Can't take this anymore, I'm leaving.

Shiredom

🛏️

1 hour ago, Abyssus said:

any tips for ignoring st and moderation?

I, for one, tend to appreciate a good bourbon. 

2 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

If you aren't satisfied by this then you should question whether you're actually interested in storytelling or just want to be a Fantasy Cop who relishes in meting out punishment for roleplay crime.

God damn best take in the thread so far

This is all very silly. I feel like the solution is simple. 

Your character is a permanent race that you do not like  --- > Make a new character? 

The bigger issue/question is the peer pressure to play the CA. I think this is where your frustration should lie. 

I agree with the notion that strict server rules can often lead to a worse overall player experience. However, this is a scenario where I feel the player can remedy the solution quite easily on their own. 

Had enough with lotc gang gang. We twinning 

5 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

I don't see how? I can see how the outburst could get a little annoying but I don't get why breaking the lore is such an incredible crime

I promise no one actually thinks people who break lore or powergame in minecraft or whatever are evil scumbags irl and that's most certainly not the case here

If someone doesn't want to roleplay something, they should be allowed not to, as long as they can make sure it doesn't disrupt other people's storylines too much.

That's exactly how it is though? There isn't a single CA, FA, or MA on the server that can be forced upon someone OOCly even in cases where it's forced RPly. Other characters can perform entire rituals on you to transform your character into some horrible eldritch monster RPly, but if you don't want to OOCly, you can literally just say no as long as there's a consent clause in the lore. There are tens of CAs, MAs, and FAs that have this OOC consent clause.

It's an entirely different story when someone willingly does the roleplay of acquiring their CA, willingly submits an app, and willingly roleplays their RP changes for months after. Players who do such do it of their own volition and consent to the consequences of the roleplay, and if there's a genuine case where someone is OOCly forced, threatened, or pressured into pursuing something, then there's certainly a possibility to discuss the issue with management.

I'm saying the lore team should just make an explanation.

If the ST wrote amendments/additions for every single player who wanted a reversion process for their character, we'd be seeing pieces that contradict literal irl years worth of canon lore. It's cheap "I should be able to do this even if it makes zero sense to anything this server has ever known in the last 10 years of its existence, just because I want to" behavior, and it's absolutely not something that should be encouraged. 

Like soul said, you don't join an RP server and choose to follow the rules that favor you and ignore the ones that don't, and furthermore ask that the rules be altered to benefit yourself just because you want them to. On top of that, the whole "it's just minecraft why are you taking it so seriously" thing is just a lazy way to excuse people getting away with things they shouldn't be doing.

50 minutes ago, un-w said:

That's exactly how it is though? There isn't a single CA, FA, or MA on the server that can be forced upon someone OOCly even in cases where it's forced RPly. Other characters can perform entire rituals on you to transform your character into some horrible eldritch monster RPly, but if you don't want to OOCly, you can literally just say no as long as there's a consent clause in the lore. There are tens of CAs, MAs, and FAs that have this OOC consent clause.

It's an entirely different story when someone willingly does the roleplay of acquiring their CA, willingly submits an app, and willingly roleplays their RP changes for months after. Players who do such do it of their own volition and consent to the consequences of the roleplay, and if there's a genuine case where someone is OOCly forced, threatened, or pressured into pursuing something, then there's certainly a possibility to discuss the issue with management.

I didn't mention anyone being forced, coerced etc. into roleplaying anything before the fact. I very specifically mentioned this in the case of someone willingly submitting to roleplay and then finding out later that they don't enjoy the outcome. I suggested that the player should be allowed to find an RP way to change their character from a CA race back to their original race, because I think we should be able to creatively solve problems with our own lore. I want to make this clear because I was arguing specifically against the idea that players should be stuck in a permanent transformation "because the lore says so." The lore exists to serve our purposes, not the other way around.

If the ST wrote amendments/additions for every single player who wanted a reversion process for their character, we'd be seeing pieces that contradict literal irl years worth of canon lore. It's cheap "I should be able to do this even if it makes zero sense to anything this server has ever known in the last 10 years of its existence, just because I want to" behavior, and it's absolutely not something that should be encouraged. 

The consistency of the lore over its "literal irl years" worth of canon just isn't as important as you think it is. Mostly because lore on this server is frequently inconsistent. It is rewritten and retconned in and out of existence constantly. I would think some flexibility for revisions/additions to lore would be good because it could avoid the sort of destructive rewriting/shelving that outright deletes entire groups of characters. If you have to add a potion/ritual that turns a plant person back into a normal person, what is the actual harm? Can you explain to me concisely what would prevent you from doing that?

As an aside, you haven't even been here for for 10 years. I've been here for like 9 maybe. None of this lore even existed then. When I joined elves used sugar as an aphrodisiac, dwarves couldn't use magic, and golden apples erased your memory. There is no consistent throughline of canon from 2012 to now. The best current lore can do is make vague allusions to things that happened a long time ago, but the menial redlines and trivia have largely been lost. Just contradict the lore, dude, it doesn't matter. Be creative.

I'm not even going to pretend that I am an expert in whatever made up lore is involved in this case. If this character underwent some kind of magical transformation to turn into a plant they should be able to find a magic spell/ritual to reverse the transformation. If they were cursed, they should be able to complete a task to break the curse. The fact that they apparently can't do this through any legitimate means in the lore is a huge failure of imagination. It's roleplay for ****'s sake! Make something up!

Like soul said, you don't join an RP server and choose to follow the rules that favor you and ignore the ones that don't, and furthermore ask that the rules be altered to benefit yourself just because you want them to. On top of that, the whole "it's just minecraft why are you taking it so seriously" thing is just a lazy way to excuse people getting away with things they shouldn't be doing.

Again, I have no idea where you're getting this idea from, besides your own insistence to be a punitive edgelord? This person had their character turn into some sort of plant creature, got soured on that roleplay, and wanted to find a way for to go back to what they were. I don't see where they stand to benefit unfairly, what rules are being broken/altered, or even what rules existed to begin with. None of this is as clear as you think it is.

This player decided that it was easier to try and get blacklisted from playing CAs than working with you guys to find a roleplay reason to change back. From my perspective, that looks like a tremendous failure on your part. This is all ******* magic and shit. None of it "makes sense" to begin with. Come up with something. You have special PEX and privileges just to be creative and help players navigate the lore, and you're telling me how narrow your imagination is and how you would rather do anything but that.

if somebody (no matter how obnoxious they act) wants to no longer be half-melon half-man, i say you just let them sequester their melon essence into a vial and turn somebody else into a melon-head on purpose to escape their curse

then they can swallow their golden apple, forget it, and snort some quartz dust and do the Macarena 

Again, I have no idea where you're getting this idea from, besides your own insistence to be a punitive edgelord?

Because the entire basis of your argument is grounded on shilling for someone who has proven to be repeatedly and needlessly problematic

I don't see where they stand to benefit unfairly, what rules are being broken/altered, or even what rules existed to begin with. None of this is as clear as you think it is.

unknown.png

It's not a privilege that's afforded to literally any other group, race, or magic on the server. That's where anyone would benefit unfairly. This isn't a serverwide problem where there are swathes of people who want to find ways to revert their CAs or FAs. Players who get bored of CAs or FAs either shelf or PK the character, it's that simple. This is a character attachment issue, not a lore issue. Most players don't go through hell and back trying to loophole, go behind the team's back knowingly, and furthermore make a victimizing post as if the punishment received is the most ridiculous thing in the world

This player decided that it was easier to try and get blacklisted from playing CAs than working with you guys to find a roleplay reason to change back. From my perspective, that looks like a tremendous failure on your part. 

A person getting lore infractioned and banned after repeated offenses and warnings is our own "failure?" It's honestly amazing how people who hate the ST will come up with some of the most pathetic straw-grasping excuses in the world if it means blaming them for something

I know that you hate the ST but please realize that it's not our job to cater to every single person who gets so attached to their character that they're willing to take bans, lore blacklists, and otherwise remove any possibility they have for doing anything interesting in order to make them a normal person again. I can't think of a single player who has went to such an extent in my 6 years on the server

If you actually think that's a normal, reasonable way to handle it then I can't do anything to make you feel better about this

You deserve the ban ngl. If your character received the ephytet or epipen or whatever ca once you need to remove that curse irp. It is power gaming to say “oh my persona is not a ca anymore because I didn’t like it” you need to revert back irp’ly. If it is possible of course

On 6/9/2022 at 3:52 AM, un-w said:

Because the entire basis of your argument is grounded on shilling for someone who has proven to be repeatedly and needlessly problematic.

There. It would have saved both of us a lot of words if you just admitted this outright instead of making nonsense abstract arguments about "10 years" of LoTC canon. You don't like this person, you find what they're doing is frustrating and obnoxious. I empathize. But they are also younger than you, newer to the server to you, and just as much a part of this community as you are. 

And yes, I shill for everyone. That is what I do. 

I don't hate you, nor do I hate the ST. Is the ST frequently wrong, do they write frustrating and self-contradictory arguments, and does their attitude tend to get stuck in my throat? Yeah. But do I hate them? Do I go out of my way to make "straw-grasping excuses" to defame them? 

I don't. There are ST I have no problem hanging out with, there are ST whose writing I personally admire. And then there are ST who I find abrasive, edgy, and unimaginative, who log onto this forum to poke fun at new players and smugpost about their own authority as Arbiters of Good Fantasy Writing. I think these people would be better suited to write their own original fiction rather than lore for a roleplaying community which already has serious issues with new players fitting in and finding a creative voice. 

But I can tell you that the worst I am doing is playing devil's advocate for a person who really hasn't done anything but be kind of annoying to you for a couple days. I am suggesting ways that you could make this whole situation and the headache that comes with it go away without having to do much more than creatively apply server lore. It really is not that deep.

If you actually think that's a normal, reasonable way to handle it then I can't do anything to make you feel better about this

But the bright side is I don't really need to feel better about it. You would be much happier in the long run if you let people on this server, even people you find personally distasteful, have agency over their own roleplay and characters. This is a big server. Some people get really attached to their characters. I don't, and you don't, apparently, but the idea that you don't have to "cater to them" is a problem. It reflects very poorly on this community that people think this.

This is a fantasy roleplaying sandbox. It inherently meant to cater to everyone's creativity - not just yours, and not just those of people who think like you. I hope you can at least understand that.

Bruh, let him just undo it, move on. Who gives a shit, threats and bans because someone don't wanna play a damn plant is pathetic.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, NeosFavGremlin said:

Anyway, I don't care anymore, so ask me anything.

Yeah? who did you report then?