All you need to know in Elven

_mady07

A Basic Guide To The Ancient Elven Language

Re-organized and condensed to 

What’s commonly used in roleplay!

3Tf6oB02jx7frkOMfBbN0WtCBIApw_bJ3kehgfxN4Dpq_obXkPbeZs7KsT3cZVcpoTyerEnV_D2jUK6f22wWkdD6Pf799Qpa69eldlA7Y4gFv3q30BPRZrkO5g9dRgzqd_WjDR8W

Credits go to - @_mady07(compiler and elven screeching lady) as well as @Diogen (formatting, brain power and moral support)

As well as all the linked post’s at the bottom for more detailed elven understanding.

Fancy Intro!

Explanation:

Spoiler

To start us off, The elven language is rather complex and with the current forum guide and wiki format can be a bit difficult to keep up with, so this simply is an easier to read version. 

PSA: This doesn't include a lot of the smaller meanings and such, its purpose is to help with some slang and understanding how to use things IRPly, Also to give an easier understanding for new players. I mean let's be honest when’s the last time we’ve seen elves talking in full on ancient elven other than to brag they can 

(I'm fully guilty of this o.o)

cu4hE89zKJaycih6qzhscTSFz8tBnOUoHvK-MWWjjYx0y1pQmUM3OuAKx-Heg9Sz6pLXjWF2248UJrD_HhOoJ2c8F6Fl0Duey3rOL50nyHeWj9v_E501Lf6W9giPNBGs2o5AmqEX

Greetings and Goodbyes

Karin’ayla: Hello, Good day (Formally used during the day time when the sun is out.)

Ker’ayla: Good night, Good evening, (Formally used during the night time or sun’s setting)

Van’ayla: Goodbye (Formally used to leave the roleplay or situation)

Misc. Greeting and Goodbyes

Hiylu'evar: Traditional greeting. Doubles as a blessing with the assumption that the receiver has been kept healthy in body and spirit.

Hileia: Peace be with you

Explanation:

Spoiler

Commonly you will only see these two used in greeting however from time to time you’ll hear these other ones. 

Races and species

Elves: 

Mali: Elf, or Elven.

Mali’ame: Wood Elf - Short version of this simply is - ‘ame

Mali’ker: Dark Elf - Short version - ‘Ker

Mali’aheral: High Elf - Short version - ‘aheral, or Mali’thill, or ‘thill

Mali’fenn: Snow Elf - Short version - ‘Fenn 

Explanation:

Spoiler

(Mali’fenn and Mali’aheral can be interchangeable due to the very close relation with the snow, and high elves. However due to cultural appropriation they are distantly different)

The rest:

Bortu: Dwarves and their subraces all fall under the Bortu category

Uruk: Orcs and most things under their species list this includes Ologs and such

Mali’uruk: The half breed elven orc race, however little there is left.

Tali’bortu: Halflings, no matter their subculture and race.

Valah: Humans, in general, they’re referred to as Valah.

Adunians: The adunian race is usually kept pretty simple however on occasion you’ll hear mali’valah which is a translation of elf human.

Elven Family Terms

Most commonly used:

Haelun: Mother, this term is a more commonly taught and used one

Maln: Father, this term is a more commonly taught and used one

Mar’haelun: Grand Mother, this term is a more commonly taught and used one

Mar’maln: Grand Father this term is a more commonly taught and used one

Lari’onn: Sister, this term is a more commonly taught and used one

Less commonly used:

Mal’onn: Brother, this term is not as often used however this could depend on the family

Marlari’onn: Aunt, or Auntie, this term is not as often used however this could depend on the family

Marmal’onn: Uncle, this term is not as often used however this could depend on the family

Malii’malonn: Nephew, this term is rarely used 

Malii’larionn: Niece, this term is rarely used 

Mal’maronn: Cousin (Male) this term is rarely used 

Lari’maronn: Cousin (Female) this term is rarely used 

Malii’lari: Daughter, this term is rarely used 

Malii’mal: Son, this term is rarely used 

Explanation:

Spoiler

Often times familial names depend on how strict the family or players in the family tend to be, Though typically elven families use a mix between Common and Elven

Typical Words

Commonly known:

Ti: Yes

Ne: No

Ahernan: Thank you

Llun: Sorry

Oem: One (Most other numbers are not used.)

Ayla: Good

Llir: Friend, Alternatively - Lliran: Friends

Drui: Druid

Mayilu: My love (Often used in a romantical way)

Mayilun: Beloved 

Suika: Sugar (Used commonly in a wholesome manor as a pet name)

Less commonly known:

Nae: You

Malin: The King of all elves

Thill: Pure

Lae: He

Lari: Her

Credit to: @Air For the following ones Kae and Heya

Kae: I, me, my (depending on the context of the way its used ex: kae llir, being translated to my friend)

Heya: What

Words that should be used because they’re VERY cute

Sew: SOUP! (literally! It's SOUP!)

Marn: cave (Say it, you’ll sound like a gremlin)

Igne: fire (Like, who isn't a little bit of an arsonist?)

Beloun: Pig (Just like you. I'm kidding!)

Laurier: A more elven pronunciation of Prince (Differentiates Humanity from the elven princedom’s)

cu4hE89zKJaycih6qzhscTSFz8tBnOUoHvK-MWWjjYx0y1pQmUM3OuAKx-Heg9Sz6pLXjWF2248UJrD_HhOoJ2c8F6Fl0Duey3rOL50nyHeWj9v_E501Lf6W9giPNBGs2o5AmqEX

Link’s to the other elven language post’s

Spoiler

So, these posts are all more intermediate lessons of the elven language and explain in detail very well the language, however they can be a bit confusing depending on how hardcore you take your persona into the elven culture. However, this post should be more than enough for the average LotC elf. 

LotC Wiki page for Ancient Elven

LotC full and frequently updated language

List of Elven sentences also used:

should add kae and heya under less common

ive seen them used and have used then myself a few times

Kae: I, me, my (depending on the context of the way its used ex: kae llir, being translated to my friend)

other than that i think this is great for new players/elves that dont want to sit through hours of learning a new language in order to communicate with other elves

41 minutes ago, Air said:

Oh for sure! Added it in and credited you, Tysm!!

1 hour ago, _mady07 said:

Mali’fenn: Snow Elf - Slang version - ‘Fenn 

thank you.

I love this guide, thank you @Diogen for writing this.

Jokes aside really well done mady, that’s gonna be one useful guide for newbies

9 hours ago, _mady07 said:

Mali’aheral: High Elf - Slang version - ‘aheral, or Mali’thill, or ‘thill

Mali’fenn: Snow Elf - Slang version - ‘Fenn 

Explanation:

Hide contents

(Mali’fenn and Mali’aheral are often interchangeable due to the very close relation with the snow, and high elves.)

Mali'aheral and Mali'fenn are not interchangeable terms. They're two seperate distinct groups, and I'm sure snow elves would rather be addressed as Mali'fenn or Fennic Elves than to be roped in with Mali'aheral or Mali'thill. Also, Mali'thill isn't slang, 'thill would be slang, but Mali'thill is a word.

Tl;dr st dumb

Terms like 'fenn, 'thill, 'ker, etc. are used even in official documents. They're shorthands, not slang. 

It should be "mayilun" for beloved, you add the -n to create a noun. Otherwise looks good.

11 hours ago, _mady07 said:

Acient

Ancient* 

2 hours ago, Elennanore said:

Mali'aheral and Mali'fenn are not interchangeable terms. They're two seperate distinct groups, and I'm sure snow elves would rather be addressed as Mali'fenn or Fennic Elves than to be roped in with Mali'aheral or Mali'thill

Ive made a few changes to my wording with that, thank you so much for the feedback!

2 hours ago, argonian said:

They're shorthands, not slang. 

Ah, I agree Shorthands is a much better wording. Ive made changes according to such

1 hour ago, Luciloo said:

"mayilun"

Ooh, Ill add it in as a second way however i've actually not seen Mayilun used, i typically only see mayilu. 

Thank you all for the feedback

26 minutes ago, ChefDeuce said:

Ancient* 

. . . . LOL Thanks chef i fixed it

23 hours ago, _mady07 said:

Ooh, Ill add it in as a second way however i've actually not seen Mayilun used, i typically only see mayilu. 

That's because people forget that the 'dictionary' is full of seed words, meaning fragments of word we have to combine with affixes(such as -n for nouns or -er for verbs) to create a full actual word.

1 hour ago, Luciloo said:

That's because people forget that the 'dictionary' is full of seed words, meaning fragments of word we have to combine with affixes(such as -n for nouns or -er for verbs) to create a full actual word.

This is very true, however I'm trying to keep the guide rather simple since it's purpose is to make understanding easier with the language compared to the elven dictionary where it's alot more difficult to tell what's really used irply

This is truly wonderful work! Its refreshing to see this, there's some words I've not ever seen used before. Though if you're adding animals to this perhaps you could add 'Chir' for wolf?