I see only fire

Smmer

Bittersweet - a flavor akin to that of ash and candy rests forever upon my tongue. The scorching sensation, stinging still upon my weakened face as if she had repeatedly continued her savage beating, her own child. How could she have taken from me what I took for granted. I see her there, still within my dreams.. Her mocking tone forever more echoing within my ears like that of a banshee's cry. 

I warned you not to see him.. I told you to stay away from that boy - and yet you go behind my back! Miserable rat, may you never see your precious beloved again!”

A scorching hot knife slashing repeatedly upon my eyes, mercilessly she carved scars upon my frail face as if she were carving a macabre pumpkin. That day I saw nothing anymore, I no longer saw my mother.. My beloved - nor the world around me. It was darkness that embraced me first with her cold hands.

She has always been a bitter woman, ever since father died. I didn't think she would take her anger out on me for finding love yet - here I lie alone in bed, engulfed in nothing more than forgotten visions of days past and yet nothing to come of days ahead. For no longer can I see before me, I am weak - I am left to the wolves and if this is not my final night then may a wild animal take me to rest.. I am tired. I have grown exhausted of such a life.. I just wish to be free, unbound by these earthly chains that restrain me to the living realm.

To think of the endless agonizing hours spent within the dark, within the void that I am now forever supposed to be engulfed by, as scrying hands that try to pull me further down, within the depths of cold pure isolation, why was it that I took my sight for granted.. For now I lay within my bed with eyes open, frightful of my dreams for what they make me remember, of what I have tried to forget and push aside.  Perhaps some sleep will do me justice, perhaps this night it will be over and I wake cold as fresh snow fallen upon the ground. Escaping from this endless abyss that feels unwelcoming to those who can no longer see its beauty for what it is. 

A sudden flash of light disrupted the woman's otherwise uneventful slumber, discomforted by the blinding aura she would take her arm shielding herself from the blinding rays that now sought to blind her even in her own dreams.  

“Am I not allowed to rest? Why do you taunt me in such a way!” she spoke aloud, almost screaming out to the light that shone down upon her. 

As quickly as it came, so did it disappear, for only but a few seconds before she would feel the warmth of the light wrap around her body, arms engulfing her in a tight hug - one that she could only understand as something familiar to her.. A sensation like that of something she had lost a long time ago. The body made no sound, nor spoke instead it would conjure a pair of golden bandages and carefully wrapped them around her eyes. A softened voice would then whisper within Delphi’s ears “Keep your eyes covered”, comforting her in a way only a father knew how to. Despite the strange apparition before her it seemed to know that a woman so far below as her would do anything, even that of a disembodied voice. 

As daylight broke the warmth of the sun's rays spurred some movement from the woman, awakening her from her sleep, it seems she had forgotten the interaction, but not the message that the disembodied voice had told her. Choosing to keep the bandages wrapped around her eyes… she sensed something familiar within the voice that spoke to her that night, having nothing else to lose she decided to follow its wishes thoroughly.