[PK] Song of Sacrifice

Mewliet

Her hands had been stained crimson many times. From friends, as she healed them. Foes, as she felled them. Never had the woman thought that she'd bear her sister's crimson ichor on her skin. Spilled, willingly, by her own hand. Nenar had done something incomprehensible. Unforgivable. The moment the blade touched her sister, the druid's soul was torn in half. A burning, unending ache and sorrow.

She wandered, lost and unfocused. A constant song of loss, of grief and betrayal, thrumming through the fiber of her being. A promise had been made, broken now, replaced by another. What good was a promise if unable to be kept? The red 'Ame walked alone, a path of abiding pain. Her sister, free now, leaving Nenar the sole survivor of the Pale Fae's corruption. The sole memory of those horrors. 

How can she explain, to anyone, the myriad of emotions coursing through her? That Tanila's passing brought relief for the protective sister; but the manner it happened, the cause for it's need, struck her very soul. A twisted mass of relief and guilt, pain and joy, eating away at the druid's heart. Nenar was left to walk alone, unable to speak on her pain. She would not, could not, detract from her sister's choice. And so she walked, a young beaver held to her chest. Promises....always promises. The first was broken, by Tanila's request. And again, by her request, those that followed would be fulfilled. Starting now with her favored companion, ensuring it had a fair start in the nearby river. Safety and comfort, she'd promised Tanila. A promise she would keep.

Small steps, going forwards. Steps to carry on the duties, until her tasks were done. 

But every step, every heart beat, felt the rush of sadness. The silent cry, begging forgiveness for the unforgivable.

Wicker began to unravel....

"I've been prayin' te the Aspects, te my Marhaelun Awaiti the last couple months for Tanila's welcome te the forest. But I've spent time teachin' some youngin's in front of Bolomarmaa's totem by the water, what it means te 'ave the stength of a mother. And there, we all prayed for you." - Miven Caerme'onn

A child is supposed to out live their parents.

The thought kept resonating within Leilani's heart and soul, threatening to break the Aureon Chieftess into little, irrepairable pieces. It took everything she had to keep herself together.

Even as the group dismounted from their horses to continue on foot, part of her wanted nothing more than to take her daughters and run. Find somewhere to tuck them away, safe with her. Preserve what little time Tanila had left to spend with them.

But this was a sacrifice that Tanila was choosing to make, for the greater good. For the Aspects, and for nature. To cleanse the horrific taint brought upon the land. As much as she wanted to take them and run, she couldn't. She had to be strong for Tanila, and for Nenar.

The weight on Leilani's heart was tight and suffocating, threatening to squeeze it until it was crushed. Her arm moving to wrap around Tanila as she and Nenar aided the young 'ame to the tree that would be the young Aureon's final resting place.

For the last time, she clutched Tanila to her chest, wishing to not ever have to let go, and whispering how much she loved her. 

I was with you when you first came into this world.

"It's a healthy baby girl!" 

The news from her husband brought relief to the exhausted mother, who lay slumped back against a pile of pillows. 

"A baby girl..." She murmured, a tired smile spreading across her face as she looked at Lyemar. 

A bundle was soon placed in her arms, and she cradled it to her chest. Two wide, emerald green eyes stared back up at her as she was held by her mother for the first time.

"She's beautiful... What will we name her?" Lyemar asked, reaching a hand out to brush along the newborn's cheek. 

"I think... Tanila." Leilani whispered, not breaking eye contact with those emerald eyes.

"Tanila." Lyemar repeated, smiling as he tested the name out. "It's perfect for her." 

"I love you so, so much, Tanila."  Leilani continued to whisper to their newborn daughter.

The duo parted, so Tanila could say her goodbyes to the others there. Not once did Leilani pull her gaze away from her youngest daughter, even as she latched onto her older sister. Even as she moved to lay across the assembled stones.

I will be with you until the end.

Even as the tri-blade dagger pierced Tanila's heart and her own heart screamed at her, she watched. She didn't move until a familiar voice she'd not heard in decades said to run.

A split second of hesitation, of longing to remain with her daughter, even in death.

I shouldn't be leaving my baby alone. 

But that's not what Tanila would have wanted. And so she ran, as quick as her legs would carry her. Not for herself, but for Tanila. For the children she had left alive, and for her husband. She didn't stop, until everyone was safe. She kept herself together until she knew Nenar had made it as well.

Then, looking on as the cleansing took place, she collapsed to her knees, stream after stream of tears flowing down the mother's face. Had Aedrie not been there to catch her, she may have just fully collapsed to the ground in a heap. With Aedrie's help, they made it back to the Vale. 

After relaying the news to her second youngest daughter, she made for the Wilds to inform her husband of their daughters fate. But, after this the grieving mother would often be found at the base of the willow tree left where Tanila had been, tucked against the roots.

"I know that it hurts, but you can find comfort in the fact that you know you will see her again." - Avius Csarathaire

It did bring Rosalia some comfort, but it still hurt. It hurt so, so much. She wasn't able to hold herself together in her final goodbye to Tanila. Tears flowing down her cheeks as she held onto her baby sister as if Tanila were her lifeline. Praying and hoping that the moment to part would never come, that time would freeze so she wouldn't have to let go.

But reality crept up, and soon she couldn't put off letting go any longer. Words of how much she loved her baby sister, and how of if she had a daughter, she was naming it to honor Tanila. How she wanted to be able to be half the druid Tanila was once she was attuned.

As much as she wanted to be there for the final moments, she knew she wasn't the one who needed to be there. Their mother was. Her tears only increased as she watched the backs of her mother, youngest and eldest sisters leave. 

"You're a big sister."  Leilani held the bundle out to Rosalia, where an infact was tucked, wide green eyes, and dark brown tufts of hair peeking out.

Rosalia's eyes widened in awe, golden amber meeting the emerald hues buried within the blankets. She didn't break eye contact with the infant. "What's her name?"

"Tanila." Leilani supplied with a smile. "Do you want to hold her?" 

"Ti!" Rosalia frantically nodded her head, reaching her arms out so she could take the bundle from her mother. She held the infant securely, looking down into the big green eyes once again. "Hi, Tanila. I'll be a good big sister to you. Like Nen has been to me. She'll love you too. She's the best big sister. She won't ever let you be alone or leave you. I know, because she's always been there for me." 

The wait was agonizing, hoping beyond all reason that somehow both of her sisters would return. That somehow Tanila wouldn't need to die, and that they would still have time left with her. Even just one more hug was all she wanted.

But her mother returned, alone. And the tears started fresh when she was informed that it went as planned. She latched onto her mother, sobbing into her shouldder as reality crashed into her. The two shed more tears together, before her mother reluctantly left to deliver the news to Lyemar. 

The tears wouldn't stop coming. She was gone. Avius' words went through her head again. 

"I miss you already." She murmured to herself, amber gaze staring at the spot she'd last seen her baby sister. "I want to be as brave and strong as you ar-were." She would do her duties with the devotion Tanila did her last one with.

As the Aureon Ranger returned home from the last expedition to the Hollow by Miven's side he'd go back to his duties. 'Tanila didn't give her life for us to mope and stop following the way.' He'd reason, trying to drown the guilt and urge to retreat into the broken husk within him. As the night fell the Wild Chief would train a newcomer, show them the ropes and thank Tanila for making that possible.

unknown.png

The next day the Aureon would be nowhere to be found for he had set out on a simple sailboat filled with different supplies. He left early in the morning, headed towards the Ironwood Grove he had been working on.  "I made you a promise sister. I will see it through. All Aureons will hear of you, your name shall be written in our songs. Your sacrifice and your wisdom shall be the pillars that keep strong the new generation." Thordir would put on his glove and start to plant the Hyssop seedlings around the Ironwood trees. "I will bring them home. They will know this place as Tanila's Respite. Narnsae ito iyl." He would then take out the Ironwood cutting and plant it by base of the largest mountains of the island it was the largest cutting he had ever seen, perhaps Tanila's Aureon sacrifice & spirit had blessed it. He got on the sailboat once more, headed back to the Vale, he'd look back at the island and smile. "Here, we will become Aureons. Here, we will become one of Elenwë. For Tanila" 

unknown.png

After returning home from a long day at the Ironwood Isle setting up the foundation of what would become Tanila's Respite the Ranger would head back to the main square. "I need to see Valmir, there are things to do and I can't do  them like this." He'd say to the folk around him before heading towards the Arvellon's home.

A tall, red-haired elfess with a silver clump of bangs collected her armour, longsword and glaive, packing a variety of foods and a skin of water. She departed the Vale with a beaming smile, one that soon faded into stoicism.

She knew how the Magi of the Dark abused the Savannah's Mother Tree. She couldn't even begin to fathom how they might corrupt a similar tree, though one borne of sacrifice and the direct touch of the Aspects.

Anya Calithil, The Lost Cleric, took watch once more.

445aaea76a6e7324e50f34f0c09d2593.jpg

He looked, gazing upon the tree that had grown where a life had once been as the sweeping emotion of nature, and life still echoed through his body with a gentle vibration that caressed his senses. Sorrow tickled with relief, with joy, emotions colliding and leaving a conflicting feeling. His mind moving over the few, little memories he had of the woman herself. A pleasant life, a good soul. Kindly and gentle from what his memories brought up.

"I didn't know you for long...but I do hope that, wherever you ended up within the eternal forest, it is in a place surrounded by those that care for you. To welcome you with a warm, tender embrace." 

He voiced with a gentle whispered tone. A bow of his head in respect towards the tree, the memory, and growth of the life that had passed before he departed. Leaving the land once more to return to his burrow. And to help the land in his own way as best as he could. 

As the voidal hallow vanished due to the sacrifice of the Druid, Kosher Daesmon would look upon the greenish hue in the sky due to her actions. As he travelled East, he would look upon the land as agreed by the hollow and realize what must’ve happened. “The poor soul who died for this has saved many more. Maybe I’ll see who and erect a statue one day.”

Vinwë had not known Tanila as well as the others had. They were always polite to one another in passing, though truly it was nothing of depth. When Nenar told Vinwë about Tanila's illness, she couldn't help but feel pity for the woman. She was a mother, a daughter, a sister. She was a friend to all.  It is what she thought of every time she would pass Tanila by. Misfortune and pity

When the Greenblades set out to the voidal lands, Vinwë decided to stay back; helping around the village and tending to the injured or children. And towards the end, word had come that they were successful. Piece of that word was of Tanila's sacrifice.
A strange emptiness resided within the girl. Part of her was satisfied, the woman would no longer be in pain. Still, sorrow was unavoidable.

Vinwë walked about the Nevaehlen grounds, contemplating. This kind woman she once knew was just a memory now. Death, how strange and bitter it was. She came to a halt near her grandmother's statue, Awaiti. The girl spoke out a prayer as she usually did. Her hand reached for the soft wood of the statue, and then a pause came. For a few minutes nothing was spoken or thought. Then, a realization crossed her face. 

"She'll be okay." Vinwë uttered peacefully with a smile.

The girl lingered near the statue a bit longer, before setting off outside the walls of the Vale. Gathering building materials and beautiful flora. When Tanila crossed her mind, she did not feel pity any longer. Replacing those was a sense of admiration and respect for the courageous woman. That was the Tanila she would remember.

Eyes lingered, those pine eyes rested upon the skies. Stars twinkled like a dance of day and night, forever intertwined as gray clouds rolled across the basin above. There the red haired ‘ame stood watching them depart towering as a sentient guard where she was able, it was there that she stood until they were to return with the task accomplished. The wildcat could not follow, her tousled appearance instead watching over their very home.

That was the sanguine way, when one passed on their brothers and sisters stood vigilant in a solem silence until they had passed to the next realm.

That feeling washed throughout her as a light flashed within the distant sky towards Ando, night turned to day if not for only a moment, and she knew knew what had been done that day.

When all was seemingly still, Miven felt the overwhelming reunion between two streams. 

Days later and surrounded by the children of the Vale, the Bruin kept her promise to Tanila. “The obstacles in her way only led her further down the path. Like Sister Hyssop, never lose sight of what our duties as Mali’ame are.” 

Inspired, those young cubs would soon assemble an area in honor of Tanila. 

A weary figure sat still upon the root of a tree, his head bowed in mourning. He had not known Tanila well, despite being his sister in law, but that was mostly his fault anyway. Tears slowly cascaded down his cheek, though quickly stopped, but still he wept. It felt that loss was all he had ever known, haunting every facet of his troubled life. 

"Rest well, lari'onn. May you leave the pain behind, and may your memory be a blessing."

He rose slowly after some time.

His limbs shouting in defiance.

It was time to head home.

A blonde 'aheral rested his arms over the balcony, gazing at the setting horizon that sat across from him. The two suns staring at each other. The breeze dances through the trees as the ocean waves brush against the Vales walls in a gentle caress. The man thought deeply to himself, mulling over today's events. He didn't know her very well but he remembered how she cried when the corrupted fae crushed her with it's wooden paws, encasing her with its sick roots. He stood right next to her and tried hard to free the woman. The sheer panic flashing in Laedrads eyes and the roar he emitted when his prey had harmed his beloved, the fire within him igniting. His goal in this trial no longer hunting but to save Tanila from the corrupted fae's clutches.

Then the fae transforms into a gnarled, grotesque tree where it not only held Tanila in the center as it's own beating heart, but Nenar as well. It nearly took another as well. A standing proof of how life can take as much as death could.

A year past and the two are saved, at least their lives are at the time.

It didn't come as a surprise when it was announced that Tanila would be the sacrifice for the stones to save the blighted lands. It didn't have to happen, Nenar and her family wouldn't be experiencing this grief- this pain if Ando Alurs mages...

Evar'lae takes in deep breath through his nose, shaking his own head.

It's life. That's one of the purposes of a druid, isn't it? To clean up the mess that irresponsible and selfish mages make. A common task that every occupation has, cleaning up the mess that someone has made. A thankless, never-ending cycle. There's no point now. What Tanila did was beautiful and courageous, he always heard the mantra of druids being willing to die for their duty but he has never heard of any other druid truly stepping up to actually die besides Tanila. 

Besides Nenar but that's to be expected.

May she rest in peace now in the Eternal Forest among friends  and family. Her sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Evar'lae bows his head, pushing himself off of his balcony to return to his table and write, perhaps tonight is the night he takes another step forward into his dedicancy.

" — What happened?" He knelt to the ground, accompanied in the dreadful cries of the earth above and beneath him. He hadn't felt the relentless damage of nature for centuries now, heartrending pleas or meddled rumblings turned to quotidian habits after a lifetime amidst the wilderness.

And overhead, each branch and individual leaf told him tales of grief and eternal anguish, pleading an ultimatum of torture or eternal rest. The Lion heard them groan and sigh, mumbling their profound heartache unlike all other melodies he had witnessed until then. 

"What happened?" He enquired again, one-hundred times more. His form nestled between two gnarled roots, rendered minuscule in its titanic shadow. As he wandered the depths of their gruesome cries, Laedrad harboured a singular quest, centuries-late.

He sighed. Laedrad hid beneath the cool shade of  a bestial mangrove tree, nestled into the coarse roots of nature. He carried nostalgic demeanour as often as he carried his spear and longed for the mournful ghost to depart soon. He stared at the sun delicately disappearing behind the horizon, golden-orbs squinted towards the radiant warmth that beamed onto his path. The Lion had to return.

Spoiler

Mew, my heart is yours. Thank you for introducing me to Wood Elf RP, however long ago. I had an incredible time creating memories with Tanila and Laedrad, furthermore creating a friendship between us. Thanks for the all the moments of laughter, comfort and memories I'm going to cherish forever. I hope this was an adequate end to the character. ILY.