Rules Update - CRP

squakhawk

didn't lost fables try this.. and didn't it make every single encounter on that server unbelievably tedious and hours long for the simplest things. All people do is continue to run 8 blocks per turn until a mod forces pvp and then you just get away.

6 minutes ago, bickando said:

can we just go back to defender default

Its an RP server not a Factions Server.

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

9) Combat is considered “Locked” 10 minutes after the beginning of combat, preventing others from joining unless both sides agree. 

7) You may not relay messages to characters outside of shout range in combat. This means the use of couriers, messenger birds and other forms of long distance communication are prohibited. 

6) You may only say one sentence (approximately fifteen words) of speech in character per emote whilst combat is ongoing. 

8) When a character leaves a combat scenario they are unable to return until the ongoing combat has been concluded, as agreed by both sides, nor may they leave and rally others to join the combat roleplay they were not otherwise present for. Exceptions can be made to this if both sides agree. 

These are nonsensical to me especially with the new implementation of aviaries to prevent meta rallying. What happens if you see a group of bandits on the roads and go run to tell your friends in the capital and you have to use a bird with the new aviary plug in to rally other nations to help during raids or warn people there are bandits on the roads? (Especially if for instance lets say you do get locked into combat after they come into the nation somehow at your final emote of the bird). 

As for the "locked" that is absolutely ridiculous for if youre getting attacked in a nations square where realistically there is a flow of people that would join into defend, especially when there is a good chunk of people that take 5+ minutes to emote a triple appended combat emote. That would result in only to have one turn from each person. I understand about being in the middle of no where if someone comes up, but at that point it would just be blatant meta. If someone is being attacked on a main road or nation capital, then does that mean a stranger cannot come to help? Along with that what about rallying for now uncapped raids to both of these new rules?

The word count is quite silly for speech, not sure of the logic on that.

As for the rest of the rules, these are quite good especially with the fall damage and mount running distance.

Make it pvp default, ez 

But some of these new rules just makes me want to avoid conflict related to crp as whole.

5 minutes ago, VoxyNoir said:

Make it pvp default, ez 

But some of these new rules just makes me want to avoid conflict related to crp as whole.

honor crp still exists

the lengthy monologue and stall is OVER

9 minutes ago, Cepheid said:

As for the "locked" that is absolutely ridiculous for if youre getting attacked in a nations square where realistically there is a flow of people that would join into defend, especially when there is a good chunk of people that take 5+ minutes to emote a triple appended combat emote. That would result in only to have one turn from each person. I understand about being in the middle of no where if someone comes up, but at that point it would just be blatant meta. If someone is being attacked on a main road or nation capital, then does that mean a stranger cannot come to help? Along with that what about rallying for now uncapped raids to both of these new rules?

Is ten minutes not enough time for somebody in the city to notice the combat and join so? I'm curious as to how the timeframe lines up

With the inverse, what about trying to perform crp, or villainy of somekind, and you enter combat with one person. Someone stumbles upon them a good deal in, and afterward goes to inform others or calls in for others to join, well after it's started- thus prolonging it and heavily disfavouring attackers

If in a nation's square, and Combat cannot be addressed within ten minutes, how does this differ from say, Mechanical PVP which doesn't have a time limit on engagement, and is over much quicker? If combat cannot be addressed within ten minutes, what's to stop people from continuously joining just because they 'happened' upon it?

This isn't primarily to prevent metagaming or birding, it's simply to balance combat from becoming an infinite match of people stumbling in, making the initial combatants completely unrecognizable from who may come later.

Just picking your brain and getting your thoughts, not against the opinion or idea of change I just want to reason your logic against that of these rules

1 hour ago, ReveredOwl said:

Absolutely ridiculous, what are guards, for example, supposed to do if they see people fighting 11 minutes after it started? Just pretend its not happening? If you're going to allow for uncapped raids all you're gonna have are the raiders forcing pvp as quickly as they can so they don't have a sizable force against them. Dumb.

Ferrymen waited 45 mins for Oren to gather a decent rally yesterday. Idk what you’re on about.

I feel as though the rules listed above are fine.

10 minutes is a perfectly normal and long timeframe for people to rally and join combat. It's hilarious, because most people rally and join combat before 10 minutes -- they usually join a VC and screech down their metagaming gerbil and everyone rushes in five minutes in, and the other five minutes are from one party calling in moderators to scream metarally.

I also believe that once you leave a combat encounter, it is good you cannot rejoin. It makes no sense that a player who is in an encounter can leave, run around spastically past the block limit in place for CRP (sometimes doing marathons across nations) to rally and return with twenty odd people. 

The rules seem fine. If it takes guards more than 10 minutes to hop on and join, just get a more diverse playerbase.

Also, the speech limit is something I enjoy the most, because communication is one of the more vital parts of combat, and I sometimes find it unfair that I have people instantly spamming "HES SWINGING FROM BEHIND YOU" without any emote-limits in order to give heads-up to people getting attacked, so they can emote "*hears the command and so he knew the swing was coming from behind, so he dodges*" and all that bollocks.

Thanks for the new additions @SquakHawk

+1 from me, only comment of actual use is I would suggest changing the time from 10 minutes, to 15. But that's just a personal opinion if anything. Otherwise, I'm happy with these rules, it will make doing villainy a lot more realistic and fun. Considering a lot of the encounters, on a ooc level are happening hours, but irply that stuff is taking minutes at most. 

53 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

snip

I personally don't think its enough time, writing for some people takes a while especially when it comes to CRP and figuring out a proper response to lets say someone attacking with magic you've never seen before, or if its in the back of the city and someone just happens to stumble across it while running around and its also just weaning off of a nation's quiet hours. Suddenly they cannot join in just because it's been now 15 minutes since its started even if it's been only lets say two or three turns at most of combat. 

To both of those things that is a heavy risk with attacking people in a city, that's something that should be addressed with rules against stalling rather than a time limit on joining combat. The point of PVP is for it to be over quickly and does not require you to do writing, along with implementation of mechanical aspects of rp servers in general and once a certain amount of people has been reached that you generally in the past have had options to call pvp to prevent more people from joining and it being impossible to finish. I know of many people with writing disabilities or that are not completely fluent in english use this server to get better at learning the language and/or writing and it takes them a while to articulate their words fluently since they are still practicing and learning. 

Personally, I would suggest to address those concerns a cap on the amount of defenders that can come in after 15 minutes unless it is a raid happening. That way for magics and players that require villainy for their rp (with crp), for example vampires that are required to eat people to play their characters and it has to be emoted, have a fair advantage and it does not feel like it is punishing defenders for help coming their way. For example, let's say there is a newish player on the server and a corcitura decides to target them down an alleyway/road of a city that is frequented. Someone walks by around 15-20 minutes and sees an emote goes "oh no theres a vampire drinking some poor noob", emotes seeing it and isn't stopped as they run away to the bell or aviary 20ish blocks away.They should be allowed to do that. Realistically it could take that new player a few minutes to properly understand how to react to that villainy and respond in crp and that other person also would take a few minutes to rally people. But, in order to ensure that it is fair to the vampire player they should not instantly be rushed by an onslaught of 20 people  therefore there is a cap of lets say 5-8 defenders that answer the witness's bell ring or bird to a nearby settlement. Where as if there was quite a few people in the square and they shouted the instance they were attacked, it would make sense that they are able to have an uncapped ammount of defenders.
Unless, it is a raid that is going on, it doesn't seem fair to the defenders if there's a raid at lets say midnight and you aren't able to rally as many people in a short amount of time. Therefore you wouldn't have that scenario you mentioned of it being able to be handled in ten minutes and it would take longer. That way it would be much more fair to both crpers and pvpers/raiders alike since that is what these rules are seeking to accomplish in my opinion at least. Especially when it comes to being attacked at off hours

there goes my 80 minute combat monologues