[9.0] [Your View] Freebuild

squakhawk

surprised jumper hasnt commented yet

anyways im for freebuild as a separate area like it was in Arcas. Maybe an island that isnt part of the mainland but is fairly large and easy to access with boats and such

Freebuild should not be a thing on things like roads and near settlements. I don't wanna see 1x1 cobblestone towers obscuring the view of some amazing build. Think most people would agree with me on that part

Everyone else already summed up my thoughts I don't want freebuild

good god no. please for the sake of this server do not bring that back. I've seen the free build servers. they're ugly.
I'm sorry but it leaves too much room for people who are, to be frank, garbage builders to build cube houses. 
the way things are now is nice. the uniform look of quality is good and definitely influences player retention positively.  

Furthermore, limited space is also very nice. Almaris, albeit huge, feels like an actual world to explore. Things are consistent, and limited, just like a real continent. No one comes onto LOTC to play on just another lame factions server where you have a giant castle next to a mud house in the shape of a cube.

Everyone else before me has pretty much summed it up. Freebuild might seem fantastic at first but it's detrimental in the long run and horrible for player retention. Plus, with the majority of people vying for a smaller map, land scars will become increasingly noticeable as there will be less space for people to actually freebuild. 

No freebuild at all, ever.

All it will do (and all it ever has done) is turbocharge the ever-inevitable degredation of a new map into a clogged mess saturated by abandoned, half-constructed or unappealing settlements.

let's use jumperhand's idea for freebuild

18 minutes ago, MCVDK said:
Spoiler

I’ll throw in my two cents (alas most of them have likely already been mentioned by the time I am done with this). Freebuild is horrible for a few reasons, allow me to list them.

(1) New players especially view freebuild as somewhere to create the community of theirs, and while it’s fantastic that a new player wants to create their own communities: there needs to be a certain level of standard to avoid a thousand Kings across the continent. New players do not fathom this standard of roleplay - this level of progression - and that tends to create small fickle player bases which merely gets memed on. 

(2) Build standard is impossible to enforce in a free build environment. While people are free to build in their own styles, over the last couple of years the standard of builds have increased significantly on LotC. By allowing free build to return to the server, you diminish the advancements which have been made to improve the visual aspects of the server (which imo is extremely important for an RP server nowadays) 

(3) “Clusterfuck building” will become even more of an issue than it already is. More people will move to the free build in desperate attempts to establish the communities of theirs, and so the free build area (or the entire map if allowed to that scale) while becoming a clusterfuck of builds which do not compliment one another nor add to the RP of the server. I recall one of the former maps (uncertain which one) where, due to free building, there was an extremely racist nation placed roughly 30 blocks from an all-accepting ‘Sutica’ like nation: was kinda odd to travel between.  

And (4) leftover builds. Leftover builds are already an issue now. Builds which are left to eternity, just standing there with no community, forgotten to time. To the credit of the ST (and whoever else does this) there has been work to convert these leftover builds to event sites or aesthetic ruins, but this sort of work becomes unmanageable if free build is allowed.

Imo I’d rather see an easier way to obtain a tile or another system which allows smaller communities to flourish after proving worth to whichever team is responsible. Right now, the application process is much too hard, not in that the questions are difficult but the former WT nearly never accepted them (look at the Vasiyeva and the feedback related to that issue). Improving the current system would be much more beneficial than freebuild. 

TLDR: Freebuild sucks. Improve the charter system, make applications for lairs, ect. easier.

This. I joined in Arcas and immediately found that freebuild was kind of just an abandoned cesspool of unfinished buildings and landscars. There was no benefit to the server overall because of it and I could clearly see that as someone with only a month of playtime. 

I believe a few others said this as well, but I'd like to reinforce the idea of making lairs and smaller settlements much easier to obtain and manage. This would filter out those that aren't ready for such an investment while allowing those that are their chance of starting something new. I also think (without really knowing the details, admittedly) that some form of tent system would be a wonderful addition not only to roadside traveler rp but also adventurer rp which seems to grow more prominent on the server the longer I'm around. 

A huge part about what one RPs is WHERE one RPs. The quality of builds is one thing that sets LOTC up for success. 

pls no freebuild at all

Personally, imma be saying no to free build. Its a somewhat good idea but it will not play out well. 

While some players would enjoy this, and i dont mean to be disrespectful, this supposed group is a minority. The most likely outcome of this will be people abusing the space. Making 'ugly' builds on purpose, griefing other players builds, and overall creating builds which aren't up to standard. Yes this can be moderated but it would be a enormous amount of work for the team having to deal with keeping everything up to standard, and frankly i can’t imagine anyone would be willing to volunteer that much time.  Not to mention the amount of mod requests which would be made over disputes of land and areas used for builds. 

Moving on from the player side of things, from an actual aesthetic point of view this is destined to look ugly unless every single player  intends of using free build collaborates, which simply will not happen. The implement of free build will cause random builds to pop up everywhere with no collaboration, rhyme or reason. the server will begin to look messy and tacky with too many things going on at once in too small of an area. While rp is a priority, and should be, the builds and the looks of an area play into rp is often overlooked, and i believe it is here. People will not want to roleplay in an area that looks disorganised, cluttered, messy and so on. You need a good build for rp to prosper. And again, rp is the important thing here. this runs the risk of stifling that.

Tldr: 
Will look ugly
People wont respect this power 
Will cause a lot more issues and work for staff
may discourage rp

not worth it for the simple fact that itll cause too much divide among players. if freebuild is implemented, it should be in an easily accessible area (unlike the other maps), and a small area at that. just please make the map small. 

TL;DR let people claim plots! 

There should be a compromise that lets players at least start things of their own volition without begging staff or nation leaders. Like, for instance, players could claim small plots of land near the main road in exchange for activity hours, minas, etc. The cost of the land claims can scale polynomially with the number of plots owned so players can organically build out settlements as they get wealthier and more active. Land claims can be limited to areas around roads, major hubs, etc., with the "wilderness" of the map staying untouched.

Nation/settlement oligopoly has made this server absolutely unplayable. Besides it being impossible for me to build a minecraft house on this map, it's shockingly difficult to find more than a few minutes of RP anywhere. Cities are filled with players idling on discord or ERPing, settlements are scattered all over the four corners of the map with 1-2 players in them at any time max. I couldn't think of a worse system for roleplay than the one we have already, which splits the playerbase up into isolated, balkanized cliques of a few to a few dozen players and creates dozens of settlements to decentralize roleplay. 

This server is founded on the idea that any player can, with enough effort and creativity, found his own kingdom, become a legendary warrior or a renowned sorcerer, go on adventures and write their own story. It fails to deliver any of that to the average player. You have to ask permission to place blocks for ****'s sake. This cannot continue if you want this server to be anything more than the digital fiefdom of a few cliques of incredibly sad, bored people.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, MCVDK said:

TLDR: Freebuild sucks. Improve the charter system, make applications for lairs, ect. easier.

21e2d0f701c1593b62a5a42613e10b65.jpg

There is no hope for Lord of the Craft. The cycle continues.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, frankdh said:

tl;dr, as someone who wasted way too much time walking around on Atlas trying to find people, freebuild sucks massive doodoo. splits people up way too much and only feeds into the "there's too many settlements aaa!" issue. don't do it, don't try it. my hands ache just thinking about it

I'm doing the exact same thing now. There are dozens of settlements, nations, lairs, etc. wherever I go, all seemingly abandoned. Nothing has changed but your subjective experience.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, GMRO said:

freebuild sux

we've got enough little settlements that are working fine as is with the leftovers of savoy

yes I very much enjoy rump state barony rp inside a dead nation. you know what I would enjoy more? getting to see another player. building a house. hitting a monster with a sword. a sip of ale in a tavern. anything at all actually

Freebuild Bad,

Charter System Bad,

Embrace the middle, embrace the wildlands in areas where it is found undesirable for nations to settle. Embrace the Arcas System. Compromise is the only solution in this hellhole called LOTC.

1 hour ago, un-w said:

I will say that one of my biggest concerns with freebuild is how it tends to be treated by new players. A player who joins the server was advertised that LOTC is a server where they can build their own empire, become a king, queen, whatever, but when they actually attempt to do such via freebuild, they come to realize how astronomically difficult this is. Even for some veteran players, creating (let alone maintaining) a long-term community is extremely difficult. 

You get new players who are under the impression they can get all of this with freebuild, which is sadly not the case. It might be something noobs want, but isn't something that they need. Freebuild doesn't keep noobs, roleplay does. 

also inb4 the "if you don't like freebuild you're a braindead moron" comments

no you're not a braindead moron because you don't like freebuild

it's because you think a noob wanting to build their own nation would rather not be able to place even a single block??? sorry what???

"damn you admins for fooling me with my blockplacing powers that I could have built an empire! I'd rather have begged to be let build even a hut"???

clowning aside I don't actually think you're stupid; I just think that you, like a lot of people on this server, despise the idea of the little guys having any agency of their own (i.e without having to appeal to nations or staff), and that your attempts to justify your position without admitting that are stupid

18 minutes ago, argonian said:

clowning aside I don't actually think you're stupid; I just think that you, like a lot of people on this server, despise the idea of the little guys having any agency of their own (i.e without having to appeal to nations or staff), and that your attempts to justify your position without admitting that are stupid

he just said it

the fact you have to beg nation leaders to build something so simple, like a farm, is absolutely stupid and unfair