[Your View] - Transition Builds, Hubs and Roads

squakhawk

Re the colonization aspect -- this is what the 'map end event' should actually be.

Needless to say, we're all tired of the ham-fisted trope of some 'unanticipated' disaster forcing us off our homeland, so why don't we borrow a leaf from real-world history and incorporate colonization as a more core concept that both (a) serves as a new, fresh, and immersive way to end the map; and (b) provide a better basis for how the next continent is settled.

A - Map End: Like I said above, we really shouldn't perpetuate the whole calamity stuff. Like in real history, we should look at a narrative where we migrate not because we're forced to, but because we want to. As Almaris drags on, through the course of some eventline, various nations and factions learn about this new land overseas; a land rich in resources, a land of fertile soil, or maybe cultural significance, that serves as a beacon for the Descendant races to send expeditions that eventually come to colonize it, building up new cities and civilizations that eclipse Almaris and prompt the relocation of royal courts and capitals. Obviously, even as a preliminary concept, there are a lot of creases to iron out with something like this - i.e., why nations might fully relocate to this new colony - but nothing that can't be worked out with a bit of brain-power.

B - Colonization RP: It's definitely true that it's a bit jarring when you step onto the new land and all the cities or whatever are built, but also because you know nothing about this new land except it looks a bit different in the sense that the plain, bland biomes are in a different pattern. We should have a narrative connection to the map, even just as a very broad, simple overarching concept, from the get-go, which goes hand-in-hand with a colonization event-line, which should ideally take the form of Descendant expeditions finding the new continent, exploring it, and setting it up for it becoming the main Descendant colony in the future. The process of this colonization RP - which should, as a base concept, take the form of the Athera eventline done right - would provide this narrative and immersive basis for when the Descendants move over to the new colony in full.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, Mio said:

It WOULD be cooler if 80% of it could be used with the altitude not changing every 5 blocks and all being mountainy ****-off areas.

So, question here. I did the WorldPainting for Arcas and Atlas (meaning all the terrain for the map) when you say terrain changing every 5 blocks do you mean like it’s small rolling hills and it’s not plains everywhere so that’s a problem? I talked to SoulReapingWolf about this recently in discord but I couldn’t really get a firm grasp on what he meant. 
Did Arcas have the terrain change you’re talking about every 5 blocks? 

Also on the notion of “buildability” how much should aesthetics be sacrificed to ensure that someone’s can just plop a house down on a perfectly flat piece of land?

I only ask because when you remove the variance in terrain it becomes very flat and boring very quickly. This is especially true when you consider lotc’s very short server render distance it restricts players to.

Haven't played in ages so can't speak on the OP but here's some more old map ideas that might help your imagination..

3yW71xP.png

Fd7VXlb.png

edit: yes i know rivers don't split IRL and whatnot ty

Edited by shiftnative

10 hours ago, shiftnative said:

Haven't played in ages so can't speak on the OP but here's some more old map ideas that might help your imagination..

3yW71xP.png

Fd7VXlb.png

edit: yes i know rivers don't split IRL and whatnot ty

ty king

No paste ins or creative. Everyone should build everything by hand. Naturally creates roleplay as people build and gather together.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:17 PM, Qizu said:

Nation/Settlement Implementation
As I was a nation leader during the last transition I can say that it was quite stressful. We were given a server to build on ran through LOTC which was very generous, however we were met with so many build restrictions and threats. We were told if we made significant terrain edits our build would not be pasted in. faced harsh criticism from WT members and so on while as you can see at the start of the map there were many builds who severely altered terrain, for example Oren and their massive walls or the starting Elvenesse build. Alongside this some nations were given massive groupings of tiles not allowing for new rp development on the server and just consisted of horrendous pvp forts etcetra.

I hope next build transition nations are given respect and instead of criticism and threats perhaps you guys lend a helping hand. I also think that getting builds pasted in free of charge was a very good system however I do have a recommendation.

You could require nations to submit their main nation build on top of an encampment as well. For the first month of the new map nations would have their encampment pasted into a starting tile. In this time they would be unable to do their main/actual paste however they would be able to establish more territories (claiming other tiles). They would be able to do this by establishing more encampment and after the 1 month passes and these encampment had sustainable activity they would be able to begin pasting onto them. This would make good dispute roleplay between the other nations as realistically whenever you move to new lands nations aren't given 10+ tiles worth of territory by minecraft skygod admins. At the end of the one month the nations would be able to begin their main pastes after sustaining their encampment rp and would be able to get the paste in free of charge. 

Merely an idea, hope it can inspire more!

Roads
As per roads and travel hubs I would love to see players being spawned at their racial hub when they begin, however they would be able to /cex and set their nationality to respawn at whichever nation they choose. Once this is done we could simply establish roads in a semi-straight line between each of the settlements. For the start of course I would just add roads to the starting encampments (going off of my idea above here) allowing players to know which way to get to the others. As more tiles are captured and towns established obviously we could add more. Think of this as a free-world map such as in Red Dead Redemption. Every town has a road going to it there is no spawning hub! I also saw the mention of zones, if the staff chose something similar to this it would be cool to see startup towns or even taverns that ST and staff can utilize for staff shops, bounty board events, or just general event roleplay interactions. Example, NPC towns!

This sounds like a Soft Reboot for Charters which I enjoyed (If it was on permanently after the first month it'd be a good way to get new settlements without the "Prove your worth" Method that's currently in place) 

On 6/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, Xarkly said:

Re the colonization aspect -- this is what the 'map end event' should actually be.

Needless to say, we're all tired of the ham-fisted trope of some 'unanticipated' disaster forcing us off our homeland, so why don't we borrow a leaf from real-world history and incorporate colonization as a more core concept that both (a) serves as a new, fresh, and immersive way to end the map; and (b) provide a better basis for how the next continent is settled.

A - Map End: Like I said above, we really shouldn't perpetuate the whole calamity stuff. Like in real history, we should look at a narrative where we migrate not because we're forced to, but because we want to. As Almaris drags on, through the course of some eventline, various nations and factions learn about this new land overseas; a land rich in resources, a land of fertile soil, or maybe cultural significance, that serves as a beacon for the Descendant races to send expeditions that eventually come to colonize it, building up new cities and civilizations that eclipse Almaris and prompt the relocation of royal courts and capitals. Obviously, even as a preliminary concept, there are a lot of creases to iron out with something like this - i.e., why nations might fully relocate to this new colony - but nothing that can't be worked out with a bit of brain-power.

B - Colonization RP: It's definitely true that it's a bit jarring when you step onto the new land and all the cities or whatever are built, but also because you know nothing about this new land except it looks a bit different in the sense that the plain, bland biomes are in a different pattern. We should have a narrative connection to the map, even just as a very broad, simple overarching concept, from the get-go, which goes hand-in-hand with a colonization event-line, which should ideally take the form of Descendant expeditions finding the new continent, exploring it, and setting it up for it becoming the main Descendant colony in the future. The process of this colonization RP - which should, as a base concept, take the form of the Athera eventline done right - would provide this narrative and immersive basis for when the Descendants move over to the new colony in full.

If you take this approach, you could have a disaster event fire a month or so after colonization starts; giving a reason for nations to relocate, and the new settlements to feel natural and fit in.