Rules Update - CRP

squakhawk

6 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Shame this system was run into the ground because pvping people 'of a certain type' translated to pvping anyone with any form of advantage, making roleplay redundant to conflict :/

The purpose behind these rules is quite clearly to make roleplay combat more realistic and in turn encourage more people to actually bother taking realistic narrative factors into account with their combat roleplay. Advocating PVP doesn't offer any sort of solution to that problem other than throwing your hands up and deciding that you'd rather have an OOC clicking contest than tell a long term story in our shared roleplaying community. I genuinely believe that people's attitudes can and will improve over time toward good faith where staff involvement is less and less necessary, and these rules seem to be a step in the right direction, wherein PVPs only real merit is for time saving in larger groups (which is still a thing and isn't realistically going to ever go away so long as we have war on this server).

I don't think these rules are perfect, and in my heart of hearts I doubt there ever will be a perfect CRP system, but shitposting with clown gifs and advocating OOC combat isn't really contributing much to the discussion on how we can foster an ideal roleplay environment.

PVP stinky.

the length of these rules is enough to convince me they're bad

you'd think after 11 years that Minecraft's #1 premium roleplay experience would learn that less is more, but alas. maybe next year

1 hour ago, argonian said:

you'd think after 11 years that Minecraft's #1 premium roleplay experience would learn that less is more, but alas. maybe next year

this is why I don't log in anymore, less is more

1 minute ago, ScreamingDingo said:

this is why I don't log in anymore, less is more

i'd /seen u but that'd break my un'/seen'able streak

still, you are literally Story Team Hitler so I don't believe a word you say

2 minutes ago, argonian said:

i'd /seen u but that'd break my un'/seen'able streak

still, you are literally Story Team Hitler so I don't believe a word you say

d77018073f53c450b275a50071ef19f0051c8f05

7 hours ago, PapaCaliente said:

I get people dislike the change with the word count for speech, but if you really think about it when you're doing extensive physical activity like fighting you ain't gonna be talking. You wouldn't be in a hard fight singing sea shanties, you'd be focused on the fight. And given if you kept talking, you'd run out of gas faster and run out of breath. Talking while fighting also opens up more possibilities to bite your tongue off, and you know what happens when you do that? blood. lots of blood. then death.

And yeah, reading someone's attack emote but also having to cycle through a ton of dialogue as well as a essay as to how they are doing a horizontal slash from left to right is kinda dumb

I don't think anyone's saying it doesn't make sense; rather, it's silly to regulate.

Clauses like speech limit - which in no way effect the actual fight - just oversaturate the already muddy rules to make it just incomprehensible. Regulating every little thing won't make CRP better, and the ST definitely shouldn't be involved in regulating inconsequential details of how players interact.

Staff should also work on a rule to stop people from spam-emoting dodging, given that's what mostly makes CRP a shit show.

After all, dodging swings, especially in armor, isn't realistic at all - just look up IRL duels with medieval weapons, they simply go too fast.

If you are within reach, you either block or get hit, cus a weapon swings faster than your arms move, and your arms move faster than your legs, which move faster than the rest of your body.

I proposed a rule to solve this , dunno if it was ever reviewed tho...

11 hours ago, Xarkly said:

Clauses like speech limit - which in no way effect the actual fight - just oversaturate the already muddy rules to make it just incomprehensible.

Perhaps you are unaware, but speaking is certainly a problem and I know plenty of people (myself included) who have been involved in numerous crp battles where people have entire conversations and spammed all that they know about certain CAs to their friends in order to gain the upper hand. It makes no sense why someone running and swinging their sword can recite an entire lore paragraph about a CA and all of its weaknesses or relay entire battle plans. This simply encourages planning ahead and not instantly jumping into combat if you want to talk to someone or understand their motives.

1 hour ago, BobBox said:

Perhaps you are unaware, but speaking is certainly a problem and I know plenty of people (myself included) who have been involved in numerous crp battles where people have entire conversations and spammed all that they know about certain CAs to their friends in order to gain the upper hand. It makes no sense why someone running and swinging their sword can recite an entire lore paragraph about a CA and all of its weaknesses or relay entire battle plans. This simply encourages planning ahead and not instantly jumping into combat if you want to talk to someone or understand their motives.

It's still pointless because that same objective can be achieved, though. I can still say "stab with XYZ material" in 15 words to achieve that exact purpose, so putting some arbitrary realism cap on oversaturated CRP rules just makes it more incomprehensible and difficult to approach. 

Word limit is super goofy. Also gotta agree with mordu's point

I miss the days when we didn't have to reference a list of rules in the middle of combat to micromanage our RP. I understand the point of all the CRP rules; some people act ridiculous in combat and these rules are intended to nerf that ease of ability. I'm sure this helps cut down on the amount of ridiculousness that happens in CRP, but no amount of rules is going to stop a powergamer. They just make it tedious for responsible RPers to engage in this form of storywriting.

Is there an option between two parties in combat (probably only in 1v1s or small fights) where they can agree to ignore the miscellany and instead just trust each other to have a fun fight? Or can we just go back to defender default where the defender can decide either a) PVP, b) honor based CRP with all the rules, or c) old fashioned CRP based in mutual trust and storywriting? Otherwise, it really sucks when players who don't enjoy CRP are attacked and then have to reference the rules list to make sure we're staying within the limits and RPing all this correctly.

lol you guys really need to learn to return to form, it's not too hard and you don't need to make a billion stupid rules.

More rules, more problems.. combat on this server has needed to be simplified for over a decade. The more you add to the list of rules, the more often players will have to break character to acknowledge them. (Or get into disputes over them.)

The rules should be clear, concise and at most 15-20 lines long. If people can't come to a conclusion in combat they should leave eachother be. If a player routinely becomes a problem or uses this policy to avoid conflict at the benefit of their character that would fall under power-gaming.

Make things clear, give players some autonomy and lead by example. (Please!)

5 hours ago, shiftnative said:

More rules, more problems.. combat on this server has needed to be simplified for over a decade. The more you add to the list of rules, the more often players will have to break character to acknowledge them. (Or get into disputes over them.)

The rules should be clear, concise and at most 15-20 lines long. If people can't come to a conclusion in combat they should leave eachother be. If a player routinely becomes a problem or uses this policy to avoid conflict at the benefit of their character that would fall under power-gaming.

Listen to this man

10 hours ago, shiftnative said:

💖