Aviary Plugin!

Jistuma

I give it 3 months before there's a forum topic about how horrible the plugin is. We had almost the same exact plugin in Anthos and it was met with much excitement only for it to become a huge hassle and people just ended up using Skype (throwback) to send stuff anyways until it was removed. 

Still, I hope I'm proven wrong and this works out! The work by the Tech Team is always appreciated c:

Very hyped for the new letter types. If there's a physical bird flying though, that's gonna suck for lag. Can't wait for my bird summons for a medic to be shot down though. I do adore the fact that there's a time depending on how close a person is. Very poggers, thank you techteam. You're doing amazin'

1 hour ago, RandomRhunes said:

Wait; What does this mean for the housemancy spell that lets you send notes?

They mentioned in the post that /msg while OOC is still going to be permitted for given magics. I guess that druids passing messages through passive communion, and the housemagery spells for sending letters will still be permitted by these means. Especially because magic takes time and emotes to send so it was never the active means of how one metagamed sending "birds" to begin with.

Its mentioned in

Roleplay rules:

In-game private messages (/msg) are considered out-of-character (except where explicitly permitted for magic/lore). To send messages via birds, you may write and sign a message on paper with /notes and send it from an aviary with /aviary.

2 hours ago, Barbog said:

my man out here makin a rooftop aviary on his brokerage.... based, zazed even...

this, literally.

the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real 

Wow a complicated /mail plugin!

6ib6m4.jpg

finally!! i am so exited for this also why would someone shoot arrow to the birds? then how we will know if it reached or not, :/ they could emote and we would not be near the bird we never know?

still so excited to try this out!!!

Essentially a 2.0 version of what we had in anthos! Great! I love it!

but... are they parrots, chickens, or bats?

i vote chicken

Hello,

12 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

So are birds in flight represented with a parrot or what?

Also, if the birds have to physically fly all the way over to their destination,

Birds are represented by a parrot yes, but they disappear after some time, this is due to limitations of minecraft (such as chunks having to be loaded for entities to move). As such, you can't camp between two aviaries and snipe them all. The birds also go in a random direction, since the other player can receive a note in any aviary, not a specific one.

12 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

Whilst a great plugin, no letterboxes? 

Maybe later, first it's important to have the basics meet, and only then do we improve and add onto it.

12 hours ago, un-w said:

Does a bird *have* to be represented by an actual bird? For example, could a druid use their animal companion (like a cat or lizard) to send a letter, or can a Naztherak use a Zevn imp (tiny demon goblins)?

Shooting down flying cats seems interesting. I only did the plugin, but for what is allowed to roleplay them as, you'll have to confirm with moderation.

7 hours ago, Hoom said:

finally!! i am so exited for this also why would someone shoot arrow to the birds? then how we will know if it reached or not, :/ they could emote and we would not be near the bird we never know?

You get a message saying your bird was killed, and another message is sent to everyone around when a bird is killed.

8 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real the birds arent real

You can think of them as flying rats if you want.

11 hours ago, MapleSunflower said:

Very hyped for the new letter types. If there's a physical bird flying though, that's gonna suck for lag.

I've made a few checks for that. The bird disappears after a while, and someone can only send one bird every 2-5 mins. Because of all those, i don't think there will be much of a problem with lag. If there is, I'll have to change stuff again to make it better.

11 hours ago, Your Favorite Impure said:

I give it 3 months before there's a forum topic about how horrible the plugin is. We had almost the same exact plugin in Anthos

I don't remember this plugin, we didn't even have parrots in LOTC back then. Heck, I made another plugin of aviary in one of the later maps, and that used a flying chicken, but that was canned because of a minecraft update that broke it immediately.

If there is feedback about how bad it is, I'm here to take the blame (only about the plugin!). 

are aviaries available/usable starting now or do we have to wait till the grace period ends to use aviaries? i wish to create an ic ponzi scheme this way

Birds are very easy to shoot down. Not bad, just a mention. Write who your message is to so when I intercept it I can send it along for you all!

Secondarily, I sent one letter yesterday and it worked fine, but my second letter I sent a minute or two later I got a notification reading: "Error: An unhandled exception occurred. Contact a developer." and it deleted my letter.
Helpful reminder for everyone to memorize what your letters say so you can remake them when the server eats them or they get intercepted, to write to and from, please and thank you, and carry extra paper.
Would it be possible to get a clock or something that shows when the next letter can be sent? Makes it hard to send batches of letters to multiple people for a party, just getting 6 people could take 30 minutes (or more if the server eats them) of just sending letters, then who knows how long for them to receive it, then time for them to travel. Having a clock or timer would be helpful so I have a rough estimate of how many hours I have to wait to ask people over for tea.
Neat plugin, but perhaps needs a little polish to make it more convenient so people don't just /msg or Discord anyway, people tend to take the path of least resistance, and Discord rarely swallows my messages.