out how to fix it.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:22 PM, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

This event is no longer open, but the post will stay here in case someone would like to go back and read it. Those who were chosen will be added to a group DM.

Spoiler

hope the event went well