[9.0] [Your View] Freebuild

squakhawk

Just now, Gambit said:

Free Build bad. For all the reasons listed above. But a more 'laxed settlement application process? Could be cool.

That's something the team has overall showed an interest in, we haven't delved too much into the topic yet but (personally) this might be what im endorsing. 

I dont belive free build is a bad idea, however i currently see far too many ways people can screw up a good thing. I believe that pastes are tedious however are what we need to work with or perhaps find a way to incorporate both. Limited Creative could be something done In game then needed to be on a waiting list for approval. I also fear quaility of builds will go down, currently the city's look mostly cohesive and all similar in style which is accurate to alot of thing, i worry now we will have mishapen houses with ugly color schems every where you turn.

BUT I DIGRESS, have a good one yall

as someone who spent a lot of time cleaning shitty freebuilds off the map, i think limited freebuild can be great. Granted a lot of builds end in disaster but dedicated groups and new and exciting ideas can easily find a home with freebuild and there are many examples of groups in the past the have overall improved the server because of freebuild

1 minute ago, SquakHawk said:

That's something the team has overall showed an interest in, we haven't delved too much into the topic yet but (personally) this might be what im endorsing. 

I've seen certain rp servers utilize a 'freebuild aspect' but it could be a very laid-back process if you want. Apply for a camp with 3 other players for a low cost and that camp can slowly attempt to grow into a settlement, nation, or anything over time. It would bring huge new rp chances.

Lol at these noobs. Freebuild is great. Their memories are tainted because of bad map design. Freebuild encourages naturally spawning communities, interesting self moderating rp, and noob engagement with the server. My favorite times come from freebuild. Then again, I’m remembering all the way back Anthos. Facing facts simply the reason people don’t like freebuild is because they are worried it will take away from their epic projects of generic human/elf village #999. The issue isn’t freebuild, it’s mapsize. Make the map smaller if you want more centralized roleplay. Don’t just make it so nations are the arbiter of rp like in the past because nation roleplay is dogshit discord politics killing the server slowly. 

build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build build 

Spoiler

Also, could yall make some cool builds like that one cave place thats in West hub around the map, cus that would b an epic place 4 a player event, however i cant do anything there. if there r builds like that pls tell me and i will gladly stfu.

: )

The points about landscars are fair, however if not a free build type structure atleast stop gatekeeping region perms.

Idea:

Claim based freebuild. Players claim a few chunks, either for a small amount of mina, or some other means. This would hopefully be an automated process. These can then be built upon, but if they are inactive for a certain period of time the build will be unclaimed and revert back to the original appearance of the land.

I am fully aware such a concept would be challenge to implement, but this is just a brainstorm.

This would organically get rid of the worst offenders, placing a few blocks and leaving so to speak. It would still allow dedicated player who do not want to play on a settlement to keep some sort of build going. Also works great for temporary camps.

This would also make it easier for moderators to check if builds fit the standards of the server, because it would clearly list build activity, by claimed tiles.

1 minute ago, Sri said:

Idea:

Claim based freebuild. Players claim a few chunks, either for a small amount of mina, or some other means. This would hopefully be an automated process. These can then be built upon, but if they are inactive for a certain period of time the build will be unclaimed and revert back to the original appearance of the land.

I am fully aware such a concept would be challenge to implement, but this is just a brainstorm.

The old ways are based give us claim plots

Edited by Lojo613

I think free build is a good idea, however I think it should be regulated to be to server slandered and fit in with the land around it to make since. I remember with free build maps past it was nice to find a little cottage in the woods however I don't a igloo should be found in the desert. Have players build it on a other world then get a staff member to look at it and give the okay to see if it's okay and will fit with everything where they want to build.

Maybe just modify the tile system in some way so that it's somewhat easier overall for people to acquire land to build on, but it's still under settlements and nations

Freebuild looks terrible and is terrible for creating communities.  No freebuild plz

I’ll throw in my two cents (alas most of them have likely already been mentioned by the time I am done with this). Freebuild is horrible for a few reasons, allow me to list them.

(1) New players especially view freebuild as somewhere to create the community of theirs, and while it’s fantastic that a new player wants to create their own communities: there needs to be a certain level of standard to avoid a thousand Kings across the continent. New players do not fathom this standard of roleplay - this level of progression - and that tends to create small fickle player bases which merely gets memed on. 

(2) Build standard is impossible to enforce in a free build environment. While people are free to build in their own styles, over the last couple of years the standard of builds have increased significantly on LotC. By allowing free build to return to the server, you diminish the advancements which have been made to improve the visual aspects of the server (which imo is extremely important for an RP server nowadays) 

(3) “Clusterfuck building” will become even more of an issue than it already is. More people will move to the free build in desperate attempts to establish the communities of theirs, and so the free build area (or the entire map if allowed to that scale) while becoming a clusterfuck of builds which do not compliment one another nor add to the RP of the server. I recall one of the former maps (uncertain which one) where, due to free building, there was an extremely racist nation placed roughly 30 blocks from an all-accepting ‘Sutica’ like nation: was kinda odd to travel between.  

And (4) leftover builds. Leftover builds are already an issue now. Builds which are left to eternity, just standing there with no community, forgotten to time. To the credit of the ST (and whoever else does this) there has been work to convert these leftover builds to event sites or aesthetic ruins, but this sort of work becomes unmanageable if free build is allowed.

Imo I’d rather see an easier way to obtain a tile or another system which allows smaller communities to flourish after proving worth to whichever team is responsible. Right now, the application process is much too hard, not in that the questions are difficult but the former WT nearly never accepted them (look at the Vasiyeva and the feedback related to that issue). Improving the current system would be much more beneficial than freebuild. 

TLDR: Freebuild sucks. Improve the charter system, make applications for lairs, ect. easier.