Where's the French Players?

GMRO

Well, I’m not French but you asked about people from Spain as well, so here I am! :)

Regarding your question though, I unfortunately haven’t rped all too much outside lotc, and therefore can’t tell much about Spanish speaking rp servers and communities, sorry about that.

12 minutes ago, Fionn__TWG said:

I believe it has to do with the slander they would receive for certain events that happened 80 years ago.

Ja.

Also.

@GMROYou forgot about the Austrians and Germans. I know about 20. But no swiss person.

They all got scared off by my ongoing attempt to roleplay a French accent

9 hours ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

they're all in paris...

do you know who else is in paris?

So this is an interesting question I've thought about now and then, and I believe there's multiple reasons for it. For one, it is useful to realize that the internet is very much divided between languages and the experience you may have on the Anglophone internet may be very different from your experience if you spoke, say, French. (https://labs.theguardian.com/digital-language-divide/)

This extends to minecraft servers. As a native Dutch speaker I can confirm there's plenty of Dutch-speaking servers out there that cater to the minecraft players who are less proficient in English or prefer to speak Dutch. Now the Netherlands is a country with 17 million people, and even if you include Flanders in your metric, the number of Dutch-speaking minecraft players obviously pales in comparison to the French number. This means that there's plenty of Francophone minecraft servers out there that cater specifically to the people from France, Switzerland, Wallonia, Quebec etc. etc. I don't want to advertise any other servers on Lotc's forums, but do a quick search on "serveur de jeu de rôle minecraft française" (French minecraft roleplay server) and you'll get plenty of hits.

Another important factor to combine with the availability of Francophone servers is the percentage of people that speak English (not even considering the fact that many French people who do speak English, simply refuse to.) Here's a map illustrating this factor:

Map of the percentage of people speaking English in the EU by country

As you can see, it is not only a matter of there being plenty of French minecraft servers and the French internet being quite sizeable and developed (ranking in the top 10 of languages in use on the internet by millions of users) compared to, say, Balkan languages, as you said there were a lot of Balkan people. It's also important to consider that many French people simply don't speak English that well, as for many of them there's no need to. English might be the common language or lingua franca (meaning literally french language) for much of northern Europe, explaining the high number of Dutch, Scandinavian and German LOTC'ers, but for the French... French is the common language. Same goes for Spanish people for whom Spanish is the common language and thus don't learn English.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca Includes maps of Hispanosphere, Francosphere etc, where these languages are the common language)

So, to get back to the question "Where's the French players on my Anglophone server?", you could really also turn it around and ask "Where's all the English players on my Francophone server?" 

On 4/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, Salvo said:

oh hon hon hon

italian player in the wild

banned, thankfully

On 4/5/2022 at 12:46 AM, Sykogenic said:

do you know who else is in paris?