[✗] [Alchemy Addition] Saint Caius' Shield

Islamadon

I think an interesting application of this idea would be a potion meant to forstall/counteract the different types of dark magics, with maybe requiring a unique reagent from said magics or something related to them

For example: if you want the potion to work against necromancers, you would maybe need to add to it the bones of an undead (not an Undead CA, but an undead creature in general: like from a player event undead even). Mystics you would need ectoplasm. If it relates to naztherak maybe you need rakir, and vampires uhh... maybe their blood?

It does feel like this is a super jack-of-all-trades potion, which while yes paladins should not be the ONLY ones doing curing and such, does feel a bit over the top for a singular potion.

2 hours ago, Islamadon said:

Between Paladins that date vampires and others who commission Rokodra from Azdrazi, I would hardly say that Paladins necessitate an adherance to their own code and deity to be potent. Muritor's Elixir is an alchemy potion that has set a precedent for curing curses that affect the soul. Most curses, to my knowledge, do not linger beyond CRP anyhow. This potion does not heal you, and would simply kick out any lingering curse that a person might suffer from.  You touch a curse again, you get cursed again. Even the Necromantic diseases I described say that they can be cured with alchemy and simple "homeopathic" treatments that can be as simple as rubbing sage on a wound. I would argue that there is no such thing as "consequence" for curses currently anyhow since anyone can just walk to the vale or Urguan for an hour until a Paladin comes and help you.

A good question since this will inevitably come up. Muritor's Elixir set the precedent for curing a curse of the soul, and this potion would not simply a drink or vitamin supplement. Its base necessitates Liquid Mana, which is magical, and utilizes Aurum (this effects Ectoplasm and has been a long time weakness to spooks until it got nerfed). Another ST precedent that has been set is that an influx of Mana can disrupt magic, including that of the soul (Null Arcana can temporarily stun Sorvians). The symbols required are all Aether signed which, as described by the lore page, "covers features that attribute to odd and mythical properties." I can understand the dislike towards it being able to cure soul afflictions since it's more esoteric than simply having a rash.

It seems odd to use an ad-hominem to try and justify lore, doubly so when you know the particulars of these circumstances and how the community has been working to weed such individuals out IRPly - especially when your own community, the Templars as stated, have done the same shenanigans and worse. I don't find this to be a valid justification by any sense of the word. Your mention of a monopoly is also relatively rebuked by the Shamanic player-base, which has the ability to cure curses as well. 

As one of the primary paladin players, and the one you've brought up in your posts, I disagree vehemently with the nature of this piece. Paladins need to draw on chanceries or proxies thereof - where the power of a god is most directly present on the mortal plane - in order to purge curses mostly-solo from most individuals and items, save a particular few which require additional paladins. The person leading the ritual needs to have been a paladin for around 2 months, and they require a particular ST approved enchantment or a Chancery in order to remove these curses. Why is a very cheap, plentiful, and non-ST approved potion able to not only perfectly replicate Paladin purging, but surpass it in terms of effectiveness and practicality, when throughout the server's history Paladins have always been the most proficient with the practice of removing curses? I can understand wanting a mundane method to deal with curses, as I broached the topic with Spoons, but there's a difference between having a method to deal with them and outright making yourself the best at the job. If you're truly insistent on wanting an alchemical method of mending curses, it should be scaled back and made limited in its effectiveness, and likely made more expensive and to require ST approval. 

6 minutes ago, Valannor said:

Do not take that response personally, as it was a rebuke to Smoothie's statement that only Paladins should be able to purify things because they act in accordance to their God (which I stated is sometimes not the case). I did not mention Templars because they lack the ability to purge. I understand that the Paladin community has made efforts to fix this, and it's why I sought to propose this as a way of helping the work load, key words being "inconvenience him" when describing how we have to summon you. So, I apologize if that came across as offensive.

Otherwise, I appreciate the feedback. I agree that the cost should be more, and that Alchemy shouldn't be as potent as Paladin magic. How would you recommend this potion(s) be nerfed, with regards to ability? I myself was contemplating Kunuck's suggestion but feel as if requiring Rakir/Ectoplasm/Life Force etc. would be anti-archetypal to those wanting to cure a curse... At that point, you'd be required to sacrifice cats to cure a Naz curse. Ultimately, this post is a draft.

22 minutes ago, Sri said:

I agree that Paladins should not have a monopoly on this kind of RP but as is echoed by others, making one potion which can effectively counter a huge range of "maladies" and curses really does not add much to RP. If it was a more involved processes requiring some risk or ingredient from those specific lore pieces then it would be vastly better.

I do not want to have a monopoly. I can guarantee you purging rp gets tedious after awhile. 

5 minutes ago, Islamadon said:

Otherwise, I appreciate the feedback. I agree that the cost should be more, and that Alchemy shouldn't be as potent as Paladin magic. How would you recommend this potion(s) be nerfed, with regards to ability? I myself was contemplating Kunuck's suggestion but feel as if requiring Rakir/Ectoplasm/Life Force etc. would be anti-archetypal to those wanting to cure a curse... At that point, you'd be required to sacrifice cats to cure a Naz curse. Ultimately, this post is a draft.

Personally, I'd weaken and limit what curses it can affect, as I had in my tah magic lore - perhaps adding more difficulty to the procedure, making it multi-staged such as special incenses and such. Constrain the scope so it's only really useful against the common, weaker curses - such that the times when a paladin needs to be called are all the more special. I love the idea of an alchemical cure, but I agree there should be more to it. I think Muritor presents a wonderful way by which it can be done, e.g with the special surgery that needs done to cure Corcituri. 

I believe this lore should have an addition where it can also render holy magic blessings null. 

I feel that dark mages have this underlying habit of getting chucked by mainstreamed lore because it supports the image of holy-mages being able to counteract dark mages curses, but not allowing dark mages to counteract holy mages blessings!!!

3 hours ago, Tentoa said:

curses act as a  parasite  attachment to the soul

It's described as soul corruption, which I'd describe as damage or at least something beyond a parasite  for the fact that it requires an Aengul to fix rather then the current provided concoction, or similar strength non-deific magics. Some spirits also represent the aspects in the current recipe, so I'm unsure it should be a cure-all(i.e you can curse someone with purity).  For the sake lotc terms I think its fine though.

My larger/real issue is that the current recipe would just undo something that most T3 mages of opposing magics would struggle to do, and when curses are supposed to last for a year vs being cured in an hour.

3 hours ago, Islamadon said:

Ultimately, though, I see your point. Will confer with others again for that minor revision.

I don't mean to say I don't approve/agree with the submission,  I understand the need for it but I also think that  you should separate the different magics into different potions  and make them expire after a certain period; many of the other magics have to deal with similar caveats to prevent them from being hoarded and invalidating the effects of fighting. 

24 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

This is an interesting concept, but I'm unsure what lingering blessings can be applied onto people if they're not already Paladins [Templars can't even spread their blessings beyond 10 emotes with a banner]. My personal take on Alchemy is that it is worldly and thus would be neutral to both Dark and Holy magics.

ALSO, I updated the original post. I added a further symbol cost, and clarified that this potion would theoretically ONLY work on Minor Hexes, Cursed Idols, Shaman Hexes that affect emotion/personality or a Phantom's Geistreach. The intent of this potion was to enable non-Paladins to deal with baby curses that might linger and really affect nothing IRP aside from the way a character interacts. I was hoping that a priest character would use this and start screaming "BEGONE DEMON" as they flashed a bible.

14 hours ago, PXY said:

in japanese mythology, the soul is stored in the ass. the recovery phase should be horrible diorerria where u shit out the curse over 3 ooc days 

wise words poopsharter

mfw people realize that blessings/curses can be considered parasitic and more complex than "good and evil". paladins having sex with vampires is proof enough of that (you know who you are). 

Just make this into a weaker/more complicated version of purging being able to be done by paladins, but maybe "cleanse" the body of both blessings and curses. 

Also, vargs have the ability to impart a blessing/curse known as the "sigil" (lengthening the lifespan, but granting cryptic and painful visions and making one sickly) - this is a tricky thing to cure, and already has a non-magical method of curing (given the knowledge). However, I'd be partial to having the effects of this potion "soothe" the afflicted individual momentarily, though not unlike opium, and proving addictive over long-term use. 

20 hours ago, PXY said:

in japanese mythology, the soul is stored in the ass. the recovery phase should be horrible diorerria where u shit out the curse over 3 ooc days 

in addition to this, failure to defecate the curse (10/100 roll or below) can cause fecal implosion in the potion imbiber (ur poop bottles up and u explode)

This looks pretty neat! Personally, I'd maybe give the cure a bit more of a notable drawback, if not a long-term one. It doesn't have to be huge or largely debilitating, but it would be cool if something was left in-RP to remind people of the fate they had narrowly avoided. Otherwise, I don't mind this too much. 

As someone who is currently rping out the OOC consent of geistreach, let me tell you how freakin' hard it is to find a paladin who can purge you.

I've spent my entire week trying to find someone. It's great rp, let me tell you that, but it's so difficult to find a holy mage, find one that can perform whatever purging spell, and find one that is active to heal you following solely roleplay information and networking. 

At least having something to help with geistreach and possession would be great. Almaris healthcare sucks LMAO

I'm going to be self denying this because, upon reflection, I think I could do far better making an Alchemy Pack that addressed the different types of curses separately and in a more flavorful way. The original hope for this piece was to provide a remedy to common afflictions we encounter but I've come to agree over the course of a couple days that a cure-all is weak and could be better. Will go back to the drawing board with this one...

This lore has been self-denied.