[9.0] [Your View] Freebuild

squakhawk

I'd rather have landscars in a small, populated map than a perfect, untouchable and unpopulated environment in a large map.

Hint: Athera and the Fringe.

35 minutes ago, RMW01 said:

Personally, imma be saying no to free build. Its a somewhat good idea but it will not play out well. 

While some players would enjoy this, and i dont mean to be disrespectful, this supposed group is a minority. The most likely outcome of this will be people abusing the space. Making 'ugly' builds on purpose, griefing other players builds, and overall creating builds which aren't up to standard. Yes this can be moderated but it would be a enormous amount of work for the team having to deal with keeping everything up to standard, and frankly i can’t imagine anyone would be willing to volunteer that much time.  Not to mention the amount of mod requests which would be made over disputes of land and areas used for builds. 

Moving on from the player side of things, from an actual aesthetic point of view this is destined to look ugly unless every single player  intends of using free build collaborates, which simply will not happen. The implement of free build will cause random builds to pop up everywhere with no collaboration, rhyme or reason. the server will begin to look messy and tacky with too many things going on at once in too small of an area. While rp is a priority, and should be, the builds and the looks of an area play into rp is often overlooked, and i believe it is here. People will not want to roleplay in an area that looks disorganised, cluttered, messy and so on. You need a good build for rp to prosper. And again, rp is the important thing here. this runs the risk of stifling that.

Tldr: 
Will look ugly
People wont respect this power 
Will cause a lot more issues and work for staff
may discourage rp

Nobody who argues in favor for freebuild argues that it's about the builds looking better than the alternatives. That never has and never should be the point of freebuild. You can fly around an old map and find freebuild builds that look worse than builds on Almaris, of course, but that's to be expected. A build made by hand in survival mode without unlimited resources will not look as good as builds pasted in from creative build servers, no **** sherlock.

Freebuild is about the process. It is about settlements starting up without a mastermind organizing it all and prime regions attracting settlement naturally over time. You cannot have a perfect settlement spot be in freebuild without a Belvitz-like settlement popping up there, such is the nature of freebuild. Freebuild escapes the meta-OOC Civ 6 game of tile and nation management, discord messaging, etc and just lets you change and impact the world around you much easier. That is why people advocate for it. Games with fully fleshed out and designed pre-built worlds will always look better than pure sandbox games, yet people still play and enjoy sandbox games all the time. Freebuild is a sandbox, and that is why there are people who like it.

I have been and always will be pro-Freebuild simply due to how I play LOTC. I love building. I love exploring things that other people have built. I love watching the world change around me over time in ways I can't predict, with new things to discover around every corner. Freebuild just hits that spot for me. Yes, freebuild doesn't always look perfect. Yes, freebuild makes it harder to cram players into cities and spam discord pings at them to log online for tavern events. People who want freebuild don't play LOTC just for those things, however.

I want LOTC to be a sandbox because that is how I personally wish to play LOTC.

1 minute ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Nobody who argues in favor for freebuild argues that it's about the builds looking better than the alternatives. That never has and never should be the point of freebuild. You can fly around an old map and find freebuild builds that look worse than builds on Almaris, of course, but that's to be expected. A build made by hand in survival mode without unlimited resources will not look as good as builds pasted in from creative build servers, no **** sherlock.

Freebuild is about the process. It is about settlements starting up without a mastermind organizing it all and prime regions attracting settlement naturally over time. You cannot have a perfect settlement spot be in freebuild without a Belvitz-like settlement popping up there, such is the nature of freebuild. Freebuild escapes the meta-OOC Civ 6 game of tile and nation management, discord messaging, etc and just lets you change and impact the world around you much easier. That is why people advocate for it. Games with fully fleshed out and designed pre-built worlds will always look better than pure sandbox games, yet people still play and enjoy sandbox games all the time. Freebuild is a sandbox, and that is why there are people who like it.

I have been and always will be pro-Freebuild simply due to how I play LOTC. I love building. I love exploring things that other people have built. I love watching the world change around me over time in ways I can't predict, with new things to discover around every corner. Freebuild just hits that spot for me. Yes, freebuild doesn't always look perfect. Yes, freebuild makes it harder to cram players into cities and spam discord pings at them to log online for tavern events. People who want freebuild don't play LOTC just for those things, however.

I want LOTC to be a sandbox because that is how I personally wish to play LOTC.

Hey, you know that if Freebuild is unpopular enough it's going to be implemented. At least, that used to be the choice process actuated in the past.

Free build imo is a hard no without explicit approval and evaluation of builds and buildstyles beforehand. Arcas produced some lovely free builds but also some Goddarn hideous ones that looked like they were pulled straight from a vanilla survival/factions server.

don’t let bad builders build freely. Find a balance between Atlas and Almaris.

I can’t go back

I can’t 

No more landscape, I beg.

1 minute ago, Moribundity said:

Hello there. We here admins of LOTC have heard your pleas and thus 9.0 will be a massive void with no ground to stand on.

Landscapes will finally be removed from LOTC

unknown.png

10 minutes ago, Moribundity said:

Free build imo is a hard no without explicit approval and evaluation of builds and buildstyles beforehand. Arcas produced some lovely free builds but also some Goddarn hideous ones that looked like they were pulled straight from a vanilla survival/factions server.

don’t let bad builders build freely. Find a balance between Atlas and Almaris.

I can’t go back

I can’t 

since you wrote this you have to build something and we will evaluate it. you have 72 hours. thanks.

While I agree with the opinions of others, that any form of freebuild that allows for large builds would not be beneficial, but instead harmful, I do think a minor form of freebuild could be very useful.

My suggestion would be a form of "freebuild" that allows players to build minor structures within areas of land that are uninhabited on the map. These builds can be kept to a certain size by restricting the area in which one can build via a plugin similar to claim plugins on SMP-style servers. I personally think the builds should be kept to a maximum of 1 chuck, if not smaller, allowing for people to create builds that give more depth to the server, such as religious and cultural shrines sprinkled throughout the world, while also making it impossible for people to develop large builds or settlements via freebuild. Whenever creating one of these minor builds, it can be required that a ticket be made to a certain group of staff(perhaps Story Build Team) for the build to later be reviewed as the staff team has time and either be approved, deleted due to low quality, or modified to fit build standards. This form of freebuild could also make it easier for communities to host player-led events in unoccupied areas of the map, by allowing for event hosts to make minor edits to terrain for event uses. The goal of the structures built via freebuild would not be for permanent roleplay of a small group, but instead, locations to help foster temporary or periodic roleplay for a larger community.

James, Monkeypoacher and Adam have hit the nail on the head.

Maybe not 'freebuild', but at least making it a lot easier to get an independent plot of land, lowering the amount of land nations start with at the start of maps, making tiles SUBSTANTIALLY smaller, like, a dozen chunks big and placed to go along natural borders (forests, mountains, hills, rivers), and implementing LC, and/or Arcas style resource pits is a good step in the right direction... direction of what, you may ask? To combat the ooc idea of 'nations' and 'nation leaders' that's being made worse via plugins, rules, et cetera.

No to freebuild for reasons already mentioned. Though for a middle ground that's similar to tents, paying a few minas to temporarily get a 10x10 (or smaller) plot in unclaimed land would be a blessing for player events.

No thank, I do not want or need freebuild. 

Charter systems should be done away with as well. The only method one should use to acquire land is through RP with Nations. 

I like freebuild

but I'd have no motivation

lacking my resource island

for my resources are

lacking in depth

when gathering logs

for my beautiful cottage

in the middle

of buttfuck nowhere

with nobody around

but me and my cows.

3 hours ago, argonian said:

it's because you think a noob wanting to build their own nation would rather not be able to place even a single block??? sorry what???

"damn you admins for fooling me with my blockplacing powers that I could have built an empire! I'd rather have begged to be let build even a hut"???

whether or not a noob acquires land via freebuild or RO bootlicking doesn't change the outcome

>noobs goes into freebuild
>builds for a few days
>realizes they can't form the community they want 
>quits

>noob manages to acquire permission from an RO to build on nation land
>builds for a few days
>realizes they cant form the community they want
>quits

the whole "if you don't want freebuild you're just a nation-loving bootlicking shill" argument couldn't be further from the truth. not every single person who doesn't like freebuild is an advocate for nation rp. nations are shit and will always be shit for the server but the classic unmoderated freebuild many people want does more harm than good

just give us plots

Here's the compromise that I've heard interest in: Nations allow tiles on their area to be free build for a group of players that requests it. It doesn't drag away from nation activity and retention because it's still on their tile, as well as is then on the nations to allow free build and retain an air of semi-professionalism when it comes to builds. I remember Atlas and if you weren't in a specific nation you'd be in the middle of nowhere with your unofficial own one-person nation I would prefer to stay away from that.

Simplified version of my suggestion:

The Wildlands would be a certain distance away from any nation or settlements claims and would reset weekly (or monthly), this would allow people to make temporary camps or shrines. This combined with making it easier to make settlements should scratch the itch people have for free-build.

i suck at building, please give me the ability to build wherever i want

final vote: freebingus bad