Medieval, Renaissance, or 18th century RP?

Javert

1 hour ago, JoanOfArc said:

scifi > fantasy medieval dirt rp we've been doing for the past 10 years on mcrp

LOTC40K

tbh at a certain point it would like make sense for stuff to advance technologically as a roleplay dynamic and a lore narritive but it should be like more of a steampunky retro futuristic instead of copying how stuff happened in our world

I don't care, as long as I can eat fish I will RP even as a wig kissing, hat having, shoe tapping man!

haha funny 

FISH FISH FISH

I greatly dislike the obsession that some people have with replicating one particular era of history, and I honestly think that this has been one of the problems that has dragged sections of the server down before.

Aligning with any one era from IRL history is very short sighted. Some of the most popular and widely acclaimed fantasy universes such as the Elder Scrolls, the Witcher, and even Lord of the Rings (to a lesser extent) draw upon different elements from varying eras to diversify the storytelling opportunities presented within them.

Modeling RP after any one era limits the potential for the roleplay available to a community. Some people like to argue court cases and enjoy slice-of-life tea parties. Others prefer grittier vibes filled with inter-family intrigue and the constant danger of loss. Yet others prefer the sort of mystical roleplay that wouldn't be present in the lowest fantasy universes, or the scholasticism / intellectual roleplay that would have been absent during most of these eras.

Different parts of the server may prefer different vibes, but I don't think that promoting different niches of roleplay outside of typical historical norms should be something to be shamed. I think it's more useful to decouple communities from that sort of thinking and instead just focus on weaving a series of compelling narratives based off of the passions of a player base and its different groups therein. Dynamic individual agency will always trump artificial collectivism. 

i just want medieval dark ages with grim fantasy elements

4 hours ago, AndrewTech said:

I greatly dislike the obsession that some people have with replicating one particular era of history, and I honestly think that this has been one of the problems that has dragged sections of the server down before.

Aligning with any one era from IRL history is very short sighted. Some of the most popular and widely acclaimed fantasy universes such as the Elder Scrolls, the Witcher, and even Lord of the Rings (to a lesser extent) draw upon different elements from varying eras to diversify the storytelling opportunities presented within them.

Modeling RP after any one era limits the potential for the roleplay available to a community. Some people like to argue court cases and enjoy slice-of-life tea parties. Others prefer grittier vibes filled with inter-family intrigue and the constant danger of loss. Yet others prefer the sort of mystical roleplay that wouldn't be present in the lowest fantasy universes, or the scholasticism / intellectual roleplay that would have been absent during most of these eras.

Different parts of the server may prefer different vibes, but I don't think that promoting different niches of roleplay outside of typical historical norms should be something to be shamed. I think it's more useful to decouple communities from that sort of thinking and instead just focus on weaving a series of compelling narratives based off of the passions of a player base and its different groups therein. Dynamic individual agency will always trump artificial collectivism. 

This, just this, let there be variety.

i dont rlly have a big preference, but i rlly liked the fashion aesthetics of 1700s oren so