[9.0] [Your View] Freebuild

squakhawk

Horrible idea. It's time intensive and incredibly bad for player retention, just too make a few people happy.

I've personally had to deal with all these things alongside some mods in the end of Arcas and even if excessive effort, it still was covered in landscars. It is, as said a noob deathtrap. For me personally, when I joined Atlas, seeing all these landscars it came close to scaring me off the server.

The tent idea, however, sounds quite neat.

tl;dr, as someone who wasted way too much time walking around on Atlas trying to find people, freebuild sucks massive doodoo. splits people up way too much and only feeds into the "there's too many settlements aaa!" issue. don't do it, don't try it. my hands ache just thinking about it

Please no freebuild.

Have an island like in Anthos where this can be done, but please for the love of god actuall moderate land scars and bad builds and not put 'landscar notice' signs on them that never have any follow ups

freebuild sux

we've got enough little settlements that are working fine as is with the leftovers of savoy

Free the builds, Telanir

bring back freebuild if someone manages to dupe blocks and remake the ARCAS RESOURCE PITS YEAHHHHH in freebuild

Free Build bad. For all the reasons listed above. But a more 'laxed settlement application process? Could be cool.

I do like the idea of a tent plugin, as of right now there is no way for nomadic people to rp properly as you can't build just anywhere on the map.

I will say that one of my biggest concerns with freebuild is how it tends to be treated by new players. A player who joins the server was advertised that LOTC is a server where they can build their own empire, become a king, queen, whatever, but when they actually attempt to do such via freebuild, they come to realize how astronomically difficult this is. Even for some veteran players, creating (let alone maintaining) a long-term community is extremely difficult. 

You get new players who are under the impression they can get all of this with freebuild, which is sadly not the case. It might be something noobs want, but isn't something that they need. Freebuild doesn't keep noobs, roleplay does. 

also inb4 the "if you don't like freebuild you're a braindead moron" comments