[✓] [Feat + Magic Lore] Seers - Cozeners of Vaasek

Zarsies

28 minutes ago, SeekingMischief said:

Not to be rude but I liked the old lore better, made it actually easier to understand than this.

If you let us know what parts were hard to understand we can go about altering them to clarify them, I had a look through the lore before it was posted to ask questions about the lore to have it more clarified, though I think with the Guide would be an easier to clarify the interactions of the magic there rather than in the lore post. 

35 minutes ago, Venomous_Pup said:

If you let us know what parts were hard to understand we can go about altering them to clarify them, I had a look through the lore before it was posted to ask questions about the lore to have it more clarified, though I think with the Guide would be an easier to clarify the interactions of the magic there rather than in the lore post. 

im not writting a guide for this shit

To clarify, the lore is good, I am just a little confused what reason there is for rewriting it.

1 hour ago, Sri said:

To clarify, the lore is good, I am just a little confused what reason there is for rewriting it.

Read the Purpose at the bottom of the post

Oh boy more lore to read that I will never interact with

In all seriousness it's solidly written up +1

(actually no I'll edit it quickly, I don't particularly like the new range of sight for a Seer FA, 8 blocks feels a little small compared to the 20 we used to have. Dealing with 20 blocks now is still painful, 8 block sightline would feel more like punishment.)

Edited by Operator_Bugman

Changelog:

-Clarified the casting aesthetic may apply to relevant magical CA abilities.

-Clarified the height limit of charade. Added what can and cannot be used in combat as to not clutter the battlefield due to the freeform nature of the appearance and, for example, fake out spells.

-Changed reading to reveal djinn with the spectral appearance of their second or third phase or a past incarnation.

-Changed sown items to player signed and removed the creation limit. Preliminary consensus among the ST was not clear so I don't really care if it needs to be changed back. They're relatively insignificant and just make busy-work.

-Clarified the ritual of divining follows all the same red lines as scrying, including requiring OOC consent from guards or the location's PRO to divine a prisoner / guarded person.

-Changed ritual of mendacity's continent-wide illusion to require 8 total seers. At first my gut feeling was to cut it, it's a pretty crazy idea, but at the same time it requires ST manager approval meaning anything the big wigs don't like can and will be shot down as they see fit and it makes it much more difficult. Imo all magics deserve a top level, top difficulty spell/ability to make big group statements and for seer a massive illusion which has no impact on life other than possibly conveying information and riling speculation is perfect.

-Clarified that invisible hands of god cannot be used in combat and that objects cannot be made invisible until after a fight. Also clarified it can manipulate and apply force, allowing for things like freely manipulating cloth or opening/closing doors.

-Added to ritual of identity that a second guise can be unlocked after 2 additional cultivate fallacy completions, allowing for a maximum of 2 guises. Also added that guises can be of other genders and that missing limbs can't be disguised but replacement limbs/parts can be.

-Added to piercing gaze that seers may see through single layer cloth as to see hidden objects on a person as well as see through hoods or helms to see faces. I have mixed feelings about its inclusion but it was requested and supported by the seer community. It is appropriate for the theme but I am wary that it may require future amendments to iron out its application. Also no outright seeing through clothes you creeps.

-Added to cultivate fallacy that the successfully cultivated individual remains treated as sown for it and related abilities but does not count towards the seer's maximum number of sown individuals. This design is intended to reward seers for pursuing the intended fantasy of the magic: spread lies and delusion.

-Clarified that sow fallacy is unlocked at tier 3 and not tier 4.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:27 AM, Xergarok said:

Snip

The premise of the origin is that Vaasek has insight into how Iblees stole lightning, a backfacing (hidden due to relevance to events) lore topic, and here is committing a similarly severe cosmic crime by attacking another deity and stealing their domain. The rationale behind it which is a completely vague and arbitrary factor we don't have a way to measure and is probably best we don't even try to lest writers have big **** contests like we did 2011-2014 is: Vaasek is more powerful and has the wherewithal. It doesn't get deeper than that beyond OOC reasoning which is that Lyes is an obscure deity only used once and is low on the totem pole of OOC importance - in a way is bloat on the canon - and having her functionally dominated and replaced but not killed is viable in my mind. Her infrastructure still exists, dreams and whatnot all operate the same, but the whole structure is being shadow led.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:43 AM, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

Snip

Very much appreciated, a number of your points have been incorporated. Thank you! (I never take offense to critique, especially for player lore when numbers and shit are involved. I am not a fan of having to accommodate my ideas for the lowest-low of roleplayers and worry about redlining so writing this stuff is acutely stressful. I dread being responsible for enabling poor roleplay.)

On 4/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, Olandyr said:

Snip

Amended. Thank you! Oversight on my part.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, Operator_Bugman said:

Snip

I agree however my philosophy on the matter is in the preface. The seer feat is not meant to be an escape from blindness completely, it is a complication to a character and becomes a very significant part of their life, if it weren't both a boon above outright blindness but still a handicap beneath regular sight it wouldn't be as impactful as intended. I see (hah) feat seers being too casual and blasé about the condition currently, even forgetting the limit or ignoring it, and I want to reel that in to make taking seer a significant path to walk rather than the cheapest, most effortless OOC solution to an IC problem and therein a crutch to poor roleplayers. In that same vein is why I added that feat seers are the most vulnerable people to seer magic. People focus on the literal blindness too much rather than value the themes and intended story avenues of all this: indoctrination, sowing lies, delusional beliefs, cults, manipulative cabals, etc. I see this iteration of feat seer to be better aligned with that vision because it is more punishing compared to the original.

3 hours ago, Zarsies said:

I agree however my philosophy on the matter is in the preface. The seer feat is not meant to be an escape from blindness completely, it is a complication to a character and becomes a very significant part of their life, if it weren't both a boon above outright blindness but still a handicap beneath regular sight it wouldn't be as impactful as intended. I see (hah) feat seers being too casual and blasé about the condition currently, even forgetting the limit or ignoring it, and I want to reel that in to make taking seer a significant path to walk rather than the cheapest, most effortless OOC solution to an IC problem and therein a crutch to poor roleplayers. In that same vein is why I added that feat seers are the most vulnerable people to seer magic. People focus on the literal blindness too much rather than value the themes and intended story avenues of all this: indoctrination, sowing lies, delusional beliefs, cults, manipulative cabals, etc. I see this iteration of feat seer to be better aligned with that vision because it is more punishing compared to the original.

That is... actually a good argument. Yeah that makes sense in how it interacts with the rest of the lore piece.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.