[Your View] Thoughts on Conjuration/Life Evocation

TreeSmoothie

Howdy, lotcers!

Myself and a handful of others have been debating on Conjuration for quite a bit, and I've found myself pretty interested in sprucing up the magic a bit, (and perhaps I've written up a hellish amount of ideas for it). 

If you've got hot takes on Conj/Life evo, toss em over 👹

My only opinion is don't give non-combat spells/enchantments ridiculas emote counts. Having to do three/four emotes to summon butterlies to be the princess you wanna be is pretty annoying to me.

I've been using conjuration for a while now and my main thing is yeah, conjuring things for Out of Combat purposes is a rather slow process and should be changed to be smaller. In addition to that, I believe that the range for Plant Conjuration should be raised because, as it stands, the area of effect is the block you're standing on and one block out from that. That is a miniscule and useless range to have - my opinion is that it should have sizes as the Animal Conjuration does.

1 Plant/Flower - 2 Emotes

1 Meter Radius - 3 Emotes

2 Meter Radius - 4 Emotes

3 Meter Radius - 5 Emotes

emote counts are WACK!!!

jing are... a good concept but it feels like it wasnt committed to or was neutered to be not OP and as a result its super lame and convoluted

bring back temporary atronachs/primordial conjuration/whatever it was called

make the plant conjuration not super lame?? plz

in summary, alex612 Ruined My Minecraft Roleplay Magic Life

Thanks for the feedback!! Definitely agree with you guys- my comment on Primordial TBD because I've heard mixed feelings on it a lot 

2 hours ago, Nug said:

emote counts are WACK!!!

jing are... a good concept but it feels like it wasnt committed to or was neutered to be not OP and as a result its super lame and convoluted

in summary, alex612 Ruined My Minecraft Roleplay Magic Life

agree with this 100%. jing artifice is the closest I've gotten to bog witch roleplay; crafting trinkets out of animal bones, sending adventurers on quests to bring me rare beast parts, etc. the idea of binding an enchantment to some awful flesh totem to create a pseudo-permanent conjuration spell that bends flesh to your will is so raw; it sucks that it has been redlined into oblivion

besides that I think the magic just doesn't lean into how weird and eldritch it is as a concept but that's up to the player; imo should be rewritten to be more open ended while fleshing disjointed/jing conjuration out more 

1 minute ago, monkeypoacher said:

agree with this 100%. jing artifice is the closest I've gotten to bog witch roleplay; crafting trinkets out of animal bones, sending adventurers on quests to bring me rare beast parts, etc. the idea of binding an enchantment to some awful flesh totem to create a pseudo-permanent conjuration spell that bends flesh to your will is so raw; it sucks that it has been redlined into oblivion

besides that I think the magic just doesn't lean into how weird and eldritch it is as a concept but that's up to the player; imo should be rewritten to be more open ended while fleshing disjointed/jing conjuration out more 

YEAH!!!!

I've been trying to do the same rp but god I didnt understand any of what jing said for a while until I put two and two together while rereading it again

Could I DM you on disc about this? 

1 minute ago, TreeSmoothie said:

YEAH!!!!

I've been trying to do the same rp but god I didnt understand any of what jing said for a while until I put two and two together while rereading it again

Could I DM you on disc about this? 

yeah absolutely it's carp#1818

It was a great concept that unfortunately was made like that because of lore games and the constant abuse from conjurationists in the past abusing tf out of redlines. It was intended to be trimmed down a lot in order to pass through lore gameS and to prevent the powergaming that was RAMPANT with the magic at the time. I feel like just a general reword and sprucing up on the non-combative side could fix it a bit with the general complaints i have heard recently

hi current lore holder

28 minutes ago, Cepheid said:

It was a great concept that unfortunately was made like that because of lore games and the constant abuse from conjurationists in the past abusing tf out of redlines. It was intended to be trimmed down a lot in order to pass through lore gameS and to prevent the powergaming that was RAMPANT with the magic at the time. I feel like just a general reword and sprucing up on the non-combative side could fix it a bit with the general complaints i have heard recently

this was a huge part of it and a big reason the magic is so conservative as a whole. as well, i was the very first voidal lore writer to put their rewrite out, and the void mechanics were rewritten twice afterwards, which is where a lot of jank about it. many of the limits were required by the lt and the lore wouldn't have been passed without it.

4 hours ago, Nug said:

primordial conjuration was removed for a similar reason and should stay gone, and i don't think there's any world where it ever gets re-added. it turned conjuration into an extension of elemental evocations, where people would just make a bat out of fire and then use it to repeatedly hit someone over and over again. free infinite use fireball. literally the first thing i was told to do when i started the rewrite was to outright and entirely removed primordial conjuration (which i would've done anyways) because it's just too much of a box of worms. personally, i think the fix to this situation is to just let you make atronachs if you have conjuration + transfiguration like in the good old days, instead of requiring the feat (or just let you self-teach if you have this magic combo), but i'm not the atronach guy, i'm the conj guy.

onto the good;

1 hour ago, monkeypoacher said:

this is actually exactly what zarsies envisioned when he made the feat pre-lore games, so i'm glad to see it's being used to it's fullest extent.

4 hours ago, Nug said:

this is fairly close to reality. however, the biggest problem with jing (in my opinion) is the changes to voidal weakness that came a few months after i posted the lore, which makes sickness peak on you if you have any voidal magics whatsoever, gimping the fantasy of a pure conj mage wood witch doing whacky shit with bones in the woods, and making beastmelding largely for flavour rather than for combat, the initial idea.

4 hours ago, Nug said:

emote counts are WACK!!!

5 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

I've been using conjuration for a while now and my main thing is yeah, conjuring things for Out of Combat purposes is a rather slow process and should be changed to be smaller.

6 hours ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

My only opinion is don't give non-combat spells/enchantments ridiculas emote counts. Having to do three/four emotes to summon butterlies to be the princess you wanna be is pretty annoying to me.

noted, and largely agreed, honestly. old conjuration didn't really have much in the way of emote qualifications, so i didn't entirely know where to put them, while also preventing the rampant abuse that permeated the magic. edit: this is in terms of non-combat, to be clear. i think i'm about right on the money in terms of combat emote counts.

4 hours ago, Nug said:

5 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

In addition to that, I believe that the range for Plant Conjuration should be raised because, as it stands, the area of effect is the block you're standing on and one block out from that. That is a miniscule and useless range to have - my opinion is that it should have sizes as the Animal Conjuration does.

ditto with this, but in a different direction. at the time of writing, druids were catching a lot of flak for various plant-bending activities, and i didn't want any part of it. i saw plant conjuring as a "lesser" part of the magic and largely treated it as an afterthought, when i should've knuckled down into defining it more.

onto my own, wholly independant thoughts; i've been toying with a conj amendment for a while, after taking on a few students and seeing firsthand what outside thoughts on the magic are. if anyone was any comments, thoughts, critiques, ideas for additions, and so on, drop me a line; Skele'nnit#4976 . there's a few buffs (specifically to emote counts), simplifications (specifically to beastmelding), and additions (secret 😎) i've been kicking around in my brain for a while, now that we're a few years out from the lore games and the wounds have healed.

p.s. i'll ruin a lot more for you nug 😈

Edited by LoTC's Next Top Model

I've always struggled to find the identity of Conjuration. I ask myself 'What sort of character seeks this type of magic?' 'What is this magic for?''. I have always drawn concern when a character begins using a magic without having their thoughts and reasons about it fleshed out. Conjuration seemed, for a while, one of those magics that people took because it's abilities are cool. Which isn't a terrible reason, but it is unabashedly shallow.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how they personally roleplay it.

An earlier post mentioned 'Bog Witch' type roleplay, which is a brilliant stylization of the current iteration of conjuration. Yet even this is far flung from its inception, which has me thinking that this magic is metaphorically still feeling around in the dark trying to find its own way.

In an update I'd want to see its skills lend even better to botanists and biologists. Other themes to zone into could be this bog-witch theme, or a Beast Collector style if the former was too niche.

Spoiler

call it rose tinted lenses, but elemental conjurations were very neat to behold in roleplay. A showstopper if used correctly

4 hours ago, Luxury said:

I've always struggled to find the identity of Conjuration. I ask myself 'What sort of character seeks this type of magic?' 'What is this magic for?''. I have always drawn concern when a character begins using a magic without having their thoughts and reasons about it fleshed out. Conjuration seemed, for a while, one of those magics that people took because it's abilities are cool. Which isn't a terrible reason, but it is unabashedly shallow.

An earlier post mentioned 'Bog Witch' type roleplay, which is a brilliant stylization of the current iteration of conjuration. Yet even this is far flung from its inception, which has me thinking that this magic is metaphorically still feeling around in the dark trying to find its own way.

In an update I'd want to see its skills lend even better to botanists and biologists. Other themes to zone into could be this bog-witch theme, or a Beast Collector style if the former was too niche.

Hide contents

call it rose tinted lenses, but elemental conjurations were very neat to behold in roleplay. A showstopper if used correctly

I play a medically obsessed, biologically interested, animal-studying... uh, 'witch'? Scientist? She is single-minded on understanding & replicating life, so, conjuration was actually her first & a perfect magic to learn. 

8 hours ago, Luxury said:

Reveal hidden contents

life and blood. meat and bone. it's meant to be the biological counterpoint to transfiguration, which is all about studying the material world. some people take conj because they want to do animal things while not being a druid. some are academic types. some are witches. fundamentally, it's not really too different than any other voidal magic. replace "i really like fire" with "i really like dogs". sometimes people have a deep and yearning need to be nearer to nature on their own terms. sometimes they just want power. nothing wrong with either approach as long as you go through it with a level head.