RE: Mission Statement – World Team

squakhawk

Hey guys, its me Soul breaking my silence on the subject. I haven't been able to reply much cuz I'm on a place with a funky internet connection. But there is something I wanted to say before I go back to my internetless break. I wish to publicly thank some of the members of the team that have made it possible to keep running for as long as it did. For their hard work & long service, for believing that LoTC could become a world that felt alive, with systems that allowed players to interact with it and immerse themselves into a fantasy world like no other. I invite every player to join me in thanking the following members of the team, who’ve dedicated a lot of effort and time to try and make things better for everyone on the server.

@WestCarolina:

Before I thank you I’d like to apologize, I thought together we’d be able to get the team on its feet but I was wrong. I feel like I’ve indirectly caused you several nights of no sleep as well as several days filled with stress as well as one or two admins yelling at you for my mistakes. 

For anyone who’s been living under a rock Carol has been the main force behind the World Team for the last few months, working tirelessly to try and bring a better experience for players in LoTC. Trying to motivate the team to build epic event sites, organizing different team projects, restructuring the team, coming up with some very cool initiatives, there are several things I could add to this list but this update would end up being posted in May instead of April as it's meant to be. 

I’m grateful you were always there to stand by my side when we had to make tough decisions together. I know that wherever you are going they would be lucky to have you working by their side and I can only hope I’m fortunate enough to be there working with you.

@Hiebe:

Hiebe has dedicated over 10 years of his life to LoTC; he might've started as a young man with a passion for RP and the drive to begin one of the first dwarven clans, however since the very beginning Hiebe showed an interest in implementing systems surrounding building & the economy. At first he did this as a player however, it didn’t take long for him to get interested in wanting to do much more for the server that he loved & enjoyed. He might have started as a forum moderator and a GM in 2011 but it's no secret that Hiebe has been working as a builder & as a map designer for the team for a long time. 

His dedication to the server is always present, despite being tired and having IRL on the way Hiebe stayed in World Team for the last year to train me & teach me the ropes, pass down to me anything I’d need to become his successor as the grumbling madman obsessed with economy systems. I am genuinely grateful I got the opportunity to work under you and later by your side. Thank you for trusting me to become a manager for the World Team. You deserve a break from the server after almost 11 years of working you ass off to make it more enjoyable.

Ps. Your 120k yearly mina pension will be stored in a trust fund that baby Urguan will be able to access once he comes to claim his place as rightful ruler of the dwarves of Urguan. 

@Zindran:

Zindran spent the better part of his tenure as a manager trying to fix and standardize a lot of systems surrounding activity, settlements & lairs. His drive was amazing and he was dedicated, some of the contributions he made to the team will help LoTC for years to come. He also managed to find the easiest ways to teach me how to do stuff so that’s always a big +1 in my eyes. 

@Disheartened:

Alicia joined the team with a lot of great ideas and projects in mind, she played a crucial role in bringing a semblance of authority and independence to management from administration, allowing us to cut down wait times on processes like paste ins and map art. She demonstrated patience like no other and helped the team go through a very tough spot. We are genuinely thankful for her time as World Time Secretary and later as World Team Manager. It's a shame a lot of the projects & proposals you had didn’t get to happen, I hope with this new path staff is taking we can take back some of those initiatives.

I apologize for all the stress you might’ve had while waiting on things to happen on the team. It's something I don’t wish on anyone.

@Minth_11:

I’m sure it doesn’t surprise anyone that Minth is mentioned in this list. Over the last year Minth has worked tirelessly to become a key player of the team. His desire to learn and understand every single bit of what the team did, his energy and patience and how he made himself approachable to anyone with a question or with need of help. Minth 

@z3m0s:

While acting mainly behind the scenes, z3m0s played a crucial role in the development of many projects you see in the post above. The forever raging Australian Archmage would always be there, open to everything I had doubts on ranging from giving me feedback and pointing out anything he felt was not good for the server’s future or teaching me how to use some obscure set of commands that only someone with his experience & trajectory on the server would remember. You’d often find him playing with the systems and testing out any new proposals, being both fair & critical when time came to give his opinion. 

@BathRugMan & @Gamma:

A build machine and the perfect team. If you were fortunate enough to barge into a VC while these 2 mad builders were working together you’d find yourself listening to them argue for hours, Gamma questioning an idea only Bathrug could possibly come up with and somehow together they’d manage to pull it off. 

After some sleepless nights and a lot of hard work Bathrug and Gamma have provided some epic builds, event sites, assets to the server. Trusted members of the team capable of pulling off what many would consider impossible. 

The Economy Team (aka Greedy dwarves):

A group filled with greedy dwarven players with a passion for slapping their own bellies & driving Joel mad with suggestions only a dwarf could ever come up with & people genuinely interested in the server’s economy. I think that’s enough reason to thank the people there.

The World Team as a whole:

Thank you for all the hard work & dedication. For giving up your time, with the intention of making the server a better place. Sorry for all the pings & the amount of times we bugged you about following proper procedure. We hope whatever comes next for you is good. Sorry for not being able to do more for the team.

Final words

Finally, thanks to all the players who were patient and didn't blindly hated on us despite having to wait for some of their requests to get handled.

So...... Athera sized map next map right? Right?! Right....? Please.....

@SquakHawk I wanted to get involved in this world development process in some capacity, how would I go about it? Down to buildslave here. Down to write tedious lore about streams and hills that no one ever reads. LoTC map design and worldbuilding have been my white whale for years, it's something that consistently drives me insane, and it would be a treat to participate in the creative process

On 4/10/2022 at 7:45 PM, Zarsies said:

Amen.

RIP, the team was arbitrarily made by Telanir in the age of consolidation and compartmentalizing and I hope we've learned from it.

Lol, you're not going to believe this. I was the first critic of WT idea when it first came to be…after two years turns out I was right. I only ever wanted four teams, less tape is better.

edit: i'm curious is that a common opinion that I heralded WT? honestly taken aback…

24 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Lol, you're not going to believe this. I was the first critic of WT idea when it first came to be…after two years turns out I was right. I only ever wanted four teams, less tape is better.

edit: i'm curious is that a common opinion that I heralded WT? honestly taken aback…

Remove my staff blacklist.

Finish blobiverse for android.

How are you today?

3 hours ago, Telanir said:

I am certainly surprised and glad to hear it. To my understanding yes, everything around staff mergers (can't remember the name of it but when lore, event, magic, etc. became ST, media team was nuked and eventually shuffled into application team and wiki team folks for CT, forum mods and game mods became one, etc., building duties became its own team and quickly layered on new duties) is labeled as your creation. This post reminded me of @Xarkly's long, long feedback thread(s) from ~4 years ago about the subject which for the most part I stand by today. 

The existence of WT gave us Grool and Junar which led to the floundering and wasting of this map which could have been avoided completely by having our usual aforementioned A team of invested folks. It also speaks volumes to the situation it put us in when - I say this 'professionally' and with heart because he's a dear friend - Heero was the best option for admin. Didn't pan out great. I'm glad we're streamlining but also hope we can see more general admins with longevity. 

22 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

@SquakHawk I wanted to get involved in this world development process in some capacity, how would I go about it? Down to buildslave here. Down to write tedious lore about streams and hills that no one ever reads. LoTC map design and worldbuilding have been my white whale for years, it's something that consistently drives me insane, and it would be a treat to participate in the creative process

Story Builder would be most likely to be involved but its a process which involves a lot of work and trust, even coming onto the project. Just letting you know to be ready to put in that merit. Feel free to apply whenever you'd like if you're interested however.

World Team will be missed. Thank you to everyone who served alongside me and other World Admins/Managers/Members. 

I have not been involved since Heero took over but World Team put a ton of work into Story Team, Mod Team, and Community Team projects and as you can tell from comments here, got no thanks or recognition. LoTC does not deserve the effort of so many volunteers with how quick people are to cheer the dissolution of what functioned at a high level previously. 

Normally when a team is not accomplishing goals it is not the volunteers fault... it is the leaders. It was clear new projects and ideas were left to rot and this is the result. Lower staff getting blamed and cut loose instead of any soul searching by the those who made it that way. 

Quick note on map dev, other teams were included in that. The main discord channels was a coalition of members from Story, Tech, and Mod Teams in addition to World Team. 

Current iteration of World Team was only created because of inactive Tech focused Admins and to steady the ship when Techzodus happened. I hope this gets the solution they want but as usual it is fighting symptoms not the disease.

Again, much love to all WT members. We did not deserve your efforts.

@Hiebemuch props to you, always on our side.

18 hours ago, Zarsies said:

The existence of WT gave us Grool and Junar which led to the floundering and wasting of this map which could have been avoided completely by having our usual aforementioned A team of invested folks. It also speaks volumes to the situation it put us in when - I say this 'professionally' and with heart because he's a dear friend - Heero was the best option for admin. Didn't pan out great. I'm glad we're streamlining but also hope we can see more general admins with longevity. 

Say what you will about the implementation of the World Team but the team did not have the leadership it needed to work in any capacity, which frankly I think says more about the administration as a whole rather than the WT. An admin who was stuck in his ways to a fault, pvp goon turned admin who abused PEX for his friends (totally shocking, who could have seen that one coming /s), and an admin whos been negligent of the entire team for months. I'll admit that I was rather surprised by this move to remove the WT outright instead of trimming the dead weight months ago and trying to get a competent leader for once. 

I'll also say that the whole notion of "general admin" seems to be more of a weird way of letting incumbent admins cling to a shred of "power" and dodge responsibility for ruining their teams, rather then being something that is genuinely beneficial for the servers growth and survival. Not sure we really need general admins with longevity, or at all really. 

All I wish to see is a small map please god please, from my walls I want my neighbours to be practically in render distance. 

Small map is so much more conducive to RP - small map, and allow things like roadside taverns to pop up more easily !! As much as I understand the main focus of LotC has always tended to revolve around nation-entities, I feel that especially with a smaller, condensed map, a much more organic approach could be taken.

I feel sometimes we forget the importance of building a story and providing an enjoyable, interactive rp experience > ooc machinations and large-scale nation managements, activity counts and regions and rule red-lines and that, with everyone adapting their rp to fit these ooc clique and conflict needs rather than the other way around; I want to see people cooperating to build conflict rp, I want to see a fluid, engaging story unfold that allows each player to play their part. Not everything has to be a world war, nor does it have to be stale, dry slice-of-life rp with the same 3 people you see every day. This is not to say world wars or slice of life are bad - if done well, they are fantastic - but a little more of in-the-middle, fantasy-esque experience is really what I think this server ought to be about, and I'd imagine is the vision that the majority of new players would hold upon getting first introduced to the idea of the server before joining in.

Really hoping with the new direction mission statements this can be something we strive towards again, and I believe very wholeheartedly that a small, condensed map is absolutely key to this - forcing people to interact in actual rp on a day-to-day basis that is not just through raids or a one-off visitor breaks down that wall of ooc groups that know each other only on bad terms so much, and I genuinely feel that its something that would benefit people a great deal. 

Plus, smaller map makes it much easier for ET to create engaging and open events/event-lines !! I would love to see more ET events that naturally impact the world and are more rounded, not just combat events that tend to cater to a very specific type of player. I'm sure there are plenty of events like this that have happened that I've just not had the fortune of being privy to, but just dropping some thoughts here anyhow ! 

You guys really made heerozero admin just to kill the world team, nice job.

17 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

Story Builder would be most likely to be involved but its a process which involves a lot of work and trust, even coming onto the project. Just letting you know to be ready to put in that merit. Feel free to apply whenever you'd like if you're interested however.

cool! I'll definitely give that a go, thanks

I did the WorldPainting for Atlas 7.0 and Arcas 8.0 and while I don't play anymore it's always really cool to see what other people do with the map design and how it progresses over the playtime. I like that you guys continued with the having a map that isn't constrained to an island and rather connects the world's border as it really allows you to use more space in the world to create interesting environments. 

I wasn't really proud of Atlas but I'd like to think that Arcas was a really good map aesthetically at least. Hopefully you guys build the next map with 1.18 in mind as the new Minecraft height and depth could really add some awesome verticality where I think LOTC has always lacked.

Also I'm not sure if someone on these respective teams is doing the world painting or if you're going to pay someone to make the next map but something I always struggled with when map making is taking into account the player's render distance and the limitation that visibility brings into making compelling environments. 

It's easy to get lost when you're in creative mode looking at the world from above with a render distance of 24 and you're able to see that mountain in the distance when in reality on the server a player won't be able to see anything until they're up close and instead just see an open field in front of them and the mountain isn't even rendered in.

Anyways, good luck on the next map always cool to see what others can come up with!