1.8 v 1.9

creamynoteblock

1.8 or 1.9?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. pvp

This debate has been had so many times that you're all wasting your breath. Tech need to spend their time on more important things like the fishing plugin.

https://strawpoll.com/9jfoe499j

Why go back, just learn 1.9 we all had to when the update came in, you guys just stuck in the past still lolll even if the server went back and it was 1.8, got to fix your lag issue on a lower number fight first 

It's not just that 1.9 pvp is difficult to learn. 1.9 pvp has a higher skill floor and a lower skill ceiling. It's a skill ventilation duct, one you have to wriggle through like a worm. Memorize a bunch of timers and tedious mechanical inputs to stay alive, but still feel handicapped from making plays by lag, swing timers and saturation health regen which un-does any damage you do. Surge PvP only adds to the problem by dumping a bunch of new timers and status effects that, while making combat less straightforward, doesn't actually add extra skill expression. There is a cap on how much damage you are able to do, and an odious saturation mechanic which rewards you for eating a steak while someone combos you and running away.

1.8 pvp is a glorious skill meadow with a vast open sky. Once you master the only real mechanical challenge of timing your sprint with your attacks (which really just involves tapping w or shift in sync with left click) and the rest of the skill expression is movement, positioning, and tracking. It is the thinking man's minecraft combat, a pvp minigame that allows you to be a Grand Strategist - predict your opponent's movement, strafe around their aim and combo them. Simple enough to master, but with enough extra complexity to be satisfying. There's also a real sense of speed and tempo that is immensely satisfying to my lizard brain.

All of this is to say there's a reason other minecraft networks with much heavier server loads and more stringent technical limits find out how to make 1.8 PvP work. 1.8 PvP is the GOAT, the big earner, the crowd pleaser. If it's impossible to implement on LoTC for technical reasons, then we should accept that PvP is no longer one of our strengths, and try to make other mechanics (resource gathering, brewing, cooking) rewarding instead. 

I still think there are some quality of life changes that could make 1.9 pvp better, if not as good as 1.8. First of which is replacing saturation with flat/no regen - no more shoveling steak in your mouth when someone gets the drop on you, you always know based on your healthbar when to engage an opponent or when to run away. Hunger is an annoying mechanic anyway, forcing people to scarf down entire meals in the middle of polite conversation in RP, so I can't see how it would be missed. The second idea would be to make food heal a small, flat amount of HP, like Grass in Demon's Souls, allowing players to heal out of combat or make risk-reward plays based on positioning. And third would be to cut out RNG. Status effects are a fun idea in concept but compound on the problem of learned helplessness that 1.9 induces. Stuns, bleed etc. could all be induced by consumables or could reward some other mechanic with extra damage.

1.9 with any bit of lag is ******* miserable. hope and pray that your hit will register. makes warclaims an utter joke

also, like char said, 1.9 has a high skill floor and a low skill ceiling. that's a big problem. see, any moron can be decent at 1.8 pvp. you will be schooled in a 1v1 against anyone good, of course, BUT even if you've never pvp'd before in your life, you can still contribute to group fights. whereas in 1.9 if you're a bad pvper, even one with a bit of experience that just isn't very good, you're utterly worthless even in group fights. you're not gonna contribute even the slightest and you'll be lucky to get any damage in.

i'm only a bit bad at 1.9 pvp, not awful, but I do lag on lotc and so I tend to fight a lot worse here than on other servers because of that, and it's the most frustrating and miserable experience. whereas with 1.8 pvp? i'm not great at that either, but I always have fun, win or lose. because even if you're terrible at 1.8, you can deal some damage and feel like you did something, but with 1.9 you're just frustrated that you're literally helpless. 

On 6/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, MailC3p said:

you mean to tell me 40 people is your baseline for why you think we  should bring 1.8 back to lotc? that is absolutley ridiculous.

40 people spread out across an entire map 1v1ing eachother?? okay.

i've seen 50 or 60 people fights in Almaris where it didn't lag a bit, does that mean we should keep 1.9?? just a few weeks ago a buncha tripartite people (i forgot how many, i think somewhere between 50-70?) rallied and fought Ferrymen + BV at the Norland  Ferrymen keep and there was no lag at all in a battle of like 90 people. during the siege of Haverlock with over 200 people fighting at the same time, there was lag but barely any at all, you would hit a person and half a second later they would take damage. during the sutican war in Arcas, even a battle as small as a 5v5 was enough to crash the entire  server sometimes. at the end of the day i would love 1.8 to come back as it's a way lower of a skill gap, means people like the ferrymen or blackvale are less valuable as everyone can left click really quick,  but with the performance boosts i've  seen during Almaris vs Arcas i just don't see it being reasonable.

Are you referring to the raid on shipwreck keep where server tps was 11 and you had to hold your bows for extra time and use warhammers to do the damage of a long sword? I like both 1.8 and 1.9 but saying that a fight like that was lagless is major cope. The lag on arcas wasn’t caused by 1.8 pvp if you recall we were going through a period where the server tps was constantly at 1-4 tps. Even without pvp going on.

this is a roleplay server, but if I absolutely had to choose I'd say 1.9, requires actual skill and timing rather than a dragclicking mouse

Lets talk abt grass

Grass is a type of plant with narrow leaves growing from the base. A common kind of grass is used to cover the ground in places such as lawns and parks. Grass is usually the color/colour ‘green’. Grasses are monocotyledon herbaceous plants. The grasses include the "grass" of the family Poaceae. This family is also called Gramineae. The family also include some of the sedges (Cyperaceae) and the rushes (Juncaceae).[1] These three families are not closely related but all of them belong to clades in the order Poales. They are similar adaptations to a common life-style.
The true grasses include cereals, bamboo and the grasses of lawns (turf) and grassland. Uses for graminoids include food (as grain, sprouted grain, shoots or rhizomes), drink (beer, whisky), pasture for livestock, thatching thatch, paper, fuel, clothing, insulation, construction, sports turf, basket weaving and many others. Many grasses are short, but some grasses can grow very tall, such as Bamboo. Plants from the grass family can grow in many places and make grasslands, including areas which are very arid or cold. There are several other plants that look similar to grass and are referred to as such, but are not members of the grass family. These plants include rushes, reeds, papyrus and water chestnut. Seagrass is a monocot in the order Alismatales. Grasses are an important food for many animals, such as deer, buffalo, cattle, mice, grasshoppers, caterpillars and many other grazers. Unlike other plants, grasses grow from the bottom, so when animals eat grass they usually do not destroy the part that grows.[2] This is a part of why the plants are successful. Without grass, soil may wash away into rivers (erosion). If you guys are nerd about tanks we will talk about it now. ;) The Panther KF51 is a German main battle tank (MBT) that is under development by Rheinmetall Landsysteme (part of Rheinmetall's Vehicle Systems division). It was unveiled publicly at the Eurosatory defence exhibition on 13 June 2022.[2] KF is short for "Kettenfahrzeug", the German word for "tracked vehicle".[3] Type Main battle tank Place of origin Germany Production history Designer Rheinmetall (Krauss-Maffei Wegmann) Designed Commenced 2016 Specifications Mass 59 t (65 short tons; 58 long tons) Crew 3–4 Commander (turret) Gunner (turret) Driver (hull) Additional crew member (hull) (Each workstation can hand over and take over tasks and roles from others with no reduction of functionality) Main armament Rh-130 L/52 130 mm smoothbore gun (up to 20 ready rounds)[1] Secondary armament 12.7 mm coaxial machine gun (250 ready rounds), 7.62 mm NATTER RCWS (2,500 rounds) and optional HERO 120 loitering ammunitions[1] Engine MTU MB 873 Ka-501 V-12 water-cooled diesel 1103 kW at 2600 rpm Power/weight 25 hp/t Transmission Renk HSWL 354 Suspension torsion bar Fuel capacity 1,100 l (242 imp gal; 291 US gal) The KF51 is based on the hull of the Leopard 2A4.[4] A new turret is to be mounted on the Leopard 2; the main gun is an autoloaded 130 mm calibre.[4] On 5 December 2022 Rheinmetall announced that it plans to mainly target existing Leopard 2 operators with the KF51.[5] For the man who said do water I will now do water. Water is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula H2O. It is a transparent, tasteless, odorless,[a] and nearly colorless chemical substance, and it is the main constituent of Earth's hydrosphere and the fluids of all known living organisms (in which it acts as a solvent[1]). It is vital for all known forms of life, despite not providing food, energy or organic micronutrients. Its chemical formula, H2O, indicates that each of its molecules contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms, connected by covalent bonds. The hydrogen atoms are attached to the oxygen atom at an angle of 104.45°.[2] "Water" is also the name of the liquid state of H2O at standard temperature and pressure.Names IUPAC name Water Systematic IUPAC name Oxidane Identifiers CAS Number 7732-18-5 ECHA InfoCard 100.028.902 Edit this at Wikidata PubChem CID 962 CompTox Dashboard (EPA) DTXSID6026296 Edit this at Wikidata Properties Chemical formula H2O Molar mass 18.015 g·mol−1 Appearance Nearly colourless liquid or nearly colourless solid (blue if looked through thick layers of water) or colourless gas Density Liquid: 0.9998396 g/mL at 0 °C 0.999972 at ~4 °C (Max.) 0.9970474 g/mL at 25 °C Solid: 0.9167 g/mL at 0 °C Melting point 0.00 °C (32.00 °F; 273.15 K) Boiling point 99.98 °C (211.96 °F; 373.13 K)Except otherwise noted, data are given for material in their standard state (at 25°C [77 °F 100kPa).Because Earth's environment is relatively close to water's triple point, water exists on earth as a solid, liquid, and gas.[3] It forms precipitation in the form of rain and aerosols in the form of fog. Clouds consist of suspended droplets of water and ice, its solid state. When finely divided, crystalline ice may precipitate in the form of snow. The gaseous state of water is steam or water vapor. Water covers about 71% of the Earth's surface, with seas and oceans making up most of the water volume on earth (about 96.5%).[4] Small portions of water occur as groundwater (1.7%), in the glaciers and the ice caps of Antarctica and Greenland (1.7%), and in the air as vapor, clouds (consisting of ice and liquid water suspended in air), and precipitation (0.001%).[5][6] Water moves continually through the water cycle of evaporation, transpiration (evapotranspiration), condensation, precipitation, and runoff, usually reaching the sea. Water plays an important role in the world economy. Approximately 70% of the freshwater used by humans goes to agriculture.[7] Fishing in salt and fresh water bodies has been, and continues to be, a major source of food for many parts of the world, providing 6.5% of global protein.[8] Much of the long-distance trade of commodities (such as oil, natural gas, and manufactured products) is transported by boats through seas, rivers, lakes, and canals. Large quantities of water, ice, and steam are used for cooling and heating, in industry and homes. Water is an excellent solvent for a wide variety of substances both mineral and organic; as such it is widely used in industrial processes, and in cooking and washing. Water, ice and snow are also central to many sports and other forms of entertainment, such as swimming, pleasure boating, boat racing, surfing, sport fishing, diving, ice skating and skiing.

In conclusion, touch some grass