Aviary Plugin!

Jistuma

During the Franco-Prussian war, from basically the top of France to the bottom took a bird 10 hours just to get from the top to the bottom of the country. So, if we take 10 hours one way, then 10 hours back in just the size of France (which LoTC is suppose to be larger than it looks as a block stands for 3 feet), therefore I can positively say this is a joke and will never be RPed realistically. It will just be used to rely sensitive information in 3-5 minutes time which would further remove dynamic, robust agency in RP. It will only take away instead of enhancing flavored RP.

13 minutes ago, satinkira said:

Are you saying that Almaris is the same size as multiple medieval kingdoms?

i think the map is suppose to be realistically pretty big, so if we just use France as an example, we can see how the realism will never transfer over 

4 minutes ago, Scuba said:

but keep thinking slow, life is defiantly easier that way

I'm asking around for some info. Chill.

20 minutes ago, Scuba said:

During the Franco-Prussian war, from basically the top of France to the bottom took a bird 10 hours just to get from the top to the bottom of the country. So, if we take 10 hours one way, then 10 hours back in just the size of France (which LoTC is suppose to be larger than it looks as a block stands for 3 feet), therefore I can positively say this is a joke and will never be RPed realistically.

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

In other words, Almaris would have to be 3,168,000 blocks wide to match the length of France. I'm happy to say that this isn't the case.

Here I am, at the world barrier; Z coordinate 3775.

And here I am (unsatisfyingly) at the other Z world barrier; -3774.

Together, this makes Almaris 7549 blocks wide.

If each block is three feet, then 7549 * 3 = 22,647; making Almaris 4.2892045 miles wide.

Now, if 600 miles = 10 hours, then 60 miles = 1 hour. I'm going to be a little bit lazy, and round the distance of Almaris to four miles; and, dividing 60 by four which gives us 15, we can safely say that a bird should take, at most, 15 minutes to fly across the map.

Realistically.

18 minutes ago, satinkira said:

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

In other words, Almaris would have to be 3,168,000 blocks wide to match the length of France. I'm happy to say that this isn't the case.

Here I am, at the world barrier; Z coordinate 3775.

And here I am (unsatisfyingly) at the other Z world barrier; -3774.

Together, this makes Almaris 7549 blocks wide.

If each block is three feet, then 7549 * 3 = 22,647; making Almaris 4.2892045 miles wide.

Now, if 600 miles = 10 hours, then 60 miles = 1 hour. I'm going to be a little bit lazy, and round the distance of Almaris to four miles; and, dividing 60 by four which gives us 15, we can safely say that a bird should take, at most, 15 minutes to fly across the map.

Realistically.

hold on.

almaris is --.. .. ....

it's only 4 miles wide? PARDON?

2 minutes ago, TreeSmoothie said:

hold on.

almaris is --.. .. ....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Admittedly, it is quite odd

2 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

hold on.

almaris is --.. .. ....

If almaris had realistic travel distances travel times would be so horrible we'd all quit the server.

not to mention the map file would probably corrupt or lag to crud with how big it'd be.

10 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

If almaris had realistic travel distances travel times would be so horrible we'd all quit the server.

not to mention the map file would probably corrupt or lag to crud with how big it'd be.

When do we get a 400000 block wide Almaris.  WHEN.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:27 PM, Jistuma said:

Bug has been found, and a fix has started to be created. Thanks for the bug reports. I've also made it so that the bird is sent first, and the letter is deleted later, so that if something bad happens, at least you still have your letter. It's still not on the main server, but will be soon.

Thank you for the reply! I was just coming back here to report it happened twice in a row just now when trying to send a letter to someone, which brings my experiences with the plugin to about 50% fail rate resulting in the letter being deleted.
I'm excited for this change! My letters being deleted is the biggest worry right now, so glad it's getting fixed. Though I'm still a bit sad at the sheer length of time it'll take to get letters to people and then get responses, being able to send letters to offline people will be very handy. If they're online I'll just hunt them down and personally deliver the letter. :D

On 6/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, satinkira said:

Realistically.

Time is a little convoluted on LoTC depending which flow of time you take.
However, 15 real minutes is roughly 6 hours irp, as each real hour is about an irp day.

It's currently 1:33 AM when I'm doing this, and I'm bad at math, but converting for this as I understand it would mean a bird should take 0.625 minutes, which is a little over 30 seconds.
(15 minutes goes into 6 hours 24 times. 4x6=24. Then 15/24=0.625.)
Again, idk how solid my math is, but 15 minutes irp is a little over 30 seconds irl.