Dominic Wolfgang Colborn's Adventure: Whale Hunting!

Hunting the Gigantic Whale

Written By: Dominic Wolfgang Colborn

Meeting Lady Palatine

Well, it all started with the frequent Colborn meeting inside our manor in Karosgrad. Farfadir had announced that the Colborn’s were having a special visitor visit the Colborn Manor… It was Lady Palatine Isabel Baruch! I was cheering for joy to meet and greet someone new. All my cousins, grandfather, aunts and uncles gathered around the lounge room; sipping on Catayla Colborn’s home-made orange juice. It was not ordinary orange juice, it was delicious orange juice made from scratch! I took a sip of the tasty orange juice as I grasped the cup with my hands, slowly raising the cup to my paled lips.. The Lady Palatine had arrived on cue as I took my first sip of the delicious orange juice

As the orange, red haired Isabel Baruch showcased her beautiness, I was jumping for joy on Farfadir’s knee as she walked through our manor door. As she greeted and introduced herself to all my family members. Farfadir told me she was Lady Palatine, who is the first-right hand woman to the Koeng and Koenas of the Kongzem. She helps the people, listens to the people and helps the Kongzem government flourish. That is what I intend to do as well when I grow older; help those that are in need and bring food for those in need of our service! My Farfadir said I have always had the inspiration, aspiration, kindness and the potential to do great things for the Kongzem… Well, let’s just say my Farfadir is my own inspiration and guides me to succeed. My Farfadir is my mentor and my anchor to my boat, as the tales say. Suddenly, Lady Palatine was making her way over as I was conversing with Farfadir. SHE IS PRETTY.

My conversations with Farfadir were always about my future and what I want to do to fulfill my duties with the Kongzem.. That was to help the people, be a great person, be a hard worker and always be kind to others, no matter the circumstances. I was sitting on Farfadir’s knee when Lady Palatine Isabel made her walk towards us. Her flashy jewelry around her neck reflected the sun’s brightness in the room, her orange and reddish hair stagnant due to low volume of wind flowing through the manor, her pretty dress covering her slim figure and her ‘sassy’ movement was noticeable as she approached us.. She greeted me, “Hello, little lad. What is your name?” I said to myself, woah, she is so pretty!

Farfadir had mentioned earlier about women with reddish or orange-ish; ‘It was very rare that a Colborn has married a woman with such locks and we were lucky to ever find such beauty.’ The Lady Palatine asked me my name and I told her that I was Dominic Wolfgang Colborn and that I was six years old! Let us just say, I have my Farfadir reading and correcting my spelling mistakes until I have made an extraordinary effort to complete this! Anywho, she had asked me what I have wanted to do as I grow older and previously knew what her job was for the Kongzem; I told her I wanted to follow in her footsteps, to help people, write, storytell, learn sword fighting, fishing, be a squire to learn History, be a musician, be part of the government, be there for my family; I want to do it all! I want to conquer the World! The Lady Palatine said she wants to read to me and said I can read to her in the library! Fascinating and remarkable! Now, she invited the whole family to go Whale Hunting in Valwyk.. Boy, was I excited!

As Lady Palatine and her guards departed.. I arched my back to pick up my boots and placed them on my feet to get ready for our adventure… But now, Little Adrian’s pappa, cousin Godric, said that Little Adrian and I could not go on the boat to whale hunt, however, said we could stay on the shore to watch? Boring! No way! I told little Adrian that we must devise a plan to runaway and make our way to the docks of Valwyk.. You know, where there are boats and fishies. Even Farfadir said we could not go on the wooden boat! I could not believe what my ears were hearing! Little Adrian and I wanted to hunt this whale so we could protect our Kongzem from the evil-fish in the sea; the WHALE.

The Escape

Whoever is reading this, you are reading it correctly as this is when Adrian and I planned our escape to the Valwyk docks! After our family portrait was taken by an artist in Karosgrad… I yelled out to Godric that there was a DUCK in the fountain. Little Adrian does not know how to speak well, saying the same thing that I had spewed out of my mouth and my GODANI, my cousin Godric, was gullible! Little Adrian and I, holding each other's hands of course, sprinted towards the Karosgrad Docks. Snow Seagulls made their sound effects, sort of like a ‘gurgle’ sound and birds that dangled on the ship chirped as if Summer had arrived; however, Haense has never seen a day when it was not cold. It was a good thing that my Farfadir taught me how to read road signs that showed us where we were going…

On our way, we saw beautiful red rose bushes along the hills and a giant gray stone, cobble wall.. The cobbled wall looked like it was protecting a castle. The wall had a rather different colored touch compared to the Prikaz structure in Karosgrad. The Keep was a boring gray cobbled color whereas the Prikaz in Karosgrad was made of… Maroonish red with different colored patterns! There was a giant stoned staircase that led upwards to more grape vineyards and more red rose bushes.. The small hills covered by rose bushes, came down the small declined hill, to the green, smooth grass led towards a forest terrain… A forest, I say? It seemed the forest leaves were changing in color; hint of red, hint of yellow and a hint of orange. The seasons have changed? The two of us were in for a treat!

The Forest of Krusev

The path that guided the two of us into the forest was covered with different colored flowers. Doe deer frolicked with their respected buck and fawns.. The deer ran in a pack, just like how human families coordinated with each other. People in the city of Karosgrad or my Farfadir’s friends call me a fawn.. I am growing old, I do not like to be called that! Anyways, I made sure to hold onto Little Adrian’s hand just to make sure no monsters or bears pondered in the forest. The wind was howling through the trees, snow thumping to the ground as it made a splash off the branches of the brown oaked trees and mind you these trees were ENORMOUS. Squirrels collecting nuts and snow bunnies collected grass to survive. Black crows were building their nests out of… Hay? Those pests are ruining Karosgrad’s farms! How dare they! 

The ponds in the forest had a layer of crystal clear thin ice covering the top of the pond and as we looked down the pond. As we looked further down the beautiful blue pond, it seemed to go down deeper and deeper, almost just like a black hole that can swoop us away from reality; just like those evil people in cells, gone and lost forever. I felt an urgency to back Adrian and I from the horror as our reflections from the pond were lost as we continued our way to Valwyk. The snowy path seemed never-ending and our legs and feet grew tired. Little Adrian barely could walk over the small mounds of snow and asked me ‘if we were there yet.’ At this point in time, I thought to myself… Why did we not go with our Farfadir? Our plan was a bit foolish, however, it was not Adrian’s fault.. It was my fault, I will take the blame.

The yellow sun beamed through the cracks of the brown branches, covered by the colored leaves, which gave it a sweet touch with the colors on the leaves; just like Catalya’s sweet and tangy orange juice. Perhaps we almost made it out? It seemed we walked for miles and miles. No road signs were nearby to navigate us to our next destination. Adrian seemed more exhausted every step we took. I cusped my hands, just like a cup into the icy water and scooped up some water for Adrian and then myself when we took breaks. As we went further up the road, the wind started to simmer down and we heard birds happily chirping away, branches crackling, water flow from the stream ahead. However, there were still no road signs to indicate where we were. It was a bit dicey but I know we can make it out of this. I have faith in GODANI to get us out of here alive.

Up ahead the path was an old building in the forest. The house was deserted, furniture decayed within the enclosed house, mounds of snow on all the wares, glass windows shattered, stone and wood debris filling the rotted staircase and the roof collapsed due to a fallen tree that towered it seemed. As I saw through the cracks of the house… There was another path; brown soil and horse tracks with a hint of white snow covering the ground.. There was a wooden sign that was malleted into the hardened, soiled surface… The sign read ‘Valwyk just up ahead.’

The Whale Hunting Exhibition

Exhausted, tired and weak, us boys made it towards Valwyk. My, it is a huge Keep with a lot of architecture that has been crafted in this great piece of stonery. It was crafted to perfection, indeed. We traveled up the road ahead towards the wooden docks of Valwyk and we saw many wooden boats that donned the Haeseni Flag. There were many smaller boats and there was an enormous boat with a crowd of people. The boat that carried the people were far out and I saw Farfadir in his wooden wheelchair with the Koeng, Koenas, Catayla, Lady Palatine and many others, a few civilians, men and women with armor; perhaps they were Knights? 

Everyone on the boat told us to swim! We were just children that did not know how to swim! Yelling and bickering like children, the adults were losing patience! Now, Lady Palatine threw us a circle, floating device called the ‘Lifering’? As we jumped into it, Adrian slipped to the side of the Lifering but my grasp held on to him. One of the people on the boat jumped into the water and helped guide us to the boat. Adrian and I finally made it to the exhibition in style! The man placed us on the ladder and climbed up to the top of the boat. Farfadir and Cataya were not having it… Little Adrian and I were soaked from our hair down to our toes… We did not let this stop us.. It was time for our adventure! 

As we set sail, I sat near my Farfadir and Adrian. Farfadir seemed disappointed that we were on our lonesome, however, we had fun exploring the forest which was the highlight of my adventure thus far.. Lots of conversations were going on around the boat and it was overwhelming. Not just the conversations but the movement of the sailboat going up and down the waves coming underneath the huge boat. Just like how Farfadir cradled me as a baby but a never ending rocking motion. The water was quaking and shaking, people on the boat screamed out that the Whale was just up ahead! 

I looked over the boat and saw a huge, gigantic gray fish near our ship. All of sudden the Whale plopped out of the water, water coming out of it’s nostril and made a huge splash; the wave seemed to be bigger than the boat but the boat took the wave like a champ! We were soaked again by this creature! How dare that this whale did that! The men placed a huge weapon called a ‘harpoon’ on the mechanism and fired at the Whale.. I knew there was something I needed to do.. That was to throw a rock at the whale to kill it!

The adults fired their ‘harpoon’ at the Whale.. Little do they know I found a rock on the boat.. Catalya seemed to keep me occupied and wanted me away from the side of the boat. She saw that I picked up a rock from the boat and smacked it out of my hand! I am trying to help the cause! I pouted as I sat down next to Little Adrian.. I felt bad for Little Adrian, shivering, fear and panic showed on my cousin’s facial features. I calmed him down and as I did so, I looked at Catalya’s movement…

She was distracted by the whale’s movement in the water; the Whale created HUMONGOUS WAVES and Cat seemed sea sick! Her face turned pale and her hair twisted and frizzled. I snatched up the rock that Catalya smacked out of my hand and I threw the rock towards the whale… It hit the Whale and the Whale flopped down as the rock projectiled at the whale.. TARGET ACQUIRED! The adults slammed the harpoon in the Whale’s skin as well and it died! That day, I deemed myself as a hero, I protected Lady Palatine Isabel and others. Farfadir was proud of my courage! I cheered and more conversing, cheers were had as the floor of the boat shook from the movement . Moments later, the adults loaded up the Whale and we set off back to Valwyk…

The Whale was huge and the Knights, warriors alike carved up the whale into big chunks of meat for the city of Karosgrad and the respected Houses that supported Haseni-Ruska. Farfadir picked up Adrian and I onto his black-ish, white-ish coated horse, we saddled up and traveled back to Karosgrad. It was a glorious day, indeed and I was appreciated by the adults for my wisdom, charisma, confidence, bravery and let me tell you. It was an experience I will never forget.

Godric Adrian Colborn was very upset with his son, Adrian, when he returned. Seemed despite his warning, the children acted out against his demand. What a shame.

Catlaya Karyna Colborn was not only annoyed that day but soaked and tired. Though she laughed at the story nonetheless.

The Lady Palatine read the story, thoroughly amused!

"I'm up to here-" He motioned to far above his head before continuing. "-with worry for all my various descendants!" The Colborn Patriarch calmed down after finally mulling over the tale. "Well... at least they had fun I suppose I was just as rowdy when I was their age, reminds me of Ingvar." No doubt the elder started going on a long monologue after that, which we cut out to keep the would-be-readers sanity.