[✗] [Magic Lore] The Light of Tahariae

Valannor

4 hours ago, Valannor said:

Combatively, one may conjure a larger orb over [2] emotes after connection, and throw it at any target area within a 12m radius. Upon collision, it would explode in a blinding light 3x3m in radius, blinding those within that radius for a duration of [2] emotes and afflicting them with dizzying nausea - and upon Impure targets, this light would additionally inflict hallucinations and visions of the White Stag judging them for their sins, likely spurring some form of emotional distress. 

Over the course of [2] emotes after connection, one may enwreathe their chosen implement in a sheen of divine luminance, imbuing it with the fundamental law of Judgement, lasting [10] emotes

Personally, I think these two spells are overpowered and should take more emotes to cast. The first one perhaps to 3 or 4 emotes, and the second one for sure at least 4 since the spell lasts so long. 

In my opinion, I think a lot of the contents of this lore are a bit overpowered and I can for sure see people abusing it to increase the kind of "purity culture" that happens in some places. Purity culture as in some high elves RP purity as including homosexuality, mixed races, etc. So that is a concern of mine, because I reaaally do not want that sort of RP to become fueled by a ST approved magic? So it would be nice if some safety measures could be put in to prevent that sort of thing. 

By weaving their Light into pools, mirrors, or any other reflective surface over [4] emotes in a non-combative and tranquil setting, an adherent may draw upon their latent tether to the Aengul of Purity to receive a prophetic vision of the course of action a given persona may take in the future - this only able to be done with explicit OOC consent of the persona’s player, intended to spur conflict between adherents and dark magi groups by allowing faint glimpses into the plans and machinations of those divined, but of course, this spell may be used in situations beyond this; so long as such is done with good faith. In event scenarios, this requires the consent of the E.T running the event.

This I can see a lot of people trying to use to metagame, which yes I see that it says you need OOC consent but let's be real a lot of people do that kind of thing anyway. Still a very cool concept, I've always wanted to see more clairvoyance type magic in LOTC. 

Don't get me wrong, all in all it is a very cool lore. I just think that some of these spells are quite overpowered and unfair for those who are playing "unpure" or dark creatures/magi. As well as the fact that I don't want people to try and use this magic to justify/use as an excuse to be racist, homophobic, all that IRL purity culture B.S. 

not as good as my cleric lore but it’s okay 1+

20 minutes ago, Aech said:

~Snip~

I find that curious because both of these spells are already very well in line with what is in precedent - with Orb of Light being relatively tame for what it is, and Law of Judgement already taking an emote longer than all other abilities similar to it- and having an emote duration, in addition. As for the Foresight ability... yes. It's point is to allow the two playergroups to more readily engage in a conflict narrative. The adherent only knows whatever the target player wishes to show them- and even that is limited to vague hints... If you dislike this relatively small and cutesy ability, I would honestly wonder what you think of the Seers of Vaasek. Dark Magi possess a wealth of tools that allow them to deal with difficult encounters with relative ease, such as enhanced strength, immortality, or abilities that shut down the other's ability to fight back, among other things. 

As for your criticisms of 'Purity' roleplay and what follows... Yes, it has always been a trademark of Tahariaen magic that those who hold it tend to purify that which they perceive as an impurity, most often dark magi. Roleplay is roleplay, and it seems very ingenuine to try and stifle the possibility of roleplay because your own sensibilities demand it be stifled. There is nothing in this lore which directly contributes to the racism or homophobia you accuse it of - player culture may dictate otherwise, but as written, the only group 'persecuted' by this lore would be the undead, demons... Groups already widely persecuted throughout the realm of Almaris. I genuinely do not see why you're attempting to cancel the lore when the concept of Purity often touted and espoused in terms of the Aengudaemonica has nothing at all to do with High Elven Purity - and even then, I do not see why High Elven Purity is something to be shunned or scorned on an OOC level. 

42 minutes ago, Aech said:

I can for sure see people abusing it to increase the kind of "purity culture" that happens in some places. Purity culture as in some high elves RP purity as including homosexuality, mixed races, etc. So that is a concern of mine, because I reaaally do not want that sort of RP to become fueled by a ST approved magic?

uhhh this has been a thing for a looooong time now -- normally ppl just rp clerics as purity of the soul; unblemished by dark or voidal magick, but ppl are allowed to take it a step further.

if u think its harassment/ooc-targetting, then file a report otherwise the war of 'purity' on homosex and mixed races isn't rly something that should be abolished or prevented via ooc reasons, but rp reasons instead. if ppl wanna crusade homosex and mixed races, they can do so as long as the lines between ooc and rp aren't blurred . . .

besides, extremists makes rp funny, etc look at pallies and the variation of faith that they foster. you have paladins hating frostwitches to the point where they kill them, and other pallies (he-who-shall-be-not-be-named. ex-nl tho . . ) hating frostwitches to the point where he sex them

dwedity.jpg

The concept of simply 'burning' impure beings of any sort isn't really as problematic as prior versions. What in all is presented here is a lot more fair and balanced compared to prior versions of the magic. The former cleric write (pre-Lore games) featured several spells that would simply burn regardless of knowing for certain whether or not the individual was dark.

It is exceptionally prohibited in the modern day to be able to just shoot holy fire into a crowd - such a thing actually being done before - and picking out the 1 or 2 disguised dark creatures. The majority of Dark CAs/MAs often feature some form of disguise or illusory ability to be able to navigate around regardless. Very rare is it for them to openly attack, and if it were to happen it is most likely certainly under some sort of open desire to roleplay.

Happy the aspect of prophecy is being referenced - as it's been underrepresented in prior clericalism writes

Brothers of the mine rejoice! Swing, swing, swing with me Raise your pick and raise your voice! Sing, sing, sing with me Down and down into the deep Who knows what we'll find beneath? Diamonds, rubies, gold and more Hidden in the mountain store Born underground, suckled from a teat of stone Raised in the dark, the safety of our mountain home Skin made of iron, steel in our bones To dig and dig makes us free Come on brothers sing with me! I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, digging a hole The sunlight will not reach this low Deep, deep in the mine Never seen the blue moon glow Dwarves won't fly so high Fill a glass and down some mead! Stuff your bellies at the feast! Stumble home and fall asleep Dreaming in our mountain keep Born underground, grown inside a rocky womb The earth is our cradle; the mountain shall become our tomb Face us on the battlefield; you will meet your doom We do not fear what lies beneath We can never dig too deep I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, digging a hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, digging a hole Born underground, suckled from a teat of stone Raised in the dark, the safety of our mountain home Skin made of iron, steel in our bones To dig and dig makes us free Come on brothers sing with me! I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, digging a hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole Diggy, diggy hole, digging a hole

paladins r cool but i've always been itching to see some more holy magics, can have a million bajillion dark magics but only have one holy magic?? +1 

2 hours ago, Valannor said:

I find that curious because both of these spells are already very well in line with what is in precedent - with Orb of Light being relatively tame for what it is, and Law of Judgement already taking an emote longer than all other abilities similar to it- and having an emote duration, in addition. As for the Foresight ability... yes. It's point is to allow the two playergroups to more readily engage in a conflict narrative. The adherent only knows whatever the target player wishes to show them- and even that is limited to vague hints... If you dislike this relatively small and cutesy ability, I would honestly wonder what you think of the Seers of Vaasek. Dark Magi possess a wealth of tools that allow them to deal with difficult encounters with relative ease, such as enhanced strength, immortality, or abilities that shut down the other's ability to fight back, among other things. 

As for your criticisms of 'Purity' roleplay and what follows... Yes, it has always been a trademark of Tahariaen magic that those who hold it tend to purify that which they perceive as an impurity, most often dark magi. Roleplay is roleplay, and it seems very ingenuine to try and stifle the possibility of roleplay because your own sensibilities demand it be stifled. There is nothing in this lore which directly contributes to the racism or homophobia you accuse it of - player culture may dictate otherwise, but as written, the only group 'persecuted' by this lore would be the undead, demons... Groups already widely persecuted throughout the realm of Almaris. I genuinely do not see why you're attempting to cancel the lore when the concept of Purity often touted and espoused in terms of the Aengudaemonica has nothing at all to do with High Elven Purity - and even then, I do not see why High Elven Purity is something to be shunned or scorned on an OOC level. 

I'm not trying to scorn or shun this, again its a cool lore. 

I didn't say I dislike it, I was offering my opinions and suggestions. Its on me if you didn't want anyone to critique. 

As for "canceling the lore" thats not what I'm trying to do. Maybe its just a personal bias, and it very well might be, but LotC is a place where I feel comfortable being myself and all that. I won't name names but I've had experiences of the people that use high elven purity to justify homophobia, racism, sexism etc. Roleplay is roleplay, but it still doesn't sit right with me that that sort of thing is justafiable. 

I didn't say that your lore directly contributes to the racism or homophobia I know happens, I said that I was concerned some people may try to use it to justify such things, which I suppose looking back on doesn't make as much sense but yknow what I had just got finished with two hours of Algebra and my brain was a smoothie. 

"Very ingenuine to try and stifle the possibility of roleplay because your own sensibilities demand it to be stifled." 

When did I ever say that I wanted the magic itself gone? I think its a cool concept, I really do I just had some what I thought was helpful critisism, but if I offended you thats my bad. 

But lets be real? If I could "stifle" any homophobic roleplay I would. I totally would, because for me and a lot of others LotC is a place to escape from things like that IRL. 

Again, I never meant to offend you, or make you feel like your hard work was invalidated. So I'm sorry if I offended you.

ppl just need to stop blurring the lines of OOC and RP, rather than blaming unbiased lorepieces . . . -- a problem of the players, not the systems in place . . .

Happy Crying GIF

It's been far too long since there's been a really good cleric rewrite that is balanced but still maintains the aspects of what it means to be a cleric, without resorting to older rewrites and old ways. This is one of the best ones I've seen. I am also really happy to see the prophecy side of Tahariae being explored a bit, I figured it'd be a neat concept to explore when I was assigned with rewriting and updating Tahariae's lore - even if it's just a neat little detail in the Aengudaemon's lore.

Tahariae and the Clerics always held a strong place in my heart as one of my favourite LotC lore pieces and I've had so many good memories with other clerics, so to see folks still wanting to bring it back and build up where I've left off... it makes me happy to see.

+1 - Bring the clerics back.

Sooooo if A Hanyo passes and this passes then we can hunt each other down ye?

+1 

10 hours ago, Aech said:

Maybe its just a personal bias, and it very well might be, but LotC is a place where I feel comfortable being myself and all that. I won't name names but I've had experiences of the people that use high elven purity to justify homophobia, racism, sexism etc. Roleplay is roleplay, but it still doesn't sit right with me that that sort of thing is justafiable. 

Cleric purity =/= High elf purity why are you conflating the two? There can be more than one concept of “purity” on the server at once.

Don't know why the first thing that came to my mind as soon as I opened this post was this...

jimmy-barnes.jpg?w=1200&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t
oh wait I do know why... y0jM0NpEPf6j5RPo0PLdjYJxd5un4fVYTtJ9_8Zv