Virvyn's Wager

e25w8F9Q9z35-q4L5YORjEBSMjXYct2iFO7NMFF-ghklDV9avuSZkKcN34PJTkqfEpYxWUAEhxBsEbk8xqv787c5s3E9SJ0ErSZ-xJaV7NADRYrtVNmHx3BkED58hOLQOfMGa0cka0-Fz4b9

Basilica of the Intercession of Saint Ottomar in Fausten, 1870

((Beauvais Cathedral, Colin Campbell Cooper))

[!] A letter bearing the Alstreim seal, from one Calliope Renata, is delivered to a fellow academic of the Royal Salvian Academy of Saint Ottomar, Fr. Leopold of Reinmar, via the Salvian Fleet. A copy of the letter soon finds its way to Almarian Reinmar, as well.

@kipps

IDj2vUJPWPDKXU3OYrccUwwjVjhYf-Hq1Y6wm1zQRtFE4gqIuHB_1r75OXFqSIoN6FVkQrAC3WluZFbNYOZuJmoZiwYD_oVNiqUu2sbs6zfVnY78S3Kqr8dWL6vQsGqRBeYTx5oo86u4S9ae

To the Reverend Father Leopold of Reinmar, greetings;

Calliope the Maiden, in service to the King of Kings and His Prophet Horen, our Father, informs you of her good tidings in the Realm of Almaris and of the ardent continuation of her holy mission to interpret and translate the numerous tracts and parables of the Rex Perpetuus.

Provided alongside this note for the consideration of the Royal Academy is a sanctioned Common translation of the known parable of Virvyn’s wager, detailing a presumably truthful exchange between the Governor-and-Syndic of Atheran Salvus, Virvyn Verethi, and Saint Ottomar in his mortal tenure, assumed to have taken place in the 1788th Year of our Lord. I have taken the liberty of preserving its original intent and meaning in Waldenian through a thirteen-syllable poem.

I commend you to God so that He may watch over you, if it so pleases Him.

yYc7Vdg9YdRmTosz85rcMHfS9VxL8Ew61w1CdKxzVY2oqi9pVSqJooh69o3GFKtQ4gRJL8kA4h-zCQ0oG0J_SHZni6jTTgR5JvrUMSZ3cGUK0cNmrBNhtKsfp0y9z61-pMTEdDdm9GDVg72C

IDj2vUJPWPDKXU3OYrccUwwjVjhYf-Hq1Y6wm1zQRtFE4gqIuHB_1r75OXFqSIoN6FVkQrAC3WluZFbNYOZuJmoZiwYD_oVNiqUu2sbs6zfVnY78S3Kqr8dWL6vQsGqRBeYTx5oo86u4S9ae

Virvyn’s Wager

The Salvian lord rushed to meet the wizened Child-Prince,

“Alas, Your Highness, we are lost!” he cried to convince:

“The brain-rot has claimed your minister of coin, I fear,

He screams like an ape and beats his chest for all to hear.”

Hearing this, Prince Ottomar said: “Fear not. I’ve a cure:

It will take but a minute - I bet ten florins pure.”

Yet unconvinced, and eager to earn some easy gold,

The governor showed his Prince that minister as told.

The Prince came to speak quietly with the would-be ape:

In a second his screeching ceased, his mouth left agape.

The governor cried: “Fie! I’ve lost ten gold coins. I know

Not how he was cured. Was his affliction just for show?”

“It was indeed, good governor.” The Prince waved his hand.

“I spoke in Raev, the apes’ tongue - he could not understand!”

As the RSS Victory of Ceru docks on the southern shores of Almaris, an envoy is sent out to Calliope Renata. The young boy arrives, tired of his journey, he leans on his knees whilst panting heavily. He raises his boney hand towards Calliope, within it a letter bearing the seal of Barclay. "Father Leo told me to deliver this with haste" the boy murmured whilst catching his breath.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the Honourable Fraulein Calliope Renata von Alstreim , greetings;

Father Leopold Barclay von Reinmar, bound by oath to serve our Holy Father and His Flock until death, has recieved your letter with great delight. Your progress in translating the Rex Perpetus is truly commendable. The knowledge barred behind our beautiful but inaccessible language should be barred no more for all the peoples of our Flock. 

The Royal Academy of St. Ottomar is thoroughly impressed by your work. I will demand the rector allocate a bigger share of florins to your mission. We await more of your works.

DA DEUS FORTUNAE

Fr. Leopold of Reinmar FSSW

PS. Besides the obvious truth spoken by our Majesty in Perpetuity, the parable also struck me as exceptionally funny.

Edited by kipps