9.0 - LOTC's Next Step

squakhawk

I would like to see a decently sized map so that the new height levels can be taken advantage of, and I think a lot of the complaints people have about the size of the current map could be solved by having a more convenient, circular road system, as well as some more thought to the overall traversability.

I also think Cloud Temple should be more connected with the rest of the world and serve as a spawn/map center, rather than a fast travel hub.

I think this current map design has led to people being very reliant on using the fast travel hubs to get around, which results in less spontaneous RP, as there are less people to meet on the roads, as well as a number of other consequences.

This is not helped by the fact that the current map is split between two large landmasses. In the next map, I think a large, single continent should be the main focus, and any other landmasses should be significantly smaller.

4 hours ago, pokos said:

I think this current map design has led to people being very reliant on using the fast travel hubs to get around, which results in less spontaneous RP, as there are less people to meet on the roads, as well as a number of other consequences.

It's fascinating to me, this phenomenon: making a world so large, populating it with many an imposing sight to see, but nothing to compel or justify the time-sink of exploring its landmarks, which results in the need for means to fast travel - rendering all that time and effort crafting such a landscape fruitless.

And then there's that second issue you mention; it leads to the consolidation, if not outright fossilization of RP centers where people are guaranteed to be. Thus, all other sites become devoid of life and the interactions that could spawn in or around them dissipate alongside the players.

Edit:

One thing I find fun to bring up whenever I run into massive worlds that could be argued bring a more "realistic" scale to a setting or its geopolitics is the fact this same issue with scale is part of the reason why, for most of our written history, the majority of a settlement's population could spend their entire lives never wandering yonder than their natural or human-made borders. Generations of humans would live and die in a single settlement because traveling to neighboring ones often times was too long and/or too arduous a journey to be worth their while. Why risk losing what little you have where you are for the ephemeral possibility of more, somewhere else?

Edited by Arafel
Trivia~

11 hours ago, Arafel said:

It's fascinating to me, this phenomenon: making a world so large, populating it with many an imposing sight to see, but nothing to compel or justify the time-sink of exploring its landmarks, which results in the need for means to fast travel - rendering all that time and effort crafting such a landscape fruitless.

I understand your point in respect to a large map. I'm not sure what people envision when I request a 'decently sized' map, but by that I certainly do not mean a map larger than Almaris, or something of that nature.

But I believe the opposite of your first paragraph. I think there are plenty of ways people can be compelled to explore the map. For example, the resource nodes for varying items scattered throughout Almaris. While I think that system could use some change, that is one way people are currently compelled to explore the map.  I am by no means compelled to fast travel just so I can check out the landmarks of other towns. To me, all of those things can be seen when I arrive there in RP.

Personally, when I play a character,  I pick and choose a realm / culture, and I generally stay within it, unless prompted to leave by some kind of RP reason. To me, this is enjoyable because I can RP that my character is genuinely unfamiliar with the races, culture, and architecture of the various kingdoms. This is perfectly possible WITH fast travel, but when it comes time to journey to another kingdom, everyone else grabs their soulstone and heads for the Cloud Temple so they can skip to the other end of the world. This kills the whole mid-journey. There is no risk taken on the way to the destination, and all interaction that could have been had encountering another party on the road, is now made impossible.

Perhaps there should be some sort of compromised fast travel system, but I think it should seriously be trimmed back from what it is currently.

On top of the lack of RP travel, this fast travel system is detrimental to roadside businesses, wandering merchants, small towns, as well as patrol and guard RP. 

Why not just make one big and well designed map and not reset for 5+ years, would be better no?

@Caelria The point I was trying to make was that mistakes are going to be made regardless (which is fine), and it's unlikely we're going to have a map perfect for everyone's preferred playstyle (which is fine)

Should've been more clear in that in hindsight. But yeah, making a map for a server like LotC isn't as easy as it may seem

Hey, nice post, what kind of plugins are currently being developed, just for a general idea