9.0 - LOTC's Next Step

squakhawk

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

I want to note we won’t be seeing the new map until, at earliest, 2023. 

3e3e6a90a77c476d950513bb76996377.thumb.jpg.9be91c0afb3c6579011d409b419d26ec.jpg

Hopefully you guys build the next map with 1.18 in mind as the new Minecraft height and depth could really add some awesome verticality where I think LOTC has always lacked.

Also I'm not sure if who is doing the world painting or if you're going to pay someone to make the next map but something I always struggled with when map making is taking into account the player's render distance and the limitation that visibility brings into making compelling environments. 

It's easy to get lost when you're in creative mode looking at the world from above with a render distance of 24 and you're able to see that mountain in the distance when in reality on the server a player won't be able to see anything until they're up close and instead just see an open field in front of them and the mountain isn't even rendered in.

A lot of people here talk about having an Athera sized map but don't account the playeybase #'s that existed during Athera. Also the reality of it, is that it's really hard to actually create a compelling world that also feels balanced when it comes to nation positions in the world. 3.0 is a great example of what happens when you place a nation's capital as the first thing you run into on a long road to other nations. New player will simply get snatched up into that one city. If in LOTC there were just 4 cities for each race respectively it'd be simple but the reality isn't like this and so positional balancing becomes a nightmare. 

I'm not a player anymore but as someone who was heavily part of 7.0 and 8.0 map making process and being the one who did the terrain, forests, biomes, etc. for the map in WorldPainter I just enjoy the process. That being said some of my perspectives might be more removed from the current player experience.

Again, It'd be really cool if you guys utilized the new height limits because they bring a lot of potential for verticality that LOTC has never really had. This can be hard to do in WorldPainter but in post with terrain manipulation plugins I think it could really add to the world overall. Also custom assets would be really useful as well for whoever makes the next map in WorldPainter. Things like custom trees and rocks can really add to the overall world. 

Good luck on the next map!

Let's play Minecraft!

No prebuilds (except, maybe, encampments) and hostile mobs spawn. Make it truly feel like the world ended and we have to start all over somewhere else. Players must work together in our respective kingdoms & factions to survive the world and build our settlements from the ground-up.

58 minutes ago, Kilgrim said:

Hopefully you guys build the next map with 1.18 in mind as the new Minecraft height and depth could really add some awesome verticality where I think LOTC has always lacked.

Also I'm not sure if who is doing the world painting or if you're going to pay someone to make the next map but something I always struggled with when map making is taking into account the player's render distance and the limitation that visibility brings into making compelling environments. 

It's easy to get lost when you're in creative mode looking at the world from above with a render distance of 24 and you're able to see that mountain in the distance when in reality on the server a player won't be able to see anything until they're up close and instead just see an open field in front of them and the mountain isn't even rendered in.

A lot of people here talk about having an Athera sized map but don't account the playeybase #'s that existed during Athera. Also the reality of it, is that it's really hard to actually create a compelling world that also feels balanced when it comes to nation positions in the world. 3.0 is a great example of what happens when you place a nation's capital as the first thing you run into on a long road to other nations. New player will simply get snatched up into that one city. If in LOTC there were just 4 cities for each race respectively it'd be simple but the reality isn't like this and so positional balancing becomes a nightmare. 

I'm not a player anymore but as someone who was heavily part of 7.0 and 8.0 map making process and being the one who did the terrain, forests, biomes, etc. for the map in WorldPainter I just enjoy the process. That being said some of my perspectives might be more removed from the current player experience.

Again, It'd be really cool if you guys utilized the new height limits because they bring a lot of potential for verticality that LOTC has never really had. This can be hard to do in WorldPainter but in post with terrain manipulation plugins I think it could really add to the world overall. Also custom assets would be really useful as well for whoever makes the next map in WorldPainter. Things like custom trees and rocks can really add to the overall world. 

Good luck on the next map!

One of the reasons we've waited this long to start development was to make sure 1.18 had the tools needed to tackle a project of the scale we wish to make this map for. Taking advantages of new features and blocks. Verticality is definitely something we'll be looking into.

Dont make the map almost unbuildable like you did with this one, please n thank you. 
(Also add an archipeligo of small island to big ones)

I do hope the map makers don't make Swiss cheese Mountains again

My only suggestion is more events for the general population of the server. I've heard of events for druids, Azdrazi and spooks everywhere but nothing for the average player. Dingo did a good job with the dragon but I'd love to see that also on a smaller (but more frequent) scale with event team actively reaching out to nation leaders and playerbases to discuss eventline.

Oh and event sits, the ones I used to stumble upon all the time in Atlas with a sign that said [PM [Insert ET name here] to interact with].

3 hours ago, HistoryChap said:

Let's play Minecraft!

No prebuilds (except, maybe, encampments) and hostile mobs spawn. Make it truly feel like the world ended and we have to start all over somewhere else. Players must work together in our respective kingdoms & factions to survive the world and build our settlements from the ground-up.

No please.

idea spitballing inbound

i've always been a huge advocate of anti-cloud temple roleplay. CT should not be treated as an RP hub and i think most of us can agree on this. putting the CT on a separate world warp, or in the "sky" as an actual cloud temple will help keep mundane RP disconnected, but still serve as a placeholder for revival mechanics and whatever relatively OOC interactions can be found there. i know on almaris the world team attempted something "different" with CT this time around, and don't get me wrong, by itself it looks great, but it's not good for lotc. the layout, design, the size. it's not good.

deviation is good, but we can deviate in a way that isn't totally devoid of what we've known for the last 10 years. keep the familiarity, keep the nostalgia, give it some more life, but don't make it an oversized hypixel lobby

speaking of, I would ******* LOVE to see some floating islands. they're ******* cool. maybe their weight is only tethered to the ground by some magical force, vines, ancient chains, whatever can be thought of, and have daunting, ancient bridges that players can cross from island to island with, and actually allow them to be traversible. imagine having a CRP fight up there with some people, or mages trying to knock each other off, shit like that

Avatar 2009 (FLOATING MOUNTAINS) - YouTube

have we ever thought of going underground? almaris has a lot of caves, sure, but most are.. pretty boring. most are mundane, normal caves. i'm talking actual underground biomes that's more than just "medium sized cave." give us some cool ravines, stretches of underground plate that cross beneath cities and settlements. sections of land that collapsed in on itself, overgrown by nature with rays of light shining through as you look up from the bottom. arcas had a lot of these things, especially near the main roads. it was interesting to look at. 

Pin su Underdark for D&D

what about trees? it feels like forever now that all we've ever had for trees was just "big tree. big spruce tree." instead of anything that actually feels like fantasy. in fact, at this point, I'd much rather see a normal tree than a giant 100 block tall pine tree. it doesn't feel like a real world at that point. I'm not arguing "realistic," but rather, something that can be envisioned and imagined as you walk through. give us trees enhanced by fantasy aspects, and don't just make all of them humungous. normal sized trees are fine. i would LOVE to see an "enchanted forest" type biome, and I'm sure many elves would too. giant mushrooms, floating wisps of blue light, eternally night but lit up by natural light. there were many parts of atlas that incorporated strong bioluminescence, especially in the water. I'd love to see what neat building tricks could be pulled off to accomplish that

Enchanted Forest by jostanfords on DeviantArt

there are so many possibilities

no more maps starting with A.

That is all