[✓] [Magic Lore] Druidic Blood Magic

BobBox

It is finished, now BobBox will go on to his next five projects.

Spoiler

unknown.png

runesmithing encroaches on the RP niche of blood magic

(that was a joke, i didn't even read piece yet but i will give actual thoughts later)

I'm proud to announce that BobBox's next project is Azdrazi blood magic

I think the first two abilities are pretty good, (although herblore is probably getting axed anyways, so you might want to keep that in mind, maybe make it work without herblore.) I have some questions/concerns about the last two though that I am unsure on.

4 hours ago, BobBox said:

Is always a PK clause if one dies, should they not have another way to circumvent death. 

It says for both that pk clauses apply unless you have a way to circumvent death. I am fairly certain that being in another realm is an irreversible pk regardless of any ways someone might have to come back beyond monk revival. From a similar think in arcane displacement it says

• One is always subject to death and harm without the confines of Earth. Conclusively, death out in the cosmos, far from the faculties of any monk, entails an irrefutable PK.

I am pretty sure in this case dying there would be a pk regardless of what you might have, though I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, BobBox said:

Fae that leave through the portal will become corrupted due to blood magic’s nature.

I feel like, while the aspects/mani are generally hands off when it comes affairs. Opening a corrupting portal right into their realm would probably result in pretty bad stuff for anyone involved, though Keefy would probably be the one to know for sure on that (I'm imagining literally every living thing around you doing it's best to try to attack you.

The last ability I really have some issues with to be honest. In current lore mani can only be corrupted while in their corporeal form (something which druids cannot summon them it, they can only summon them in ethereal.) This has the side effect that the 10-15 mages needed to normally corrupt a mani need to be performing this ritual with a demigod actively trying to kill them. In this lore, you need only five blood mages, one of which needs to be a druid, and the mani does not even need to be present physically.

I do not really see why a lesser mani would not require mani summoning from a participant/sacrifice either. Even though it is a lesser form of mani are still mani. With the two week timer and how little people you need to subvert the catastrophic result as well this could end up being a annoyance for druids and ST alike to have to constantly be dealing with if any druid with blood magic decides to do this.

In my opinion a better option for this ability would allow druids with mani summoning to, with enough blood mages, summon a mani hostile to them in their corporeal state instead of an ethereal one. After this they would need the 10-15 dark mages already required by lore to blight it like normal. As is if five blood mages could do this ritual with even a small chance of success I do not see the aspects allowing blood magic to be compatible with druidism what so ever, it's already stretching things that a magic capable of producing corruption is compatible with druidism in the first place.

I do like the dynamic the first few would bring, though as it is I think this has some problems. Most of this is based on what I know, though I am not a ST so I would ask a druid ST like Keefy to maybe speak more on this.

4 minutes ago, ClassyBells said:

One is always subject to death and harm without the confines of Earth. Conclusively, death out in the cosmos, far from the faculties of any monk, entails an irrefutable PK.

Hey, I actually copied my redline from the Embark spell in default blood magic (which can already go into the Fae Realm and many more powerful realms), so I feel as if it still adds up. 

7 minutes ago, ClassyBells said:

I feel like, while the aspects/mani are generally hands off when it comes affairs. Opening a corrupting portal right into their realm would probably result in pretty bad stuff for anyone involved, though Keefy would probably be the one to know for sure on that (I'm imagining literally every living thing around you doing it's best to try to attack you.

Yeah, that's kinda the idea. Players could go in and fight if they want or they could attempt to sneak in somehow. Alternatively as said in the lore, they could just open it to let out all the Fae. 

12 minutes ago, ClassyBells said:

I do not really see why a lesser mani would not require mani summoning from a participant/sacrifice either. Even though it is a lesser form of mani are still mani. With the two week timer and how little people you need to subvert the catastrophic result as well this could end up being a annoyance for druids and ST alike to have to constantly be dealing with if any druid with blood magic decides to do this.

Collectively we decided that it was a bad idea to need one to corrupt lesser mani because ultimately mani summoners are very few in numbers (maybe 4-5 of them or so assuming all are active). We wanted to discourage possibly hunting them constantly for such a small goal.

Personally, I think you underestimate how difficult it can be to get even 5 blood mages together for a common goal at the same time. Many deal with various different time zones, work schedules, etc. Unlike druidism where a multitude of people can substitute in, there simply aren't that many blood mages and more powerful rituals in base blood magic take at least 2 less of them. For example, a t5 teacher could teach all three of their students and they would still not have enough people for this ritual. 

19 minutes ago, ClassyBells said:

I do not see the aspects allowing blood magic to be compatible with druidism what so ever, it's already stretching things that a magic capable of producing corruption is compatible with druidism in the first place.

In response to this, I would say that Druidism in the past was allowed with blood magic which was incredibly more dark and corrupted than it is now. The current blood magic combination is a percentage of the strength and evilness of the past. In response to saying that a mani may need to be physically present, I don't believe this would be needed for blood magic to work, simply because blood magic reaches out into the universe no matter where things are to interact with them, for example, the possibility to summon unknown relics, open portals into another realm, etc. 

4 minutes ago, BobBox said:

Hey, I actually copied my redline from the Embark spell in default blood magic (which can already go into the Fae Realm and many more powerful realms), so I feel as if it still adds up. 

Fair enough, I still question how that makes sense but if it exists already better to go with that.

5 minutes ago, BobBox said:

Yeah, that's kinda the idea. Players could go in and fight if they want or they could attempt to sneak in somehow. Alternatively as said in the lore, they could just open it to let out all the Fae. 

Yeah I imagine this ability works better as a mass summon of corrupted fae unless you had some way beyond it to be very careful and stealthy.

9 minutes ago, BobBox said:

Collectively we decided that it was a bad idea to need one to corrupt lesser mani because ultimately mani summoners are very few in numbers (maybe 4-5 of them or so assuming all are active). We wanted to discourage possibly hunting them constantly for such a small goal.

Problem is, a lesser mani is not a small goal at all, they are still demigods. Even if you slay a corrupted mani it will just reincarnate in the forest later so there is not any long lasting problem to this, it's more that if blood mages are able to do this every two weeks with the current limitations it could get frustrating fast (along with still not making sense in my opinion.)

12 minutes ago, BobBox said:

Personally, I think you underestimate how difficult it can be to get even 5 blood mages together for a common goal at the same time. Many deal with various different time zones, work schedules, etc. Unlike druidism where a multitude of people can substitute in, there simply aren't that many blood mages and more powerful rituals in base blood magic take at least 2 less of them. For example, a t5 teacher could teach all three of their students and they would still not have enough people for this ritual. 

I probably do, I do not have the most understanding of blood magic in general. I would guess though that gathering 10-15 voidal or dark mages for any kind of ritual though, let alone one with a pk potential, would probably be just as hard if not harder. I understand where you are coming from here but I feel like this is something that would take a substantial amount of effort to pull off (unless blood magic has a way to corrupt other divine beings with 3-5 people.)

17 minutes ago, BobBox said:

In response to this, I would say that Druidism in the past was allowed with blood magic which was incredibly more dark and corrupted than it is now. The current blood magic combination is a percentage of the strength and evilness of the past. In response to saying that a mani may need to be physically present, I don't believe this would be needed for blood magic to work, simply because blood magic reaches out into the universe no matter where things are to interact with them, for example, the possibility to summon unknown relics, open portals into another realm, etc. 

I think that it never really made sense in the past either, though I will take your word for it. Actually that makes me think that the point of the last ability could actually be to summon the stronger corporeal mani, since mani summoning along with blood magic might allow that to be possible. You could theoretically summon them for reasons other than blighting them which might add more of a dynamic for the ability, and if you want to keep the five mage minimum it would give reason to bring non-blood mages in to hold the mani off while the blood mages complete the ritual. My personal thought is there is just not enough risk here for the blood mages involved compared the the massive amount that exists in lore (which is set so extreme that it's probably intended never to happen by the actions of players.)

Thanks for responding to my concerns though! I would say Rite of Deception makes perfect sense for this, though I am still a bit apprehensive about the last one. I think it could be cool with some adjustments but as is now I am not sure if it makes sense.

Sounds awesome, +1

Especially love the ideas of Rite of Deception and Contort Nature.

Just for clarification of the greater corruption of Contort Nature, if a stolen MArt staff is used, then it still won't bind to whoever stole it right? 

1 hour ago, Hermit_Jack said:

Just for clarification of the greater corruption of Contort Nature, if a stolen MArt staff is used, then it still won't bind to whoever stole it right? 

Unless someone physically has the MArt item in their inventory, it cannot be corrupted, yeah