[Your View] Your thoughts/hot takes on Elementalism/Shamanism. Hand em over.

SlitheryC1

28 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

Lore literally doesn't matter.

You can write a hundred thousand words of Tolkienesque prose about a magic, the inner workings of the void, the intrigues of the aengudaemons, etc., and it may never matter. There is a small, self-limiting group of people who will ever read it (in all likelihood, people who are learning the magic)

It all comes down to the person using the magic, how well they convey the impression of the magic in the moment through minecraft emotes. If the lore is good, and the people using it suck at roleplay, the lore is bad. If the lore isn't taught to people AND ROLEPLAYED it might as well not exist.

This is the folly of the Lore Auteur and Story Team Member. The constant insistence for substance over style in a medium which severely limits substance. The craving to make FromSoft-esque allusions to lore that no one cares about in the first place, because unlike in their games, LoTC conveys no atmosphere, creates no mystery to be solved.

Anyways my advice for Elementalism/Shamanism is this; Shamanism has immense potential - Minecraft is a visual medium. Have a magic about contacting an otherworldly spirit realm? Build parts of the spirit realm. Have people walk through them. Create a visual and gameplay experience that establishes the vibe. If anyone tries to stop you, ignore them. 

Studying Oakland Raiders GIF by Microsoft Surface

This is a dope take and hopefully people aren't offended and dismiss it.

5 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

Anyways my advice for Elementalism/Shamanism is this; Shamanism has immense potential - Minecraft is a visual medium. Have a magic about contacting an otherworldly spirit realm? Build parts of the spirit realm. Have people walk through them. Create a visual and gameplay experience that establishes the vibe. If anyone tries to stop you, ignore them. 

The rest is truth but we already do this, you can make just about any spirit you want pertaining to whatever niche cult idea you've got imagined up, they're purely conceptual and can have as much depth as you could possibly want. I've made/helped make four new spirits in the past couple months, it's a [Lore Accepted] deity that can progress depending how much worship you gather for it, any new faction forming can immediately create one to suit their needs or beliefs without lore team oversight.

38 minutes ago, Privet said:

The rest is truth but we already do this,

hell yeah

57 minutes ago, Privet said:

The rest is truth but we already do this, -etc

This is only literally truth. What people forget is the actual conceptual intricacies of spiritual metaphysics

LotC needs less magic type variety and not more (that is to say, purely of the variety of "classes" and not the variety of what you can actually do with each class). Condensing is good, especially as an alternative to shelving. Incorporate good elements of shelved lore into other magic types, and be more trigger happy with shelving.

I'd recommend ST resistant to embrace elementalism add the flavorful elements players enjoy to another magic that is traditionally Orcish without adding the combat potential or whatever makes it "powerful" in your eyes, since that's most of what seems to be cared about when it comes to magical decisions from ST. That way you don't have to worry about the balance concerns and magic can feel good for the people who actually roleplay on this game, rather than power stacking morons trying to craft the philosopher's stone of combat emotes.

i remember elementalism was cool, you could 1-shot golems, manipulate lava, throw homing fast fire at people, but that's about it on elementalism, not too much flavor compared to Latauman that could talk with the dead, farseer that could see the future (i dont remember if it was that, but you could go to all 3 planes as a farseer and interact with the spirits), and witch doctors could make medicines and curses, which was really cool and it was the most orcish feeling magic because it felt crude.

Elementalism never really went beyond a combat magic, it was plainly combat magic and talking with the elements, which made it flat out boring... I was an elementalist since Anthos till i stopped playing, it just felt like any evocation magic except for the fact you manipulated existing elements instead of creating them out of thin air