[✗] [Magic Lore] The Light of Tahariae

Valannor

18 hours ago, Valannor said:

Over the course of [2] emotes after connection, one may enwreathe their chosen implement in a sheen of divine luminance, imbuing it with the fundamental law of Judgement, lasting [10] emotes. While active, this imbuement would cause one’s strikes to shove their target back 1m in a wave of harmless force, preventing any lethal or harmful blow from being dealt by their hand.

Does this mean that after 2 emotes you're untouchable? I'm confused on how this spell actually works, but used in poor faith it sounds like anytime someone emotes to approach I can just push them back. It says the wave is harmless, but is the actual attack? If I put this on a sword and stab someone and throw them back I can do this indefinitely for 10 emotes because they're always going to be on the backfoot after being thrown, and have to reclose the distance- only to be thrown again. 

Combatively, one may conjure a larger orb over [2] emotes after connection, and throw it at any target area within a 12m radius. Upon collision, it would explode in a blinding light 3x3m in radius, blinding those within that radius for a duration of [2] emotes and afflicting them with dizzying nausea

I don't think this spell is balanced at all. A two emote mass CC for 2 emotes is insane. Nothing stops you from just recasting it once they're blinded again and chaining the spell over and over again.  I'm concerned as well because nothing stops the cleric (or multiple), from being impeded by armor or weapons, so they have the full strength of their descendant counterparts, in addition to free CC.

intended to spur conflict between adherents and dark magi groups by allowing faint glimpses into the plans and machinations of those divined, but of course, this spell may be used in situations beyond this; so long as such is done with good faith. In event scenarios, this requires the consent of the E.T running the event.

Just leave this as events, there's no reason to force other people into having their plans metaed on the basis of good faith. If dark and holy players want to have a conflict, let them do so through roleplay rather then a spell and ET/ST oversight. It just doesn't make sense to gain visions like this when your magic is supposedly focused on purity. 

I'm concerned about this submission. You described it as a support class but it's combative spells are extremely powerful, and cast faster then almost all other magics. It feels more like a burst mage with a few flavor/rp spells and a heal. I don't understand how a majority of these spells have to do with purity( and maybe thats the fault of cleric submissions in the past).

I don't think changing the 2-3 emote channel seen in other magics and switching it onto the spells is a good idea either, if it only takes one emote to connect, I'm free to start spamming after one emote, and its rare anyone can close the distance between a mage in just 1 emote. 

How are clerics subverted? What are they weak to? How can their spells be undone?  Nothing describes what magics are compatible with it(in the learning sense) and  what magics can overpower or undo its abilities, or what someone's limitations are once they become a cleric(if any, and there should be imo).

19 hours ago, Valannor said:

Blood Magi

How are blood magi impure? Their genus, their soul, are both unaffected by the magic so I'm confused on why this magic would be extra effective against them. 

I still love you. But take my feedback :)

16 minutes ago, Panashea said:

How are blood magi impure? Their genus, their soul, are both unaffected by the magic so I'm confused on why this magic would be extra effective against them. 

That’s not true, blood magic users are not only weakened by the magic but gain a multitude of ailments.

2 minutes ago, BobBox said:

That’s not true, blood magic users are not only weakened by the magic but gain a multitude of ailments.

I mean in the sense of Holy v dark, getting a cold or anemia/mental illness  shouldn't make a deity hate you especially when BM specifically talks about clerics and holy mages being able to utilize the magic.  None of the ailments have anything to do with corruption or being impure.  I'm unsure where you see weakened by the magic either, most of the physical effects are mundane/aging, or heart/vasculatory problems

The tangible effects of blood magic include but are not limited to causing one’s skin to pale or become red and blushed, hair to lighten or become brittle, wiry, thin, greasy, or dry, eyes to become washed out and possibly milky with bags forming beneath them, easy bruising, occasional nosebleeds, or racing or slowed heartbeat. These effects are rarely dangerous medical conditions however the player may opt to increase the severity of these features and the character might seek out alchemical or magical remedies for their symptoms. 

unknown.png

An example may be a circle of fire, metal, light, divinity, sacrosanctum, and power combined with fire evocation and a templar’s strike with a hatchet to create a glittering, flaming war axe fit to embody Malchediael’s glory. Another example may be a circle of water, air, ethereal, transcendence, power, and draining combined with necromancy and fjarriagua witchcraft with cursed ice and an appropriate heirloom to resurrect a fallen frost witch as a wrathful banshee spirit of winter.

My lore... cannibalized.. but yeah, this looks pretty decent overall considering it's supposed to be a simple basis for further expansion. I do still have a couple things to suggest that the core lore should still entail.

Clerical light, in my opinion, should cause clerics harm if excessively used. This is a scrutinous, alien light which permeates their limited mortal bodies after all, and while wouldn't be immediately harmful, overuse would surely cause holy burns or even death if one goes over their maximum capacity. Setting the foundation for the overall effects of the light are important, especially in this reboot since the nature of the light itself likely won't change in the future, only its applications through clericalism. In that vein, maybe a focus of sorts could be used to mitigate these effects? This could be added later on of course.

Other big thing I recommend is some form of chancery or hallowed ground the Clerics can come together to make. More than other holy magics, I definitely feel like clerics are more of a 'coven' type deal and should thus be encouraged to seek out places to meet. These can, of course, be simple at first, but I think are still crucial to setting the foundation for future pieces. Later on you can add rituals and stuff which they can engage in with one another, but the creation of these grounds, even if their effects are benign at first, would be a good thing to add. 

Good work otherwise. I look forward to seeing where this goes. 

((Also, just seeing this, but let Clerics use blood magic. They can be disconnected as a result of this of course, but blood magic itself could reasonably be used despite its dark stigma as it does not inherently taint the soul and is solely mortal in is basis)). 

An initial read has me really intrigued and hopeful. I share your sentiment of Holy/Divine Magics could go a long way in the server if given the chance. I really enjoyed your writing and found myself wanting to read it again. I feel like if accepted this lore piece has the potential of creating many interesting opportunities and RP scenarios. I look forward to interacting with a cleric of the stag in game.

In the wake of the return of Tahariae’s influence, the White Stag charged those who would serve him with three commandments - and so was woven into the firmament of the Light the task of severing the boons of those who would profane them.

As soon as I read this I was a bit concerned. My opinions regarding lore written tenets pretty clear however I really like the way this piece addresses them with the following segment:

The tenets which Tahariae has laid are left to be interpreted by the adherents as a whole in-roleplay, and thus do not bind the individual adherent to them mechanically - that being said, all adherents would inherently know these commandments from the moment of their connection, and would feel naturally compelled to follow them. In the event that one believes their fellow adherent to have gone against the commandments, they may attempt to sever their ties to the Light - and strike it from them entirely, through the Rite of Severance. 

My only real concern with the disconnection ritual stems from this portion here:

Being disconnected consumes [2] of an individual's magic slots permanently, even should they be reconnected. 

As far as I know there is no other magic capable of doing this, but I'm not entirely sure what Taharie's domain or control over souls is in terms of power.

21 hours ago, Valannor said:

The definition of 'Impure' shall be defined as beings of darker origin or those who are fundamentally twisted and warped by dark, daemonic, or aberrant influences, such as the Nephilim of Azdromoth, Kharajyr and Hou-Zi,

While I understand the presence of most of the creatures or magics listed as Impure the mention of daemonic, Hou-zi, and Kharajyr confuses me. (More so Hou-zi and Daemonic) The state of the soul of the others should be significantly worse than that of a Kharajyr. And as far as I was aware Hou-zi's souls were not manipulated by Metztli they are just smart monkeys. Regarding Daemonic influence, would this come from a hatred on behalf of Taharie on her daemon brothers and sisters? As far as I'm aware the title of aengul or daemon is not necessarily an equivalent of good and evil / holy and dark. Additionaly, wouldn't the curse ingrained by Ibless in the soul blueprints of every descendant have a similar signature to that of Metztli's meddling with a Kharajyr?

I'll go over the rest of the piece and add comments as I read.

Upon collision, it would explode in a blinding light 3x3m in radius, blinding those within that radius for a duration of [2] emotes and afflicting them with dizzying nausea - and upon Impure targets, this light would additionally inflict hallucinations and visions of the White Stag judging them for their sins, likely spurring some form of emotional distress. 

I feel like it might be important to include how this spell might affect Seers, would a seer flinch or be blinded as well? Could this spell be used to hunt seers & expose their ability to see leading to to their disconnection (?) 

[T3] Law of Remediation

I feel like in this particular spell its important to redline how would this spell affect a dark mage / azdrazi, would they get healed as well? Or would the light of Taharie reject the subject its meant to heal. (I really don't want to see a Cleric healing a dragon just cuz they are their friend/lover. 

An individual may only have this spell cast upon them once an IRL day, necessitating multiple days to heal more severe injuries. Should an IRL week pass and the required number of sessions not been completed, the wound will reopen, and the damage to be expected will follow thereafter. 

What would happen if more than one cleric were to try and cast this spell on a patient? Would it simply not work? Would the light of Taharie harm them? What happens within the patient to reject this spell?

[T3] Ward of Light

A defensive veil, often used when leading the allies of Tahariae’s folk into battle against the Impure of the realm, first devised by the prophet Jakob in his service to the Stag centuries ago. 

I really like this spell there are only 3 questions that come to mind when I read it. 

1st: Would a physical attack of a dark mage be ignored as well? Or would the veil allow for example: a khor blade through?

2nd: Would a creature created by dark magics feel any effects if they cross the barrier or stand within it? Or would the barrier keep them outside?

Requires [1 Connect + 1 Preparation + 1-3 additional Cast for enlarged Ward.] Lasts for a duration of [3] emotes, must be channeled and concentrated on to be maintained.

3rd: Would the ward start working after the preparation emote? Would the duration start once the spell has been completed or as soon as the ward is set up? 

[T4] Sight Beyond Sight

Like this particular spell a lot, a small question comes up when I read it though. Are these visions something that can be conjured about anyone? Or does this require a cleric knowing the target is a dark mage or an "impure".

22 hours ago, Valannor said:

[T5] Final Oblation

Can anyone be subject to being revived this way? Even people who die to PK clauses? (I know there is a list of cases in the redlines but I feel like there are some redlines missing)

22 hours ago, Valannor said:

Tier Progression

Might be useful to add clear bulletpoints or redlines to this segment, for example will it take 3 months / 12 weeks to reach T5 regardless of the not knowing any spells Are these spells something the cleric learns from a teacher? Or is the knowledge of them something they acquire through visions given to them by Taharie?

12 minutes ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

As far as I know there is no other magic capable of doing this, but I'm not entirely sure what Taharie's domain or control over souls is in terms of power.

Seers of vaseek have the losing slots upon disconnect

Edited by twinwolf1

1 hour ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

~snip~

Kharajyr are considered aberrants/abominations by the Aenguls to the best of my understanding, as sort of unholy bastardizations of life. I'd need to look at Hou but if they're just smart monke I can nix 'em. Otherwise, for your point on Iblees, descendants are not included as they do not owe their existence to being jammed into a blender with a cat - they're just all cursed in small part by Iblees. 

Seer will be patched, but I don't think they'd be affected, given the Witness being... the Witness. 

Law of Remediation will be patched to prevent fuckery, and correct one can only be healed once a day - this is to prevent people from speed healing an individual from the brink of death. 

Ward of Light ignores all physical attacks, correct. It can only repel magical effects, and it only takes effect on the [Cast] emote, not the prep one. So a minimum of 3 emotes to conjure a 1x1 ward. A dark mage could walk through it just fine given they're a physical force. 

I'll go in and redline that Final Oblation cannot rescue an individual from things like a Templar's Last Stand, or other lore-related PK clauses.

I didn't think it needed to be specified that one needs lessons and time in order to progress, as is the case for every other magic. You do not progress in tier just by sitting on the MA per our lore rules, you require knowledge of every spell of your tier in order to progress in addition to the time requirement. 

Tyvm for the feedback mijo, I'll apply it asap!

I'll have to give it a proper read, but I support my boy

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.