With these eyes I see

Rattussmackus

The words blurred as she sat in bed that night, reading against the candlelight. Hali slept beside her, a small thing, the only child she felt she had left. 

Astrid sighed gently, deciding it was time to sleep as it was useless to read over blurred words.

A deep breath.

A long sigh.

“Okay open, how is it?”

She opens her eyes on command, still blurred. She shakes her head in defeat, a scoff coming from her “Nothing.”

Nothing. So much so that she was scared. Why her? Why did she have to go through this and not someone else? That was a selfish thought, she decided, clasping her hands together. Why would she want someone else going through this?

But she wants to see her children, the smile on their faces, the tears that stain their cheeks. She wants to see the colour of their eyes. But she can’t.

“I don’t want to see anything at all.” She decides, wrapping the bandage around her eyes. Nothing at all feels better than the hopeful blur.

Astrid was suffering from heartbreak, she was ready to give up everything. Give up on life. She was weak, her left leg paralysed and her right leg slowly going numb and now her eyes were of no use.

Yet, she persisted. She was a mother, a fighter. She would push on through it all, through the blindness, through the paralyses…she would push on.

“With these eyes, I’ve seen death, torture and dispair. With these eyes, I’ve seen pain and anguish. With these eyes, I’ve seen mourning and loss.”

“With these eyes, I’ve seen joy and happiness. With these eyes, I’ve seen new life and spring. With these eyes, I’ve seen flourish and smiles.”

“With these eyes, I may no longer see but with these eyes, I may remember.”

Spoiler

OOC: Due to some issues I have shelved Astrid for a little bit until I feel motivated to play her again. This is my first time shelving Astrid in about five or six months but I wanted a little update on what’s happening in her life because I like making posts about her, heh. Anyways, she’s blind now and wears a bandage over her face. Much swag, much cool.