Is Roleplay With Strangers Dead on LotC?

Caelria

2 hours ago, rukio said:

If people don't like you OOCly they will simply actively shun you by ignoring your RP regardless of if they know you personally or not. The server isn't big enough for most people to be real "strangers" unless one is new.

I don't think a lot of random people hate me on LotC! If they do, I'd be at least a little surprised!

I've given a lot of staff members (those of whom who don't often roleplay, to be honest) a reason to not like me by being so overwhelmingly critical and a bit trolly, but honestly I've been on hiatus for like 6 months and I don't think most random folk going road to road are seething over the name Caelria.

I see usernames of people I don't know all the time, but maybe I'm just not that connected.

I had a great experience meeting three new folks in Urguan today. I think it's good and healthy to travel and get to know folks. But then again, I'm an extrovert so I enjoy meeting new people, and so does my character. 

You truly never know who you'll get to know or what you'll run into. 

5 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

I wouldn't say it's dead, but most of my stranger RP this map came from the roads and the cloud temple, weirdly enough. Cities seem to be hubs for people to idle while doing other things, and it's very hard to get RP started with someone who is only sort of there and wants to go back to watching MrBeast videos or whatever. It's hard to blame people for this because it's what everyone else is doing.

The problem is the discord servers. You can't get rid of them, but you can at least limit their functionality. Delete all #housing-request, #citizen-doors, #trade, #campaigning channels, delete #events and move announcements in game (or tech team can sync it with some sort of in-game chat so that at least noobs can access it), encourage people to just log on and interact with each other as much as possible by paring these servers down to the bare minimum. I think some concerted effort has to be done by the staff to at least wrestle ownership of these servers from players who can abuse them to politick and metagame as unquestioned OOC despots, trivializing actual roleplay in the process.

This sounds radical, self-destructive even. Why would anyone want to get rid of the helpful #events channel? The reason is that it is unhealthy. So much of this server has been built around contrivances to get around actually roleplaying and having fun, some things we think are necessary and healthy for the server are in fact cancerous growths suffocating out the last bits of healthy tissue in LoTC's aged, decrepit corpus.

Also get rid of ******* citizen doors. Either keep your gates open and let in all kinds or close them and pay the price to have a gatekeeper on standby. If you do neither and rely on your players obediently asking Discord Daddy for door lwc I will flyhack into your city. Thanks 

I remember having a conversation with Xarkly, Terry23, and a few nation leaders about the issue with Discord. I'd highly recommend current nation-leaders have a common hand-shake on reducing reliance on Discord. +1 to your multiple points mate, I agree with you.

just RP with all your NPC wives... wow people need to think sometimes.

26 minutes ago, Gaius Marius said:

I remember having a conversation with Xarkly, Terry23, and a few nation leaders about the issue with Discord. I'd highly recommend current nation-leaders have a common hand-shake on reducing reliance on Discord. +1 to your multiple points mate, I agree with you.

The problem with reducing discord usage is that you're at a competitive disadvantage against any communities that are heavily discord reliant. Discord doesn't really improve the server but it's a sort of thing where either everybody weans off of heavy discord use or nobody really can.

Discord has greatly improved the server for people outside of the typical EST Timezones. I usually have barely any chance to see people that have typical EST schedule, because I go to bed when they come home from school/uni/work. 

Without knowing Id get the RP I'd like to, my motivation to stay up late to RP with people outside my timezone would kinda be low.

But as I said: Meeting strangers is super easy and works in all timezones. Random RP certainly isn't dead, but scheduling RP is a good thing as well.

It's weird because some days I will be rping the entire time I'm online but other days I can sit around, run to like 5 different cities and either see a lot of people or no one but just get no rp. Even if I'm doing emotes that could instigate rp during those days, strangers almost never take up the opportunity

I think a lot of people fall into the habit of not RPing with strangers, but I don't think it's prevalent in wider LOTC community but moreso issues some people face. My advice to people is always to seek out random sporadic RP, not planned.

12 hours ago, WestCarolina said:

I had a great experience meeting three new folks in Urguan today. I think it's good and healthy to travel and get to know folks. But then again, I'm an extrovert so I enjoy meeting new people, and so does my character. 

You truly never know who you'll get to know or what you'll run into. 

Gasp 

if i havent had discord/skype/teamspeak communication with a person from the period of 2013-2016 im scared to talk to them

I literally say hi to nearly every person I meet on my Bard, so I'm not sure. Most are responsive, at least for a few emotes, before they dash away to do something else. 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:08 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

The problem with reducing discord usage is that you're at a competitive disadvantage against any communities that are heavily discord reliant. Discord doesn't really improve the server but it's a sort of thing where either everybody weans off of heavy discord use or nobody really can.

I'm tapping into my "boomer brain" so to speak when I say this: Use Discord like we used Teamspeak 3 back in the day, to coordinate warclaims. Besides that, there isn't any issue with casually chilling in a voice-chat, but cut out the usage cases such as getting perms, housing, "political RP".

On 5/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, Caelria said:

honestly I've been on hiatus for like 6 months and I don't think most random folk going road to road are seething over the name Caelria.

rip. tear. mald. seethe. cope.

every day i scour another mark on the wall for having not destroyed caelria yet

(I have no intelligent thoughts about this topic, all I can say is I try to rp as much as possible with random folk that wander into my designated playpen and that often goes well, but as a hnor player I’m fairly disillusioned about venturing outside the walls thinking I’m just gonna get RKO’d. when I abandon this fear I still feel awkward in other settlements. I’d make another character but I don’t actually have time oocly to do much meaningful rp so unfortunately I have to continue to contribute to this problem whenever I’m just online for an event)

On 5/10/2022 at 1:26 AM, punished breeni said:

lotc reaches a plateau of stagnation w/ the staleness of almaris, and i think that cliques are more deeply rooted now more than ever

its a byproduct of dollhouse syndrome: people reluctant to change, even if that change means rping out of their social circle where they feel comfortable

the world of lotc should feel foreign and scary-... in character. most people play out short sequences on their character while they're on the server, they don't engross themselves in the day to day of their character. 

the map SHOULD be more appealing filled with stuff to find, players should be empowered to wander the map and go from city to city to interact with people. . . . . but cliques are so deeply rooted that if you even so as wander chances are one group will shit talk another group and there is zero cohesion for a healthier server. discordism and rp elitism are the main causes of this mentality and the current culture of the server

7 minute walking times to a closed gate murders roleplay with strangers

toxic communities that think they're better because instead of erping as elves they erp as human nobles murder rp with strangers

a wholly uninteresting map and uninteresting world murders roleplay with strangers

bureaucratic staff-heavy systems murder roleplay with strangers

piss poor attitudes that result in calling blue jannys murders rp with strangers

take of the year imo. 

A bit late here but figured I'd mention something that happened literally today since it seems relevant.

I met a kid character for the first time. (Never met the player either)
We talked, and ended up trading some items.
He comes to me later and tells me one of the items I traded over to him saved his life.

Doesn't get more legit than that.