Discussion: Surge Swing Timers

ronin_champloo

Yo, what are everyone’s thoughts on the custom swing timers that we use for surge rn? Do you like them, or would you prefer base minecraft swing timers for pvp

personally, I’m of the mind that they feel incredibly chunky and it makes combat slower than what it already is. As an old pvper, I kind of prefer vanilla swing timers as it feels more fluid, less janky and less slow. Obviously, this is just my opinion but I also feel that noobs find it harder to train with it off-server due to how different it is to base minecraft — genuinely believe it’d make pvp faster and less boring if the swing timers were returned to normal MC, otherwise I’m p happy with the current pvp system right now.

If anything, I feel like medium weapons should be as fast as basic swords in vanilla MC, and large weapons should be as fast as axes

thoughts fellas?

On more thought, maybe getting rid of the 20 hearts would be nice as well. Not too sure IMO

At this point, I enjoy the variation in PvP playstyles rather than everything being the same. I don't find timers particularly clunky, only that they allow for more player choice based on skill and preference. It facilitates slow warhammer crit-spammers and rapid combo'ers all the same, allowing people to fight in the way that they like best, which I think is good. 

I don't think removing the second row of hearts is viable, especially due to Surge procs. 

5 hours ago, PXY said:

On more thought, maybe getting rid of the 20 hearts would be nice as well. Not too sure IMO

Personally Think this is a bad idea. Especallly how current pvp works. Plus it seems harmless enough to keep. Just more HP.

I don't like how the 'normal' weapons (spear, longsword) have a swing time that's a little slower than vanilla. Should just be vanilla timers IMO

Rest of the stuff like warhammers and shortswords are fine idc

5 hours ago, PXY said:

NONONONONONO ONO NONONO ONO O NONONONONONONONO

Yeah, if you want to make spear and long sword have vanilla swing timers, that is a step in the right direction for 1.9 PvP, still though, I would rather be focusing resources on changing the server back over to 1.8.

There is no reason a roleplay server needs to use the more sweaty PvP version. There is a reason servers like hypixel etc use 1.8 PvP, because it is more accessible.

24 minutes ago, LatzMomo said:

Yeah, if you want to make spear and long sword have vanilla swing timers, that is a step in the right direction for 1.9 PvP, still though, I would rather be focusing resources on changing the server back over to 1.8.

There is no reason a roleplay server needs to use the more sweaty PvP version. There is a reason servers like hypixel etc use 1.8 PvP, because it is more accessible.

Yeah that’s fair, I just don’t think we’ll ever get 1.8 again — even if the community wants it. Just wanna make the best of the situation we have rn

3 hours ago, Priceflash said:

unironically going back to 1.8 timers and readding diamond armor would probably be more fire

God I wish

4 hours ago, creamynoteblock said:

I don't like how the 'normal' weapons (spear, longsword) have a swing time that's a little slower than vanilla. Should just be vanilla timers IMO

Rest of the stuff like warhammers and shortswords are fine idc

Yeah that’s completely fair, it’s always felt clunky to me bc of this